• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New South Park v/s Old South Park

• Thread starter Conor *Charmismo*
  • Start date
C

Conor *Charmismo*

Am I The Only One That Hates The New Series Of South Park?

To me, it feels all the episodes are the same. I really dislike the new writing, it just feels like they are trying to mention Pop Culture in every single episode.

When i watch old classics (like Charlie Mason Christmas, and The Rainforest and The Butter Show) and compare to the new episodes (Like the one about head lice, and that horribly lame Hilliray Clinton Vagina thing) i just get annoyed how bad the show has got.

Well to me anyway, i'm sure there are people who have only ever watched this series and probably love it, but honestly there are so many better episodes in the vault it's unreal.

Anyone feeling this?

I think it depends on how intelligent you are. Personally I watch some of the season one South Park stuff and I really cringe at it, it really is humor for 14 year olds that have never heard the word fuck before. I'll agree these days South Park do go overboard with the Pop Culture references but for the most part its pretty damn funny. Personally I thought the Snuke episode was quite possibly the best ever South Park Episode done, but then I'm a massive 24 fan so I got alot of the humor in it.

On the Flip side though, there are some amazing episodes that haven't had to include the random pop culture references... The Butters Show (as you mentioned), Scott Tenorman must Die, Cartman Land etc... I think they need to try and find a good mix between the two. Shows change over time though, The Simpsons used to be amazing but these days I can barely sit through an episode, and if I do it's rare that I actually laugh.

I feel the opposite. I never really found the old South Park that interesting. Occasionally, there was an odd gem but I never really found it that interesting and rarely laughed until recently. The show right now is so controversial and isn't afraid to touch anything, it's just so on the edge that I find completely fucking hilarious. To be fair though, the writers just use the characters to do their own social commentary now but I think that's what's so great.

So, in my opinion, the best series of South Park is the most recent. It's what I like to call the "Anti-Simpsons effect." The Simpsons has got worse. Much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much worse.

I feel the opposite. I never really found the old South Park that interesting. Occasionally, there was an odd gem but I never really found it that interesting and rarely laughed until recently. The show right now is so controversial and isn't afraid to touch anything, it's just so on the edge that I find completely fucking hilarious. To be fair though, the writers just use the characters to do their own social commentary now but I think that's what's so great.

So, in my opinion, the best series of South Park is the most recent. It's what I like to call the "Anti-Simpsons effect." The Simpsons has got worse. Much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much worse.

Oh yeah the simpsons has got a ton worse, i'll agree with that. It's sad really as it was at one point the best thing on TV now it's a shadow of it's self.

With South Park, don't you ever get tired of the whole controversial thing? It gets too much at times it's like they push it so far with no real point.

I mean it's not the first time South Park have been controverisal, their first season is great:

First Season:

. Grandpa tries to get Kyle to help him, kill himself.
. Cartman gets a anal probe by the aliens.
. Starvin marvin - a complete stereotype on Ethiopians.
. Carton's mum gave birth to him and produced him with her sperm (lol)

It's just the fact that it is popular now that they are getting into trouble more.

Meh, don't get me wrong i still enjoy it and watch it from time to time. It's just i don't feel the same feeling i used to get when i watched it.

I guess it's like your fav. band suddenly becoming popular with your friends and making songs that work on the radio. You still like them but it's not the same.

Oh well, i respect your opinion obviously :D

Ok, my two cents. I find the merit in both.

The older episodes I sort of relate to a 16 year boy old getting to 2nd base. Original South Park pushed the envelope a bit and did some risky dialouge. They took on long standing political issues like Euthanasia and the Family Dynamic. The show was discovering what it could do and how far it could go, like that 16 year old finding out what a female breast felt like. Well, bravo.

The the movie came out. The 16-year old just got laid.

Everything changed progressively then, and now the show is enragingly political and really hits hard with the adolescent dynamic. It takes on current issues and never apologizes. How f'ed up was the episode with Ike sleeping with his Kindergarten teacher featuring Cartman as "Dog - The Hallway Monitor." The World of Warcraft episode was genius. They tackle everything from bullying in schools to religious tolerance (Scientology, anybody?) to anti-semitism.

Ok, my two cents. I find the merit in both.

The older episodes I sort of relate to a 16 year boy old getting to 2nd base. Original South Park pushed the envelope a bit and did some risky dialouge. They took on long standing political issues like Euthanasia and the Family Dynamic. The show was discovering what it could do and how far it could go, like that 16 year old finding out what a female breast felt like. Well, bravo.

The the movie came out. The 16-year old just got laid.

Everything changed progressively then, and now the show is enragingly political and really hits hard with the adolescent dynamic. It takes on current issues and never apologizes. How f'ed up was the episode with Ike sleeping with his Kindergarten teacher featuring Cartman as "Dog - The Hallway Monitor." The World of Warcraft episode was genius. They tackle everything from bullying in schools to religious tolerance (Scientology, anybody?) to anti-semitism.

Haha yeah that episode was really f'ed up.

I'll agree the warcraft episode was genius. Totaly what the show needed, they needed a 'big' episode everyone would talk about. And luckily for them they realized there target market uses the Internet and they made the obvious links and made a great episode.

On a side note, just this morning i was watching the episode "Korn's grooving pirate mystery". God that's so funny, i love that korn did that.

But if Korn did that episode today i reckon it would be huge, all over youtube -tunes myspace. Just i guess the show has reached global status after staying at cult status for a while.

To me i think souht park has always been funny from season 1 to season 11 and to me it is on of the smartest shows on tv but i just hate one thing in season 11...the animation i mean come on its just to high tech and stuff unlike season 1 that was all just construction paper but i reckon alot of people would enjoy it more if it was just back to construction paper.

I don't think south park has gotten worse in general, but they've just had more bleh episodes then the old days. Like I didn't like the snuke or the imaginationland episodes, but the world of warcraft and trapped in the closet episodes were GENIUS!

I still watch South Park just because I'm a loyal fan. I gotta agree with some of the things you guys said earlier, it was just so much funnier seven, eight years ago when I was probably too young to even be watching it. But even as a youngster I could pick up on the genius, the valid social commentary that the show used to offer. Now the show is a mockery of itself. It still has its moments, undoubtedly, and it is still one of the smartest and most bold shows on TV, but I don't think it is at the quality now where it was during its first seven or eight seasons. There have certainly been some classics from the last few seasons of the show, but they are few and far between. The episodes where they take an issue/circumstance in pop culture and kick it up a notch with their own twist are now hit and miss...for every "Trapped in the Closet" there's been an "A Million Little Fibers" and the Jesse Jackson episode. It's sad to watch sometimes. I used to go to bat for the show when my friends would argue that Family Guy was better than South Park. Now, I feel like I don't even have a case.

And as far as The Simpsons goes, I don't think the best episodes of South Park are on the level of The Simpsons. Even now, although The Simpsons is like the ferris wheel at a carnival (it's old and not as much fun as it used to be, but you know it'll be back next year), I don't think that show has fallen off as bad as South Park has.

South Park is the same as it always has been: VERY hit or miss. Once in awhile you get an episode like Warcraft which is so brilliant it's scary, but you'll also get one like lice capades, which i fel asleep watching not once but twice. You have to take the good with the bad with South Park, and every once in awhile you get an absolute classic like the Imaginationland trilogy. To ahve a show like that with a plot so outlandish that it could only happen in South park, yet to keep the rivalry with Cartman and kyle going throughout the entire episodes is absolutely brilliant. South Park is still as great as ever, but I do wonder when they'll hit 5th grade.

Really, you fell asleep during Lice Capades? I thought that was the best episode of the season, easily. F'n hilarious.

South Park is very different now then it once was. Just go back and watch an episode from the first 3 seasons, then watch an episode from the last 3 seasons. The first seasons were all about the comedy of outrageousness; now it's all about political and current event humor.

Both hilarious IMO. I could never choose between them.

And they'll never hit the 5th grade. Just like Bart Simpson should be in his 30s by now.

Absolutely they're both hilarious. The show is an absolute classic and to me by far and away the best animated show in a long time, even better than simpsons, which to be honest I've never seen all of the appeal of. I found a site with all of the episodes of south park on it and you're right about how it's changed dramatically. Both are indeed hilarious, with stuff such as having the terrance and phillip episode instead of finishing the cliffhanger, as compared to the 9/11 conspiracy episode. Yeah I fell asleep during lice capades. I didn't see the point in it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back