News Story of the Year

What is the News Story of the Year for 2011?

• Jeff Hardy's Debacle

• Punk Is Champion With No Contract

• Matt Hardy's Downward Spiral

• Edge Has To Retire

• Randy Savage's Death

• Rock Returns

• Scott Hall's Downward Spiral

Results are only viewable after voting.
I voted for the Punk is Champion with No Contract option. Rock's return was great and it helped the buyrate for WrestleMania. But the Punk story got nuts there for a few weeks before and after Money in the Bank. Everything was up in the air at that time, outside media outlets were talking about it, and you never knew where things were going from moment to moment. This year will be remembered as the year that a wrestler took advantage of their current wrestling environment and rose in popularity as a result. CM Punk did exactly that this year, and the roller coaster was a fun few weeks.

Randy Savage's death seemed to shake everyone on here. I've never seen so many tribute signatures.

His passing also introduced me to his brilliance, so there's that too.

While most of these had a lot of attention put on them, the Punk story this year, from shoot to return, was the biggest thing to me. It seemed like the most talked about of all these among the IWC, though something like Rock's return or Savage's death surely got more mainstream coverage. But, I don't measure things like this based on what non-wrestling fans think, so I voted Punk.

Savage's death, easily.

Randy Savage's death did gain a good amount of mainstream press, and The Macho Man was one of the true legends of professional wrestling. We've seen so many tragic and untimely wrestler deaths over the years, and some legacies are put on a higher pedestal, because we always wonder "what could've been." But this wasn't the case with Savage. Savage was one of the all-time greats. There's no denying that, his career was filled with great matches and memorable moments, and a black cloud of controversy didn't overshadow his unexpected death.

I don't care about what people think of this statement but I'm making it anyway...

People who don't vote for Randy Savage's death do not respect the history of this business enough. He was a superstar, a pioneer, and everything that defines the professional wrestling business. After all he did for the business, the man will never have the chance to accept his well-deserved Hall of Fame induction ring and open up his heart to all of us. He'll never lace up his boots again. But his memory will live on and he will continue to influence the majority of pro-wrestlers that entertain us today and in the future.

His death was a complete shock and it was a disgrace that his life ended so tragically.

Out of respect for his contributions, everyone should vote for Savage.

There is no way that kayfabe storylines should come within a country mile of beating a true life tragedy. Neither should self destructions.

This came down to two stories for me, poor Edge being forced into retirement for the sacrifices he has made for the industry and the untimely death of Randy 'Macho Man' Savage and, in the end, Savage won out for me because I know that we will never see him again.

Voted for Jeff Hardy's Debacle mainly because everyone was in uproar about it and still can't believe it happened months afterwards. Savage's tragic passing and Edge's untimely retirement were dark stories and ultimately very sad, I choose not to vote for them as the news story of the year because of how sad they were, especially as tragic as Savage's passing was. We all heard the news about but didn't really want to discuss it out of how horrible the news was. Tragic happenings should not be labelled "news story of the year.

What the fuck is a news story? As far as I can tell most of these are just events, many of which were broken to us on television. WWE basically told us that Punk had no contract when he left MitB, whether you believed it or not was up to you. The WWE told us Edge had to retire on live TV. The Rock returned was live TV as well.

I voted Randy Savage's death. It was a total shock, and he made the news a few other times this year, but it was all good news, like how he got married. It was shocking and depressing to hear the news, as the wrestling world lost one of its all time greats. No other real news story elicited any sort of strong emotion from me, so I can't imagine voting any other way.

This came down to Edge's retirement, and Savage's death. The fact that one of the all-time greats was forced to retire, with little-to-no warning, on an episode of Raw no less, right after WrestleMania...I just couldn't believe it. I thought for sure it was an angle, and the Smackdown celebration almost brought me to tears... It was just such an unbelievable moment, but not as much as the Macho Man's passing. For some, the greatest of all time. For everyone, an inspiration and measuring stick of the industry. RIP brother! Ooooooh Yeeeeaaaah!

Once the dust had settled and what have you, Edge's retirement wasn't quite as shocking as one may first believe. It was shocking and quite a news story, but he had been talking about retirement for awhile now. Not in the way he did go out, but he was retiring soonish regardless.

Randy Savage was not a guy I grew up with or someone who I can say was a constant source of inspiration. He wrestled amazing matches and was a HUGE character in WWE history. His death was so sad and a shock to all, and I shouldn't, and won't discredit anyone for voting him as the News Story of the Year.

I voted for The Rock because of money. The Rock's in-ring return did luke-warm business at the box office recently, but he sold WrestleMania out in Atlanta and sold PPV's like no man has done this year. His return to wrestling after seven years was a shock, it was a money grabber and it's leading to one of the biggest matches of the last decade.

Savage's death was the biggest story of the year for the pro wrestling community, but I think the summer of Punk actually got as big if not bigger exposure in the media making CM Punk's contract situation in WWE actual news. Which hasn't happened in pro wrestling in a long time unless a wrestler dies or kills someone. Randy Savage's death and The Rock returning did get a huge attention in the community, but I'm going Punk's contract status as the story of the year simply because ESPN and other outlets gave it exposure.

Not saying that Punk's story is bigger than one of the greatest wrestling icons to ever live passing away, but we haven't seen exposure like this for pro wrestling unless involves something negative

It is Randy Savage, and not even close. We all experience death sometime in our lives, but that doesn't make it any easier when someone that you love and respect leaves this planet forever. We were all shocked and saddened by his death, and it was all I could read about on these forums for weeks afterwards. Randy was a true legend in the business. RIP man, RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back