Ocarina of Time v Super Smash Bros

Discussion in 'Hyrule Region' started by Lee, Jun 2, 2011.

?

?

1. OOT

2. SSB

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

[​IMG]

Two of the N64 giants battle up. Both games have Link in them. Both games rock. Who wins? You decide!

[​IMG]

2. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Wade's Public Transit Bomb Championship Contender

Went with the forest kid here.

I think OOT stands the test of time (pun not intended). The story is great, there are tons of little things to keep you busy, and if you never played a part of the game or haven't played in a while, there are a lot of parts and boss battles that really make you think.

I also think Smash Bros. playability was hurt by Melee and Brawl being on better consoles and quite frankly, being better games. I don't want to make it seem like I am saying like "Mario Bros. suck because Super Mario World was on a better console and was a better game." I just think if you were to play Smash Bros after playing Melee or Brawl, you would probably get reminded quickly of how it isn't one of those new games. Hope someone understands this. haha

3. TheKingHustla

TheKingHustla The Man Who Saw R-Truth Beat Cena!

I can honestly say that I've never played any zelda game outside of maybe the first one, I think it was the first one, it was on the NES and it had a gold cartridge. After that one sucked so bad to me, I never wanted to play another one. I know they got better and even great, but Smach Brothers was my game. I logged thousands of hours thundering Link's punk behind off of the stage.

4. Lee

Are you fucking stupid? It seems so with the way you've been commenting on games.

Yeah I don't mind you voting for Smash Bros but when your logic is "well I didn't like thew game that was released in 1987 which isn't this game but it's the same series" is just astounding really.

Ocarina of Time for this one, Smash Bros is good, but not great.

5. TheKingHustla

I understand that, but I was never into zelda. everybody has their own tastes, and zelda isn't mine. my fam plays zelda, and i watch, and it was never a game that made me say, "damn, I have to play this!". It was never a game that made me care about it. It was like a different version of a mario game, and I never wanted a part of the fairies, flutes, masks or any of that stuff masking a mario clone. That's how I saw it then, and that's how I still see it now.

6. Барбоса

Барбоса doesn't know REAL wrestling...

For me, Super Smash Bros was essentially another mindless beat'em up with a touch of nostalgia thrown in, albeit an entertaining one.

Ocarina of Time is one of the most influential games ever. The combination of storyline, side quests and immense replayability has become a staple of one of the most successful games franchises and is still one of my favourite games ever.

Only one winner

I have no problem with someone not being a Zelda fan but to say that it is a Mario clone is just ignorant. The only things Mario and Zelda really have in common is Nintendo, popularity and ironically the Smash Bros series

7. Lee

A Mario Clone? Now you're trolling.

Yeah it used the same game engine as SM64 but one's a platformer and the other's a huge adventure game. One has no real plot, the other has quite a woven story. To say OOT is a Mario clone is even more astounding.

There's a reason it's seed number 1 and regarded by many as the greatest game of all time. Is it? Probably not, but to say it's a clone of Mario baffles me.

8. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Wade's Public Transit Bomb Championship Contender

I am baffled as well. Clones don't have longevity. I don't want to get on the guy for having an..errr.. "misinformed" opinion, but I think people should only comment on games they have played.

9. Arkham Noir

Arkham Noir With black birds following me

It goes to OTT here.

Super Smash Bros. pales in comparison to Melee and Melee would have a difficult time beating out OTT. There isn't really much more that I can say about it that wasn't already said and is obvious to those with a brain and two eyes but I just wanted to make the point that Melee is better that the original Super Smash Bros. game and even though it is was fun, the only really good thing it did was spawn its sequel.

10. TheKingHustla

How am I trolling for defending my opinion? It's my opinion. None of this is based on facts. What is the point of zelda? what is the point of mario? yeah, zelda has more "adventure", but at their cores, they are both the exact same. A young scrub trying to save a kingdom from an evil force and throw in a princess who lives in a castle for good measure. Yeah, the content is different, and a lot of zelda fans can be ticked off, but how I see it, it's the same. It might not be the popular choice, but that doesn't matter to me. A bunch of people can say anything is number 1 and the greatest of all times, that doesn't make it manditory for everyone to play, or like it.

11. The Doctor

The Doctor Great and Devious

May I ask you a personal question?

...Are you intoxicated at the moment, or are you naturally this FUCKING STUPID?

Mario and Zelda are completely different genres! The Mario series is primarily made up of platformers, where the goal is to run and jump from platform to platform, hopping on enemies. The challenges take the form of tricky leaps and jumps that rely on a sense of timing. There is usually very little story other than "Save the princess from Bowser".

The Zelda series is made up of action-adventure games where you can't jump, you use a sword, and the challenge comes from exploring puzzle-filled dungeons and stabbing enemies. Starting in Link To The Past the series became known for characters and stories to go along with its exploration-filled gameplay.

To call the Zelda series a Mario clone suggests that you haven't played either series at all, and are just pulling this out of your ass.

----
    *deep breath*

Anyway, my vote goes to Ocarina of Time. Super Smash Bros. was fun, but far from perfect. It took Melee and Brawl to really improve the gameplay and roster to make the great series it is today. Don't get me wrong, I logged many multiplayer hours into it, but it is FAR surpassed by others in its series.

Ocarina of Time may not be my top favorite Zelda game, but damn if it wasn't fun, full of memorable dungeons and twists and turns in the plot. There's a reason it's still considered one of the greatest of all time. Technologically impressive for its time, fantastic dialogue and story, and puzzles & dungeons that are still talked about today - Water Temple, anyone?

Ocarina of Time advances easily this round.

Serious Mozzarella and Dave like this.
  12. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Championship Contender

In a case of somewhat twisted irony, we have a battle of one of the best Multiplayer N64 games against one of the best single player N64 games.

Ocarina of Time is widely regarded as one of the greatest video games of all time. Super Smash Bros. is considered a great multiplayer fighting game. Both are over 10 years old now and have sequels, Melee/Brawl for SSB, Majora's Mask/Wind Waker/Twilight Princess for OoT. For me, this is ridiculously easy. Ocarina of Time wins this hands down.

The key for me is longevity. Super Smash Bros was considered good for it's time, but was EASILY surpassed in virtually every aspect of the game (better gameplay, better controls, better story, better characters, better graphics). Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, has yet to be surpassed in either story or gameplay (graphics have improved obviously, thanks to more powerful consoles). In fact, even though I have both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I regularly will pop in my Ocarina of Time cartridge and play it, which is something I can't see people doing with Smash Bros, especially if they have one of the sequels. That's the main reason I picked Ocarina over SSB.

13. Fizzy

Fizzy Mid-Card Championship Winner

I can't stand the stupidity being presented. Zelda and Mario are nowhere near remotely similar except in some facets of the story and even there, they differ incredibly. Another point which Lee touched on is that you are basing your opinion of a completely different game. You've never played OOT yet you hate it because you played one game in the series? Don't fucking vote next time.

Super Smash Bros gave way for two fantastic games and is overshadowed by those two completely. OOT is still considered the best Zelda game in the storied franchise. You do the math there.

14. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

OOT. To this day I still restart it and play it again and again and again and again and again. Can't say that about Smash Bros. It can't hold a candle in replay value to OOT. Too simple and too short. Melee might had stood a better chance. But not the original. It was just too simple.

15. Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Smooth Sexual Chocolate Grapefruits of Wrath

One question I have before voting: Is this the only Zelda game being represented? Same goes for SmashBros.?

TKH is just expressing his opinion, I for one have never enjoyed playing any Zelda game, ever. I watched my roommate play the one on the Wii all the way through, and never really had an urge to play, I can't put my finger on but something just doesn't appeal to me. Though I do recognize the significance importance in the Zelda franchise, and therefore will not cast my vote until I figure out the answer to my question above.

Smash Bros is one of my all time favs, but if Melee is in this tourny as well, I can vote for Zelda here, and push Melee in it's respective thread.

Stormtrooper likes this.
  16. Lee

Just to answer, all three Smash Bros games are in the tournament. There are a few Zelda games as well. You're voting for the game, not the franchise.

17. Derf

Derf O.M.G.

These two games are easily two of the biggest games on the N64, so I'm gonna explain my vote the best way I can. Every other N64 game is like a car at a descruction derby, and SSB is a tank.

But OOT is a Nuke. OOT for the win.

18. iwinulose

iwinulose HEAT ATTRACTER!!!!

OOT wins this one, though it was for the n64 (though it was made on the gamecube) was easily one of the all time greatest LOZ games ever, and easily tops super smash bros.

super smash bros, the original game, the seed that started the SSB series, it was a great game, though kinda poor graphics, it was a highly enjoyable game (of course the new ones top the 1rst one but from time to time ill still hop onto my n64 and play some old school super smash bros). unfortunetly of the 2 games, this game doesnt win as the better of the 2, a close second though.

19. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Hmm...

Anyone who knows me will knowHmm...

Anyone who knows me will know that I actually hate Zelda games. I really can't put my finger on why that seems to exist but it does. Every single one has failed in entertaining me but I can see what others see in it.

That being said, you cxn only vote on what is in front of you in this tournament and OOT is a better game than SSB and that is all that needs to be said, in all honesty. Ocarina Of Time is one of the best Zelda titles and considering how high of a regard people seem to have with the series, then it should be as open and shut as that. Super Smash Brothers is a good game, don't get me wrong. It was really nice to see a fighting game have a less than banal approach and that is what drew a lot of people in. That and having some of their favourite characters from other games beating the shit of each other, I suppose.

Still, from the most hardened of Zelda haters, OOT should be going through here and it is not even close, to be honest. that I actually hate Zelda games.

20. Serious Mozzarella

Serious Mozzarella Special Victims Unit

SSB is an absolute monster of a game that spawned an absolute monster of a franchise.

ZELDA IS THE FUCKING COLOSSUS THAT EATS MONSTERS LIKE THEY'RE PEAS ON THEIR DINNER PLATE.

I don't really even need to imply the reasons why OOT beats out SSB. Length. Story. Gameplay. Atmosphere. Combat. Everything about OOT is better than SSB.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  21. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Smash Bros (the original) was a novelty game that just happened to spawn an amazing series. However, as Lee pointed out we are voting for the games themselves here not the series. Smash Bros stands absolutely no chance against Ocarina of Time, which is a legend in gaming. Ocarina gets my vote because it's the better of the two not only in gameplay and nostalgia but also for the impact it had.

22. Notorious718

Tough pick here but I think I'll go with OOT because it was really one of the few games I just HAD to beat and I would be racking my brains through some dungeons for hours on end. Not to mention the phenomenal storyline and the high replay value with the sidequests and whatnot. OOT takes this easily. Nothing against SSB as it was also one of the games of my childhood but it was really was just (as mentioned earlier) just a mindless beat 'em up game. In addition, the replay value wasn't anywhere near as high as OOT. Besides, I personally enjoyed Melée more than the original SSB (I've never played Brawl :( ) since it was the same thing but with more characters and arenas.

23. Lee

OOT advances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.