Nick Newell

The Best

The Best
Even though some of you might not have heard of him, Nick Newell picked up his 6th career win in as many fights with a victory Friday night at XFC 15. Newell beat Denis Hernandez with a very impressive and exciting heel hook just over a minute in to the first round. Some of you might ask, why does this matter? Well, Newell has one arm. That's right, Newell has one fully grown arm, and one partially developed arm, as he was born without a left hand. The 25 year old started wrestling in high school, where he won 153 matches during his high school career. Newell is an inspiration to fans everywhere, but has said to have trouble finding fights due to his major handicap. Throughout his first 6 fights though, the lack of a left hand has not affected him standing up, or where people would expect it to affect him, on the ground. All 6 of Newell's fight were finished in the first round, with only his first fight going past the two minute mark. Newell fights out of Springfield, Massachusetts at Fighting Arts Academy. Here is a picture of the young, 155 pound phenom.

nick-newell-3.jpg

Newell has been very impressive in his first 6 fights against small competition, picking up 5 victories by submission (including the heel hook victory on Friday night), and one TKO victory. My questions to you are:

Do you think Newell is a legit fighter even though he has faced sub-par competition throughout his young career?

Do you think that him only having one arm will have an effect on where his career goes down the line?

Nick Newell is a great story for MMA. I had the pleasure of catching his last fight, and that leg lock was a thing of beauty. He has some tremendous skills and should be an inspiration for almost any young fighter or person with a disability. However, as much as I like him, I don't think he will ever break through to the top echelon of fighters. Elite strikers will pick him apart. Yes, his lack of two arms will leave him wide open for those guys who know how to pick their shots. Still, I think his wrestling and BJJ skills will do wonders for him, and will hopefully help him along to some kind of greatness.

Having a record of 6-0 is a good start for any up and coming fighter, but the fact that he is at such a disadvantage and still not only wins his fights but finishes them quickly and impressively really speaks for how talented he is. Imagine what this guy could do without his disability, the guy would probably already be getting scouted by top organizations.
I think that he is definitely a legit fighter and athlete but his lack of a left arm is going to keep him from getting to the elite level of the sport. It's not impossible for him to get there because he's a hell of a fighter and his disability does not seem to phase him, other fighters have been able to do so. Tre Telligman fought in the UFC 4 times and holds a win over a very respected fighter in Igor Vovchanchyn despite the lack of his entire right pectoral muscle.
Like I said, this young man is definitely talented and has been able to do amazing things considering his situation but odds are he will end up staying in the smaller shows, maybe he'll land a fight in MFC or Bellator if he's lucky. I certainly hope he proves me wrong though because I love his story and respect the hell out of him for the determination it must have taken him to get to where he is right now.

The guy is an inspiration no doubt, but you are ignorant if you say the lack of an arm won't affect how his career goes. No top organization will ever think of signing him simply because it completely undermines the legitimacy that the sport is looking for. You simply cannot have somebody with such a crippling disability fighting top level athletes and expect people to take the sport seriously. The guy is destined for lower level shows and such, but I hope Dana or somebody acknowledges him and rewards him for the incredible journey and determination because it really is a inspiration.

I hope I am not coming off as an ignorant asshole because it really is the opposite. I have the utmost respect and admiration for this man. He is truly an extraordinary man with an amazing story. I just cannot see him ever getting to the upper echelon MMA organizations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back