• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Move Australia day?

Sparky

Master of the Aussie kiss
right, So i contemplated posting this here as there isnt much Australians, but then I thought that it could/might be the same for all others. like would you want America to change their day becouse of the Native americans?

Australia day is January 26th. but the Aboriginals (most of them) want the day moved to the day that Kevin rudd apoligised for taking over Australia ect. as the Aboriginal's don't want to celebrate the day their ancestors was stripped of their land.

What do you think? should Australia day be moved to the Day Rudd said sorry? or should it stay where they are? or should it be moved to a middle ground?

Personally i think that it should be moved to a middle ground. not either of these, but the day Australia become federated. as that is when Australia was truley born. I can see where the Aboriginal elders are coming from, but they shouldn't be able to choose the day like they want to.

I'm sure non Aboriginals don't care what day they celebrate it, and the "future" Aussies won't care becouse they would be gratfull to enjoy being a member of the lucky country.

No. Why change it after its been on January 26 for so many years. Yes, we did say sorry to the Aboriginals after so long, but what more do they want? Saying sorry didnt make Australia a nation so it shouldnt be celebrated on that day.

In saying this, who cares. Does it really matter if its on January 26. As long as we celebrate the day it shouldnt matter and we shouldnt change it when its been like this for so long. So sorry, no we shouldnt change it just leave it the way it is.

No, I would not support the changing of the day of Australia Day, it's part of the Australian Culture that Australia Day is on the 26th Jan. and I want it to stay that way, as I'm sure other patriotic Americans wouldn't want to move July 4th to another day, or other holidays that you guys celebrate.

Having Australia Day mark the anniversay of the arrival of the first fleet isn't a problem for me as that marks the beginning of the creation of Australia. I like your idea though about having Australia day as the day that Aus. was federated but I don't think it should change.

While I know next to nothing about Australia, I could do this about America. The way it sounds is that this is the Australian Independence Day, which is the Fourth of July to us. That's the day that the final draft of the Declaration of Independance was completed on this day. The document wasn't fully signed until August 2nd though. There have been instances where people have wanted to change to the later date, and the answer has almost always been the same. People know the original date and it's been entrenched in us so long that it would be relatively pointless now. I don't know how much of an issue this is in Australia, but more or less there's never going to be a real chance to change things, as that's just the way it's always been.

No. Why change it after its been on January 26 for so many years.
Why shouldnt we? we change alot of things after many years.
Yes, we did say sorry to the Aboriginals after so long, but what more do they want? Saying sorry didnt make Australia a nation so it shouldnt be celebrated on that day.
But neither did arriving in Australia TBH. Australia didn't become Australia until it was federated. before then it might of still been called Australia but it was nothing like it is now.

In saying this, who cares. Does it really matter if its on January 26. As long as we celebrate the day it shouldnt matter
But with you saying that, who cares if it is moved.? after all, what is Australia day to most Australians anyway? a day off work, maybe a BBQ and alcohol.
and we shouldnt change it when its been like this for so long.
go to most primary schools, god even highschools and ask them when Australia day is... They won't know. so its not like that is a problem.
So sorry,
its ok, I forgive you :p

Meh, thinking about it again doesnt really bother me. As you said, most people dont even know why we celebrate Australia day and many people just love it for it being a public holiday for BBQ's and the beach. So yeh if its changed so be it, doesnt really matter when it is as long as its celebrated.

Really, Australia Day means nothing to most Australians. I know for the schoolkids they're still on holidays, so they just htink it's another day in the calendar. Others just think it's a time to get the friends over for a BBQ and a few beers. So most people wouldn't complain if it got moved.

But why should the Aborigines get treated specially like this and have Australia Day moved because they want it to be moved? If they don't want to celebrate January 26th, then there's an easy solution: don't celebrate it. Celebrate Sorry Day instead if you want to. You're not being forced to celebrate at all. There's no reason why we should move it, but there's no reason why we shouldn't move it either. Nearly nobody cares about this anyway, and if it gets moved so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back