NFL teams benching first round rookie QBs and the future of Johnny Manziel

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
A bit of a blog sort of post here. Normally something like this wouldn't be worth making a thread over, but I made a comment in the Sports Bar a few days ago about the idea of teams taking Rookie QBs early in hopes that they will be the future of their team, and then starting mediocre QBs over them in their first season. Which is why I think this move by the Browns is spark for an excellent discussion.

For example, the Jaguars are going with Chad Henne to start the season over third overall pick Blake Bortles. What is the point is taking a QB with the third overall pick when you have no solid starter in front of him, and have realistically no chance to contend for even the division let alone the playoffs? If it were my decision I would rather put the guy I think is going to be the face of my team in a few years right at the helm right away. Get him that experience now, and who knows if he really is the super stud I drafted him to be, then maybe he'll actually carry this awful team to a breakout season? There is no point in letting him sit on the sidelines and watch a guy like Chad Henne.

Now if there was a veteran leader in front of him then that justifies giving him time on the bench. Say a guy like Michael Vick while still no longer near starting caliber anymore, is a guy with veteran experience that could give your QB a few pointers. Chad Henne is not that guy, and I think the Jaguars are making a mistake with that decision, as are the Vikings with how they are handling Teddy Bridgewater to start the season.

And at first with the Browns I thought they were making the same mistake, but here's the thing...with Johnny Manziel it's different. This guy has more media attention than anyone in the league right now. Add on the missing team meetings, and the sign language he was using...being thrown right into the spotlight is actually one thing that won't help. Guys like Bortles and Bridgewater I think that would help them, but with Johnny it's the opposite. He needs to get out of the spotlight for a couple weeks, take his time, learn the playbook, and just get better.

So for once I think this is actually the right decision. Either way this Browns team is still at least a few years away from being contenders in the AFC North. That division is flat out tough. After the NFC West, I think that is the toughest division in the league. I personally think it's tougher because the AFC North has three contending teams right now while the NFC West is mostly the Seahawks and 49ers (The Cardinals and Rams aren't contenders in my mind). Ravens and Steelers are not going anywhere. Steelers became less relevant the last two years, and the Ravens had that Superbowl hangover last season, but both of them have majorly fixed at least most of the problems that they've had. Add on Cincinnati who are still big time contenders.

Now that I think of it I believe the NFC West is overrated. Seahawks and 49ers right off the bat are the two best teams in the entire league. But the Cardinals while they have some good players, are not playoff contenders this year. Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald are another year older, and Andre Ellington is a way too small to be a full time starter. That guy is going to be injured before the Arizona bye week and I'd bet money on it. The only real stud on their defense is Patrick Peterson, and nobody else even comes close to being as good. That team will not have as good of a season as they did last year, and unfortunately for them that 10-6 season wasn't even good enough to make the playoffs. They're looking at more of an 8-8 year this time around. 9-7 tops and that won't be good enough for the playoffs in the NFC. So other than the dog fight between the 'Hawks and Niners every year, that division is not tough.

The second toughest division honestly would be the NFC North. Packers, Bears, and Lions are all contenders for the playoffs. But I'm getting off topic, I'm going to make a prediction post soon going over each division and who I think will win it, but to get back on topic...the AFC North is tough. Steelers and Ravens showed signs of degression, but then turned around and fixed most of their problems, while the Bengals are still the same contending team that they've been with no signs of slowing down just yet. So the Browns have a lot of work to do to keep up in this division. It's certainly not happening this year. Next year with Josh Gordon back, and some right pieces together it will be steps in the right direction, but even then this is all assuming Johnny Football is as advertised. If he's a big bust...well then the Browns are back to square one. If he isn't then here's how I see things playing out long term.

If the Browns are going to content in the AFC North then it's going to be either because one the Bengals have serious QB trouble with Andy Dalton being such a scrub. Or two Ben Roethlisberger retiring and the Steelers being left without anyone at QB. The latter might take awhile because he's only 32. He has an absolute minimum of three seasons left, and I'm only giving him that little of time because the guy gets hit in the backfield more than any other back in the league with that offensive line and has suffered so many injuries because of it. But realistically I think he has a good six seasons left before he's done, and I think the Steelers will contend for most of that time span with a couple 9-7 seasons thrown in there. While the Ravens offense has gotten weaker with Ray Rice nearing the end and having little wideout talent in my opinion, Joe Flacco is still a solid starter and their defense is as good as it ever was, I don't see them going anywhere yet either.

There are so many obstacles the Browns and Johnny Manziel will have to overcome just to become playoff contenders in that division, and I don't see it happening for a few years at least with Manziel being on top of his game. If Johnny Manziel is a big fat bust, then the Browns go back to being a four win team that will continue to rebuild. And that city is just plain old cursed so their luck Manziel will be a bust.

Every situation is different. There's success stories with Luck, Wilson, Manning, Ryan, etc. There's also horror stories with Leaf, Carr, Gabbert, etc. Then you've got guys like Palmer and Rivers where sitting for a year really helped them and helped their respective teams. The Bengals with Palmer sitting went from 2 wins to 8 wins under Kitna and the Chargers went from 4 wins to 12 wins under Brees while Rivers sat. If the coaching staffs thought Manziel and Bortles were ready then they would be starting.

The notion that the Browns and Jags are definitely a few years away is also bullshit. Any team can go from complete shit to the playoffs in one year. Hell, the Chiefs just did it last year. The Chargers did it in 2004 with Rivers sitting on the bench (yes they had Brees but his first 27 starts as a qb before that year were average at best). Anything can happen in the NFL. Do I think Chad Henne and Brian Hoyer are the answers? Hell no, but you can also do a lot worse then them as your quarterback. You can say Bortles and Manziel are missing out on experience by sitting the bench. You can just as easily say they get to avoid being beaten up and having their spirit broken (David Carr) and get to avoid being exposed as a young guy who just isn't ready to start (Blaine Gabbert).

The Ravens defense is as good as it ever was? :confused:

Both the Jags and Browns offenses have a lot if building to do. Neither guy benefits from playing with rental players meant to get the team another high pick. May as well play out the season and give Manziel and Bottles some reps when expectations are completely rock bottom or not at all.

And Hoyer gave the Browns a huge lift last year.

Who said what about the Ravens!?!? Aw shit, son!

*cracks knuckles*

I wouldn't go telling Steve Smith, Sr. that his addition has made the two-time World Champion Baltimore Ravens less talented at wide receiver. He can be... grouchy. Plus the passing game will benefit from the addition of Owen Daniels. New OC Gary Kubiak likes to run two tight ends, and you could do a lot worse than Daniels and Dennis Pitta. And let's not forget the fact that the refs aren't letting defensive backs so much as think about touching receivers this year. With burners like Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones and Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco sporting one of the strongest arms in the game, there are either gonna be a lot of home runs or a lot of penalty yards. Call it Lawyer Ball, but fuck it, I'll take it if they're giving it.

As for the running game, only time will tell if Kubiak's zone blocking scheme will improve things, but after finishing 30th in the league in rushing offense, I'm gonna guess we see some improvement. Expect Ray Rice to run like his reputation depends on it, and swapping out Gino Gradkowski at center for Jeremy Zuttah is a big upgrade in skill and experience.

And while I like the Ravens D, saying it's "as good as it ever was" might be stretching it considering that the best defense of all-time (suck it Chicago) once called M&T Bank Stadium their home. The front seven is pretty stacked, however, which is good because the back four is thin. QBs can't test that if they're seeing stars, though, so things should balance out.

As for starting rookie QBs, that's a case-by-case deal. Coach Harbaugh didn't want to start Joe Flacco as a rookie, but Troy Smith caught pneumonia or something. The Ravens haven't had a losing season since and got some bling to boot. Just because Harbs stepped in shit doesn't mean every head coach can be so lucky, and the only head coach that should be counting on luck this season is Chuck Pagano (graduate of the Ravens School of Head Coaching-- Rex Ryan, Mike Smith, and Marvin Lewis are also alumni).

So, bottom line is the Ravens piss excellence, and it splashed on Camden Yards and now the Orioles are kicking the BoSox right in their Papi's and turning Hal Steinbrenner into his dad. Sports fans-- look upon the greatness that resides in the Inner Harbor then kill yourselves*.

I think it's usually best to let your rookies sit, at least at first. The transition from playing college qb and playing NFL qb is a big, and often long one. While Henne, Hoyer, and Castle might not be the long term answer their respective teams are looking for, they might all still be the best short term. Eventually, when they're ready, they'll all get their chance. Until then, its good for them to be able to sit back, learn, and not be held to so much pressure in their first season.

It all depends on the team, the climate of the division.

If you feel like you can depend on your offensive line for competent protection, and you have a veteran WR or two, then yea, go for it. Having sub-par portions in either of those positions can severely hinder development, and in some cases, inflict irrevocable damage(Hi, David Carr!!)

Not playing some of the nastiest defenses in the league also matters a lot. If you have the team who is number one in QB destruction via turnovers and QB pressure, then you may want to ensure your prized draft pick is REALLY ready before you put him out there.

As far as Manziel, who the fuck cares.

Today is a great example of why it may not be wise to throw a young qb to the wolves. Chad Henne was sacked 10 times today. The Jags had no offense whatsoever and it's easy to know why. Toby Gerhart is a god awful number one back, Marquise Lee and Alan Hurns are the top two receivers, and the offensive line is absolutely atrocious. I think Blake Bortles is getting saved from becoming David Carr right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back