Nexus: Why didn't they...

ctln4rko

Pre-Show Stalwart
I had an opinion question- Why didn't WWE have Nexus seel the united states championship or intercontinental championship? Sure if they got the WWE title they would be dominant enough, but just odd that they only pursued the ta team and WWE championships.
Also, even though Nexus attacked Ziggler and someone at a PPV and "invaded" Smackdown when Smackdown moved to Syfy, but why did Nexus never really attack Smackdown? Thoughts?

Probably because then they would have too pay the nexus members for being on both brands. I mean they could have split them up but then...it wouldn't be a very intimidating group.

I had an opinion question- Why didn't WWE have Nexus seel the united states championship or intercontinental championship? Sure if they got the WWE title they would be dominant enough, but just odd that they only pursued the ta team and WWE championships.
Also, even though Nexus attacked Ziggler and someone at a PPV and "invaded" Smackdown when Smackdown moved to Syfy, but why did Nexus never really attack Smackdown? Thoughts?

If they pursued one of the smaller titles, the focus would have shifted from Barrett to someone else, and lets face it- who's interested in a Ziggler vs. Otunga feud?

The idea was to push Barrett and his quest for the WWE Title. Also, it's good that they didn't attack SD more, as that would take the focus off of the actual show and put it on Nexus, which could have a negative effect due to overexposure.

I think the WWE with the loss of Batista wanted them to push for Main Event status. Going for the U.S title (because IC is on SMD) is a mid card

Lol because the writers didn't tell them too :p

Stupid response either way, but this would've at least made sense if the OP had said "Why didn't Nexus" instead of "Why didn't the WWE have Nexus..."

Anyway, the WWE didn't have Nexus chase other titles because the group wasn't about titles. The only reason they won the tag team titles was because Cena was in the group and they wanted to further the Barrett/Otunga hostilities by Wade forcing Otunga to lay down.

They didn't attack Smackdown! because they were on the Raw brand, once they were all signed.

Because Nexus had no depth. Apart from Barrett and Gabriel, none of them can work anything close to a good match. And Barrett aside, they're absolutely horrendous in their promos. I think Nexus made the impact that they had to. Had a great lead-up till SummerSlam, then the only was for them to stay relevant was to be in a program with Cena.

Now with Punk in charge (and hopefully Barrett will join him and cut out some of the slack) things that you say may happen to some capacity.

Ziggler v. Otunga fued would have been epic............. hahaha (no)

I think that Nexus doesn't even need any championships at this point to be dominant. As long as they run the angle where these dudes are destroying everything in sight then they are pretty dominant. Shame WWE didn't play out the injury Cena suffered and attribute CM Punk and the Nexus destroying him on RAW (mind boggling).

Speaking of Nexus and being dominant, what does WWE see in David Otunga? This guy is horrible. Only player that I see that DOESN'T fit the nexus type.

now wuld be a perfect time for that. have punk go after wwe tittle and feud with cena then wade feud with bryan for the u.s. tittle gabriel and slater get back the tag tittles and all the tittles on raw are on nexus

Ziggler v. Otunga fued would have been epic............. hahaha (no)

I think that Nexus doesn't even need any championships at this point to be dominant. As long as they run the angle where these dudes are destroying everything in sight then they are pretty dominant. Shame WWE didn't play out the injury Cena suffered and attribute CM Punk and the Nexus destroying him on RAW (mind boggling).

I'm sure they will. Even though they acknowledged on the website he got injured Tuesday. They did the same thing when Kenderson injured him, they acknowledged he did it, but on raw the next week, suddenly it was Orton who did the deed

Because Nexus had no depth. Apart from Barrett and Gabriel, none of them can work anything close to a good match. And Barrett aside, they're absolutely horrendous in their promos. I think Nexus made the impact that they had to. Had a great lead-up till SummerSlam, then the only was for them to stay relevant was to be in a program with Cena.

Now with Punk in charge (and hopefully Barrett will join him and cut out some of the slack) things that you say may happen to some capacity.

This is the exact reason, usually when a big faction tries to take over they look to capture all the belts, but Nexus are all so green none of them are good enough to work a singles match, even Barrett has to be led by the hand.

No to mention they all got the rub from the Nexus vs Cena angle while the belts were been put to much better use getting Bryan and Ziggler over.

I already made a thread like this and i got an infraction for posting a duplicate topic so kudos if they dont shut this one down.

I don't know why they didn't. The way they had Nexus looking unstoppable there for a while, they could have easily taken every championship. Even recruited a diva to take the Diva's championship. IMO that would have been the coolest outcome, because then when Nexus finally did break up, they would have to vacate all the titles and we could see a whole mess of new champions.

which could have a negative effect due to overexposure.

...So, you're saying that the stars of the 90's suffered from overexposure?

Or seeing John Cena on Raw in some capacity at least 3 different times per episode isn't overexposure?

If they wanted to make a point and get back at WWE, while they "didn't have contracts" it would have only made sense to attack Smackdown. Right now it makes no sense, obviously, because they've basically been "branded" by Raw, but if they would have started before, it would have been pretty good.

I didn't see anybody complaining when Jericho was on both shows mouthing off during his reign with Jerishow...

I think the Nexus should have pursued the other WWE Titles. I would loved to have seen the following:

Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater with a longer Tag Title run.

Daniel Bryan to continue his United States Title run, as the Face in the Heel group, maybe even add Michael Tarver as a contender to the US Title as well.

Darren Young and Skip Sheffield could have been Intercontinental Title contenders / Champions.

David Otunga go after the World Heavyweight Championship to show a form of dissention toward Wade and his WWE Title chase / run and to try to be a “Co-Leader” with his own World Title.

Whose to say that they won't? As we saw on Raw, Nexus is as strong as ever, or so it would seem. Whose to say that Nexus won't BEGIN by having the focus being on getting over the other members of Nexus, which the first incarnation didn't do.

The first group of Nexus was all about Barrett, and his pursuit of the WWE championship. Sure, they got the tag titles, but those were used to further the Cena/Nexus storyline more then to actually make them seem powerful. Whose to say that under CM Punk's "new management", he won't make a concerted effort at first to help the other members obtain championships? I could easily see a scenario where Punk points out that when Barrett was in charge, it was all about Barrett and him winning the title. The "new" Nexus, according to Punk, could truly be about the "We are one" motto with all members on the same level.

But the reason that Nexus never won another championship was two-fold. They already dominated enough of the show that having them focus on the mid-card as well would have been even more exposure then they were given already. Quite simply, noone in the group was ready for that exposure.

The other reason was that the group was about Wade Barrett and his sidekicks. Other then backstage segments, noone was given mic time. Other then beatdowns and the occasional elimination match, in-ring time was scarce. The focus of the group was Wade Barrett, and another member gaining success in a single's career would have taken some of the focus off of Barrett, who creative truly saw as the breakout star of the group. If things hadnt gone down the way they did, Barrett may not have become the main eventer he is now. And that would have been a bad thing.

I think a feud with one of Nexus with Bryan would have been great. Whether a member of Nexus was able to dethrone him or not, there would have been major back story there and could have been a pretty intense feud.

I still don't get why they didn't have Bryan involved with the Nexus angle. I do think WWE has done a great job with him so far, but I think he would have been more in the spotlight if he was somehow involved with the angle they had with Cena. When Cena would look for a partner or whatever to face them, it should have been a natural move for Bryan to continue to want to see Barrett/Nexus get what's coming to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back