Not open for further replies.

Bernkastel

Reaper of Miracles
images
# 5 Candy "Tiger Dream" Okutsu vs # 12 Mildred Burke
images

This match will take place in Tokyo, Japan

1.) Not a popularity contest, tournament based on in ring skills

2.) Will rules of a region come into play (the entrance ramp is on the same level as the ring)

3.) Will the crowd be a factor

Mildred Burke is so old that I can't find any good examples of her matches. But even though there is a lack of information on Mildred Burke, you can't have a womens pro wrestling tournament without her. Why? because she was the first real pioneer of women's wrestling. If you don't have the knowledge on who Burke is and what her legacy to pro wrestling is, then you can't call yourself an actual fan and supporter of women's wrestling. Burke's legacy and influence in womens wrestling surpasses that of anyone else in this tournament. The Fabulous Moolah, Trish Stratus, Jaguar Yotoka, Manami Toyota, Aja Kong.... all these women owe their careers to Mildred Burke.

That being said, I don't think Mildred Burke could beat Candy Okutsu, Candy has the speed and the technique. Burke's style of wrestling would be outdated against Okutsu

I've only ever seen Burke wrestle on some WWII newsreel footage on youtube, and you could barely make out what was happening. Her title reign is very impressive, but she started it and she booked it so it's not as if she wasn't biased. I understand that she was a great legitimate shooter and could hook almost any man she wrestled, but as a performer I think she might look less than impressive. The crowd advantage could really go either way. Candy was legitimately popular if not terribly so, but the Japanese crowd really marks out for old-school American legends. I was just watching some of those Inoki/Thesz and Inoki/Gotch matches from the 70's and they often ended in a draw. It was so important to NJPW to honor these men that Inoki (the champ) wrestled 30 minute draws with 60 year old guys. I really could see this going to Burke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back