MTV Unplugged

Frank the Frowner

Getting Noticed By Management
I was just watching Clapton's acoustic version of "Layla" from MTV Unplugged on YouTube, and it just made me think on how much MTV has really dropped the ball. I know music doesn't mean much to MTV... they've focused a lot of time and energy into awful dreck such as Parental Control and Laguna Beach, but MTV Unplugged is something that needs to be brought back as a semi-regular series. I would be more than content with about 10 episodes a year, just to keep things fresh.

Back in the mid 90s, Unplugged was home to seeing artists in a much different setting, putting on awesome performances acoustically. The Nirvana and Alice In Chains episodes were both incredible. I don't see why they can't get artists such as Chris Cornell, the Foo Fighters, or Godsmack (I would love to see them do an acoustic performance) to do the show... I'm sure Grohl would love to do a Foo Fighters episode.

Search some stuff out on Youtube... especially of Nirvana and Alice in Chains' episodes.

I've always been a big fan of the Unplugged shows. They did one with Korn a little under a year ago, but Korn isn't that great. I would love them to get some more talented musicians on there. Foo Fighters would be one I would like. There are so many bands they could bring in. I think it would be a good idea for them to bring in some bands, and do a monthly show on there.

There's already a Foo Fighters unplugged. Well not literally, but just order their "Skin and Bones" DVD. It's better than any unplugged because they got to play whatever they want without the influence of a cable station.

It's a great DVD (3 shows filmed) from a really great tour.

I don't know if anyone remembers this but Oasis Unplugged was awesome.
Liam had a sore throat and Noel replaced him and he did all of the Vocals and stuff.
The setlist was great and I thought the songs were better than the actual alblum ones.

For me, the NIRVANA one will never be topped, but i would really like to see the arctic monkeys do one. As someone else already said, Foo Fighters already released an unplugged-esque cd/dvd, so it would be kinda redundant to do the unplugged.

Oh man. Those MTV Unplugged specials where the shit. I've always loved it when bands will do acoustic sets, so I absolutely loved Unplugged. I loved the Nirvana and Oasis ones. Like SAR said Liam had a sore throat and Noel had to jump up and become the lead singer for the night. It was fantastic. Also with the unplugged format you get a more intimate setting with your audience. Love, love , loved this show.

The whole series was really groundbreaking, but in my mind there are two shows that stand out.

#1 Nirvana: I don't know what can be said about this episode that hasn't already been said. It was just amazing!

#2 L.L. Cool J: I believe this was one of the first "hip hop/rap" artists to even attempt this. While it wasn't amazing from a musical standpoint. I think it was just because I heard "Mama Said Knock You" Out with horns and his deodorant dreadlocks in his armpits.

I think this show should be brought back on MTV 2 featuring up and comming acts and also older acts relaunching their carrers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back