NHL Realignment

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
teams_map.jpg

Here it is, the 30 NHL teams. One thing you might notice right away. There sure are a lot of teams in the east. Makes sense, there are a lot of people in the east. What does this mean? Eastern teams have little to no travel time. What does this mean for the west? Extremely long trips between cities. Advantage? East.

There shouldn't be such clear advantages in sports. If Vancouver or Edmonton play in Dallas, Detroit, or Nashville, that is a 5 hour plane ride. Nothing compares in the East. It wears the western players out a lot more than the East, giving them the advantage once the playoffs meet up. I propose something that would make it a lot more equal, though in total more travel, balanced across the league as best you can.

I have a format that is quite simple, that really keeps a lot of rivalries, and building on a great potential rivalry, as Detroit and Pittsburgh would now meet in the same division.

North versus South.

North
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Minnesota
Chicago

Detroit
Toronto
Ottawa
Buffalo
Pittsburgh

New Jersey
New York
New York
Boston
Montreal

South
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Phoenix
Colorado

Dallas
Nashville
St. Louis
Columbus
Atlanta

Washington
Philadelphia
Florida
Tampa Bay
Carolina

I don't think it's a bad idea, but there's 2 big holes. When the NFL realigned, they made sure not to split up teams with great rivalries. Taking Pittsburgh and Philadelphia out of the same division as the Devils, Rangers, and Islanders is just bad business. Pittsburgh is slightly misplaced on that map also .They're a lot further south, and probably more south than Philly.

You're also splitting up the rivalries that Detroit has with teams like Colorado and Dallas. I know they've all but died down recently, but that's because they're not all competitive. Eventually, they will be, and it'll be huge again.

While the idea works in theory, there's no real way to execute it effectively.

Sometimes new rivalries need to be created.

Great Rivalries that can now be created

Detroit versus Pittsburgh
They have met twice now in the Stanley Cup playoffs, now they can meet 6 times a year. Sid the Kid will get his chance to play in Hockeytown three times a year before April.

Philadelphia versus Washington
Just watched them play last week in one of the best games I have watched in a while. Ovechkin and his Caps will meet Richards six times a year now.

Vancouver versus Chicago
We saw them last year battle it out, and it was right around this time that CH David signed onto the forums. I sure hated him, being a Chi Hawks fan. Now we can hate eachother much much more.

New York Rangers versus Montreal
Two original six teams get a fresh look at eachother. I would love to see the Rangers face the Canadiens much much more every year, seeing Price face The King.

New York Rangers versus Montreal
Two original six teams get a fresh look at eachother. I would love to see the Rangers face the Canadiens much much more every year, seeing Price face The King.

This was the one big plus to all the of the rivalries that could be created, outside of even the ones you posted. Those are all based on certain players, and don't have a lot of longevity after those guys move around. There's also cases where one team just won't be competitive for a long stretch, and then you're stuck with nothing.

The Rangers and the Habs would be a great feud because of the history, and nothing else. Two of the oldest franchises in hockey going at it more would be terrific, and as a Rangers fan, I'd love to see it. As it stands now though, I'm OK with waiting until the playoffs to see it...

One problem, being a Canadian is this, all the Canadian teams would be in one conference, instead of three in each. It is possible though, that all the Canadian teams could make the playoffs, and fill a conference, which could start a rivalry against a conference of Americans (Of course this is highly unlikely, until Toronto breaks off, and Minnesota joins Canada (Not Minnesota of this year (Then again, after tonight's game, Vancouver might have to leave the country))). But Canadian teams will now be apart of three divisions, instead of two.

One problem, being a Canadian is this, all the Canadian teams would be in one conference, instead of three in each. It is possible though, that all the Canadian teams could make the playoffs, and fill a conference, which could start a rivalry against a conference of Americans (Of course this is highly unlikely, until Toronto breaks off, and Minnesota joins Canada (Not Minnesota of this year (Then again, after tonight's game, Vancouver might have to leave the country))). But Canadian teams will now be apart of three divisions, instead of two.

This is all perfectly understandable. When I first started following hockey, I wondered why NY, NJ, and PA were all in the same conference, and then I got embroiled in "Matteau!! Matteau!!" and the rest is history.

Canada is an entire country though, as opposed to a metropolitan area. They definitely deserve to be spread out a little, and I wish there was a way to make that possible. Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal are all storied franchises, and Calgary, Vancouver, and Ottawa had all had their flashes. There should be a way to capitalize on it all...

I wrote to ESPN.com's John Buccigross about a year ago about my thoughts on NHL movement, and a few teams have to change addresses in order to make my ideas happen. What I think will result is a greater competitive balance, better hockey markets, and better rivalries.

Northeast Division
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo
Bangor, Maine (formerly NY Islanders)

This basically lumps together 5 Canadian teams (yes, I have exiled Buffalo to Canada) and keeps many major rivalries in tact. You may notice that Boston is no longer in this group. Also, the Islanders are gone, and the state of Maine has gotten its first ever pro sports franchise with the former Isles moving to Bangor.

Atlantic Division
New York Rangers
Washington
New Jersey
Boston
Philadelphia

Major rivalries remain in tact with the exception of Pittsburgh vs Philly. That's okay, though, because Philly feuds more with NY and NJ. This also adds Boston to the division (Boston / New York is an easy rivalry to see) and brings the Caps from DC up to the Atlantic.

Southeast Division
Carolina
Atlanta
Nashville
Tampa Bay
St. Louis

Exit, Panthers. Enter, St. Louis. Florida has been moved out West and the Blues join the other misfits.

Great Lakes Division
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Chicago
Minnesota

Keeps the Detroit / Chicago rivalry in tact while also adding the Pittsburgh / Detroit deal to the same division.

Southwest Division
Dallas
Colorado
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose

Poor Dallas, but that's the price you pay for being the ONLY pro hockey team anywhere NEAR Texas. It's not a killer, though. The 3 Cali teams are together.

Northwest Division
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Seattle (formerly Florida)
Portland OR Anchorage OR Juneau (formerly Phoenix)

The pacific Northwest gets itself two teams and finally life gets a smidge easier on the Western Canadian teams.

I'd love thoughts, criticisms, etc.

I like your realignment the best so far IC, although I have some minor disagreements with it. So I'll go division for Division with ya. Keep in mind, I'm an NHL follower, but I have no loyalty because I don't have a damn team.

Northeast Division
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Buffalo
Bangor, Maine (formerly NY Islanders)

Agree with all of these, minus the Bangor, Maine scenario. Simply put, no one gives a shit about Maine. I doubt the NHL would be willing to get rid of a team in the NYC area, but I'm not aware of the Islanders numbers as compared to the Rangers or the Devils in that Market.

I like the line up with the Canadian Division, however, if you were to move the Islanders, either give Hartford back the Whalers, or Quebec back the Nordiques. Hell, they are already planning an NHL calibre arena to be built in Quebec City, why not bring it back? If you don't get rid of the Islanders, then obviously Boston becomes the logical choice here.

Atlantic Division
New York Rangers
Washington
New Jersey
Boston
Philadelphia

Easily the best of the new alignment and have no gripes with it. The Northeast corridor is stacked with Hockey towns, and this just works. Again, if you keep the Islanders, Boston goes bye bye.

Southeast Division
Carolina
Atlanta
Nashville
Tampa Bay
St. Louis

Quite possibly the worst division in the history of all professional sports. Seriously, a group of 5 cities that probably give two shits about the sport in their town. None of these cities are worthy of an NHL team.

Great Lakes Division
Detroit
Pittsburgh
Columbus
Chicago
Minnesota

Nice to see the Rust belt get their little division here. I know it was mentioned about breaking up the Pittsburgh/Philly rivalry, but those two cities are so different it shouldn't matter. Pittsburgh is easily a midwestern town, whereas Philly relates more with the Northeast. The oddball team is Columbus, which I will get to more in the Columbus thread.

Southwest Division
Dallas
Colorado
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose

Again, if you are going to keep 2 teams in LA, then this is the best scenario. I personally wouldn't have Dallas exist, but I'm not sure if they are a success still or not. Texas Hockey just doesn't sound right and I can't see the fans really giving a shit while Football season is going on.

Northwest Division
Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Seattle (formerly Florida)
Portland OR Anchorage OR Juneau (formerly Phoenix)

Completely agree with Miami losing the Panthers (Miami is such a terrible sports town), and the Coyotes going bye bye (Again, the Phoenix area is a shit area for sports). However, I'm not sure if the Canucks would go for being the only team in the Northwest to being one of 3 teams in the Pacific Northwest if Portland were to get a team.

I'm all for Seattle getting a team. That city embraces pretty much anything that comes into town. I watched a Seattle Sounders soccer match and was blown away by the Crowd participation.

I like the realignment though over all, even though ic ompletely disagree with Maine getting a team. If it were me, I move the Coyotes back to Winnipeg as well.

Ocho, part of the reason I want Bangor, Maine to get a team is so Julie "The Cat" Gaffney can get a start in goal.

But seriously. Maine's college hockey program is VERY well followed. An NHL team up there might be a success, but in absence of that, I agree with Quebec.

Also, that "worthless" division you spoke of? Two Stanley Cups (Carolina and Tampa) this decade an a team that for a time (St. Louis) had the longest consecutive playoff appearance streak in the NHL.

The thing is, the Canadiens/Bruins rivalry would pretty much be kaput, and that is one of the biggest rivalries in the NHL. The NHL obviously wants them to play against each other as much as possible, and without them being in the same division, the games lose the luster that they otherwise would have. It would be like moving the Yankees to another division. If that took place, then baseball's biggest rivalry wouldn't have that many games played against each other.

I'm also a little dubious about the NHL wanting to take a team out of one of its biggest markets and moving it to Maine, which is a non-entity. If this were to conceivably happen, would they be able to sell out the arena every night? Would they be able to get enough funding for an arena that can seat at least 15,000 people? Remember that despite having a fanbase that was very devoted to the team, the Hartford Whalers wound up getting relocated due to market size and a lack of corporate sponsorship. I wouldn't move the Islanders. I would give the Phoenix Coyotes a new home, because the team is on the verge of bankruptcy, to either Oklahoma City (the Thunder are very popular there... there's a waiting list for season tickets, I'm sure they'd appreciate a hockey franchise too), or back to Canada.

Honestly, I like the alignment the way it is now. I can't picture it any way else and that's how it should be. When I watch classic NHL and see the Leafs in the West, it just doesn't fit. You look at all of the divisions now and the teams just fit together so perfectly. Sure there are some teams that are most east or west and in the wrong conference, but it all works out in the end. Call me old school, but I am not in favour of shaking up the conferences and divisions. Also, I don't think the league will change the alignment now anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back