• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

nWo Souled Out 1997

WWEIsLife2

Championship Contender
So I watched nWo's Souled Out 1997 on the WWE Network for the first time and while I will say its a unique PPV it's also a very boring one at that (at least the first half anyway). It picks up a little with the 3 Title Matches but not really enough to save it IMO. They also do this Miss nWo pageant which is just so bad its laughable and I don't think any of those women had any clue what was going on.

Here's the Card from the Show,

Chris Jericho vs Masa Chono
Hugh Morrus vs Big Bubba in a Mexican Death Match
Jeff Jarrett vs Micheal Wallstreet
Buff Bagwell vs Scotty Riggs
DDP vs Scott Norton
The Outsiders vs The Steiners for the WCW Tag Team Titles
Eddie Guerrero vs Syxx in a Ladder Match for the WCW US Title
Hollywood Hulk Hogan vs The Giant for the WCW Title

Thoughts on this PPV?

I liked it when I was a kid but looking back on it I think it was a dumb idea, how can you be a rebellious faction and have all the power? That was the main problem with having Bischoff on board so early on, there wasn't as much volatility as there could have been, Eric should have joined in November 1997 as the death knell to the WCW, making Sting WCWs last hope even moreso than he was in reality. This was also the huge problem with them splitting the nWo off into its own brand and them having their own show which was the original idea, how are you going to market a show as being nWo Thunder? Who are the bad guys and who are the good guys in the scenario where a heel group is now its own entity? Souled Out really showed the pitfalls of that ambitious idea.

Completely agree. The concept was interesting but flawed. It's a great idea in principle but when you start to look into the logic of it and how the story was progressing it made no sense.

The nwo Pageant also killed it for me. Almost unwatchable at that point.

To me this is where the nwo story became stale. Too many guys in the stable.

Eddie vs Syxx was pretty good though.

I love the ladder match between guerrero and syxx. Great work between the two. Other than this and the Jericho vs Chono match the show was pretty forgettable. Typical WCW bad booking when they have something different and exciting. I liked the initial idea of them hijacking a ppv but as for getting a weekly show that wouldnt have worked. I agree that bischoff was placed in the story way too early. WCW missed a great opportunity like they always did.

As I said in the WW3 thread, the biggest problem I have is the main event. The Giant won WW3 and nothing came out of that spot aside for him getting kicked out of the NWO (the first time) for demanding his title shot against Hogan. For the WWE, the Royal Rumble is a way to push a guy into the spotlight for the biggest main event of year. Instead, WCW lets The Giant win a match is bigger in scale (on paper), and then puts him in a dead end storyline for a match without a clean finish, on what would become a second tier PPV for WCW.

I also don't anyway WCW could have given the NWO their own show.

Also the Commentary from Bischoff & Dibiase got on my nerves by the end of the Show. Them saying Scott Hall solely invented the Ladder Match or the Crowd in Iowa was cheering the nWo guys. I know some of it was just being the Heels but I think it might have worked better with one WCW Announcer in there to balance it out.

As I said in the WW3 thread, the biggest problem I have is the main event. The Giant won WW3 and nothing came out of that spot aside for him getting kicked out of the NWO (the first time) for demanding his title shot against Hogan. For the WWE, the Royal Rumble is a way to push a guy into the spotlight for the biggest main event of year. Instead, WCW lets The Giant win a match is bigger in scale (on paper), and then puts him in a dead end storyline for a match without a clean finish, on what would become a second tier PPV for WCW.

I also don't anyway WCW could have given the NWO their own show.

They were going to but NWO Nitro bombed in the ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back