• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NCAA Tournament Thread

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
The field of 68 for the NCAA tournament was announced earlier tonight. Come in here to discuss snubs, the seeding, the regions, who you have as your dark horse, who you have as your eventual winner, or whatever else concerning the tourney.

As far as biggest snub goes that is easily Colorado. They won 6 games against the top 50 teams including 3 wins over Kansas State, a win over Missouri, and a win over Texas. They had a rough patch in the season where they struggled but overall their resume was more then enough to get them in. UAB being in the tournament is a travesty. They only had ONE win over a tournament team and that was over VCU who is the other team that should not have made the tournament. Teams like Colorado, Va Tech, Alabama, and even Harvard should have easily gotten in over UAB and VCU.

As far as the tournament goes it is one of the more difficult ones to predict in recent memory. I have my final four as Duke, North Carolina, Pitt, and Notre Dame with Duke beating Pitt in the finals. However, I am not confident with those picks at all. There are so many different scenarios and upsets that I can picture.

My dark horse is 7th seeded Washington. After a fairly high pre season ranking they struggled at times but finished strong. They have the talent to play with anybody and could give UNC a lot of trouble in round 2. If they get past North Carolina then I could definitely see them in the final four.

It is an interesting bracket for sure. I am not too comfortable with my picks either. There is lots of potential for teams I picked to go to the final four to be upset early. My final four: OSU/UConn and Purdue/Pitt with a Big Ten final of OSU over Purdue.

My dark horse would be #6 St. Johns. I could see them making it the sweet sixteen and giving that team a tough time.

While I was 100% sure that after beating Illinois in the Big Ten tournament that Michigan would be in the NCAA tournament, I did not expect an 8 seed. I was expecting a 10 or 11 seed, so an 8 seed is a nice surprise. I am also surprised that the Big Ten is sending 7 teams. I was thinking 4 or 5 maximum. Another nice surprise. The NCAA selection committee showed the Big Ten a lot of love.

I have a few surprises in my bracket, although my final four I'm very shaky with.

In the first round I have 5 double digit seeds advancing - Marquette (#11), Richmond (#12), Michigan St. and Penn St. (#10), and Oakland (#13). Yes, I think the Summit League Champion Grizzlies will pull off the first real shocker of the tournament by bouncing a team that some have going to the final four in Texas. Keith Benson will give them problems down low, Texas has been slumping lately (4-4 I think to end the season), Oakland has been here before (2nd straight year making it), and they've had experience against tournament teams all year (such as Tennessee (who they beat), MSU (who they lost to by one), Purdue, West Virginia, Ohio State, Michigan).

As far as getting to the Sweet 16, I have two of those double digit teams making it, Richmond and Michigan State. Call me a homer, but State does have the experience and point guard play to make it to the second weekend. However, the end of the line will be drawn for both of them after that, with Richmond losing to Kansas and State losing to St. Johns.

I have chalk for 3 of the 4 elite 8's (with it being OSU/UNC, Duke/SDSU, and Kansas/Purdue) but in the Southeast I have St. Johns/Kansas State in the final. St. Johns benefits from drawing MSU in the Sweet 16 and a BYU team that's been less-then-stellar in the round of 32, but Kansas State has been playing better as of late and I see Jacob Pullen willing them to another late run, including an upset over #1 seed Pitt.

As for my final four, I have UNC out of the East (because I love when they attack the rim with Zeller and Henson and Harrison Barnes has caught fire lately), Kansas out of the Southwest (as I see them being as the most complete team), St. Johns out of the Southeast (Dwight Hardy leads a senior heavy team and the Storm have had big wins over good teams all year) and SDSU out of the west (my least confident pick, due to their lack of tough games in the regular season. But their defense is solid and Kawhi Leonard could do some damage).

As far as the finals, I have Kansas versus SDSU. Kindof random, I know, and I don't have great analysis as to why I have SDSU going to the championship game, but It's one of those teams I have a feeling about. Despite their far run, I see Kansas winning their 2nd title in 4 years, with one of the Morris twins being named MOP.

Am I confident with these picks? Not really. But it's the tournament. Everythings up in the air. I just hope we see a great tournament, since the field is wide open this year.

As for snubs Bama did have an RPI of 80, but they won their division in the SEC,most undeserving team if you ask me is USC 19-13 and 69th RPI. People can plead VA Tech's case all they want, but 2 losses to VA, losses to Clemson, Miami and BC will do you in every time. I'm kinda glad they didn't get in just because watching the Duke VTECH game, Dickie V kept bitching about VTECH being robbed last year and after the game he shook coach Greenberg's hand insuring him that beating Duke would get him in, well suck it Vitale get off the ACC's nuts, I live in NC and I get really sick of listening to all the jackasses down here tell me why the ACC is better than the Big 12, Big East and Big 10.

As for predictions, I agree about Washington as a dark horse, only thing is they have to go all the way to Charlotte and play Carolina in what is basically a home game for the Heels, anyone whose been to Charlotte knows that a good chunk of the population is white trash Carolina Alumnus so they will be out in full force. I have 1st round upsets by Oakland, Utah St, MSU and Missouri.
In the East I have Xavier taking out Syracuse and UNC, Kendall Marshall looked very much like a freshmen in the Acc tournament, if Carolina can't find some good guard play they'll be going home early. Xavier has the size to compete, and they are pretty experienced, if Carolina gets by them I don't see them being able to beat OSU in the Regional final.
West, this is a tough one because its hard to bet against Arizona and SDSU playing in Anaheim, I haven't seen enough of SDSU to make a choice so I'll be watching some of their games today, but I went with my gut and put UConn advancing past Duke to the final four. Upsets I have here Mizzou over Cincy and Oakland over Texas.
Southwest, this seems to be the toughest bracket by far. Any of the top 4 seeds would be legit final four picks, I went with Purdue beating ND due to their relentless D, but went with Kansas to come out on top.
Southeast, this is the cupcake bracket IMO, upsets of Utah St. over KSt., and St John's over BYU. One thing about this bracket, yes Wisconsin lost early in the Big 10 tourney but I still think their more of a 2 seed than Fla or BYU. Anyway I'm not to sure about this region pretty much guessing, got Wisc. advancing because of the defense, with teams like Wisconsin and Purdue alot rides on how the game is officiated because what I call tough D other people might call mugging. Don't completely count out MSU, they got some vets and a very tough Point guard, plus never count out Izzo in March. I'm not really sure about my pick here because Wisc. rarely plays well away from home, but in this bracket I just don't know.
Final four I got Uconn squeaking by OSU to get beat in the final by KU. I'm sure I'll make a few adjustments during the week but thats what I got right off the bat.

As far as biggest snub goes that is easily Colorado. They won 6 games against the top 50 teams including 3 wins over Kansas State, a win over Missouri, and a win over Texas. They had a rough patch in the season where they struggled but overall their resume was more then enough to get them in. UAB being in the tournament is a travesty. They only had ONE win over a tournament team and that was over VCU who is the other team that should not have made the tournament. Teams like Colorado, Va Tech, Alabama, and even Harvard should have easily gotten in over UAB and VCU.

This, times one million.

The selection committee must have been partying with Charlie Sheen when they made the decision to place UAB and VCU in over Colorado. Gene Smith's excuse of "there were a lot of factors" is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've heard since E. Gordon Gee and Jim Delany started talking. Oh, and what do you know, he's with Ohio State, too. Makes perfect fucking sense.

Actually, there's actually some potential by-law violations with selection criteria.

Bylaw 31.3.3 restricts championship selection criteria to win-loss record, strength of schedule, and availability of student-athletes. The Championship/Sports Management Cabinet must approve any additional selection criteria.

Simply put, it's against NCAA rules for 10 different people to walk in to a room with 10 different ideas on how to fill the bracket.

RPI, head to head, common opponents, and non-conference strength of schedule, last 8, and results against teams already in the field are not currently approved selection criteria according to the Men's Basketball Handbook.

There hasn't been any additional approvals to the selection committee criteria, other than the ones mentioned in Bylaw 31.3.3 since September of 2008.

"A lot of different factors" is a direct violation of the NCAA's own regulations and Bylaws.

UCONN is going to be a tough team to beat this March, but I'm not completely sold on them yet. Kemba Walker has been dynamite and will definitely lead the Huskies to a nice run, at least I think he will. Unfortunately they drew a tough bracket since they will have to get through a very solid Duke team and a very tough San Diego team. That should be an exciting bracket.

I think my favorite to win it all right now is Kansas, but I hope not. Notre Dame and Purdue both got a poor draw since they have to get through each other just to face Kansas in the Elite 8. That is of course as long as they all can get that far. If so I just feel like a game between Purdue and Notre Dame will wear the winner out and hurt them a lot if they face Kansas. This bracket will be interesting to watch as well.

Man, I cannot wait for this thing to kick off tomorrow. Hopefully Clemson wins there 1st round game because I think they will be an incredibly tough game for anyone in the entire tournament. While I don't think they will win, they will certainly make for some fun games if they get through round 1.

You mean that Clemson team that probably shouldn't even be in the tournament at ALL? Yeah, I sure hope they win:rolleyes:

I think that Ohio St. is probably the team to beat right now. I know there's a lot of hype surrounding Kansas, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are going to lose to an unexpected opponent. I'm just not sold on Kansas. I wish I could say that my Blue Devils are going to repeat, but unless Kyrie comes back in an unexpected announcement, I think that they will make it no further than the Elite 8.

Hey man, I didn't say anything about them deserving to be in the tournament. I just think they will be a tough team. I am of course basing this off of what I saw in the UNC game which is probably clouding my judgment but from what I saw from them in that game I was impressed. And, I am not pulling for them to win the whole tournament, just a game or two. If I am going to be a biased basketball fan then I will be supporting Notre Dame and Purdue through this entire tournament, unfortunately there is no way they can play each other for the title, not that either of them would make it that far anyways.

Clemson deserved to be in the tournament. VCU and UAB were the only teams who didn't. Colorado should have been in over Clemson and maybe Alabama but Clemson is definitely a top 68 team.

Clemson deserved to be in the tournament. VCU and UAB were the only teams who didn't. Colorado should have been in over Clemson and maybe Alabama but Clemson is definitely a top 68 team.

Let me rephrase, Clemson, in my opinion, should not be in the tournament over Colorado, Harvard, or Alabama.

Let me rephrase, Clemson, in my opinion, should not be in the tournament over Colorado, Harvard, or Alabama.

I like Harvard and thought they should have been in over VCU and UAB but not Clemson. The only really legitimate teams they beat were Colorado and Princeton and they were only 1-2 against Princeton. They lost to George Mason by 13, UConn by 29, and they lost to Michigan.

I like Harvard and thought they should have been in over VCU and UAB but not Clemson. The only really legitimate teams they beat were Colorado and Princeton and they were only 1-2 against Princeton. They lost to George Mason by 13, UConn by 29, and they lost to Michigan.

They had quality wins over Boston College and Boston in there as well. Still, I'd have put Colorado over Clemson, Alabama, probably. I guess you could remove a couple of teams and leave Clemson, but I'm just looking at it from a "teams that got left out" perspective rather than a "teams that probably deserved their bid" perspective.

That being said, though. The way that were are looking at it is, technically, a Bylaw violation.

Well, UAB did absolutely nothing to prove they belonged as Clemson blew them out and the game was never in doubt. Clemson looked very good and showed that they won't be an easy first round rout. West Virginia better not take them lightly. Hopefully this shows the committee that you can't just pick a random mid major team out of your ass and expect them to play well.

I was just filling out my brackets and ended up with Ohio St. against UCONN in the final four and Purdue against Wisconsin as well and having OSU knock off Wisconsin.

Well, UAB did absolutely nothing to prove they belonged as Clemson blew them out and the game was never in doubt. Clemson looked very good and showed that they won't be an easy first round rout. West Virginia better not take them lightly. Hopefully this shows the committee that you can't just pick a random mid major team out of your ass and expect them to play well.

One can't seriously help but think that, JUST PERHAPS, the committee accidentally put the wrong Alabama down when they were filling out the bracket.

2h6r62a.png

Going back to the UAB and VCU debate. I don't understand why they are there. Va Tech and Colorado deserved to be in. However Colorado played a soft OOC and Va Tech just lost to some other bubble teams. Another team I hear is Bama but again look at their OOC losses Iowa, Purdue, St Peter's, Providence, and Seton Hall and their RPI was terrible. I want to see this tourney format the year when their is less mediocrity and more good teams. None of the teams that didn't get in have a legitimate gripe imo.

I was pretty sure that expanding to 68 wouldn't really please anyone just cause more controversy over the last 4 teams to get it. Clemson is the only one of those last 4 that I feel belonged there and they are kind of iffy. Why aren't we talking about USC not deserving to be there? VCU gave em the business last night, yeah they beat Texas, and UCLA and they played Kansas tough, but look at some of the losses-Rider?Bradley?TCU, Nebraska?Washington State Ariz. St, Oregon X2? At least the other 3 teams in the last 4 had 20+ wins USC had no business there. And to reiterate on VA Tech, any team that loses to UVA twice does not belong there. Any quality wins they had were overshadowed by a bad loss, like losing by 20 at Ga Tech and getting beat by 15 on their home floor by BC. I know RPI isn't everything but by my count, there were 9 teams with better RPI than VA Tech that were left out.ST Mary's was a top 40 RPI team but they didn't have a signature win, but a better choice than USC or VCU.

Well, fuck Louisville, they ruined my bracket. I guess it's not the first time "more head" has been the downfall of Pitino.

That really crushed my bracket, I figured Louisville could do a lot better than that. I'm actually quite upset right now. Vandy is getting all they can handle from Richmond, too. SDSU is in somewhat of struggle against Northern Colorado.

Louisville didn't fuck me up too bad but St Johns and MSU sure did, I had those two playing in the sweet 16. Watching Oakland and Texas right now hoping I get the upset right, down 8 at the half. Back to that St Johns game, Gonzaga looked very good like they are gonna give BYU a run for their money, I hope they advance since I had St John's beating BYU. Anyone notice how much of a whiner Jimmer is, I saw him do this in a game earlier this year but last night he was even worse, he plays the NBA superstar game, he throws up 25-30 shots and every missed shot he is in the refs ear bitching about getting fouled, and then he gets away with all kinds of shit on the other end.
Most impressive teams yesterday, Cincinatti and Gonzaga looked convincing over evenly matched opponents, and Uconn, Fla looked absolutely dominant. Oh and of course Morehead for knocking off UL.

Going back to the UAB and VCU debate. I don't understand why they are there. Va Tech and Colorado deserved to be in. However Colorado played a soft OOC and Va Tech just lost to some other bubble teams. Another team I hear is Bama but again look at their OOC losses Iowa, Purdue, St Peter's, Providence, and Seton Hall and their RPI was terrible. I want to see this tourney format the year when their is less mediocrity and more good teams. None of the teams that didn't get in have a legitimate gripe imo.

You're not allowed to use OOC scheduling as criteria for championship selection. Nor are you allowed to use RPI as championship selection so none of those SHOULD matter.

Men's BB handbook states that the following things are the ONLY factors that the committee may use as criteria: win-loss record, strength of schedule, and availability of student-athletes.

RPI, head to head, common opponents, and non-conference strength of schedule, last 8, and results against teams already in the field are not currently approved selection criteria according to the Men's Basketball Handbook.

I hope Notre Dame can avoid losing to FSU. While Notre Dame can shoot and score they lack an inside presence that FSU has with Singleton returning. FSU is a good Defensive team as they are the #1 defense in CBB. However they can't score and ND can hopefully find a way to give Hansburogh, Martin, and Abromatis good and open shots.

This Duke-Michigan game will be a lot closer than most people anticipated. If Michigan can play solid defense and pick their shots wisely then they could easily win this game. Michigan has already gotten three turnovers out of Duke, they just need to capitalize on fastbreak chances on the other end and they'll be good. Michigan also can't be outrebounded if they want to win this game. They're looking a little nervous right now, so if they settle down they should be fine. Maybe just get the ball around the perimeter a bit, find some solid shots for their deep guys, or just work the inside.

Oughtta be a tough contest though.

Alot of people including myself owe VCU an apology for saying they weren't a tournament team. My bracket looks about like Charles Barkley's right now. Thoughts on some of the weekends games, Florida is a lot better than I had been giving them credit for, I'm really looking forward to the BYU matchup. I know nothing in the tournament is a given, but if Kansas doesn't make it to the Final 4 that can be classified as a terrible choke.
UNC showed again why I call them the luckiest team in the nation, Washington gave that game away in the final three minutes, Carolina shot 18-23 freethrows to Washingtons 7-7, and Isiah Thomas did not play well. In a game where they were +11 at the line and the opposing teams star didn't show up, they were still in a position to lose in the final minute. One other note about that game, they actually called a carry on Isiah Thomas as if they cared about the rules, you could call a carry every possession if you wanted to, then in the final seconds didn't bother to review the clock, Washington was inbounding with .5 on the clock when it should have been at least 1.3 but whatever can't blame the officials when you turn the ball over that many times down the stretch Huskies.
Game I most looking forward to in the sweet 16 is Duke and Arizona, Duke has the size to bother Williams so other players may have to step up like they did on Sunday. As is usually the case with Duke, this game will probably come down to how they shoot the 3 ball.
Last comment, you gotta feel sorry for the dude from Pitt, yeah he made a bonehead play but it sucks to be known as the dumbass who fouled 90 feet from the basket with time expiring, if his teammate made his freethrow he wouldn't have even been in that position.

Alot of people including myself owe VCU an apology for saying they weren't a tournament team.

VCU still doesn't belong in the tournament. I don't care if they reach the title game, they didn't belong in the tournament. Wilbon covered this topic, I thought, very well on yesterday's PTI. They never belonged in there, but we can applaud them on their effort for making the most of their opportunity.

Too often we look at a team's tournament run and say, "wow, I was wrong, they clearly belong." No, they don't. The tournament is supposed to be about your body of work BEFORE selection, not after. VCU, regardless of what they accomplish, did not belong in this tournament.

Reactions: gd

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back