Nnamdi Asomugha - A Free Agent?

ESPN Article by Adam Schefter said:
Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha's contract voided and he will be allowed to become a free agent without the Oakland Raiders being able to use their franchise tag on him, according to an NFL Players Association document.

Asomugha’s deal included a little-known clause that said his contract would void if he didn’t achieve his not-likely-to-be-earned incentives in 2010 -- and he didn'’t.

His contract also contained a stipulation that if he didn’t achieve his incentives, the Raiders would agree not to designate him their franchise or transition player.

To achieve his incentives, Asomugha had to play in a greater number of defensive plays in 2010 than he did in 2009, and this season Asomugha played in only 14 games whereas he played in all 16 in 2009.

He also could have achieved his incentives by improving upon on his interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season -- but he didn't have any interceptions, fumble recoveries or sacks this season.

He will be the top defensive player available whenever free agency begins.

That was the article I just read on ESPN. Stunning news, it really could change the entire landscape of free agency this year. Asomugha is an excellent player so I have no doubt that a bunch of teams will be gunning for him. Especially since a Corner Back of his caliber rarely comes along, anyway... and all the teams that missed their chance to get him before will now be out in full force. That being said, where can you see him landing?

I'm not sure yet. There are a lot of teams that would need his help and he'd be an excellent addition to any secondary. I can see him going back to Oakland, really. Although it may be a long shot, Nnamdi doesn't seem to hate it there, and Davis would certainly shell out the cash for him. Another place that for some reason keeps popping up in my head is Baltimore. Asomugha would be a lethal combination with Ed Reed and that excellent Baltimore defense, but that's mostly wishful thinking.

Thoughts?

Obviously another idiotic move by whichever person in management who decided to sign on the dotted line. It'll be a sweepstakes for this guy, any team can use him as in my opinion he's still the #1 shutdown corner in the NFL. He'll become the highest paid defensive player of all time, bet you he goes to the Redskins.

This is Huge News Asomugha might be the Second Best Cornerback in the League and would be a Huge help to any team's Pass Defense. Another Bad move by the Radiers to actually let this happen. As to what team he ends up going to its way to early to tell but what ever team does get him will be extremely happy with him.

Redskins for one cause they pay extremely ridiculous money for anyone.

Broncos cause i've been hearing that Champ Bailey won't be coming back and he is getting old.

Indy they need someone other than freeney on that defense...granted they need someone on the line but do they really have anyone at corner there either?

And my dream...Da Bears...Lance Briggs, Julius Peppers, Brian Urlacher combined with him...would there be a better defense? i know this won't happen but i can dream.

Someone is going to pay this guy, and I hope it's the Lions. They are on the verge of becoming a great defensive team, and a shut-down corner is needed. Louis Delmas is one of the better young safeties in football, and Amari Spievey and Alphonso Smith are also pretty good back there. It's time to spend some money, Mr. Ford.

Someone is going to pay this guy, and I hope it's the Lions. They are on the verge of becoming a great defensive team, and a shut-down corner is needed. Louis Delmas is one of the better young safeties in football, and Amari Spievey and Alphonso Smith are also pretty good back there. It's time to spend some money, Mr. Ford.

I agree with this. The Lions would be an immensely better defense with Asomugha. The one big weakness there defense has is the secondary. They have a couple potential number 2 corners and a good nickel back in Alphonso Smith but they need a number one corner. Delmas is a great young safety as well and a signing like this would be huge for the Lions. At 13 the best corner they could get is Janoris Jenkins and I'd still love for them to maybe take him as well but getting Asomugha would open up there draft options as well.

yep. And since its an uncapped year, they can afford to front load the contract with a ton of money and not have it bite them in the ass as far as the salary cap is concerned. If the Lions can get a shut down corner, it would improve the secondary enough where they can focus on finding another linebacker or two, as well as bolstering the offensive line. When you have a great corner who can make the QB think twice, it will only make the defensive line even better, as the QB has to spend another half second trying to account for him...a half sercond more to get pass rushed. I would LOVE to see the Lions pursue him.

The only guy I'd be willing to give a mega contract to. I'd be fine with to QB money for a few years. My only issue is DHall would be targeted and burnt often. He'd need a lot of help over the top. He's also a great character guy.

With that said. I could see him going to New England. Him and McCourty would be GREAT and he really seems like a character type that BB would love.

I would be giddy with excitement if the Lions somehow landed Asomugha. That'd change their secondary from crappy to good in a split second. If they have the money to do so, they better bust their ass in attempt to get a guy that can shut anyone down. Him on one side, Houston on the other, with Smith as a nickel, then their secondary wouldn't nearly be as weak as it appears and maybe we could use our first round pick on an outside linebacker. For all the money we've spent on unproven rookies lately, it'd be nice to offer a heavy contract to a guy that's proven he's a top 5 in the game. If we added Nnamdi, I think we'd only be a few pieces (namely 2 full time OLB and a #3 receiver) away from being serious contenders and we'd be in playoff contention with him for sure.

So please, Mr. Ford, spend all of your millions of dollars on Nnamdi Asomugha. Everyone would love the move and that could take us into playoff contender status.

I don't know how Al Davis does it, but he continues to fuck the Raiders up while they're resurrecting as a franchise. First not picking up Cable's option after Oakland's best season in years, and including a fairly stupid incentive in Asomugha's contract.
What a stupid way to lose a top 3 Cornerback in the league.

Good luck Raiders fans, tough times shall continue.

I don't know how Al Davis does it, but he continues to fuck the Raiders up while they're resurrecting as a franchise. First not picking up Cable's option after Oakland's best season in years, and including a fairly stupid incentive in Asomugha's contract.
What a stupid way to lose a top 3 Cornerback in the league.

Good luck Raiders fans, tough times shall continue.

Yeah, Al Davis has really lost it in recent years. I'm not sure he was all there before, but he's really gone off the deep end now. Firing Tom Cable? This guy made Oakland somewhat respectable again, and that's still not enough for Davis. Ridiculous.

As far as Asomugha goes, like I said earlier, I would love to see him as a Lion. However, Ford is a cheap prick and might not spend that kind of cash. I bet this guy ends up in Washington. Snyder, without talking to Shanahan, will fly in a boat-load of dough to snag this guy. That's what he does best.

Well, I'd say I'd like to see him as a STEELER, but I know that won't happen. Our secondary is likely the only weak part of our Defense. The D-Line and Linebacking core are some of the best in football, but aside from Troy, our secondary is suspect. Well, let me give credit where it is due. Ike Taylor has had a lot of good games in his tenure here, but he's had a good bit of bad ones as well. I was really happy to get McFadden back from Arizona, but he's been average AT BEST. William Gay...I'm not going to even get in to Willie Gay. He's not the answer.

There are 32 teams in the NFL that would love to have a player the caliber of Nnamdi Asomugha. Nnamdi, by many is considered the best CB in football. People will claim Revis, but it is a hell of a lot closer than you may believe. Nnamdi doesn't even get targeted out there at CB, which explains why his interception numbers aren't near the level as many elite corners. He will instantly improve your defense. He literally shuts down whoever is manned up against him. During the 2009-2010 season Nnamdi was targeted a total of 28 times. That is insane considering Revis was targeted somewhere in the 100's that season. And looking at this year his number increased to a whopping 33 and he only gave up 13 completions, zero of which were TD.

Asomugha is going to get him a good deal wherever he goes. Kicker is the playoff teams can only sign him if they are replacing a starter who was released or hitting free agency. So it is unlikely for him to wind up in many of the playoff teams. I wouldn't count out Oakland resigning him. Nnamdi is a key guy in the Oakland community and I think he'd sign if the offer is right. It might be unlikely as you never know what Al Davis is up to. So the teams that just missed the playoffs might have the best shot. I read somewhere Nnamdi wants to play for a team that can win. So that could be a team like Dallas, San Fran, or even Tampa Bay. Wherever Nnamdi lands is going to be the early story this offseason in terms of player movement.

Homer pick:

The Seattle Paul Allen's - er, Seahawks. They have the money, the up-and-coming team, the fans, and did I mention money? Paul Allen really missed the boat on Peppers in my opinion. He could have changed the entire dynamic of their defense. Asomugha could be that guy. Trufant, Thomas, Thurmond, Chancellor, Milloy and Asomugha could be a beautiful secondary, allowing Seattle to rush 6-7 most downs. I could really say that about any suitor for Nnamdi, however. He's a game-changer.

But really, Seattle has the money.

This is a huge drop for the Raiders, who I hate with a passion, on account of me being a Steelers Fan in the middle of FUCKING CALIFORNIA!!!!!!
Anyways, Nnamdi Asomugha, will get a $60-$75 million dollar contract, I can sense it! The landing spots? I want to pick a dark horse team, and I found one, The Minnesota Vikings.
Here me out, Brett " I want to pad my legacy" Favre is out, at least I can hope, and with that $20 million is off. So Zygi Wolf should put his already A- Defense in the ELITE category with my Steelers, Ravens, and Jets, and make Asomugha the highest paid DB ever! It wouldn't be a bust like "Fat" Albert Haynesworth or DeAngelo " I'm too fast for my own good" Hall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back