• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NXT Takeover

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
NXT_Takeover_logo.png

NXT Takeover was a special WWE NXT event that took place on May 29, 2014. It was the second of this type of event following NXT Arrival on February 27, 2014. If you have not seen this show already, I recommend it (as well as NXT Arrival!) as it was a great showcase of talent for the future stars of WWE. Here are the matches from this show:

1. Camacho VS Adam Rose in a singles match

2. The Ascension (Konnor and Viktor) VS El Local and Kalisto in a tag team match for the NXT Tag Team Championship

3. Sami Zayn VS Tyler Breeze in a singles match to determine the number one contender to the NXT Championship

4. Charlotte (with Ric Flair) VS Natalya (with Bret Hart) in a singles match for the NXT Women's Championship

5. Tyson Kidd VS Adrian Neville in a singles match for the NXT Championship

I really enjoyed this event, especially the title matches. My favorite was the NXT Championship main event. I really liked in particular the inclusion of Flair and Hart in the corners of Charlotte and Natalya respectively in the divas match, that gave the match an even bigger feel. Kidd VS Neville as well as Zayn VS Breeze stole the show. My least favorite match was probably Camacho VS Rose. Every other match was just better, but that's more on Camacho than on Rose. Camacho sucks. Despite that, highly enjoyable show. I can't wait for the next one of these events!

What are your thoughts on this show, did you like it? Why or why not?

Which match was your favorite, what about your least favorite? Why?

Discuss! :)

I was expecting a good show and it ultimately turned out to be far better than I anticipated.

Adam Rose vs. Camacho wasn't an all time classic or anything, but it was pretty decent.

The Ascension vs. El Local & Kalisto was a solid tag team match, though I thought it was a tad too one sided.

Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze was a phenomenal outing, at least 4 stars in my view. Both guys worked their asses off and delivered what the sort of bout people were expecting. There was a bit of a botch at one point in the match, but considering the pace they were working a good deal of the time, it's understandable.

Natalya vs. Charlotte was a very, very pleasant surprise in that it was a great wrestling match and gave a view of what the Divas could be in WWE. There was some very good chain and mat wrestling and Charlotte is in a whole other universe compared to where she was about a year ago. I also very much loved the fact that even though Ric Flair and Bret Hart were at ringside in the girl's corners, the match wasn't focused on them. It wasn't about them at all, hence there were no shenanigans from them. The focus was on the two women wrestling for a title and that's exactly the way it should have been.

Adrian Neville vs. Tyson Kidd was another flat out killer match. Again, both men really worked hard to deliver a physical, hard hitting match with a ton of great near falls. I'm consistently impressed with just how agile Neville is and Tyson Kidd looked better than he's ever looked.

The overall presentation of the show worked extremely well, in my opinion, as it was treated like a serious deal. I think a lot of what we saw at NXT Takeover clearly shows some of the major differences between the booking styles of Vince McMahon and Triple H in that Vince has the notion that the "entertainment" is more important than the "sports" aspect while Triple H comes off, at least to me, as someone who feels that consistently strong booking, matches that are given the hype to come off as important and the wrestlers are trusted to do their work can deliver all the "entertainment" that the fans want.

I also want to compliment the commentary on the show. Again, like a most other aspects of NXT, commentators are hyping and talking about the product in a serious manner. They're talking about the match, they're talking about the wrestlers, they're keeping people focused on the product instead of trying to tell ridiculous jokes right when there's a match going on. It bugs the shit out of me when Cole, JBL & Lawler do that because it only gives the impression to fans that the match they're watching is meaningless.

IF reports are true, then Vince frustrates the crap out of Triple H at times with some of the goings on at Raw & SD!. Vince is known to change his mind at the drop of a hat, sometimes right smack in the middle of things, and wants to insert corny comedy sometimes that not only isn't funny but feels out of place. Take the stuff with El Torito & Hornswoggle, for instance. It's a perfect example of what Vince inserts sometimes, it's got his fingerprints all over it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Triple H doesn't insert or won't insert something comedic every once in a while, but Trips strikes me as somebody that's more focused on consistency and the "sports" aspect of "sports entertainment."

Watching Takeover I actually thought Camacho had a great look, obviously needs a better gimmick and name but i thought he could be taken seriously if booked right

I haven't watched NXT since the first season, but thought I should check out Takeover, and it was pretty awesome. The commentators were on the ball throughout the show.

Natalya vs. Charlotte was probably my favorite match, just edging out the Zayn/Breeze match. The build-up during the show was great, and emphasized the importance of the match (although I could've done without Paige's speech). I wasn't expecting much from Charlotte, but she and Natalya really pulled out a great match. The fact that Ric Flair was able to relatively keep his cool during the match was a nice touch as well.

It was extremely good. Easily the second best show of the year behind WrestleMania XXX. Zayn/Breeze takes match of the night for me. Charlotte/Natalya showed that divas can wrestle. (Only when they get to the main roster, they suddenly forget).

I don't think it's any secret that when I first started watching NXT on Hulu some time ago, my first big hook to keep watching was Tyler Breeze. Why? Because... because... I don't really remember why. But now, I know that he's continued to amaze me ever since that day. His gimmick is a lot of fun to watch, and even though it's been done PLENTY of times before, he's going about this in a way that just makes him unique. His match with Sami Zayn was more than just a match for me. It was NXT's way of giving Breeze that tough opponent much like when HHH feuded with Mankind in the past, and it worked beautifully. I'm a bit upset that the match ended the way it did, though... kind of makes the rest of the match look like it didn't matter. I do love how they made it feel just as important as the other two high profiled matches.

Charlotte and Natalya... I don't get the big deal about it other than A] Charlotte's awesome theme song, B] Charlotte's awesome moonsaults, and C] Bret & Flair in the same arena at the same time... The match itself just fell flat.

And finally, we get to my personal favorite match of the night. Tyson Kidd and Adrian Neville both put on a damn good match, one that should be put onto the main roster... even if that's just for Superstars & Main Event for now before they earn their way to Raw and Smackdown with it. I really think that these guys have something there. And who knows, maybe Tyson Kidd will possibly become a Paul Heyman Guy. At least, that's how I felt after watching the next episode of NXT and heard the interview from the post show. Then again, it could be wishful thinking from a Tyson Kid fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back