NOC Announcing

ztwhite

The Future Mr. Kelly Kelly
All I can say is last night's PPV was pretty good overall, but man, their announce teams need work.

The King had to correct Michael Cole so many times, I lost count. The most memorable was when Cole screamed that HHH was going to tap out to the STF when Cena had it locked in on top the announce table. The King so eloquently reminded him that pinfalls and submissions have to take place in the ring... and he reminded him about it twice.

JR and Todd Grisham also had their share of blunders with a very long moment of silence during the Hardy / Punk match after Grisham said something that you just knew JR wanted to slap him for - can't remember off hand what he said.

Either way - these teams are getting worse before they're getting better.

the funniest was when cole said "The late great Bunno Sammartino"

The problem with announcers today is that there are no opportunities for announcers to get good experience before going in front of a national audience. These days they're just thrown in, and expected to swim or sink. Throw in the fact that they're not really announcing as much as they are regurgitating what a person in the back is saying, and it makes it very difficult to get good commentary.

The problem with announcers today is that there are no opportunities for announcers to get good experience before going in front of a national audience. These days they're just thrown in, and expected to swim or sink. Throw in the fact that they're not really announcing as much as they are regurgitating what a person in the back is saying, and it makes it very difficult to get good commentary.

I agree to some extent, but you can't really make that argument for Michael Cole. He's been doing this shit for half a dozen years or more !!!

Guys like Josh Mathews and Matt Striker should be allowed every opportunity to learn and grow, but Cole's mistakes are simply unexcusable at this point.

I understand that everyone screws up time and again... JR maybe more than most... but I chalk those mistakes up to the heat of the moment. Cole makes a shit ton of gaffs and his "vintage" remarks really are overused, but that point has been made by dozens of posters in a separate thread.

Does Cole really use vintage that much? I recall only once, when Cena hit a shoulder block, and he called it "Vintage John Cena", which is accurate enough. Cena's been using it his whole career.

Does Cole really use vintage that much? I recall only once, when Cena hit a shoulder block, and he called it "Vintage John Cena", which is accurate enough. Cena's been using it his whole career.

Come on Harthan - you watch enough wrestling to know that Cole overuses the phrase.

If you drive a 2005 Chevy Silverado, does it make it vintage because you drive it everyday ?? There's a big difference between a 2005 Chevy and a truly vintage 1967 Chevy.

Vintage in terms of wrestling should be reserved for moves like Taker's walking the top rope or Hogan's leg drop or Flair's figure four leglock.

None of the newer generation of wrestlers (which Cena is considered a newer generation of wrestler) should have the word vintage used for any of their moves.

I agree to some extent, but you can't really make that argument for Michael Cole. He's been doing this shit for half a dozen years or more !!!
Jim Ross started doing lead play-by-play in the mid 80s (1986, I believe), and it wasn't until 1998 or so that he was trusted with the lead WWF announcing job.

Guys like Josh Mathews and Matt Striker should be allowed every opportunity to learn and grow, but Cole's mistakes are simply unexcusable at this point.
I think you mean "inexcusable".

But, no, they are not. Why is he not allowed to make mistakes? Jim Ross constantly makes mistakes, and always has. He still doesn't know the difference between Twist of Fate and Whisper in the Win.

I understand that everyone screws up time and again... JR maybe more than most... but I chalk those mistakes up to the heat of the moment. Cole makes a shit ton of gaffs and his "vintage" remarks really are overused, but that point has been made by dozens of posters in a separate thread.
No more than Jim Ross's "slobberknockers" and "business is about to pick up" lines.

I think the problem with Cole is that he gets nervous because he is doing the show live and has Vince on his ear the whole show. At least when he was doing Smackdown if he messed up he could fix the mistake because there was editing.

Come on Harthan - you watch enough wrestling to know that Cole overuses the phrase.

If you drive a 2005 Chevy Silverado, does it make it vintage because you drive it everyday ?? There's a big difference between a 2005 Chevy and a truly vintage 1967 Chevy.

Vintage in terms of wrestling should be reserved for moves like Taker's walking the top rope or Hogan's leg drop or Flair's figure four leglock.

None of the newer generation of wrestlers (which Cena is considered a newer generation of wrestler) should have the word vintage used for any of their moves.

Maybe it just doesn't bother me, but I don't feel it's terribly overused. Pretty much every play by play man in recent history has had go to lines, and this is one of Cole's. I'm not saying he's necessarily a good commentator, as he does make an abnormal amount of errors and says less than intelligent things, but I think people latch onto the vintage complaint a little too much.

JR's commentary really seems to lack passion nowadays. It's as if when Austin finally left, a part of slowly withered away, and here we are now.

And fuck, i've hated Cole since he stopped being Rock's bitch and became an announcer. A heel does a brillaint fast counter and it's still considered 'stealing the victory'. What's he got to do Cole, ask for permission first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back