Odell Beckham

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Looked like a damn fool in the Giants/Panthers game. I'll credit him for his pushoff on Josh Norman to score but his actions on the field today should've resulted in him being ejected from the game long before the game ended. Helmet to helmet hits, unnecessary roughness and late hits. Wake up zebras. Poor display of character throughout the game for a guy who represents that team as their primary offensive target. Does he deserve to be fined?

I saw & heard a bit of what went down during half time the couple of games I watched to day. I am a bit ashamed to say I'm a Giants fan right now to be honest. What they should be talking about is how close the Giants came to handing Carolina their first loss but instead it's this. Complete disrespect to the Panthers and individual players.

Should he be fined? That's up to the League & I'm sure we'll hear something after their investigation.

Do I want him to be fined? Yes I do actually. A few grand won't be dent his bank account but hopefully he'll think twice before being a jackass again.

Carolina underestimated NY. They're a talented team despite missing Victor Cruz, the JPP fireworks incident, Jon Beason's inability to stay healthy and Hakeem Nicks being a non-factor this time around. They need a vet in the locker room that'll take these guys like Beckham under their arm and teach them how to keep their composure.

In OBJ defense I feel the dropped pass frustrated him and Josh Norman and Cortland Finnegan got under his skin. In his defense however, he is only in his second year and is suddenly looked at as the man on that team(no disrespect to Eli). It was a great game and I hope he learns from his actions today going forward. There has to be accountability for his actions. While Norman played his part too, I feel most of Norman's meltdown on the field were because of the cheap shots from ODJ.

Sadly this is all the media wants to see. They've been hyping this matchup between him and Norman all week. Both are competitors and one wanted to prove to be better than the other because the emphasis on the matchup . It went beyond wins and loses between them two and was just an all out one on one affair all game. Just look at the penalties between the two, 5 or 6 altogether? They both put their teams in tough situations.

I am a huge OBJ fan. I think he's an incredible athlete with a lot of talent, and he's pretty much one of the sole reasons the Giants have been sticking around these last two seasons. As a young player in the NFL I'm sure there is a lot of pressure, and I am sure he has probably been stressing out for reasons we don't know all the details to.

With that being said, that is no damn excuse for what he did today. He is not only a professional athlete, he is the face of the Giant's franchise. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and label this as a meltdown. It happens to all of us every once in a while. But Odell needs to hold himself to a higher standard.

I am very big on the idea that football players are not role models, and should not be treated as such. I hate when people use the term "He's supposed to be a role model" when talking about football players doing bad things off the field, or in Beckham's case on it. Role models are mom and dad, police officers, firefighters, EMTs, soldiers...NOT football players. If your kid has an athlete role model, you're the one doing something wrong. However, I coach and work with kids in youth sports. I manage the field for our youth programs on the weekends. I just played with a kid today who is a huge Odell Beckham fan. He always tries to recreate his catches...with me as QB, and trust me I'm not a good QB...anyway, it just makes me think what that kid's response to OBJ would be.

The truth to my role model comments though, is the sad thing is these players are role models for kids. A lot of them don't get that from their parents, so they look else where. It's awful, but when there isn't anyone else for the kids to look up to I guess they don't have a choice. This needs to be a one time thing. Beckham is one of my favorite players. I have him on my keeper league fantasy team. I want him to be a great guy and someone those kids can look up to.

Hopefully what happened today was just a meltdown. If Beckham is going to be at the level of Calvin Johnson, or Larry Fitzgerald, or Jerry Rice, he needs to adopt their attitudes too. Other wise he'll be a Chad Ochocinco.

When Cortland freaking Finnegan is ripping you for inexcusable fighting, you have a problem. Which, the way the Panthers have reacted and responded on social media is just as unprofessional. They won the game, there is no need to keep poking this. Similar to what the Steelers did last week with their comments and the entire situation with them and Burfict. You won the damn game, move on and let it go. Or at least keep it in the locker room.

Larry Fitzgerald would be a great 'role model'. Despite Arizona being hit or miss throughout his career he has remained loyal and consistent despite the parade of QBs in his career, coaches and players. I forget he's even in the league half the time because he's not a highlight for Analysts to discuss often.

That's why I emphasized having a vet around him that'll keep him in check. All he has is his WR Coach that'll yank him aside and talk to him?

Odell reached out to Deion Sanders wanting him to mediate an apology between him and Josh Norman. I'd hope he apologizes to his team and fans. Of course Deion being Deion announced it on air. If he feels the need to apologize to Norman he should've handled that privately instead of taking it public. I wouldn't have Deion mediate it because it's as simple as Odell getting Norman's number and hashing it.

Odell reached out to Deion Sanders wanting him to mediate an apology between him and Josh Norman. I'd hope he apologizes to his team and fans. Of course Deion being Deion announced it on air. If he feels the need to apologize to Norman he should've handled that privately instead of taking it public. I wouldn't have Deion mediate it because it's as simple as Odell getting Norman's number and hashing it.

I'm sure OBJ is going to apologize to anyone it may concern: teammates, fans, Norman, Roger Goodell, whoever. He's clearly already in damage control mode. It's exactly why you go to a Deion Sanders for mediation. It's a publicity move. Of course it's as easy as calling Josh Norman and/or sending the guy a card and a nice fruit basket, but that doesn't do anything for the millions of people around the world who watched in disgust as he pulled that stuff and confusion as he didn't get sent to the showers. Plus, say what you will about his persona or bombast, Deion Sanders is a decent man who does his share of philanthropy and mentoring. He can speak from a place of experience as well, as this OBJ/Norman ordeal is reminiscent of similar in-game turmoil between Sanders and former teammate Andre Rison one time in Deion's younger days.

The game became so good that this is, for me, relegated to a subplot. I don't have kids that look up to NFL players, and I don't care if defenders play mind games or give receivers the business. The Seahawks recently won a Super Bowl thanks in large part to a secondary who wagered that the zebras wouldn't throw a flag every play, so the approach has merit. That said, while Norman clearly got the rise out of Beckham he wanted, it almost backfired big time. The hit in the head could've been worse, of course, but the Panthers' collective team attitude and all the chippy stuff that happened got the Giants worked into a 28-point, game tying frenzy. Good game. Stupid kid. He'll learn from it.

Good point on the mediation part, didn't quite look at it that way.

I like the fact the refs let them go at it for the most part but considering the issues with concussions there should've been an ejection for that helmet to helmet hit. Perhaps not a suspension but a hefty fine. If they suspend OBJ then the officiating crew that allowed him to remain in the game afterwards should be suspended(of course that's unlikely to happen).

There's no doubt OBJ was a fool for doing what he did, but since the beginning of the season, I've wondered if the defenses of each opponent have been 'testing' him in an effort to throw a young, highly effective performer off his game.

Is this something opposing teams do when they see someone whom they can tell is going to be hurting them for years to come?

Or is OBJ simply an immature hothead who doesn't feel the other team has the right to hit him in the open field?

In any event, if that's what the other teams are doing, they're getting what they want, no? Sooner or later, Odell gets thrown out of a game, which is just what the opposing defense is looking for.

Actually on second thought that's fine if he wants to apologize to the league, teammates and fan. Let that be his publicity stunt. But whatever issues that happened on the field between him and Norman should be hashed strictly between them two. Beckham was asked in the post-game interview if Norman said or did anything to him that ignited his meltdown and he admitted no.

I respect Deion on the field and often times respect his opinion as an analyst looking at it from a former player perspective. Deion is only going to make this all about himself. I'd bet money he initiated this mediation(which is fine). Again if OBJ wants to go this avenue as a PR stunt that's fine but leave Norman out of it. As of this writing Norman has yet to be baited into this crap.

Apologize to Norman privately and move on, note it ESPN they've squashed it and that's it. From that point if Odell really wants to make amends he'll respect the game from now on. I think that will say more for his character than anything because now every corner knows how to get him off his game.

Hats off to the Giants for not folding under that 28 point deficit and rallying back as well as OBJ redeeming himself to tie the game. It's just unfortunate that such a great game was overshadowed by the atrocious actions on the field. Carolina got caught idling late in the 3rd quarter and Eli played great down the stretch. Praise to the Giants defense for their forced fumble and blocked field goal. Unfortunately all that will go unnoticed.

I think it's time for the Giants to move on from Tom Coughlin. The staff did a piss poor job of putting their star receiver in his place and even more ridiculous role by allowing him to remain on the field in spite of his mounting penalties and helmet to helmet hit. If I was the GM I would've laid into the Coach for his inability to contain OBJ. What was his response to the media; "I didn't take him out the game obviously". Had he and his staff put him in his place early then this meltdown might not have happened and the Giants may not have been surrending field position due to these penalties. There's more to blame here than just the player - at the end of day he's a 22 or 23 year old kid.

Had (Coughlin) and his staff put him in his place early then this meltdown might not have happened and the Giants may not have been surrending field position due to these penalties.

And what about Eli Manning? He was in the best position to say something to OBJ, being that the WR had to return to the huddle after each play. Did Eli say something to the guy?

Maybe he did, but since Eli can hardly be viewed as an effective leader, OBJ might have ignored him. After all, if Eli's words to his team are as lame as his quotes to the press, I can see his teammates tuning out.

Media: 'What do you have to do to turn things around?'
Eli: 'We have to play better.'

Technically, he's correct....but who's gonna be inspired by that?

The league should suspend OBJ a game or two. Being forced to sit out and watch his teammates play would reach him in ways Coughlin or Eli fail to.

What really bothers me is how Norman is on a little press tour right now, bitching and moaning, lobbying to make sure that OBJ is suspended for his actions. What a total wuss. After the Rison/Sanders fight you didn't see either guy running to the media saying the other should be suspended. Afterward they let bygones be bygones and left it all on the field, like how professionals are supposed to do it.

OBJ deserves a big fine, no doubt, but I think a suspension is definitely pushing it, especially when Adam "Pacman" Jones wasn't suspended for slamming Amari Cooper's head into into the ground after the play was over. The only reason this is getting so much press is because it's a superstar receiver who pulled this stunt. If it was some nobody, or a defensive player who head hunted, no one would care. But people have it out for OBJ because most likely they're just jealous he's not on their favorite team and that leads to a very biased opinion.

Anyway, I loved what happened yesterday. It was great old school, dramatic football. No one was injured or even hurt for a play. The problem is just America has been sissified and babies like Norman make it worse when they constantly cry to the media after harsh play, which is just even more baffling when Norman has a reputation of being dirty and pulling similar antics himself.

If he isn't suspended for the rest of the season, its one of the most transparent cases of favoritism ever in sports.

People get suspended for one game for ACCIDENTALLY doing what he did, and that's not even counting the video of him punching opposing players not once, but twice.

The NFL has been so glaringly overwhelmingly all over this guys balls for his entire carreer that its fucking disgusting. He is their little ordained golden boy because of the team he plays for, and penchant for flashy plays. Now his NY pro team is going on primetime sunday night? They will pull the trigger on his suspension with the most grinded of gritted teeth.

After ALL of the fucking talk about protecting its players and the honor of the game, this HAS to fucking happen. They were ready to suspend Tom Brady four games because he "probably knew" about a couple of PSI being let out of some footballs....and now you have OBJ clearly and blatantly trying to give someone a brain injury, if not breaking his fucking neck.

The fact its taken this long, and that he wasn't ejected in the first place is outrageous in and of itself.

What really bothers me is how Norman is on a little press tour right now, bitching and moaning, lobbying to make sure that OBJ is suspended for his actions. What a total wuss. After the Rison/Sanders fight you didn't see either guy running to the media saying the other should be suspended. Afterward they let bygones be bygones and left it all on the field, like how professionals are supposed to do it.

And they were both within the rules. Nothing dirty about it. OBJ gave him a totally blindsided fully loaded helmet to helmet hit. It was about as much of a dirty, pussy move that someone could do, other than cutting his knees from the side intentionally.

Aw wittle baby who everyone fawns over didn't get his way? Got roughed up a little? So then he gets to blindside someone outside of the rules? fuck that.

If it was some nobody, or a defensive player who head hunted, no one would care.

The NFL literally altering the entire way the game is played certainly backs up this claim :lmao:

As a SAINTS FAN I can't BELIVE you could type this :lmao:

But people have it out for OBJ because most likely they're just jealous he's not on their favorite team and that leads to a very biased opinion.

Says the die hard LSU fan :lmao:

Anyway, I loved what happened yesterday. It was great old school, dramatic football. No one was injured or even hurt for a play.

By sheer luck alone, and the fact that OBJ hits like a pussy.

Norman has a reputation of being dirty and pulling similar antics himself.

No one started calling him "dirty" til he shut down every golden boy diva WR in the league. Before, he just talked a lot of shit and had great physical skills. Funny how the narrative changed once he started killing everyones favorite playmakers.

Everything he does is within the rules, and right in someones face. The same can not be said of OBJ's actions. Far from it.

And what about Eli Manning? He was in the best position to say something to OBJ, being that the WR had to return to the huddle after each play. Did Eli say something to the guy?

Maybe he did, but since Eli can hardly be viewed as an effective leader, OBJ might have ignored him. After all, if Eli's words to his team are as lame as his quotes to the press, I can see his teammates tuning out.

Media: 'What do you have to do to turn things around?'
Eli: 'We have to play better.'

Technically, he's correct....but who's gonna be inspired by that?

The league should suspend OBJ a game or two. Being forced to sit out and watch his teammates play would reach him in ways Coughlin or Eli fail to.

Eli isn't a vocal leader, doesn't seem to ever have been. That's why I was not phased by him saying nothing to OBJ during the game. This goes back to what I say about the Giants team lacking a vocal locker room later. I center Coughlin because he was more of a disciplined coach in his earlier years and he seems to have 'mellowed' out over the years.

The loudest voice on defense, Jon Beason, is on injured reserve, out of sight. Victor Cruz, a respected player and Super Bowl winner on offense, is on IR again, out of sight. Michael Strahan, Antonio Pierce, Shaun O’Hara and David Diehl can be seen on TV. Chris Snee is watching his boys play sports. Osi Umenyiora is in London. Justin Tuck is in Oakland, on IR. Antrel Rolle is nursing a bad knee in Chicago.

Those guys that would speak up in place of an Eli Manning or Tom Coughlin are gone or ineffective. Again, internal moves have to be made to assure things like this doesn't happen again and it ultimately has to start with the dismissal of Coughlin. 2 SB rings does not justify 4 straight seasons of being absent from the post-season.

OBJ deserves a big fine, no doubt, but I think a suspension is definitely pushing it, especially when Adam "Pacman" Jones wasn't suspended for slamming Amari Cooper's head into into the ground after the play was over. The only reason this is getting so much press is because it's a superstar receiver who pulled this stunt. If it was some nobody, or a defensive player who head hunted, no one would care. But people have it out for OBJ because most likely they're just jealous he's not on their favorite team and that leads to a very biased opinion.

Anyway, I loved what happened yesterday. It was great old school, dramatic football. No one was injured or even hurt for a play. The problem is just America has been sissified and babies like Norman make it worse when they constantly cry to the media after harsh play, which is just even more baffling when Norman has a reputation of being dirty and pulling similar antics himself.

I'm with you on the whole sissification of America. Could you imagine if Kevin McHale/Rambis thing happened today? :lmao::lmao:

That said, I can't help but wonder if your stance would be the same if it were an Alabama or Auburn player taking a cheap shot at an LSU player. Or a Falcons player going after a Saints player. OBJ is an LSU alumni after all... Being that your profile states you're from Baton Rouge, it's hard to not assume that's a factor.

No one should legitimately target someone's head (or anywhere really) like that. Especially getting a running start to do it and it wasn't even during a play. It was after. If the NFL doesn't suspend OBJ, they can kiss all their credit as trying to make the game safer goodbye. They will be completely transparent.

Guys, let's get one thing straight, I'm not a "die-hard" LSU fan. Do I root for LSU? Sure, but I'm nowhere near being as big of a fan of them or of college football in general as I was when I was a kid.

I actually thought OBJ was a bit overrated coming out of college and didn't really start admiring his skills until he started doing what he's done in the NFL.

And they were both within the rules. Nothing dirty about it. OBJ gave him a totally blindsided fully loaded helmet to helmet hit. It was about as much of a dirty, pussy move that someone could do, other than cutting his knees from the side intentionally.

Dude, this all started with Norman body slamming OBJ when the play was over very early in the game.

Aw wittle baby who everyone fawns over didn't get his way? Got roughed up a little? So then he gets to blindside someone outside of the rules? fuck that.

He fought back. Dez Bryant would have cried to the refs, OBJ fought back. I'll take someone who fights back any day.

The NFL literally altering the entire way the game is played certainly backs up this claim :lmao:

Please answer me why Adam Jones wasn't suspended?

As a SAINTS FAN I can't BELIVE you could type this :lmao:

It's still true. Those suspensions came three years after the fact, which is what pissed me off so hard to begin with (not to mention that the Saints were completely innocent).

Says the die hard LSU fan :lmao:

You're better off playing the Fantasy card. I really need OBJ if I make the championship game this week. :lmao:

By sheer luck alone, and the fact that OBJ hits like a pussy.

Still wasn't worse than what Pacman did, and no one was still injured.

No one started calling him "dirty" til he shut down every golden boy diva WR in the league. Before, he just talked a lot of shit and had great physical skills. Funny how the narrative changed once he started killing everyones favorite playmakers.

What? Dude, this is JOSH NORMAN, the same guy who took cheapshots at Cam Newton during camp. Cam kicked his ass and shut it down, but who the fuck takes cheapshots at their superstar teammate?

12391944_10205125207394135_5192111503813073276_n.jpg

That said, I can't help but wonder if your stance would be the same if it were an Alabama or Auburn player taking a cheap shot at an LSU player. Or a Falcons player going after a Saints player. OBJ is an LSU alumni after all... Being that your profile states you're from Baton Rouge, it's hard to not assume that's a factor.

I defend Cam Newton regularly to my friends and family whenever they bitch about his celebrations and showmanship. And I hate the Panthers way more than I do Auburn.

Let's say if this was Megatron who did this instead of OBJ against a Packers player, I still strongly believe I would be on Megatron's side.

What's that got to do with this? It was wrong then, and it would be wrong now.

Well a precedent was set. And to me that was worse than what Odell did.

That said, if OBJ's suspended, I'm not saying I won't understand why (although I pray his appeal allows him to at least play this Sunday :lmao: ), but I still will stress that Norman is a piece of shit and also a pussy for his crying to the media. Fuck that guy, and fuck the Panthers. I can't wait for the Seahawks or Cards to knock them out of the playoffs.

Just imagine if Andre Rison or Deion Sanders have a platform like social media in their primes. I can only imagine the stuff we would see on there before and after a game. Norman is still feeding into this when he shouldn't - Panthers won and he should move on. I do agree with him being upset about the helmet to helmet hit.

League has to do something about it. On the brink of this new Concussion movie coming out this week this would be a bad move if the league just slaps OBJ on the hand with a fine. Regardless if Norman started it, OBJ carried on throughout the game. Not just a play but through 3 quarters - not even with Norman but Cortland Finnegan as well.

Hope you aren't holding your breathe.....

Seeing what the injuries/circumstances are when/if this comes to fruition, I'll gladly make a little wager on that. The Seahawks have hit their stride and the Cardinals are simply the better team if they stay healthy. You'll see. :)

A few years back when Cortland Finnegan and Andre Johnson ripped each other's helmets off and started throwing hands, I was fine with it in the sense that both men were aware of what was happening and no one had an absurd advantage over the other. OBJ launched himself helmet-first into the helmet of an unsuspecting player. There is nothing respectable about that. The fact that the thought to do it even crossed his mind lets me know what a shit human being this dude really is.

For what it's worth, Norman is great but OBJ totally could have outplayed and embarrassed him. He showed time and again that he could beat him, but Norman got into his head so deep that he completely lost focus. If he didn't have the emotional stability of a 6 year old girl, he could have came out of this game looking like a monster. Instead, he looks like a petulant child.

More details to this story per ESPN:

In pregame warmups, at least one Panthers official, and possibly more, carried black baseball bats on to the field and were motioning with them towards Odell Beckham Jr. while making comments to him, per a league source. Norman later grabbed the black bat and was swinging it in pregame warmups – which, by the way, an NFL Films camera captured. Beckham, according to another source, felt threatened and it helped put him in a certain frame of mind. It does not excuse what he did during the course of the game, but it does explain what led up to the battle that still is the talk of the league today.

Per Rapoport:

Apparently Marcus Ball, a #Panthers practice squad player, was holding a bat pregame. He had to be separated from Odell Beckham pregame.

Per Stapleton:

What upset Odell Beckham Jr.?
Per source, Josh Norman brought a baseball bat out pre-game. Perception: he was sending message to Beckham.

I'm told there were comments made in direction of Odell Beckham Jr. + other players about how Panthers coming to "beat the s**t out of him."

Brings some sort of explanation as to Beckham's attitude during the game. Not excusing it, but the Panthers seem like pricks.

.... but Norman got into his head so deep that he completely lost focus.

If that's the case, maybe the other teams have been testing him since he showed he was going to be a force in the league. All this was happening (to a lesser degree) in games earlier this year and perhaps OBJ is Burt Reynolds or Adam Sandler in 'The Longest Yard,' showing the populace he ain't gonna be nobody's 'bitch.'

Then again, OBJ's response yesterday is only going to encourage defenses to keep it up, no?

OBJ was held to no catches until mid way through the 3rd quarter. Finnegan missed a tackle and let him get 30+ yards up field. Norman gave up the TD but held him to season lows. Overall it was a great matchup aside from the hit. Take away the hit and I believed it was a great matchup and a great game. Apart from that I cannot deny OBJ's talent, clearly a top 5 Corner behind Megatron, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back