• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Name Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowmancer

I am The Last Baron
Which Bands do you buy Albums for just based on Name Value and not bothering to listen to one song on the album. Also say why.

Me personally is any Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickenson, Mastodon and Kamelot.

These bands I know can deliver stuff that I like on a consistent basis so I will go and buy it pretty close to straight away, This is just the basis of wha I would look for and then once I have all the albums I look at other stuff for my collection.

Up to their most recent CD, one of those bands was the Who.

I just bought their last CD and it was utter shit. But I figured.. the who, can't go wrong. Yeah I guess I should've taken into consideration that 2 of their members were dead. But I also figured... 20 years to make an album, it must be good, but wrong again. To be fair it was a concept Rock Opera album.

(and for the record I will take these things into considering when or rather if the new GNR CD comes out... but i'll probably buy it anyway just cause it's GNR, lol).

I actually do this for a lot of bands. I listen to like maybe 75-80% punk, and those bands need all the Album buys and support they can get, so I usually buy blindly with those bands I know don't make that much money.

Once in a while if I have some extra cash and no CD i'm currently listening to I'll randomly buy a CD from a band someone's told me is good or something.

WHHAAAT?!?! You thought the Who's last album was shit Prax?! I thought it was fucking awesome! Man in a Purple Dress is amazing, I thought that was their best album since Who's Next. Sure it'll never be the same without Keith and Entwistle, but I still thought it was damn, damn solid.

Let's see...

Bob Dylan
Sure, he's put out some utter shit in the 80s, but usually every single album he comes out with is one of the best of all time, and that's not an exaggeration. Modern Times, his latest, is fuckin' amazing, his best work since the 70s honestly. More gut wrenching blues then anyone's put out in years aside from Eric Clapton. Speaking of Clapton...

Eric Clapton
I've yet to hear anything by this man that wasn't solid gold. He basically invented modern blues back in the 60s with John Mayall, Cream, and the Yardbirds, and still to this day he rocks harder then almost anything you'll ever see on TV. Not to mention the Cream reunion was one of the most badass events of the last decade.

Morissey
Another genius who I've yet to hear a bad song from. His tenure with the Smiths produced some of the greatest music known to man, as well as some of the most bittersweet and haunting. Nothing will ever beat The Smiths for me when I'm sad, but when Morissey went solo it was seen as a huge mistake. Not true, sure, Johnny Marr's amazing guitar work is no longer there, but Morissey has always been a genius, whether its his lyrics(I still believe he is the most talented lyricist ever)his music or his message. His last couple albums have been awesome, especially Ringleader of the Tormenters.

Fatboy Slim
Yet another guy I've yet to hear anything bad from. His mashups of old songs, new songs, noise, and whatever else you can think of always produce some of the funkiest and best music to dance to. Then you go onto my favorite album of his "Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars" where there are several songs that are very mature and haunting as well as beautiful, not very danceable, such as "Bird of Prey" where he mashes up Jim Morrison reading some obscure poetry of his over this crazy electronic beat that makes you feel like your flying. Best electronic music, ever, and I'm usually not a fan of electronic music.

The Who as well I suppose, but considering it took them twenty five years for a new album to come out I won't count that. Also anytime any rarity collection surfaces for

Well i for me I will go with the Red Hot Chili Peppers as all their stuff has been gold for me and their last cd was great. Theres seem to be like nothing they can do wrong when creating a CD. Plus their Cd's have great songs all the way through as I can just put in the cd player and let it flow.

Another is Papa Roach none of their Cd's for me has been that bad really as i can just also put in the cd player and let it flow and some of their underground stuff is really cool and they need to incorporate some of those songs into their next CD.

With Rap i dunno nowadays but i know if Dre ever does produce Dretox will buy it. As Dre is the man when it comes to rap.

A.J Knows a hell of a lot of stuff. If there's one band i will buy an album of without having heard even one of the songs, it's the Chilis. (And i believe there is only one L in Red Hot Chili Peppers, but i could be wrong). Apart from that... i don't know if anyone in the US will have heard of them, but the other band i would buy whatever was on the album is Snow Patrol, especially after the simply amazing "Chasing Cars". Guys who havn't heard of it, i'll try to track down a video and link it here. Stay tuned!

Edit: Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

I just thought of another guy that I would buy without thinking is Ozzy Osbourne. As for GnR Ive heard the unofficial single for Chinese Democracy, it isn't that special, that is just the unofficial single so it could be a whole lot better, but the album Is going to be a wait and see for me.

WHHAAAT?!?! You thought the Who's last album was shit Prax?! I thought it was fucking awesome! Man in a Purple Dress is amazing, I thought that was their best album since Who's Next. Sure it'll never be the same without Keith and Entwistle, but I still thought it was damn, damn solid.

I'm talking about the album they released last year, Endless Wire. It was just bad.

That's what I was referring to, Endless Wire. You thought it was crap? Why so? I thought it was one of the best all around rock albums we've seen in years and years. How can you not love Man in a Purple Dress or the Endless Wire suite?

for me it would have to be the Headbangers Ball compilations, those always have good songs on them, I useally will go and pick one of those up if I'm feeling bored with my CD collection, and nothing else in the store catches my eye, then I just throw them in my CD player and hit random

other than that, Tool, Perfect Circle, NIN, and anything with Tom Morello on it is also garunteed to be good

Another group based off Name value for me would be Linkin Park.

I had never heard of Linkin Park until Meteora came out, and ever since i have been a fan of anything they do. This CD, "Minutes to Midnight" is pretty badass. The only thing is that they dont have the whole "rock rap" thing going as much as before. they went the hardcore rock/metal/screamo style now. There are two songs out of the twelve that have Mike Shinoda rapping, which are my favorite too. The others are just Chester screaming and what not, but i still love the CD. I highly recommend gettin it if you like their older stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back