NFL Predictions Thread

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Since training camp has now begun, we can begin to talk about the upcoming NFL season. Use this thread to post your pre-season predictions for NFL teams. You can go team by team, division by division, conference by conference, or all in one post. Just try to keep them all in here.

I'll be doing division by division and begin with the division I know best, the NFC North.

NFC North
1. Green Bay
2. Detroit
3. Chicago
4. Minnesota

I know, I know - very exciting picks, right? I do see the North repeating it's finishes this year despite some aggressive moves by the Bears. I don't see the Packers repeating their 15-1 output this year and wouldn't be surprised to see them fall to something like 12-4, still likely good enough for a first round bye. A-Rod is the best QB in the NFL and they have a dangerous WR core, but RB is still an issue and, despite addressing some problems on D in the draft, still will struggle to keep teams off the board if not only because their offense scores so fast.

The Lions are like Packers-lite on offense, only Staffords not as mobile and their weapons aren't as good/proven as GB. Still, they're essentially adding 2 other rookies to their class with Mikel Leshoure and Nick Fairley due to both barely (or in Leshoure's case, not) seeing the field last year. If Leshoure can come out after his two game suspension and produce like the Lions thought he would a year ago, that brings some nice balance to the offense. You can't really rely on Jahvid Best at this point due to his concussion concerns, but should he be healthy he can be an effective change of pace back for the offense. The secondary could have some problems, especially after cutting projected starter Aaron Berry, but if Fairley plays up to his potential their back 7 can play more in coverage due to the D-Lines ability to dominate.

The Bears made the most noise in adding a legit #1 receiver in Brandon Marshall and signing Matt Forte to an extension. While the Bears certainly looked to be on their way to a playoff berth before injuries derailed them, I think the Marshall acquisition is a bit overrated, as I'm not sure I'd even put him in the second tier of top WR's like Jennings and Mike Wallace. Forte is coming off an injury and is a change in offensive systems. Their defense should still be solid, though, and I expect them to be neck and neck with the Lions and that final game in Detroit could determine a playoff berth.

As for the Vikes, potentially having Adrian Peterson out for the beginning of the season isn't the best news to have in what's already a lowly thought of team. If they can get 6 or 7 wins playing in this division they should consider this season a success. The biggest thing they need is development by Christian Ponder to assure them of the first round pick they spent on him last year. Another top 10 draft pick is in their future, I'd guess.

NFC North

1. Green Bay (13-3)
2. Detroit (11-5)
3. Chicago (9-7)
4. Minnesota (5-11)

The Packers are still the class of the NFC North until they are overtaken. I don't see them repeating the same dominance as last year but they still have arguably the most talented offense in the NFL and I expect their defense to be improved. The ageless Charles Woodson moving to safety should lengthen his career and keep his impact at its highest possible level.

The Lions still have some issues in their secondary and with Jhavid Best's future uncertain they lack depth at running back, however, they still have the Stafford/Johnson combo that was unstoppable last year. They also have a defense that will only get better considering their youth. I expect a huge year from Suh as well.

The Bears added some good talent (namely Brandon Marshall) this offseason but I still don't see them overtaking the Pack or Lions in the standings. The defense continues to age and I don't trust Matt Forte to stay healthy.

The Vikings are still rebuilding. Christian Ponder enters year two, the receiving corp still lacks depth, and their best offensive player is coming off a major injury. They just have too many holes.

NFC North
1. Green Bay
2. Chicago
3. Detroit
4. Minnesota

Green Bay is definitely the team to beat in the north, with a great receiving core and arguably the best QB in the game. Chicago is the second best team in the north when you look at the additions Chicago got on offense with Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey. Chicago would have been in the playoffs last season if it wasn't for Cutler going down. Detroit I believe they will regress this year, their secondary was atrocious last season and I don't think they've improved. I see Detroit being a 500 time this year. Minnesota in last place because Christian Ponder is their QB.

Green Bay
-It is still the Packers division to lose. The Bears have improved, the Lions will continue to get better, and the Vikings, well they are just there. Packers have arguably the best offense in the league and you know Rodgers is going to use his weapons wisely. I can't see them losing the division at this point.

Chicago Bears
-I like what the Bears did this offseason (unfortunately). They brought Jay Cutler his big homie in Brandon Marshall and drafted Alshon Jeffrey. A risky pick, but it certainly could pay off as he has first round talent. Throw in the combo of Forte and Michael Bush and things are looking nice on the offensive side. Defense is getting older, but still talented. I expect them to compete for one of the wild card spots.

Detroit Lions
-I think the Lions take a slight step back this year, but they'll still be a contender. The RB situation seems to be in question as Best can't seem to stay healthy and who knows with Leshoure and Kevin Smith. The off field issues this offseason have me a bit worried, but I think they can overcome it and be neck and neck with Chicago. I expect the two to either tie or have one win separating them.

Minnesota Vikings
-Can't see my beloved Vikings finishing anywhere other than last. I like what the team has done this offseason bringing in Matt Kalil, Harrison Smith, and Josh Robinson through the draft. Kalil and Smith should start from the get go, but don't count out Robinson fighting for a CB spot. The Vikes will hang around, but will still finish at the bottom. Either way I look forward to seeing what we do.

NFC East
1. Philadelphia
2. Dallas
3. New York
4. Washington

I believe I predicted this to be the finish last year, and dammit I'm gonna stick by it. The Giants were a flukey champion who had an improbable run like in 07. However, unlike the next years team, this team doesn't seem as loaded for a division title. Manningham (who arguably made the POTG in the Super Bowl) gone. Jacobs, gone. Nicks is coming off an injury. I just can't buy these guys backing their way into the playoffs and winning another Super Bowl. I'd say it's more likely they finish under .500 than making the playoffs.

As for the team I did predict to win the division, I'm on the Philly bandwagon yet again because while their defense did struggle to begin the year under Luis Castillo, in the last month or so they really caught their stride and if they would've made the playoffs I could've seen them as a threat. They do have a big question mark with Vick at QB due to his inability to stay on the field often, but they got one of the best backs in Shady McCoy and a still dangerous WR tandem in Maclin/Jackson. As I said, the defense should be better, and I'm thinking we get a healthy Vick on the year.

I feel like the Cowboys should regularly be in the playoffs with as much talent they have, but they always seem to fuck it up somehow. This year it was the meltdown in Dallas against the Giants. Still, with the additions they made to the secondary (Brandon Carr + Morris Claibourn), a legit #1 back in Demarco Murray, weapons themselves in the passing game, I still see a 9+ win team.

As for the Redskins, while this could be a make or break year for Mike Shanahan, give me a year on the RG3 plan and I do think they will become a threat. Still need some receivers around him and there will be growing pains. Still, they should play spoiler and with a last place schedule could sneak their way into playoff talk.

NFC East

1. Philadelphia (11-5)
2. New York Giants (10-6)
3. Dallas (8-8)
4. Washington (6-10)

The Eagles had a very disappointing season last year but they finished strong winning their last 4 and were one game away from winning the division and taking the Giants place in the playoffs. Everything falls on the shoulders of Michael Vick. He has reportedly worked on his strength a great deal this off season and he'll need it to stay healthy.

The G Men are the defending champions but I'm not completely sold going into this year. They will be in the thick of the playoff hunt like every year but they need to be more consistent.

The Cowboys are going to stay exactly where they were last season. I don't see anything that makes them much better this year vs last year. Whether it's a coaching change or a roster move, they need a change to become contenders. I like Morris Claiborne but a rookie corner isn't enough for them to take that next step.

The Redskins will be this years Carolina Panthers. I believe RGIII will make an impact sooner rather then later but the roster as a whole still needs some work. They are a couple years away.

I'm going to start with the AFC. My AFC predictions were terrible last year as I only got two teams right (Patriots & Jets) in terms of their standings in the respective division. Hopefully this year will be better.

AFC East
1. New England Patriots (13-3)
2. Buffalo Bills (10-6)
3. New York Jets (9-7)
4. Miami Dolphins (8-8)

All last year, I heard that the defense was going to be the downfall of the Patriots. I never took much stock into how many yards a defense gives up. It's all about points and they were 15th in points per game allowed while the Super Bowl champion Giants were 25th. The defense stepped up when it mattered and they were one or two catches away from a Super Bowl. Their schedule is easy this year and the defense continues to get better. I really don't see much of a challenge for them when it comes to their division.

Buffalo started off great and ended horribly with Fred Jackson going down and it's been reported that Fitzpatrick broke some ribs against Washington which may have contributed to their seven game losing streak. Mario Williams is a huge addition to a good defense and will pay dividends.

The Jets have a great defense as usual but I'm not too crazy about their offense. I really don't trust Santonio Holmes as an #1 and they don't have much else behind him. They seem to be going towards more of a ground-and-pound offense but they're going to have to put up points and I don't think they'll put up enough.

Matt Moore impressed me last year and they've added David Garrard who is a solid quarterback so there is going to be competition. I don't think Chad Johnson is an upgrade from Brandon Marshall and the rest of the receiving corps is average at best. They'll be better but will still finish last.

AFC North
1. Baltimore (11-5)
2. Cincinnati (9-7)
3. Pittsburgh (8-8)
4. Cleveland (6-10)

Baltimore screwed the pooch last season when they lost to Seattle and Jacksonville or else they would have been hosting the championship game instead of New England. I think everything will be as is this season and the x-factor will be Anquan Boldin. If he can be what he was in Arizona, then I can see the Ravens going to the Super Bowl this year. Flacco's completion percentage was five percentage points lower than it was in 2010 but I'm confident he'll get it back up. This could be Ray Lewis and Ed Reed's last chance at a Super Bowl and they have all the pieces.

I remember during an episode of First Take last year in which Lomas Brown said that it was possible that the Bengals would be 0-16. Well, they surprised the hell out of me and almost everybody else with a trip to the playoffs. They have a stout defense and Dalton to Green could be a scary combination for the next five to ten years. Other than their Week 13 loss to the Steelers by 28, the other games against them and Baltimore were within eight points. I believe they could win half of those games this year and be a moderate threat to Baltimore.

Pittsburgh worries me. I don't know how the dynamic between Todd Haley and Big Ben is going to play out. Add on to the fact that they haven't signed Mike Wallace, Ben has a rotator cuff injury, and Mendenhall is coming back off of injury. Roethlisberger has carried this team for the past few years and I don't know how long the defense can hold up anymore. This just looks like one of those years will the Steelers are going to be average and it kills me while I'm typing this.

Cleveland had an underrated defense last year. Problem was that they couldn't score to save their lives. Peyton Hillis had one great year and was mediocre. I can't even name two of their receivers. They drafted Brandon Weeden and Trent Richardson but I don't know how much it is going to help right away. With the division they're in, I don't see them making much noise. With their defense, they'll be able to keep some games close but lose in the end because they won't put up enough points.

NFC South
1. Atlanta
2. New Orleans
3. Carolina
4. Tampa Bay

Atlanta's my favorite in the division in large part due to Payton not being there and the slight turnover you get in division winners each year. They should open up the passing game more this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Julio Jones have a big year in his second year in the system.

I do think the Saints will be in playoff contention, though. If they go 3-3 or 4-2 to begin the year before Joe Vitt comes back to control the team they'll be in good shape. Drew Brees will still be Drew Brees, so it'll be key for the defense to play to at least a manageable level to keep them in the upper echelon. I don't buy what many are saying that the Saints will fall out of playoff contention completely without Payton. Not with as talented of an offense as they have.

Carolina could be a real trendy sleeper pick for many due to the impressive performance by Cam Newton in his rookie year last year, but I still think they could be a year away. They could definitely upset anyone on their schedule due to Cam going off, but he did turnover the ball quite often and I don't think he'll be used as a run threat as often as he was last year. They made a nice pick in the draft with Luke Kuechly, but they still need an extra year.

Tampa I think could be a very dangerous team. Raheem Morris lost the team midseason and Josh Freeman had a terrible year, but with Schiano and some weapons added (Vincent Jackson, Dallas Clark, Doug Martin) I could see them flirt with .500. They are only a year removed from being a 10 win team, and a bounceback year by Freeman could at least make them more competitive.

AFC South
1. Houston (12-4)
2. Tennessee (8-8)
3. Indianapolis (6-10)
4. Jacksonville (3-13)

Matt Schaub is coming off an injury and Andre Johnson hurt his groin earlier in the week so that's always a concern. Wade Phillips radically transformed a defense that was abysmal to one of the best in the NFL last year. I see no reason why they won't win the AFC South and the middle of their schedule is tough but they have three straight home games against Green Bay, Baltimore, and Buffalo.

Tennessee was a real surprise at 9-7 last season and I've heard rumors that they could start Jake Locker. Locker impressed me when he came into games and Hasselbeck was solid as usual. I'm glad they drafted Kendell Wright as Kenny Britt's situation is up in the air and they need something at receiver. Chris Johnson came out of the gate slow last year but I believe he can have around a 1500-yard season.

I thought Reggie Wayne would split after Peyton Manning but I'm glad he stayed as it least Andrew Luck has someone to throw to. They still have Freeney and Mathis and Luck will give them a few wins.

Everyone talked about how Tebow was so terrible last year but Blaine Gabbert had worse statistics than Tim did in some areas. Jones-Drew may hold out and Blackmon has already had his issues. I don't know how much better Blaine is going to get and this team really isn't that much better than last year so I see another dismal season from them.

NFC South

1. New Orleans (10-6)
2. Atlanta (9-7)
3. Carolina (8-8)
4. Tampa Bay (6-10)

With no Sean Payton and no Jonathan Vilma the Saints will take a little hit but I still like them to win the division. Drew Brees has his new contract and as long as he is under center they will always be in contention.

I see Atlanta taking a step back this year. Michael Turner is another year older and has another year of punishment under his belt. With the running game not at its best ATL will have to become even more of a passing team and their best success comes when the running game is going well.

Carolina is still a year away from playoff contention but Cam Newton proved last year he can play in this league and play well. They are a young team but have a few talented veterans that balance everything out.

Tampa will have another disappointing season. I know they added some names in free agency and the draft but I just can't see them winning too many more games then last year.

NFC West

San Francisco (12-4)
Seattle (8-8)
Arizona (6-10)
St. Louis (5-11)

The 49ers are still clearly the class of the division. Their defense is the best in the league and their offense is only going to get better with the additions of Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, AJ Jenkins, Brandon Jacobs, and LaMichael James. Alex Smith has another year under Jim Harbaugh and a ridiculous amount of weapons. This is easily the most talented 49ers offense since the days of Steve Young, Jerry Rice, TO, JJ Stokes, and Garrison Hearst.

The Seahawks will be improved solely because they upgraded the most important position. quarterback. Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson will bring in some competition and improve the offense. I expect a big year from Marshawn Lynch.

The Cardinals will take a step back this season. I know they finished strong last year but I'm still not a big fan of Kevin Kolb or their defense. They have some good talent their but not enough to compete for a playoff spot.

The Rams will be improved but they are still a work in progress. Jeff Fisher is a great coach and you'll see a much improved defense right away. I also expect a bounce back year from Sam Bradford.

NFC West
1. Seattle
2. San Francisco
3. Arizona
4. St. Louis

The first surprise of mine, and it's Seattle winning the division. I know we only really have a two game sample size from Matt Flynn, but I do think he will be, at worst, a servicable QB that doesn't lose them games. So, in other words, an improvement over Tavaris Jackson. Marshawn Lynch is still a solid back and their defense improved significantly last year. I don't think very highly of either St. Louis or Arizona, and still feel that the 49ers overachieved a tad and can't replicate 13 wins again. It would be nearly impossible, especially with a much tougher schedule at hand.

I still think the 49ers will be in the playoff hunt, especially with their defense, but I think some of their additions were a tad overrated. We're really going to rely on an aging Randy Moss, a 3rd option in NY Mario Manningham, a rookie AJ Jenkins, and Michael Crabtree to carry this passing game? Not to mention, last year was Frank Gore's first healthy season where he played every game since his 2nd year. Everything just seemed to go too right for them last year for them to not have some bad luck come and get them. They still will be up in the 9 or 10 win column, but I'd guarantee they don't win even 12+.

The Cards are tough to get a bandwagon on because they don't have a QB you can trust. Kevin Kolb has had injury problems and was replaced by John Skelton, who actually had a worse passer rating than Tim Tebow did. While they have some nice pieces around the QB, unless Kolb shows what he had back in Philly I can't buy them as a serious threat.

The Rams will be rebuilding, yet again, this time with Jeff Fisher taking the reigns. They should improve at least a few wins as long as they get some better health from their players. Bradford went down last year, their CBs went down a lot (I believe) last year, and they just need some better luck. They still don't have a real #1 option at receiver in my eyes, but just due to the fact that they were so bad last year it wouldn't be a shock they win 5 or 6 games. They did address the defense quite a bit during the draft and FA (signing Cortland Finnegan) but they are at least another draft class away from being a real threat to the top of the division.

AFC East
1. New England
2. Buffalo
3. New York
4. Miami

Another year, another division title for the Patriots. Not a lot has changed for them this offseason, not that there was a lot that needed to be done beside some defensive additions. With Brady and Belichick still there, it'd be quite an upset if we see anyone other than the Patriots were to take the division crown.

As for the battle for 2nd, I like the Bills to finally step forward and make a run ffor the playoffs. They made a big free agent splash with Mario Williams to further improve their defensive line. Ryan Fitzpatrick struggled in the 2nd half of the year, but there are now reports out that he was suffering from a rib injury throughout that time so he should be fully healed now. I wouldn't say they'll make the playoffs, but they'll be the closest of the bunch.

The Jets just seem like a ticking timebomb. While it's great for media stories, this team hasn't really improved unless you really believe Tebow is the savior (which he won't be for at least the first few weeks). The defense should still be solid and could carry them to a respectable record, but I feel like the offense will still hold them back and Rex Ryan could enter the offseason either fired or on the hot seat, especially if they falter down the stretch again.

The Dolphins could easily take 2nd place in this division if they were to add some offensive firepower at receivers. The defense is definitely legit, but when Chad Johnson has a chance to be your #1 receiver, somethings wrong. I would hope for their sake they let Matt Moore or David Garrard start the season off and either ease Tannehill in or let him sit out the whole year (which isn't out of the possibility with Philbin at the helm) and let him learn on the bench with a clipboard. While it doesn't sound like fun, the long-term results could be very substantial.

AFC East

New England (12-4)
NY Jets (8-8)
Buffalo (7-9)
Miami (6-10)

The Pats should have no problem winning the division this year. The offense isn't losing any fire power and the defense can only get better. As long as Brady and Belichick are together I'm not going to bet against them.

I can't see the Jets as much of a threat this year. Their defense will still keep them at .500 but their offense still isn't doing it for me. Weak receiving group, major questions at qb, and even their running back situation isn't anything to write home about.

The Bills will likely be more consistent this year but I'm still not sold on Fitzpatrick as the long term solution at qb. They are still a year and a player or two away from contention.

The Dolphins could surprise some people if they play their cards right. They have a good defense and talent at running back, it all just depends on the passing game. Chad Johnson is likely the number one and rumor has it that Braylon Edwards may be signed as the number two. They lack depth at receiver and whether they go with Garrard or Moore at qb, neither guy is the long term solution. Maybe if this was 2007 then the threesome of Garrard/Johnson/Edwards could get them to the playoffs but not in 2012.

AFC North

Baltimore (12-4)
Pittsburgh (11-5)
Cincinnati (8-8)
Cleveland (4-12)

The Ravens defense will continue to lead the team and I really like the addition of Courtney Upshaw. The Terrell Suggs injury hurts but I expect the team to rally around that and I also believe Suggs will return by the end of the season. I expect more consistency from Flacco and a big year from Ray Rice.

The Steelers season depends on the health of Ben Roethlisberger. The defense will continue to play strong and I expect an even bigger year from Antonio Brown, but at the end of the day their franchise qb needs to be healthy for them to compete for a title. It will also be interesting to see how Issac Redmond transitions into the starting role at running back until Mendenhall comes back.

The Bengals were huge overachievers last year and while they improved their roster, I still see a little drop off. The corner tandem of Leon Hall and Dre Kirkpatrick has potential to be dangerous. I'd like to see the Marvin Lewis led Bengals put together a second straight winning season, but that's hard to do considering a Marvin Lewis led Bengals team has never had back to back winning seasons.

The Browns future is looking brighter after drafting a new starting running back and quarterback in Trent Richardson and Brandon Weeden. However, I don't expect a rookie qb/rb tandem and a young group of receivers to win very many games this year. They have a solid defense but this year will be more of a learning experience then anything for the Browns

AFC North
1. Baltimore
2. Pittsburgh
3. Cincinnati
4. Cleveland

Same finish as last season for me. Baltimore really keeps shooting themselves in the foot each postseason and you have to think one of these years they'll really put it together and make their return to the Super Bowl. With Torrey Smith in his 2nd year with Flacco he should grow as a player and get more opportunities, while Ray Rice is still a stud. Terell Suggs being out for most (if not all) the year will be a big blow to an aging defense, but Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Jimmy Smith still lead a top defense.. I wouldn't be surprised to see them post 12 wins again with their consistency.

Pittsburghs biggest issue this year looks like health. Ben Roethlisberger is already talking about a shoulder injury of his and Rashard Mendenhall is out at least early on due to an ACL injury. Mike Wallace isn't in camp yet which is another issue, but he should sign the tender and make it in before too long. Like Baltimore, they still have a top defense which should keep them in games, and the division will likely come in how the 2 games between them end up.

Cincinnati was a surprise last season and feasted a bit on their easy schedule, but still, a playoff berth with a rookie QB and WR is impressive nevertheless. They will stay in contention because of their soft schedule (3rd place teams again) but I still can't buy them as a true threat to either of the top two until they start beating the top 2. They'll be a boarderline playoff team at 8 or 9 wins, but I think they end up just missing it.

Cleveland made some nice additions to their offense via the draft, but already bad news is coming out that top pick Trent Richardson is going to need surgery on his knee and may miss the opener, which isn't good to hear. If Brandon Weeden was 24 or 25 instead of going on 29 then I think they would have their QB of the future, but their window with him is short and he's going to have to perform early. They still are short are weapons at receiver with Greg Little being the only threat to pay attention to, and as such their offense will cause them to lose a few games that they'll have a chance at winning because of its ineptitude. 7 is the ceiling for this team, and likely only 5 or 6.

AFC South

Houston (11-5)
Tennessee (7-9)
Jacksonville (5-11)
Indianapolis (4-12)

This is probably the worst division in all of football. Houston is clearly the best team and with Matt Schaub back healthy they will easily win the division. Shit, even without Schaub they would be the favorites.

The Titans are a team that overachieved last season and I don't think they got any better. I expect Chris Johnson to have a much better year but as a whole they won't be contenders. The qb battle will be something to watch for all season.

The Jaguars aren't very good and when I look at Blaine Gabbert I still see a bust. MJD is their only great player and it has already been reported that he won't be getting a new contract so that may affect his mindset.

The Colts believe they have their franchise qb for the next 10 plus years but the team still lacks talent and has a lot of work to do. They have the biggest piece of their rebuilding effort but it's going to be a couple years before they start making much noise.

AFC West

Denver (10-6)
Kansas City (9-7)
Oakland (7-9)
San Diego (7-9)

This is the hardest division to predict as I could legitimately see any of the four teams winning it. I'm going with Denver because they have a good running game, solid defense, and a guy who goes by the name of Peyton Manning.

The Chiefs will be a more consistent team under Romeo Crennell but I'm still not sold on Matt Cassell as their quarterback. I think they still need to add a couple pieces but they will be in the playoff hunt.

The Raiders made one of the more awful trades in recent memory last year when they acquired Carson Palmer. If Run DMC can stay healthy then they have a shot at the playoffs but that is a big IF.

This likely will be and should be the last year for Norv Turner as the Chargers head coach. The team has consistently underachieved with him at the helm and this offseason I believe they got worse in terms of overall talent.

I'll be back with my playoff predictions but after predicting the regular season my playoff teams and seeds are as follows:

NFC
1. Green Bay
2. San Francisco
3. Philadelphia
4. New Orleans
5. Detroit
6. NY Giants

AFC
1. New England
2. Baltimore
3. Houston
4. Denver
5. Pittsburgh
6. Kansas City

AFC South
1. Houston
2. Tennessee
3. Jacksonville
4. Indianapolis

Same finish as last year for me. While losing Mario Williams to FA could be a big loss, they did quite fine without him for the last 10-11 games of the season. They'll still hold one of the best running games with Foster/Tate, and if Schaub could ever stay healthy they could make a deep playoff run. With a weak division they should be very well in line to earn a bye.

Tennessee is the only potential contender with some nice weapons such as Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt (if he can stay healthy), Nate Washington, rookie Kendall Wright, and Jared Cook. The big decision for Mike Munchaks team will be who will win the starting QB job, and while I think Hasselbeck will begin teh season as one, it will only be time before 2nd year Jake Locker takes over. He's been handled slowly and been given time to develop, and unless Hasselbeck really lights it on fire, I wouldn't doubt that we see Locker starting sometime this year.

Jacksonville really needs one thing for this year to be a success - legitimate improvement from 1st rounder Blaine Gabbert. Unlike some who have already given up on him, I'll hold out some hope for him. Granted, his rookie year was completely awful and underwhelming, but with a new regime and some maturity (remember he came out as a true junior, so he's still very young and raw) he could make some noticable improvement. For his and the Jags sake, I hope so.

As for Indianapolis, their talent level is very low, and it'll take at least another draft class to make this team a competitive one. Andrew Luck already looks like a stud, but Colts fans shouldn't be too disappointed with a 4 or 5 win campaign.

AFC West
1. Kansas City (9-7)
2. Denver (9-7)
3. San Diego (8-8)
4. Oakland (7-9)

Kansas City had everyone injured last year and they're all coming back. Bowe will be happy to have Cassel throw him the ball and I like their defense and the team appears to love their head coach, Romeo Crenell.

Denver has a tough schedule this year and I'm skeptical about their defense. You can say that the defense carried Tebow, but they were still 20th. Their wide receivers are average and we'll see how good McGahee will be without Tebow. Manning is an upgrade and if his neck holds up then they could reach double figures in terms of win. I don't see that happening.

San Diego suffered a blow with Vincent Jackson leaving so Antonio Gates will have to shoulder more of the load. Mathews is out yet again and Rivers will have to erase that bad season from his memory. Norv is on the hot seat and I think this will be the year that will get him fired.

Oakland lost Michael Bush and their wide receivers are questionable. Palmer should be a little better in his second season but I don't see much improvement anywhere. If McFadden can stay healthy for a whole season, I could see them winning the division. I don't trust he can so Oakland will finish last.

NFC East
1. Dallas (10-6)
2. Philadelphia (9-7)
3. New York Giants (8-8)
4. Washington (6-10)

Dallas gave away a lot of games last year to Detroit, New England, and Arizona. Romo will be solid as usual and they sured up their secondary. The questions will be about Dez Bryant and will he have his head on straight and the offensive line.

Philadelphia won four straight last year to end the disappointment that was last season. Michael Vick's health is constantly an issue and Castillo's defense should be much better than it was. I like McCoy at running back and now that Jackson got paid, he better play like it.

New York lost Jake Ballard, Mario Manningham, and Brandon Jacobs. Hakeem Nicks is coming off an injury and the Giants usually have average regular seasons. I just don't see a playoff berth this year for them. Maybe next year.

Washington's defense is always solid so I'm curious to see how the offense will fare. Garcon was good when he had Manning throwing him the ball so it will be interesting to see how he'll do with Griffin. This isn't a make or break year for Mike Shanahan, but next year may be.

NFC North
1. Green Bay (12-4)
2. Chicago (11-5)
3. Detroit (9-7)
4. Minnesota (4-12)

Green Bay picked up Cedric Benson which was a good addition for them. Aaron Rodgers will be Aaron Rodgers and their offense will score a lot of points. Their defense gave up the most passing yards in NFL history and they have to get better. I don't see the season they had last year but they'll still win the division.

Chicago added Brandon Marshall and Michael Bush which was much needed. Cutler needed someone to throw to and Bush could relieve the pressure off of Matt Forte. Their offensive line was coming along before Cutler got hurt and if the line can keep him upright, then I see big things for the Bears.

Detroit has two dynamic offensive players in Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson. I like Ryan Broyles being drafted and I feel he'll make a little bit of noise this year. I worry about their running backs and their defense as it tended to shoot themselves at the foot many a time.

I really don't have that much to say about Minnesota but "Good luck, Christian. You're going to need it."

Here are my Wild Card predictions

NFC

Philadelphia vs NYG- I'm taking Philly to advance. The Giants are known for there great playoff runs but I don't see them taking out a division rival on the road. The Eagles have too much fire power on offense and a secondary capable of matching up with the Giants passing attack.

New Orleans vs Detroit- In a rematch from last year, I'm going with the Lions. Detroit is an improved team this year on both sides of the ball and the Saints have gotten a little worse. The Lions were close last year and they take the victory this year.

AFC

Houston vs Kansas City- I'm going with the Chiefs in an upset. Houston has a very solid team but nothing wows me about them. Arian Foster may be the best back in the NFL but the Chiefs have a good defense and I think they are more dynamic on offense. They have a one, two running back combo in Jamal Charles and Peyton Hillis and a very versatile rb/wr in Dexter McCluster. I'm a fan of their young receiving group as well.

Denver vs Pittsburgh- This is another tough one and it again goes back to the health of Ben Roethlisberger. If he goes into this years playoffs like he did last years the the Broncos will win. If Ben is able to move around well and do what has made him a top 5 qb then the Steelers have the stronger team. Looking at Roethlisberger's recent health history, I'm taking the Broncos.

This sets up the following divisional match ups: Green Bay/Detroit, San Francisco/Philadelphia, New England/KC, Baltimore/Denver.

NFC South
1. New Orleans (11-5)
2. Atlanta (9-7)
3. Carolina (8-8)
4. Tampa Bay (8-8)

New Orleans may not have Payton but they still have one of the best offenses in the NFL to get them by. The defense will take a hit with Vilma gone but they are almost unbeatable at home and if they can go 4-4 on the road, a spot in the playoffs is theirs.

Atlanta may be the most boring good team year after year. Turner is solid as usual and Julio Jones could be one of the top five receivers in terms of receiving yards. They still have Roddy White and Old Reliable Tony Gonzalez and their defense was 4th in the NFC last year and I expect more of the same this go around.

Beason was out for Carolina last year and that hurt them on defense. I expect the usual from Steve Smith but I need to see some other receivers improve. Cam Newton tailed off at the end of last year and will have to avoid a sophomore slump. They'll be better but I only see a couple of games improvement.

Tampa Bay had a real disappointing season last year and their defense was horrendous with all those blowout losses. Vincent Jackson is a much needed addition on offense and Freeman will have to cut down the interceptions if the Buccaneers have any chance of at least going 8-8.

NFC West
1. San Francisco (12-4)
2. Seattle (8-8)
3. Arizona (8-8)
4. St. Louis (5-11)

Some people are picking Seattle to win the division but I just think San Francisco is far and away the class of the West. Brandon Jacobs will help take some off the load of Gore and Manningham and Moss will be a godsend to Alex Smith and Vernon Davis. Their defense will be the same great defense as it was last year.

I just don't see what most people see with the Seahawks. I don't know how good Matt Flynn is going to be and I'm not going to go gaga over the few games in which I did see him play. Even with the addition of Owens, their receiving corps is average. Their defense was underrated last year and Lynch may be the most crucial player for Seattle this year.

It appears that Skelton may win the starting job over Kolb. Skelton had a good winning record last year but wasn't that great statistic-wise. I pretty much see Larry Fitzgerald and nothing else which isn't going to bode well for Arizona.

It's going to be another rough year for the Rams. I've always thought Steve Fisher was one of the most overrated coaches in the NFL but he will improve the Rams some this year. I'll pencil in Steven Jackson to win the rushing title because I see nothing from their receiving corps. Fisher will have a LOT of work to do with this team and I see them in the bottom of the barrel yet again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back