No More Nostalgia Moments Left?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Seeing an older veteran wrestler chase a World Championship can give us a goosebumps. It can always be fun to see a wrestler relive his glory days. In 2002, Hulk Hogan won back his loyal Hulkamaniacs, and after Wrestlemania 18, he decided to ditch the bad guy NWO persona. The red and yellow made a triumphant return, and at Backlash 2002, Hogan defeated Triple H for the Undisputed Championship. Shawn Michaels also managed to have his great moment of nostalgia at Survivor Series 2002. Michaels was able to win the World Heavyweight Championship in the Elimination Chamber match. Seeing HBK become World Champion again was something special, because Shawn had to battle back from a serious back injury, and seeing him wear World Championship gold again was one of those special moments.

Nostalgia runs in pro wrestling can be fun, but are there any left? Let's take a look at the list of active big name veteran wrestlers:

Hulk Hogan- A lot of us probably saw the little bickering session between Hogan and Sting after the World Title match at Lockdown. Sting obviously wanted a piece of Hogan, but The Hulkster told the World Champion it will happen "on his time." Seeing Hogan take down HHH at Backlash 2002 might have been something special, but that was years ago. Hogan's back is in terrible shape. It'll be hard for him to work a watchable match, and would you really want to see Hogan become champion again? There is a chance Hogan could turn face again, but we've already seen the "Return Of Hulkamania!" storyline before.

Bret Hart- Seeing Hart win the US Title from The Miz was kind of cool. Bret's shocking return to the WWE was still pretty fresh, so it wasn't hard to root for The Hit Man. Although, Hart is up there in age, and his body is in bad shape, so he's very limited to what he can do in the ring. We might enjoy seeing Hart pop up on WWE programming every now and then, but there's no way he's ever going to win another World Title.

Ric Flair- It's painful to watch Flair in the ring sometimes these days. It's a surprise he still has blood left in his body, because I can't count the number of times he's balded over the years. I would actually want Flair to stay out of the ring for good. At this point in his life, I think he's a lot better in a non wrestling role. Also, I would have a hard time getting excited for a Flair World Championship run.

Kevin Nash- Diesel received a huge pop at this year's Royal Rumble, but how much gas does Big Sexy have left in the tank? Sure, he can dye his hair black, and it might be cool to see him become Diesel again, but how long could Nash keep it up?

It's cool to see nostalgia fueled runs every now and then, but I think those days are gone for now. All of the active/part time veteran wrestlers have become old, and HBK decided to call it quits last year. When it comes to guys like Bret Hart and Kevin Nash, I think occasional and sporadic appearances are just fine, because small doses of nostalgia can be okay. I wouldn't want to see Flair or Hogan have another wrestling related nostalgia run, because they really don't need to win another World Title. It would just be overkill now. Both of them do a fine job in their non wrestling related roles, and there is no need for them to wrestle on a regular basis again.

What are your thoughts?

I don't want to see any of them touch a title again. They are all way past their prime and hogan and flair need to call a quits. They cannot wrestle anymore and them having the title would just not be entertaining, hogan is lucky he isn't in a wheelchair permanently and flair is going to end up killing himself in the ring. Bret Hart I don't even consider an option because he knows and understands his limitations. Now Kevin Nash is a different story I don't want to see him hold a title but I would mind seeing him in a few matches as diesel against maybe Big Show, Kane, Undertaker, and Triple H. I can't believe I'm going to say this after all the titles he held but I would love to see Triple H hold the title one more time before he retires just for nostalgia purposes but he has to be heel for me to really enjoy it.

flair will not ever get another match in the WWE again, because they hold his "retirement" match with HBK in such high regard (hence why they had the legends match with jericho with flair on the outside...)

Hogan won't get another match either because unlike flair, he hasnt had a good match since the late 90's (I'm not counting wrestlemania against rock, because that was "good" just due to crowd reaction, not that I'm saying it wasnt a good match.. it just wasnt good wrestling wise..)

Bret can't wrestle anymore physically, so that won't actually work...

Kevin Nash won't really fill people with nostalgia as he's been wrestling with TNA semi recently...

I think the true nostalgia moment would be if Stone Cold got back into the ring (and not just having fun on tough enough with one of the contestants..) If he ever decides to come back for a match (much like the rock has done..) The nostalgia would be off the charts..

Other than that the only others I'd personally like to see back (just for shits and giggles) would be random tag teams and/or random people..

Tatanka (the first wrestler i got to meet in person)
AL Snow+Steve Blackman (BRING BACK HEADCHEESE!!!)
The New Age Outlaws (why not, you've reunited the rockers for one night only, why not a random challenge for the tag team titles by the NAO once the titles head back into a heel teams grasp..)
the mountie (just for the awesomeness of his theme music....)
boogeyman (not really nostalgia, but was fun to watch him randomly appear in someone elses "promo" for a random moment before having said person just stare randomly..)
the APA (I miss Ron Simmons "pre DAMN" era, which people seemingly remember him for paired with "Pre JBL" Bradshaw in the APA... With the door that you had to enter through, even though it was just a door out in the middle of nowhere...)

I miss those things, and I'm sure if I thought about it I'd miss more as well.

I hope Flair retires soon, I'm pretty sure we will never see him in a WWE match again.

Bret Hart is broke and his comeback in my opinion was tarnished by the PG era (and I am definitely not one of those people who complain about the PG era).

I would like Hogan to come back but not become Champion. maybe as the RAW GM (aslong as he isn't taking part in the creative writings and is just doing the mic work).

Mick Foley making a WWE return as Mankind is something I would like to see.

Is there Really any Nostalgia moments left? All the big guys have made so many appearances theres no nostalgia left. And all thd ones that havent done any either dont need or want to.

There really aren't any nostalgia moments left. All the guys we loved from the 80's and 90's are either too old to do anything other than show up or they've left the business all together. Even with the newer "legends" like Taker, HHH, Austin, HBK, Rock, there really isn't anything left for them to do. We've seen them all face each other fairly recently and those who can't wrestle make regular appearances. None of the guys the OP listed can even walk normal, never mind having a match.

There are really only 3 or 4 nostalgia moments left:

1. Sting coming to WWE to feud with Taker or someone else, possibly one last WHC title chase before he retires. But how likely is that now? He's sworn his allegiance to TNA and has voiced his hatred of WWE and Vince McMahon. But I don't think you can ever rule anything out in wrestling.

2. Macho Man Randy Savage doing some return WWE appearances before being inducted into the HOF. This is probably the most likely since his problems with WWE and Vince have seemed to taken a turn for the better with his toy and DVD the last few years.

3. Ultimate Warrior return appearances before the HOF. Bash him 50 ways to Sunday but everyone and their mothers loved Ultimate Warrior in his prime. He's clearly lost his mind and has some problems with Vince and vice-verse but money always talks. Imagine the pop he'd get sprinting to the ring on RAW.

4. The last one is one we are already getting in The Rock returning to face Cena. No real need to say anything on this, everyone's already sold on it and are talking about it non-stop.

Other than those there are only the once in a while HHH vs Taker or HBK returning to save someone or occasional appearances. It's either all been done or not possible.

I would say Austin is really the only one left. When he gets back in the ring and stomps a mudhole, hits a Lou Thesz press and ends it with a stunner, I know the kid in me will love every second of it. It may be a bit diluted since he has done these things in non-match settings on and off for the last seven or eight years, but there will definitely be something special in seeing him don the black tights and hit the ring one more time. Against who is the larger question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back