NJPW World: The Japanese WWE Network

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
WR2jxTaSsLpT-R8ypuZxgiPkvhvH_dJ30UIl6_MBY6gRVsMZmw3Wo1xiws5iQDbYsSk=h900

Recently, NJPW announced and lauched a new streaming service much like WWE's Network. NJPW World streams previous NJPW shows, documentaries and press conferences and will also be presenting live streams of their events. Unlike WWE Network, you can't get it as an app on your phone, PS4 or Xbox One, etc. but that's par for the course. NJPW looks to keep expanding and yeah, this is a pretty big way to do it as the page can be translated to English and you can subscribe even if you're from the US. Just remember it's a foreign transaction.

What are your thoughts on this service and NJPW's expansion? Shame JR is on for just one show because English commentators would be the next big step for them.

The English option is a big plus. At the end of the day, it's really hard to get into a show if you have to figure out what's going on by educated (or often times uneducated) guessing. Now with something as simple as a broken English translation on this service, the fans can have a far better idea of what's going on with their product and might be willing to give it a chance. It might not make them huge, but it's a foot in the door and a potential way to grow. Smart move and necessary if they want to expand.

Glad someone on this site is finally picking up on this news after a month of this being common knowledge.

As wrestling fans, everyone should hope that this NJPWWorld concept has no major issues and is able to really start thriving quickly.

The truth is that all other American pro wrestling promotions have proven to not be in a position to truly challenge WWE's standing in the market, and that lack of real competition has allowed WWE to rest on its laurels for far too long. Further exposure to New Japan's product could be the one thing that actually lights a fire under the WWE to present something of at least passable quality.

The fact is that NJPW right at the current moment has the best pro wrestling product in the entire world(yes, that includes WWE) by a considerably wide margin. And what people fail, or truthfully downright refuse, to realize is that there is a massive market in America right now for in-ring product-centric wrestling programming and no one to fill it. Further exposure of the "Sports Entertainment" approach has not brought in new viewers to wrestling in years. While a focus on stiff, high quality in ring action (like NJPW specializes in)is the one route that could still create a revival of mass interest in the industry.

I'm skeptical that NJPW will be able to find the marketing strategy necessary to make this a hit in North America, but if they somehow are able to, they will change the industry as we know it. It should be interesting to see how many viewers the American Wrestle Kingdom broadcast will bring in, and if the absolutely guaranteed universal praise that will follow will bring wide enough awareness to begin establishing a foothold for NJPWWorld in North America.

With the WWENetwork struggling to keep as many subscribers as are needed to be successful as it is, and now NJPWWorld being available at the exact same price point while offering better first-run wrestling cards than WWE could hope to produce, this rival Network is something that should already be on the WWE's radar as potentially further damaging to their bottom line.

The fact is that NJPW right at the current moment has the best pro wrestling product in the entire world(yes, that includes WWE) by a considerably wide margin. And what people fail, or truthfully downright refuse, to realize is that there is a massive market in America right now for in-ring product-centric wrestling programming and no one to fill it. Further exposure of the "Sports Entertainment" approach has not brought in new viewers to wrestling in years. While a focus on stiff, high quality in ring action (like NJPW specializes in)is the one route that could still create a revival of mass interest in the industry.

I'm skeptical that NJPW will be able to find the marketing strategy necessary to make this a hit in North America, but if they somehow are able to, they will change the industry as we know it. It should be interesting to see how many viewers the American Wrestle Kingdom broadcast will bring in, and if the absolutely guaranteed universal praise that will follow will bring wide enough awareness to begin establishing a foothold for NJPWWorld in North America.

I am sincerely starting to think that Papa Pillman is the best damn poster on this boards.

You hit the nail in the head with your post, and I agree 100% with the first bold sentence. New Japan is just different wrestling, different psychology, different way of booking and it still works damn well, and they created major buzz for themselves, to a point, where they sold out Tokyo Dome weeks in advance and they've not done that since God knows how long. The next major step is and needs to be - English translation and Talent Developmental.

I'll be talking about the two topics, but first, I'll talk about the second bold sentence, and that one, was the thing that really made me think as far as business plan goes for New Japan. They'll make their debut on the North American PPV market, and remember, it's the first time, so they NEED to get good numbers, but, they just launched this NJPW Network - Worldwide (if not, pretty close), for $9.99. I mean, who are the targets for the PPV business? It's the hardcore american fans, the guys that know what's happening in New Japan, so, those guys will sign with the Network instead of buying the PPV for 3x the price. So, why? Why on Earth would they debut on the American market's PPV business and launch a Worldwide Network? I don't know about you, but this will most likely be the reason for a possible "flop" and it's making me concerned. There's no name for the "general audience" to just buy the PPV, there's no marketing for them - it's just the hardcore wrestling fans. What I am saying is that I also agree with you about being skeptical about their success and that's really unfortunate.

Currently, New Japan, no doubt is the best wrestling promotion in the world, content wise. I would rather see a New Japan show then a WWE or ROH or TNA show and they absolutely NEED the English commentators, it's not a matter of special events, no, it's all the time, because if they want a new market, they have to make them care for their builds, or else, people will just give up. Wrestle Kingdom 9 will be one of the best shows this year and they have a real shot of getting the wrestling fan who's giving it a shot, because he read that this is the shit and what not, they'll get him, but how are they going to make him comeback, if he all of a sudden, just loses who's "who" and what not? For me to start watch it (4 years now?), I had to have TNA guys there, I had to do my research on guys on Wikipedia and I don't see a lot of people just doing that for Togi Makabe or whatever. It's a MUST! Jim Ross is an amazing name, but I don't see him being around that long, so, use wrestlers, use emigrants, but make that option viable.

But also, another major concern - they need to expand their roster - according to Meltzer, who's way more inside than anyone as far as being a journalist, New Japan doesn't have a lot of Young Lions ("Rookies"). Their current crop of talent is the equivalent of WWE's 2001/2002, and they need guys that will be able to hold it for the next ten years - Tanahashi is fucking 38 years old. Okada will fill his role as he's only 27 years, but the other card is filled with Ishii (39), Nakamura (34), Naito (32), Goto & Shibata (35). Those are guys that in the next ten years won't be around. They currently have only four "young lions" on the main roster and only two of them are in excursions (as they usually do) and those are Hiromu Takahashi (CMLL, 25 Years Old) and Takaaki Watanabe (USA/ROH, 27 Years Old). If they want to grow, they need to think about the future and they need to develop domestic stars, because Japanese culture is very different from American's view. Also, it's New Japan, not "New World".

Well, to cut a long story short: New Japan is the most interesting company in the world right now, and they are the only ones capable of actually shifting the market as of right now. WWE may have the best future, but "Sports-Entertainment" is running it's course for the current market and if they don't pick up on that, they'll be fucked in the ass by New Japan.

Pretty sure NJPW World is primarily intended for East Asian consumers rather than us, but it also serves as a continual product-provider post-Wrestle Kingdom. They probably should have delayed it to January, though.

And yeah, you're not wrong about the roster. They do need some younger native guys, though the number of contenders beneath them and the Japanese loyalty system means they're more likely to share talent (NOAH, ROH) or bring in gaijin (AJ Styles, Kenny Omega) to bridge that gap. That's a problem with several of the Japanese companies though. I'm look at Wrestle-1's roster now on Wiki and I think they might have five guys under 30 and just as many over 40.

Though that could be because it's Wrestle-1, aka where AJPW went to die. (Seriously, AJPW's roster is like +30 for the most part now, all freelancers or from smaller outfits barringa few guys)

Pretty sure NJPW World is primarily intended for East Asian consumers rather than us
Asia is definitely the "target market", and they obviously won't get enough American buys to make the network profitable, but the fact that a version with English text is available and the fact that they have made the network accessible worldwide shows that they see markets outside of Asia as still important areas to try and capitolize on.

And yeah, you're not wrong about the roster. They do need some younger native guys, though the number of contenders beneath them and the Japanese loyalty system means they're more likely to share talent (NOAH, ROH) or bring in gaijin (AJ Styles, Kenny Omega) to bridge that gap.

The problem with roster age is definitely worth noting, but most of the main eventers are no where near done and even the ones that should be way toward the end of the rope(Liger, Nagata, Suzuki, etc.) still appear to have plenty in the tank.

So I don't think this a pressing issue. As long as they address it through channels like what you mentioned they should be more than fine.

The working relation with ROH seems to be only strengthening, which gives them a steady flow of available Gaijin to feature(mostly in the junior divisions).

Also NJPW and NOAH just announced a full scale working agreement as well. This is something that NJPW has probably been looking to get shored up for a while so that they have regular access to top NOAH talent like Marifuji, while also having a place to send midcard guys for higher profile matchups, but NOAH has likely been dragging their feet and wanting to succeed more solely on their own merit as a promotion, a mindset that has likely gone out the window considering the company's financial struggles since, and directly related to, the loss of KENTA which seems to have led them to embrace a chance to ride New Japan's coattails.

As long as they can produce a couple promising young boys every couple years, NJPW should be fine for the future, and it appears that they are doing just that. Yes the current next generation guys out on learning excursions(Watanabe and Takahashi) may not ever be high card players, but other young guys standing in line behind them awaiting learning excursions of their own(like Sho Tanaka or Komatsu) seem to have a lot of promise.

That's a problem with several of the Japanese companies though. I'm look at Wrestle-1's roster now on Wiki and I think they might have five guys under 30 and just as many over 40.

Though that could be because it's Wrestle-1, aka where AJPW went to die. (Seriously, AJPW's roster is like +30 for the most part now, all freelancers or from smaller outfits barring a few guys)
I don't think that either All Japan or W-1 are long for this world(which could free up even more talent to fill out the NJPW roster) as both may be on the verge of going the WCW/ECW route.

It appears that the landscape in Japanese wrestling is moving toward(if its not already there) a climate just like what we've had here in America for the most part over the last decade-plus, a slew of relatively minor alternative promotions who operate in the shadow of one big brother juggernaut that has the resources to dominate the market.

I'll be talking about the two topics, but first, I'll talk about the second bold sentence, and that one, was the thing that really made me think as far as business plan goes for New Japan. They'll make their debut on the North American PPV market, and remember, it's the first time, so they NEED to get good numbers, but, they just launched this NJPW Network - Worldwide (if not, pretty close), for $9.99. I mean, who are the targets for the PPV business? It's the hardcore american fans, the guys that know what's happening in New Japan, so, those guys will sign with the Network instead of buying the PPV for 3x the price. So, why? Why on Earth would they debut on the American market's PPV business and launch a Worldwide Network? I don't know about you, but this will most likely be the reason for a possible "flop" and it's making me concerned. There's no name for the "general audience" to just buy the PPV, there's no marketing for them - it's just the hardcore wrestling fans. What I am saying is that I also agree with you about being skeptical about their success and that's really unfortunate.
You're forgetting that the money of the PPV buys don't go straight into New Japans pocket. Out of those $30 (that's the price, right?) A portion goes to the cable companies and another goes to Jarrett and his sasquash promotion. If anything New Japan would make more money if people go through the streaming service. The PPV for all we know can be a big advertisement for the service too since we have JR and Striker to talk about it.

It took NJ a lot of effort to get this one PPV spot so having a guaranteed method for potential new fans to keep track is much better than hoping this does well on PPV and they get another one.

The problem with roster age is definitely worth noting, but most of the main eventers are no where near done and even the ones that should be way toward the end of the rope(Liger, Nagata, Suzuki, etc.) still appear to have plenty in the tank.
Another part of the concerns (though this might be slightly less so in Japan), is how fresh the matches can be. Barring maybe a few top matches involving newer guys like Shibata or AJ (and even then you'd have to ignore the mini-verse that G-1 inhabits), I think everyone's pretty much worked everyone.

The working relation with ROH seems to be only strengthening, which gives them a steady flow of available Gaijin to feature(mostly in the junior divisions).
They've already got their fair share of gaijin, though. Bullet Club alone is like a quarter of the roster. I'm actually curious if they've considered maybe expanding to a woman's division to keep things interesting.

Also NJPW and NOAH just announced a full scale working agreement as well. This is something that NJPW has probably been looking to get shored up for a while so that they have regular access to top NOAH talent like Marifuji, while also having a place to send midcard guys for higher profile matchups, but NOAH has likely been dragging their feet and wanting to succeed more solely on their own merit as a promotion, a mindset that has likely gone out the window considering the company's financial struggles since, and directly related to, the loss of KENTA which seems to have led them to embrace a chance to ride New Japan's coattails.
I'm surprised NOAH hasn't tried to work with AJPW or Wrestle-1, to be honest. Well, prior to the NOAH-AJPW jump, anyway.

I don't think that either All Japan or W-1 are long for this world(which could free up even more talent to fill out the NJPW roster) as both may be on the verge of going the WCW/ECW route.
Slightly saddening, but I'm more hopeful that guys like Doering, Muta, Sanada and Shiozaki end up in Japan than I am in regards following those companies.

It appears that the landscape in Japanese wrestling is moving toward(if its not already there) a climate just like what we've had here in America for the most part over the last decade-plus, a slew of relatively minor alternative promotions who operate in the shadow of one big brother juggernaut that has the resources to dominate the market.

Let me ask you something, because wiki can be untrustworthy. Is this a proper ranking of the Japanese top companies?

1. NJPW
  2. NOAH
  3. Dragon Gate
  4. AJPW
  5. Wrestle-1
  6. DDT

Is this a proper ranking of the Japanese top companies?

1. NJPW
  2. NOAH
  3. Dragon Gate
  4. AJPW
  5. Wrestle-1
  6. DDT
Basically.

I'd definitely say that the first three are correct, though Dragon Gate were possibly in range to push NOAH for that second spot before the official New Japan working relationship, so we'll see how it shakes out in light of that.

AJPW and W-1 are essentially interchangeable. IGF is probably somewhere next in this mix as well, but I'm not sure where exactly to spot them in relation to the independents. Zero-1 would've been up in that range too, but their events have been cancelled and it appears that they may be folding.

DDT is likely next as the top of the independent heap, just ahead of the likes of K-DOJO and Michinoku Pro.

Basically.

I'd definitely say that the first three are correct, though Dragon Gate were possibly in range to push NOAH for that second spot before the official New Japan working relationship, so we'll see how it shakes out in light of that.

AJPW and W-1 are essentially interchangeable. IGF is probably somewhere next in this mix as well, but I'm not sure where exactly to spot them in relation to the independents. Zero-1 would've been up in that range too, but their events have been cancelled and it appears that they may be folding.

DDT is likely next as the top of the independent heap, just ahead of the likes of K-DOJO and Michinoku Pro.

Seeing All-Japan as far down as it is makes me sad. Giant Baba must be crying in his grave right now seeing how his widow basically cratered the company. Zero-1 is all but dead. Wrestle-1 has been a Muta self-*********ion company for a while now. He had to put the belt on himself, at 54, for anyone to care. To really look at it, there are only 3 Major companies in Japan at this point: NJPW, Noah, and Dragon Gate. Nobody else comes close.

Now, after watching WK9, I am really perplexed why this card has received very little after-card posting on this site. This was the card that should be the best PPV of the year. And, unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat, I cannot see WK9 being challenged. So, is the vast majority of posters here that big of WWE marks that they cannot embrace other companies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back