Mysterio VS Del Rio: Hair VS Mask?

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Mysterio recently gave an interview for the WWE Magazine and he was asked a question as to who would his "dream opponent" be. Mysterio said that his dream match would be against Alberto Del Rio, saying:

"If I were to pick a dream match-up for sometime in the future, it would be against him and I would definitely put my mask on the line. I want it to be a classic lucha libre style match, mask vs. hair."

Mysterio has gone without his mask close to the end of his run in WCW, so that's been a long time ago. The mask remains an important element for wrestling in Mexico, so I suppose there could be some interest in seeing Mysterio without it. At the same time though, the mask vs. hair bit comes off as really outdated to me. For a guy to be unmasked in the old days could sometimes come off as a big deal, if the masked face or heel wrestler was extremely over, but there's no real mystique surrounding masked wrestlers these days. If we wanna find out who a wrestler really is, for instance, all we have to do is browse around on the internet for a while. We'll eventually come up with the guy's name and probably find a picture or two of him unmasked if we look long enough. As far as the hair bit, it's no big deal for a man to be bald as there's just no stigma associated with it anymore. Hell, a guy shaving his head has become part of mainstream fashion and has been for years. So trying to sell the indignity Del Rio would feel after having his head shaved would be incredibly weak.

If they were to go with a match between Mysterio & Del Rio, I think the only way they'd garner any real interest is if they made it a career vs. career match, with the bonus of Mysterio being forced to take his mask off if he loses. While I'm sure they'd put on a solid match, we've already seen this match numerous times in the past, including twice this past week. Without some sort of genuine hook to get people interested, I this match would be dead the moment it was announced.

I think that the stipulation in itself would garner some "attention". Also, their history comes since the debut of Del Rio and consequently the downgrade of Rey Mysterio's career. Del Rio put a mark on Mysterio since the first day he entered the WWE, he injured him several times and he went on to be a success and accomplish a lot more than Mysterio as far as singles star in WWE goes.

WWE's video packages could hype this up really nice for me. The stipulation would, however have to be bigger and at least for me, this one should be the ONE to put an end on Mysterio's career. So if he loses, he loses the mask and goes on to retirement. Del Rio however should lose something as well and throw it out his hair, as he really enjoys his looks and thinks too highly of himself but not only that, he should also put at stake something like Sting did in TNA, where he's not allowed to fight for the World Championship. I'm being too complicated here I know, I think that the mexican demographic would just love the Del Rio vs. Mysterio in a hair vs. mask match.

It's just a quote, I don't think that it will be a match at this year's WrestleMania. It's way too crowded as of right now, but we never know. WWE really tries to always put something for the loyal mexican fans. I for one like that, and despite their two recent matches (it will be three come this Monday I'm sure...) they could sell this rivalry as bigger than it already is.

The way to do it and generate interest might be for ADR to have to give up his "wealth" if he loses. Imagine that, if the character had "nothing left", it might spark something that fans could get into/a redemption storyline.

His hair isn't crucial to him, he'd look dumb bald and if it was his career he could always appear as Dos Caras Jr. for a while... but if ADR had to put everything he "has" against Rey and his mask, the match would have some weight.

The Hispanic demo is very important to E and I could really see this match making the WM card. I really like the idea of a mask/career vs wealth/life style. Turn ADR against the Hispanic fan base. Have him run down the heritage, the importance of the mask and their social standing in America. Maybe put him with Zeb, maybe. Rey plays the hero to a renewed heel in ADR. After its said and done ADR could be working for Ricardo.

Next year WM is in Cali. That's when Vice can pull off his Rey vs Sin Lucha Mask World Record act.

Yeah, I like this idea. Some of you said it's an out-of-date idea. Trust me, south of the border it would be a big deal. From what I read, Mexico would definitely be behind ADR in this match because they felt it was insult to Mexican culture when Rey joined WWE and had his mask on after losing.

I definitely would be up for this. I assume 2 out of 3 falls like they do it Mexico?

BTW, keep in mind WWE puts itself as a worldwide company, so they do need to consider more than the American viewpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back