NFL 2010 Preview--AFC West

People's Champ

Bleeding Teal
With the NFL season approaching, its time to take a look at each division and examine each team to see where we think they stand. This will culminate when we make our predictions all the way up to the Super Bowl.

The order of teams listed are in order of my predicted finish.

AFC West

San Diego Chargers---2009 Record:13-3 (First in Division). 2010 Projected Record:10-6

Positives

1.Offense--This has been the strong point of the team and continues to be. Philip Rivers is one of the best passers in the league, with toughness and leadership unquestioned. He has his big weapons in 6'5" Vincent Jackson (suspended first 3 games), 6'5" Malcolm Floyd, and 6'4" Antonio Gates. That provides a big advantage. The offense should have no real trouble doing what its been doing and scoring points.

2.No L.T--A lot of people saw the handwriting on the wall. L.T hit that wall that all 39 year old running backs hit. He was given opportunity to show that he still had his ablilty to make cuts and hit the hole the way he used to. He obviously didn't have it so he was let go. It happens to all running backs and it was no different for the future first ballot hall of famer. They replace him with Ryan Mathews, the 12th pick out of Fresno State. He's a big physical runner who also has some speed to go along with it. He should easily replace the old LT. With the speedy Sproles, the running game should be revived.

Question Marks

1.Defense--Outside of Quentin Jammer's spot on the left side, the cornerback position is hurting. Cromartie played with such little effort last season that he won't be missed. Well except that he provided depth. Cason (former first rounder;couldn't keep his nickle job), Vasher (former Bear who has fallen hard), and journeyman Strickland will get a chance to play at that position. And the Chargers big guys on defense-Merriman and Castillo-are no longer what they once were. Injuries have really hampered these guys. Knee issues could derail what would have been a fantastic career. In fact, if not for the uncapped year, I'm sure he would have been allowed to leave. Without Jamal Willams clogging the middle at nose tackle, Castillo no longer attracts double teams. Willams replacement can do the job.

2.Toughness--I'm not talking about physical toughness, but rather mental toughness. This team, for the past 5 out of 6 years, have made the playoffs. What do they have to show for it? 0 Super Bowls. In fact they never been to the Super Bowl in those 5 years. Yet they continue to be favorites year in year out. Do they have what it takes to get over the mental hump and make it to the Super Bowl?

Overall Outlook--The Chargers are the superior team in the West and should have no real trouble winning the division. Their offense should be able to cover any shortcomings the defense has. They are poised once again to make another run, but actually making the run is another question.

Denver Broncos--2009 Record:8-8 (2nd in division) Projected 2010 Record:7-9

Positives

1.Defense--The defense was part of the collaspe of the Broncos last season. Their front 7 was subpar at best. They adressed the line in the offseason with some big moves. They signed nosetackle Jamal Willams (Chargers), defensive end Justin Bannan (Ravens) and defensive end Jarvis Green (Patriots). These should provide the line with the ability to stop the run and help take pressure off the linebackers, who had to try (and failed) and compensate for their weakness on the line. Of course, you add Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman (maybe the best CB duo in the NFL), and saftey Brian Dawkins in the secondary and the defense should be improved from last season.

2.Josh McDaniels--Now with a year under his belt, he continues to make adjustments to this team and put his stamp on it. He got rid of the zone blocking system that has produced 1,000 yard rushers every year. He got rid of Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler. He traded for Brady Quinn, and drafted Tim Tebow. He his making his mark on this team, and ridding anyone who doesn't buy in. He brings a new level of confidence from his time in New England and this could help his team. Or...........

Question Marks

1.Josh McDaniels--All of this could backfire. He has now traded his two big stars in his first 2 years on the job. He has Kyle Orton leading this offense, with no real big WR threat. He brought on Quinn, who hasn't exactly exceled at the position. And drafted a player in the first round who is seen to have a lot of work ahead of him, and some feel may never be able to play at the QB position in the NFL. A lot of gutsy moves by a first time head coach. And former Patriot assistants under Bellicheck don't have a very good track record. It remains to be seen how well he can do in Denver and if his gutsiness (new word?) Will pay off.

2.Defense--While they have upgraded at the position, is it good enough? The new linemen they signed are all over 30, and one (Willams) has had injury problems the past few seasons. The defense started hot last season, giving up only 10.1 points per game. However, they had a somewhat easy schedule and its much tougher early on. Will the defense be able to hold its own, at least the line and front 7, will be the key for the Broncos.

Overall Outlook--While the Broncos have made some improvements defensively, the fact is their offense is still led by Orton. I don't think he will be able to take care of the ball as he has been able to do pretty well in his career. No real threat on offense, and a unknown defense and I see them taking a small step back this year.

Oakland Raiders--2009 Record:5-11(3rd in division);Projected 2010 Record:6-10

Positives

1.Upgrade at QB--Easily the best upgrade this offseason. We all know the struggles of Russell so no need to dwell on that. Jason Campbell was traded from the Redskins to Oakland and is pretty much a lock (if it hasn't been announced already) to be the starter. In Washington, Campbell had to deal with learning a new system each year. He has a solid arm and is much more accurate than Russell.

2.Un-Raider-like Offseason--Yes it has been relatively quiet for the Raiders this offseason. Except for the whole "is Cable still the coach" thing that was going on, we haven't seen any issues. Russell was released before his whole arrest thing. They actually drafted where they had some need, and upgraded at a key position. No overhead projector is a positive for the Raiders.

Question Marks

1. Running Game--While the Raiders were able to escape one draft blunder, they still have another. Darren McFadden has been anything but what the Raiders were hoping they would get out of their first round draft pick. Since being picked 4th in the '08 draft, McFadden has become nothing more than a situational back who has delt with injuries. Not exactly what you want. Cable has said he wants a feature vack, but isn't likely to get his wish. Michael Bush is McFadden's only real competition, and he isn't that much better. Add in that the line has no real mobility-a key in Cable's zone-blocking scheme-and you get another failed attempt at running the ball.

2.Defense--The Raiders have one of the top tandem at CB in Nnamdi Asomugha and Chris Johnson. These are very good shut down corners who rarely get thrown to. And part of the reason is because of the poor run defense. Because the Raiders play man coverage, the corners are forced to run with the WRs, thus taking them out of the play. The Raiders did make some moves. They moved Rolando McClain from a 3-4 inside liinebacker position to a 4-3 Mike role. Defensive end-turned-strongside linebacker Trevor Scott is moving to the weakside. And they have added Kamerion Wimbley at strongside linebacker. Will these changes result in better run defense? That remains to be seen.

Overall Outlook--The Raiders have made some changes but overall still lack in skill. This patchwork coaching staff has an opportunity to make something happen this year. And I think they will get them out of this 11 loss-a-season, but not out of the double digits losing. The Raiders always seem to find a way to staay close in games and even pull some out.

Kansas City Chiefs--2009 Record:4-12 (Last in division);Projected 2010 Record:6-10

Positives

1.Coaching Staff--yes I said it, the coaching staff. Look at what head coach Todd Haley has for his staff.

-Offensive Coordinator-Charlie Weis
-Defensive Coordinator-Romeo Crennel
-Secondary-HoF DB Emmitt Thomas
-Linebackers-Gary Gibbs (Former Saints D-Coordinator)
-Offensive Line-Bill Muir (Coaching for 40 years)
-Assistant Head Coach and Running Backs-Maurice Carthon (Former Offensive Coordinator in Dallas, Detroit and Cleveland)

This staff is a bunch of guys who know what they are doing and can help a young team develop over time. Weis is an offensive genuis and focusing on just the offense can show that once more. Each of these guys are benefical to the team.

2.Running Backs--The Chiefs had a great 1-2 combo in the backfield. Start with Jamaal Charles. Its rare to see a back who can average 5.9 yards a carry by running strictly on the outside. But Charles is one of those backs and that because he possesses lateral agility with breakaway speed. He clearly is the featured back. But then add in Thomas Jones as his backup. He is the only other back (other than Steven Jackson) to have 5 straight 1,000 yard seasons. He is going to cause headache foe defenders and again, and strong backfield for the Chiefs.

Question Marks

1.Matt Cassel--Did you know that Cassel will be the 3rd highest paid QB this season? Surprising huh? The Chiefs have some weapons on offense besides the running backs. Chris Cambers can stretch the field outside. Dexter McCluster can make plays from the backfield and the slot. TE Leonard Pope is a big red zone target at 6'8" 264. So the pieces are there, can Cassel make the necessary plays? That is a big question that can't be answered until we see him on the field.

2.Defense--the question is not the secondary, as they seem ready to produce. Rather its the front 7. They recorded 22 sacks last year, 2nd lowest in the NFL. They don't have the players on the line to run an effective 3-4. Ron Edwards is is a good player, but is average at nose tackle, too average to command double teams. Their two ends, Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson lack size and strength to hold the point. And outside of OLB Tamba Hali, they have no real pass rusher. How Crennel develops this defense should be interesting to see.

Overall Outlook--This is a young team with an experienced coaching staff that can help them develop throughout the season. The defense is still a liability and there is questions if Cassel really is the future of this team. Despite that, I see this team improving this season.

AFC West Outlook--The Chargers should have no problem winning the division. They have the potential to make a run of it again. I don't see what's others see in the Broncos, and I see them taking a small step back this year. The Raiders and Chiefs both should be improved this year, but still have work ahead of them. With the other divisions stacked top to bottom, don't see anyone (well, the Broncos) getting a wildcard.

Thoughts, opinions and predicitions on the AFC West are welcome.

This is another division that is down to one team. This division is the Chargers to lose. Oakland will be improved defensively and offensively but that still wont be enough. They'll be improved though and I expect a better season than last years but they still have a while to go. Denver is going backwards, which bugs me because I am a closet Bronco fan. Denver went backwards when they got rid of Cutler and now Marshall. There defense will still be weak and their offense will be even weaker. Tim Tebow will be good but that will be there only positive. I expect like a 5 win season from them. Kansas City sucks and will probably win two games. So yeah this is San Diego's division to lose.

My projection

San Diego- 10 wins and 6 losses. They have the best all around team. Even without Jackson for 3 weeks

Oakland- 6 wins and 10 losses. They have the best defense in that division but there offense wont be able to stay on the field long enough

Denver 5 wins and 11 losses. They do have Tim Tebow?

Chiefs 2 wins and 14 losses. They have Charlie Weiss. That's a plus, right?

Wow, I think you guys are really underestimating Kansas City. Listen, they didn't have an offensive line last year to protect Matt Cassel, but they've put a lot of focus on getting the guy some protection this off season from all accounts. If Cassel can get time to throw the ball, I really do think he'll be a great quarterback in this league, especially with Weiss now there to call the plays, and with the WR core he has to throw the ball to. I'm not saying they'll be a playoff team this year, but I do see them finishing either 7-9 or 8-8. They're defense is what is going to keep them from being a true contender, but that offense has some serious potential to put up high numbers.

Denver... man, finishing the season so terribly last year, plus losing their most explosive offensive player during the off-season... I don't see how they win more than six games. Their defense will keep them in a lot of games for sure, but man... I just don't see that offense putting up a lot of points. Kyle Orton's a good quarterback, but he needs great wide receivers around him, and now he doesn't have that. Not to mention... there's no solid running game in Denver, either.

Oakland is Oakland... they'll suck again, no doubt.

And San Diego I think didn't take a blow at all this off-season. Phillip Rivers is still a top 5 best QB in the league, and he still has some very good receivers to throw to, plus a solid running game backing him up with Darren Sproles in the backfield. Not to mention San Diego has the same great defense they've had in the past 4 years or so. They easily take this division, and they compete with Indy to take the top spot in the AFC, period. Looking at the Chargers schedule... there's no way they lose more than 4 games. No way.

San Diego- They will not be as good as last year but they will still win the division. Ryan Mathews is obviously unproven and two of the Chargers best offensive players, Vincent Jackson, and Marcus Mcneil, are holding out. Jackson is suspended for the first 3 games anyways. Losing Jamal Williams on defense also hurt. Even with all of these changes this is probably a 10-6 team. Their defense is still solid and Phillip Rivers and Antonio Gates are enough by themselves on offense to win this division.

Denver- Their receivers suck, they have a fucked up qb situation and they lost their biggest offensive weapon in the off season. The defense looks good on paper but remember how they collapsed down the stretch last year. The Broncos are an average team but should still be good enough for second best in the division

Raiders- This is a team that could surprise some people. Jason Campbell is an underrated qb and is a huge upgrade at qb. Their defense is very good and should be even better this year as they won't be on the field as much. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders go something like 8-8 and have the second best record in the division.

Chiefs- They probably have the best coaches in the division but they will still be the bottom feeders of the division. I think they will have a great running game and Dexter McCluster will be exciting at receiver, and running back, and returning punts, and returning kicks, and probably out of a version of the wildcat. The passing game as a whole still needs work however and we'll see what Weiss can do with Cassell. The defense is what will hold them back as it is atrocious. They have some talent and getting Eric Berry plus Crenell coordinating will be an upgrade but they still have a lot of work to do.

Chargers- They will win the division again this year but who knows how good they'll be. The Chargers always start off slow and then win about the rest of their games. Adding Ryan Matthews was nice but they definitely need to sign Vincent Jackson. Prediction 11-5

Broncos- Interesting situation at QB they keep Kyle Orton yet for some reason they trade for Brady Quinn and draft Tim Tebow. Decent offense Knoshoun Moreno will be better in his second year. They have decent receivers in Eddie Royal and Demaryius Thomson although Thomson is a rookie and coming off foot surgery. No idea why they traded Tony Schefter? Prediction 8-8

Raiders- They will be better this year with the addition of Jason Campbell and they actually drafted well getting Rolando McClain. They have a decent backfield although Darren Mcfadden needs to show he was deserving of being drafted 4th overall. Prediction 7-9

Chiefs- I think this team may surprise alot of people this year it all depends on Matt Cassell though. They have three good running backs in Jamal Charles, Thomas Jones, and Dexter Mccluster. Ok receivers in Dwayne Bowe and Chris Chambers. Their defense should be better with the additions of Eric Berry(the next ed reed) and maybe Glen Dorsey becomes all he was hyped to be in his third year.
Prediction 7-9

I would highly be shocked if the Chargers didn't run away with this division by just over mid-way through the season. However, I'm going out on a limb (and Big Sexy is going to be the one who likely will notice this the most) and say Oakland is the one team who'll give them a run..

Oakland's Defense has never been the problem. It's always been the lack of an offense, that's been the problem. Well.. Jason Campbell is an upgrade over Russell, and his favorite target was a TE - hey, guess what, the one Offensive weapon thats big for Oakland; is their TE! Problem solved?

Oakland has a good group of RB's, and as long as they stay healthy they could have the best group of the division. (Sproles' will quickly learn that he isn't an every-down back) Oakland also has a nice core group of under-rated WRs that I believe could surprise a lot of people, especially in this division with the crappy Defense's KC & Denver have. Oakland, in my opinion, has the best defense of the division and as long as their offense doesn't throw games away.. this is a huge sleeper pick for a Wildcard/Division winning team.

I'm calling it now. Oakland wins the division and returns to the playoffs!

I would highly be shocked if the Chargers didn't run away with this division by just over mid-way through the season. However, I'm going out on a limb (and Big Sexy is going to be the one who likely will notice this the most) and say Oakland is the one team who'll give them a run..

Oakland's Defense has never been the problem. It's always been the lack of an offense, that's been the problem. Well.. Jason Campbell is an upgrade over Russell, and his favorite target was a TE - hey, guess what, the one Offensive weapon thats big for Oakland; is their TE! Problem solved?

Oakland has a good group of RB's, and as long as they stay healthy they could have the best group of the division. (Sproles' will quickly learn that he isn't an every-down back) Oakland also has a nice core group of under-rated WRs that I believe could surprise a lot of people, especially in this division with the crappy Defense's KC & Denver have. Oakland, in my opinion, has the best defense of the division and as long as their offense doesn't throw games away.. this is a huge sleeper pick for a Wildcard/Division winning team.

I'm calling it now. Oakland wins the division and returns to the playoffs!

I agree with most of this. They have a very good, underrated defense that should improve even more this year by not having to be on the field as much. And now on offense they finally have a reliable quarterback. I do not, however, think they will make the playoffs. This year I think 8-8 and second place in the division is a solid possibility but nothing more then that. The receivers on the team are still atrocious and the running backs are unproven. If they had more depth at the skilled positions then I'd say they could make a run at the playoffs but this year they do not have that depth.

The Raiders should improve this year, and I could see 7-9 but no more than that. This is still the Raiders we are talking about. Every Raider fan here in the Bay Area knows that this team will suck as long as Al Davis owns this team. There aren't many expectations for the Raiders. I think they can improve and surprise everyone and get out of double digit losing seasons. And hell, 7-9 could be good for 2nd in the division because I don't see anything in Denver. But I would go no futher than that.

San Diego is the most talented and favorite again, but that doesn't mean they'll run away with the division. It's not like they're the most consistent ever team ever or anything. Still, they have far and away the best QB in the division with Rivers and more than enough weapons on offense and defense to win the division. I'd be more confident if they weren't completely fucking ******ed with the whole Vincent Jackson thing.

Denver should be second in the division. Their D has improved from last year, they were a decent team, Orton is a capable QB. They should be alright this year, doubt they make the playoffs though.

Kansas City won't be great, maybe 5 or 6 wins? Cassel doesn't completely suck and Charles can do some work in the backfield. Another losing year though.

The Raiders have made some strides this offseason, but they're still the Raiders. Jason Campell is better than what they've had in the past, but he's still really average. An improved defense, I guess, but still, I have no confidence in the silver and black to do much of anything this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back