• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard

jmt225

Global Moderator
Nate Diaz vs. Gray Maynard has been announced to headline UFC Fight Night 20, which airs January 11, 2010 on Spike TV for free, and if Gray Maynard wins, he will then receive a Lightweight Title shot against the winner of BJ Penn/Diego Sanchez fight from UFC 107.

So, thoughts? Predictions? Also, do you think Maynard deserves the shot if he defeats Nate?

............................................................​

I'm very, very excited for this fight.

Gray Maynard's only MMA loss is an ass kicking he received from Nate Diaz on the 5th Season of The Ultimate Fighter, where of course the fights don't go against your official record since they're not sanctioned. However, since then... Maynard has won all his fights decisively, outside of a draw against Rob Emerson which ended in a draw, even though Maynard clearly won the fight.

Anyway, like I said... Gray has looked great lately. However, I still don't think he can defeat Nate. Gray's best attribute is his wrestling, and he couldn't hold Nate down two years ago, so why should I believe he could so now? That, plus you factor in that lately Gray hasn't been using his wrestling much in his fights and has been looking to stand and bang... he very well could have a stand-up war with Nate, which, again, I don't think Gray would stand a chance in. Nate just knows how to use his reach to his advantage so well that I don't think Gray would be able to handle it because let's face it... he didn't looked too hot on his feet in last fight against Roger Huerta, and Melvin Guillard is ten times the striker Gray could ever dream of being, and Diaz didn't have many problems against him.

Honestly, the only way I can see Maynard winning this fight is doing what Joe Daddy did against Nate Diaz, and that's grab a leg and hold on to it for 15 minutes and get the decision. However, I'm not even so sure he could do that.

If by some miracle Gray does pull this off... then he absolutely deserves a shot at the Lightweight Champion, and I don't think that's even debatable, even if there are plenty of better Lightweights in the division, Gray still manages to keep winning, and is doing so against some very good fighters.

Gray Maynard has been looking great lately and hes still undefeated at the moment. I was surprised when i heard he beat Roger Huerta. Cause to be truthful i found that one of his only impressive wins, besides his win to Frankie Edgar. He is one of the top lightweights in LW divison, but to be truthful i'd rather see Nate Diaz get the next title shot instead of Maynard...maybe because im not a fan but still. And the fact that i think he wouldnt be a threat either to BJ Penn or Sanchez. I see this match being his first loss to his record, but i cant count him out completely.

I dont think Maynard is ready for a title shot at the moment anyways. They should definetly throw some more fights in his way even if he wins this bout. Plus the LW division has many other credible fighters to throw in there with the champ.

I to am very excited for this fight. As much as I hate Nate Diaz and hate admitting this the dude puts on some great fucking fights. He is very talented and this matchup with Maynard is going to be a great showcase of the future of the lightweight division in the UFC. Mayne has amazing wrestling but that will be countered with Diaz's awesome jiu jitsu. Its gonna be great to see how this fight ends up and who comes out the victor. I figure if Maynard wins he'll be next in line for BJ and if Diaz wins, well maybe not a title shot but he'll sure as hell be back in contention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back