Most succesful TUF participant

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
So I was watching TUF season 5 today and I thought to myself "hm who could be the most successful person to come off TUF? It's very difficult to judge because many people have been very successful coming off the show.

Personally I think it comes down to 3 fighters. Either Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, or Matt Serra. All have 1 title reign, and each have some very impressive wins under their belt. If I had to chose i'd have to give it to Rashad in a very close decision. Since each have 1 title reign I went on caliber of opponents beaten, and record. Rashad has the best record, and has beaten higher caliber opponents than the other two. Forrest comes in second with Serra third. So what do you guys think about it?

It's definitely out of Rashad and Forrest, for now.

But I would have to go with Forrest, just based off of fan appeal. A huge part of "success" in MMA is just not about winning fights, but getting a large fanbase, headlining shows, and making a shit load of money. I think Forrest has Rashad beat in all those things, big time. Sure, Rashad has a victory over Forrest and an overall better record, but there's no way he could ever compete with Forrest in those other categories.

Now, to play "what if" right quick... if Chris Leben would have become Middleweight Champion, then he would be the answer to this question. I remember watching when the first TUF aired and thinking to myself how Leben had more personality than anyone on Raw (remember back then it aired right after Raw was done). He could have been huge in this sport, but unfortunately... he just doesn't have the height for Middleweight, while it's too hard for him to cut down to Welterweight.

Also, Matt Hamill can still become huge, and of course Diego Sanchez has a title shot next month and if he wins and continues to defend that title successfully (something Forrest and Rashad couldn't do), then he very well could past Forrest up in those categories I mentioned.

I really hope Diego wins against BJ. I am a huge Diego fan, and really think he deserves this. With that said if he does beat BJ he will move up to 2nd on my list. I agree with everything you've said on Leben. The guy is very talented and charismatic and he really is committed to MMA. I was watching him vs Bispieng last night and just his story of his life is plain amazing.

Forrest does beat Rashad in those departments by big margins, but I just think Rashad is and will be more successful than Forrest. Like you said he beat Forrest already, and I think that he is a better fighter than Forrest. I think Forrest is a great fighter don't get me wrong, it's just I believe Rashad is and will be the more succesful of the two, even if Forrest has a bigger fanbase.

JMT is right, the clear choice's here are Forrest and Rashad. Even though Matt Serra was a TUF winner he was a well regarded fighter before his stint on TUF. That being said he did get his shot from being on the show as well whereas Forrest and Rashad had to win many more fights before having their shots. They weren't just handed a title shot after the show.

I think that Diego could still be the greatest TUF champ if he wins the belt but I also think that Kos could be the best TUF fighter ever as well. His win over Johnson was very impressive to me and he made me a believer that he could hang with and possible beat GSP. I think that the Kos/Hardy fight needs to happen to declare a true number one contender and that Kos could have a decent reign as champ if he ever reached it. Bader is another guy that I would like to see more about how his career pans out. He has looked very good in his first two fights, and looks to me like a future champ. But to answer your question the most successful TUF fighters to date are Forrest and Rashad.

I would say Forrest.

He has the personality, the humbleness, the appeal, and the ability to back it up. He is someone that the UFC needs in order to sell their product. The fans love him, he has the heart to go out their and compete, he is a former champion, he put on a hell of a fight tonight, and he is just someone the fans love to see. It is the reason he was put on the UFC computer game.

He has put on the best fright in the history of the UFC, and he is a huge part in the success in TUF. Perhaps without Forrest, TUF would never have been the success that it is today.

It's a pretty simple answer to this question, Rashad Evans. Yeah he can be cocky, but when it comes down to it he is able to show results. As of now he is 7-1-1 with a title reign under his belt as well, with his only loss in the UFC and in his MMA career being delivered by the current Light Heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida.

JMT is right, the clear choice's here are Forrest and Rashad. Even though Matt Serra was a TUF winner he was a well regarded fighter before his stint on TUF. That being said he did get his shot from being on the show as well whereas Forrest and Rashad had to win many more fights before having their shots. They weren't just handed a title shot after the show.

I think that Diego could still be the greatest TUF champ if he wins the belt but I also think that Kos could be the best TUF fighter ever as well. His win over Johnson was very impressive to me and he made me a believer that he could hang with and possible beat GSP. I think that the Kos/Hardy fight needs to happen to declare a true number one contender and that Kos could have a decent reign as champ if he ever reached it. Bader is another guy that I would like to see more about how his career pans out. He has looked very good in his first two fights, and looks to me like a future champ. But to answer your question the most successful TUF fighters to date are Forrest and Rashad.

Honestly Kos stands absolutely no chance at beating GSP. When Kos gets in trouble he uses his wrestling to take the opponent down and ground n pounds em there. Only problem is no way in hell would Kos be able to take GSP down. GSP is way to strong, and has amazing balance. No way does Kos stand a chance.

Well Fizzy time will tell. I honestly think he stands a better chance then anyone else in the UFC right now besides maybe Jon Fitch. He shows the most well rounded skills and besides how you feel personally towards him he would run through Dan Hardy. The guy has great wrestling, solid boxing, and as of last night is showing signs of a submission game. I think he would give GSP a run for his money, maybe not beat him but then again he took it to GSP last time they fight. We will only know if the match is made so there is no use arguing about it until then but if he can win the welterweight belt I do think he could be the most successful TUF fighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back