News Story of the Year

Discussion in '2010 Wrestling Awards' started by klunderbunker, Dec 1, 2010.

?

News Story of the Year

1. Batista Leaves WWE

2. Shawn Michaels Retires

3. TNA Goes To Mondays/TNA Goes Back To Thursdays

4. Daniel Bryan Danielson is Released/Returns

5. Danielson to WWE

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

BREAKING NEWS: THERE AREN'T MANY OPTIONS!

2. Wade's Public Transit Bomb

Wade's Public Transit Bomb Championship Contender

The TNA flop takes the cake. It was so embarrassing for everyone involved.

3. RVDgurl

RVDgurl Mrs. Danielson

I'm just in love with the fact that Bryan Danielson accounts for not 1 but 2 options! :)

Danielson to the WWE was the most heartbreaking story, as I may have gotten a bit misty eyed at his fairwell match in Philly. But his abrupt firing and then the shocking rehire was most definately the story of the year. That was some crazy shit.

4. D-Man

D-Man Gone but never forgotten.

It's got to be TNA's moves.

Guys, a promotion trying to do a head-to-head battle with the big dog is a MUCH bigger story than a wrestler getting fired and rehired. TNA was the talk of the town for the past few years and for them to do battle with the WWE on Monday Nights was groundbreaking. Then, once they got their asses kicked and moved back, we all laughed, but it was still just as big of a story.

5. Hulk Hogan's Brother

Hulk Hogan's Brother Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!

HBK retiring wins this one for me. I never expected this to happen.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion

Have to go with my nomination, the TNA changing show dates. Why? Simply because the beginning of 2010 saw that TNA tried to get some balls and take on the WWE by going against Raw. Within a month, they got shifted back to Thursday because Spike saw this was a total failure, all the efforts that TNA tried to do to compete were undone and showed they bit off more than they can chew, undoing their momentum they tried to gather.

Much like D-Man said, while stuff regarding HBK and DB was big, we're comparing two companies going head to head to personal taste, use your heads here guys.

7. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost What they f*ck happened in the thread section here

DBD all the way. I marked out reading the spoilers here. Amazing stuff. The whole saga was just surreal and the backlash here on WZF......PRICELESS!

Then the whole return is kept super-hush hush and by god, it was a fantastic moment.

8. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

I told you people already: DBD to WWE was last year's news!

9. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Bulletproof Tiger

It was shocking to hear that Danielson was released and then to see him make his surprise debut with WWE at Summerslam only 2 months later. The News story of the year should be TNA going head to head on Monday nights against Raw. No company has attempted this since WCW over a decade ago. This was huge news at the time. Then Impact shortly went from live Mondays to taped Thursdays again.

I'm sorry but two of the biggest wrestling companies going head to head against each other on Monday nights for the first time ever is bigger news than a new WWE wrestler that was hired, fired, and then rehired in a matter of months.

10. DiscipleofWrestling

DiscipleofWrestling Getting Noticed By Management

Shawn Michaels retiring (and staying retired) wins this for me by a landslide. This was such a major story because I honestly believed that Shawn Michaels would kill the streak. It just seemed the way WWE was building the feud, and it caught me off guard to read that Shawn lost against Undertaker again. Shawn's career came to an end, and he actually lived up to the retirement in an age where Ric Flair can't stop wrestling. This speaks volumes about the man, that he retired and stayed retired. Shawn had left the company before due to that back injury in 1998. This time, however, he was actually able to leave the business on his own terms instead of being injured or fired. Plus he got to main event one final WrestleMania. You couldn't ask for a better way to go out.

11. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

Purely for the absolute column and forum inches it got, it has to be TNA to Mondays and back again. In reality it was two great stories. Firstly TNA threw everything at WWE to try and get a Monday Night War, and then they admitted defeat, something that rarely happens in wrestling. Michaels retiring was huge, but it wasn't really news, most people have seen that one coming for a while.

12. GIMH

GIMH Lifelong Jerichoholic

The Daniel Bryan thing attracted the most comments and posts around the web from what I could see.

I'm still convinced it was a work, but it'll do.

Also, didn't he sign for the E in 09?

13. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

Has to be the TNA thing. Maybe the biggest thing I have seen on this forum in all my days, as far as buzz and anticipation, and I totally mean that.

My, how far we have fallen since.

14. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

I think you even liked TNA for, like, a fortnight or something. What a scoop!

15. Macca

Macca The Sunflower Samurai

Daniel Bryan getting the chop.

I think we all figured at some point TNA would make some sort of challenge to the WWE on their Monday night slot (granted, nobody saw Hogan being a part of it).

However, that period from the surprising NXT attack to the future endeavoring that everyone thought was a work to the universal outrage that came when it became clear it was a shoot.

This whole issue turned Bryan into a star, and something this big was kept between a handful of people in this day and age makes this the news story of the year.

16. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

I fondly remember the days when TNA was on Monday's at the beginning of the year and it wasn't really that shit. Nothing was really ever going to come out of it, but still, it was an exciting time. RVD's debut and his title win were likely the highlights of the whole thing.

DBD isn't a bad choice either, he never is.

17. El Rev sXe

El Rev sXe If you have ghosts...

Danielson coming back, MTFO as one crazy fuck!!! I was sp happy with WWE doing that. Finally he was on the big leagues!!

18. Judah's Lion

Judah's Lion the Icon

tough call. the move to monday nights by TNA was actually a bit expected. as was the epic fail of it all and the move back to taped thursday nights. at least it just seemed kinda predictable. still a huge story. i freely admit that.

i'm gonna have to go with HBK retiring. it wasn't totally unpredictable. but the build up and the pay off was bigger and better.

therefore, i'm gonna give the nod to HBK over TNA.

19. Y2JChrisJericho

Y2JChrisJericho Pre-Show Stalwart

Michaels retiring, because unlike MOST wrestlers, he actually quit (Him and JBL are the only ones I've seen who kept with it).

I want to see HBK back in the WWE more than anything, and it makes me feel like I took his time here for granted. I honestly thought Undertaker would win at Wrestlemania, but they'll still bring Michaels back, just like WWE always finds a way to do something like that. The match was so unpredictable too, because if HBK beat Taker, it would be legit to me. I don't like the idea of giving a young guy the chance to beat Taker's streak, I rather have someone who is legit and is arguably the best wrestler ever do it. Seems more realistic.

Anyways, Michaels returnng was the news story of the year, as it was the most talked about as well. People care more about HBK leaving, than Bryan returning.

20. Stephen11

Stephen11 Pre-Show Stalwart

TNA's flip-flopping was an interesting story but it just showed how bad TNA is and it doesn't actually compare with RAW.

Danielson's release was definitely one of the biggest news story of the year. Everyone was thinking 'WTF WWE?!' and it certainly jump-started the Nexus angle.

21. TJ Matics

TJ Matics It was never the same.

TNA FLOPS: Poor TNA, P-Poor TNA, literally, how sad, how hilariously sad. This was just plain embarrassing, and was certainly the talk of the town, in this case forum.