• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most Likely Next Triple Crown Champion

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
In the WWE, a Triple Crown Champion is a wrestler who wins a primary championship (WWE Title or World Heavyweight Title), a tag-team championship (WWE Tag or World Tag) and the Intercontinental Title. The US and ECW Championships are not considered part of the Triple Crown endeavor.

There are 11 currently signed WWE Superstars who need one more championship to win the Triple Crown, and in ALL 11 cases, it's a singles title. So I ask you: out of the 11, who has the best chance to win the next Triple Crown?

Needs to win a Primary Championship

Carlito
Christian
Goldust
John Morrison
Kofi Kingston
Shelton Benjamin
William Regal

Needs to win Intercontinental Championship

Batista
Big Show
John Cena
The Undertaker

The question is simple. Who, from this list, is most likely to be the next Triple Crown champion, and WHY.

If you rank them in order of likelihood, please include a reason why for each one.

For my money, the most likely champion is Kofi Kingston. He's in the middle of a meteoric rise, similar to that of CM Punk a couple years back. It's quite possible we're looking at a future MITB ladder match winner and subsequent champion.

Least likely is The Undertaker. At his age and stature, I severely doubt he'd abase his reputation for a mid-card title like the IC.

Neat thread idea. I have no idea, but I'm more than willing to bullshit about it.

There are three likely candidates, those being John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, and Christian. I'm not willing to give a rock solid answer as to which one it will be, but I almost feel it HAS to be one of them given their current pushes.

I think WWE wants it to be John Morriosn. That look, those wrestling skills, the wins over Punk in the summer, the major matches against Rey and Jeff. WWE wants this to be their man but he lacks the mic skills at the moment and despite his gradual push doing wonders, he's not catching on as well as Kofi and Christian. For that reason, I don't think he's gonna grab the top strap as quickly as everyone thinks.

Kofi has really been on fire since Bragging Rights. This upper midcard battle with Orton is the exact thing that Punk should have been doing last fall. Kofi is sitting in a great spot at the moment, but look who you've got at the top of the card right now... DX, Cena, Orton... Yeah, we see WWE trying to build new guys and clean their act on. But even with the better than normal job they've been doing over the last little while, I have a hard time believing Kofi is going to be holding the WWE Championship on Raw any time soon with things the way they are.

Christian is probably the one that should do it, being very over and having the deepest resume of the three. He's in prime position as well as men like Bobboy Lashley, CM Punk, and Matt Hardy have jumped to the big two brands with major pushes after their ECW Championship reigns, and they weren't built up half as well as Christian has been. The man should (SHOULD) break through hard on SmackDown next year. Early next year.

My heart says William Regal, but my head says I should be doing my homework. Moving on...

None of the four established main eventers will do this. Batista, Cena, and Taker are way too big for the IC strap and Big Show is on Raw and will probably be used as an upper-midcard job boy when Jerishow is over rather than a midcard champion.

Yea I'm gonna have to go with an almost ridiculous three-way tie betwixt Kofi, Morrison and Christian. All will be triple crown champs before 0'10 is through. With Kofi and Morrison probably doing it on the same night even. Kofi is red hot right now and SD! is in desperate need of a top face hence JoMo. Christian has been deserving a world title shot for a while now so hopefully he'll get his in the latter part of 0'10

However Cena and Undertaker are never going to fall back to IC contendership since all they have to do is show up at this point and is granted a heavyweight title opportunity. So to rank the people you've listed (in order from who'll never be triple crown to most likely):

10. Goldust (no possible way he's getting a world title shot)
9. Regal (can't even win the developmental title)
8. Cena (WWE is not gonna let goldenboy drop down)
7. Taker (that reason u listed)
6. Carlito (been missing for months and shows up just to get roughed up by supercena)
5. Shelton (great athlete, horrible on the mic)
4. Batista (slight possibility if he's not in the title hunt and not injured (never seen both happen at the same time though hahaha))
3. Show (good possibility actually since he drops down to US title hunt quite often)
2. Christian (very good chance but he's a turncoat in Vince's eye I hear)
1. Kofi and JoMo (really should be guaranteed at this point)

1) John Morrison and Kofi Kongston. Both He and Kofi are going to be main eventers by this time next year (unless one of them screws up massively. I cannot tell which of them will win it first (hell, they might do it in the same PPV), so I'm ranking them joint first.

3) Christian. The dude's the most over guy in ECW (he says as if that meant something), is a good performer (both in the ring and on the stick) and is simply awaiting being let out from the kiddie pool of ECW and thrown into the deep end at SD or Raw. We cant know for sure if he'll make untill then, but he's more likely to make it than the rest of the list.

4) The Big Show He needs to go after a midcard title, and has the added bonus of already being a midcarder. he's below the top three because he's usually pushed as a main eventer due to his size (which is why he's never won IC gold before). also, he's on the wrong brand.

5) Shelton Benjamin. as with Christian, he's a big fish in a small pond. However unlike christian, he's not over and sucks on the mic. However he's still more likely to win his needed title than any of the others.

6) Carlito. He's apparently got a bad attitude backstage, bitches about the WWE and seems to half ass everything. He's more likely than he people below him because despite that he seems to have jumped into the MErs are holding the midcarders down angle, giving him a slim chance of making it to the WWE title.

7) Goldust, William Regal, Batista, John Cena and The Undertaker. The first two juat are not main event tslent. Regal's good but he's never been able to make it up the card to the main event, and that's not going to change; same with Goldust. The latter three are simple above the Intercontinental championship. they're on the same level because they're never going to win the needed strap to become triple crown and/or grand slam winners.

Since I really don't think Morrison is any where near a world title I'll have to go with Christian and Kofi, who ever is first is up to someone else to decide. If Christian doesn't recieve a world title I will honestly cry. The guy is probably the most solid performer in the WWE right now, and if on a bigger program could definately challenge Jericho for the top overall performer in the company. As for Kofi, he's on the biggest push of his life, and as long as he can maintain his momentum it will end with a title. It just depends how long it takes, and it should take a little while.

The sleeper in this whole deal is Big Show. He's on the wrong show for the IC belt, but this guy isn't a true main eventer. He is for sure a filler in the ME but more than less just hovers around the main event scene. He would be a perfect fit for an mid card title run anyway. What better way to get over an up and coming mid carder than to have them drop Show for the title.

I'm going with Big Show as the only one that has a real shot. Batista, Cena, and Undertaker are all too big for the belt, and the guys who need a main title just aren't big enough...Yet.

Big Show however, fits in both. He can be in a main event, and we'd all be OK with it. He could also go down and face the IC champ, and we'd be OK with that too. He's getting a lot of TV time now, and has been doing a lot better in his matches, so why not put him in a feud for the belt once JeriShow is done? Jericho is always a contender for that belt, and it seems like easy booking to have them split, and go after that belt at the same time.

Interesting that there are a set of people that need just a second tiered title to win that have no shot of winning it. The only one of those four that has a shot is The Big Show, who could win it, but I am not sure if he will win it.

Kingston's push has done well to move him up. He is a scrawny kid, who now has a shot at winning the world title. I say that if he goes up against someone like Edge for the title, he has a shot of winning that title, much before John Morrison ever wins it.

...much before John Morrison ever wins it.

I was thinking of saying John Morrison, but the fact is that he has stumbled into 2 different title wins because of the other person being out...The first was Benoit, and then Rey.

There's always a shot he'll be a main event player, without actually being a contender, and then be handed the belt because he's the best option for whatever feud was planned. I just don't think he'll get it on his own for a while...

It'll either be the Big Show or John Morrison. Show is mid-card and could win the IC Title before he retired. Morrison will eventually be a world champion, but not as soon as we want. It's a unique list there, IC. Cena never being an IC Champion. Neither has Batista. And Christian's another dark horse for a major title.

But I see this either going to Big Show or Morrison sooner or later.

So then going under the assumption you completely invalidate the US title as a second-tier title??

John Cena, and Big Show have already held the second-tier title of the US strap.

You can't have it both ways. Saying on needs a "primary" championship and then that they MUST have the IC Belt... sorry, no go there.

Also then enter into the mix MVP, Matt Hardy, Miz... and maybe one other person I am forgetting.

As to who it will be first... either Miz or Morrison. I really don't see Kofi getting the strap before them. Much as I like the kid, I just don't see him as the champ before Miz or Morrision. And we all know I love Christian but Vince giving him that World run is about as likely as Santino being a world champ...

So then going under the assumption you completely invalidate the US title as a second-tier title??

John Cena, and Big Show have already held the second-tier title of the US strap.

You can't have it both ways. Saying on needs a "primary" championship and then that they MUST have the IC Belt... sorry, no go there.

Also then enter into the mix MVP, Matt Hardy, Miz... and maybe one other person I am forgetting.

As to who it will be first... either Miz or Morrison. I really don't see Kofi getting the strap before them. Much as I like the kid, I just don't see him as the champ before Miz or Morrision. And we all know I love Christian but Vince giving him that World run is about as likely as Santino being a world champ...

Reason being is simply this:

WWE has yet to declare the ECW Championship or WWE United States Championship to be acceptable substitutes for Primary and Secondary Championships in order to complete the Grand Slam or Triple Crown Championships, possibly for not having originated in WWE.

The reason why the don't include the US Title is because it's not WWE's original belt (it originated in WCW). It's the same for the Grand Slam Championship, that one only applies to those who held the European or Hardcore Titles when they were still active.

So it's not IC who invalidated the US Title as a second tier belt for the Triple Crown, it's WWE who have!

I would say that kofi would be the 1st because of the current push he is getting. christians 2nd because eventually he is going to come back to the show eventually and when he does his popularity with the crowd plus the way hes handled his run in ecw should get him a title shot. 3rd would be morrison it's going to happen eventually hes got the look the skill set and IMO hes decent ont the mic. the only other one that has legit shot would be big show but i dont see that happening if it was going to happen it would have already and although show is technically a midcarder he is to big for the IC.

It should be Christian. Without question. Christian is so over as a performer and he's on a show that no one watches. Unfortunately, Christian is the face of ECW. It looks as though creative is testing the waters with Benjamin to see if he can be "the guy" on that show and I expect the two to steal the show at TLC - it just depends on if the fans are willing to love Benjamin the way they do Christian or did Matt Hardy. Until there's a viable replacement on that show, Christian will stay put. It's truly a shame that more people don't watch ECW as Christian has been on a Jericho-like role this past year. He's probably the most entertaining guy in the company besides Jericho right now. Here's to hoping. It will probably be Kofi though.

1.Kofi Kingston. I picked kofi first cus he's on raw which needs more main eventers, while smackdown doesnt need much. Raw has Triple h, shawn michaels, john cena, and randy orton all of whom are the championship worthy as of now, smackdown has undertaker, batista, rey mysterio, edge, chris jericho, cm punk who like i said b4 are championship worthy, smackdown also has more mid card talents that seem to be being pushed or will be john morrison, dolph ziggler, r-truth(not so much), drew mycintire(cnt speel his name), that guy who was with vickie, and more. so raw has more room for kingston to move up. im also sure either him or morrison will win the money in the bank this wrestlemania.

2.John Morrison. He's right behind kofi because of what i said earlier.

3.Christian. Should have won money in the bank b4, should alredy b on smackdown or raw, and should alredy b a triple crown champion, but is not getting pushed

4.Big Show. after the tag championship storyline with jericho is done he pretty much has nothing else to do so y not put him in the intercontinental championship contendership, unless they put him in another fued

5.Shelton Benjamin. shelton is my favorite wrestler but i do agree with other people in that he does have bad mic skills but is VERY athletic and should get a title shot imo. i kno it probly wont happen but i'd like to c it. and i really think that if the match with christian at tlc goes good and they truly do steal the show then i think this would help him get a push.

Nice idea.

My pick is: Christian

Christian: 'Coz well I'm a peep. Also Christian seems to be a pretty good on the WWE ladder. Just look at Christian's current spot in WWE, and his last spot. He IMO seems to be "training" for the main event. He is consistently getting pops, and is the leader of a brand. So Christian is my pick!

Well this is a toughy, i would love christian to do it he has the charisma, and has served his time mid carding for ages my only beef with christian is his finisher, i just don't find it credibile enough, its a difficult finisher to manouver into and just does not seem like a "knock out blow" sort of finisher.

I think the most logical yet not greatest answer will be like an old guard like y2j or edge or someone like that although i would like miz to do it or morrison, the best option would be shelton benjamin, they started his push when he first came to raw on the draft and then nothing really, he deserves better in my eyes shelton, sheamus, swagger, evan bourne or matt hardy even aswell as the above should get that chance, would also love to see the truth there but he is a TNA guy so that stops there same goes with vance archer aka lance hoyt, he could have been big in tna and wwe will never push him cause he was a tna guy bad times but i hope it becomes more wow wrestling then the old style headlock and chin lock for the enitre match....come on wwe do something amazing

So here's my picks in this order-
It will be Christian Or Kofi who gets it next reasons for the picks:

1) Christian- As he been committed to his role with the company he's been in go watch how TNA gave him the send-off to the other company which is the WWE TNA gave Christian a ball abd he ran TD after TD with it. He'll get the big one. I Think Christian will lose the ECW title to Shelton then win the Rumble or he'll be the one who wins MITB as SD! is fine w/ faces but RAW is not just take a look. It won't be Vince who rewards Christian it'll be Steph. Christian is ME already just helpin w. the future of the company.

2) Kofi Kingston- There's never been a true African-American as WWE champ (I Dont count The Rock as he's Samoan sorry and Yes Booker T was a champ but not the main champ). He's whole nature reminds me a lil of Booker T/Jeff Hardy mixed. Great move set. Pretty dang impressive for his size. His feud with Orton is helpin him get there. The fans have loved him ever since he debut on ECW. So I think 2010-11 he'll get the WWE title.

3) John Morrison- has not got of a chance to get the WWE World Title as long as Batista or Taker are on top of the SD! Brand sorry.

Personally i think that the US Title should be allowed to contend for the Grandslam and Triple Crown as well as the ECW Title being a world title, the only problem being which companies were they created in? and continue to have there History? anyone....? WCW and ECW. By allowing these titles in it would screw up the WWE/F grandslam and triple crown titles.

I believe that given his push Kofi will be the next to reach that point, over Morrison because of the Taker-Batista feud going on. MITB is Morrison's opportunity.

I believe John Morrison has the best shot at this. He has the most upside of any athlete in the list and a very bright future. Even though he's small, I could see him taking the World Title in a few years.

Big Show would be the best second option here. Love him or hate him, he's a great big man and as he ages, he can be used in the midcard like Kane has been used the past couple years.

I hate to say it, but I dont think Christian will ever carry the RAW or Smackdown title. I'd love to see him as a heel champion, but with his age creepin up on him, I just dont think it's going to happen. WWE wants to build young new stars, Christian is neither.

John Morrison or The Big Show.

The Big Show was about to win the US Title before he became Jericho's partner, or it certainly looked that way, and it wouldn't be that surprising if he won the IC title once he's back on Smackdown, or once the champion is drafted.

The case for John Morrison is that there are no long term champions on Smackdown right now. All of the big guys are renown for having shitty reigns, which frees up more space for the little guys to break through.

The only other possibilities as I see it are Batista, Kingston and Christian. Christian cannot possibly be long for ECW, and I think he'll be holding the title right through to WrestleMania before getting drafted. He's an MITB possibility. Kingston is obviously being pushed, and Batista may pick upthe IC title at some point in the same way that JBL did on his way out.

Not very likely, but considering the fact that Taker HAS won just about everything else and is 17-0 at Mania... I would love to see him win an Intercontinental Title in a good old school TITLE vs TITLE match. Then Taker could quickly drop the IC and just keep his other title.

Sadly I can't even remember the last time they had a World Title vs an IC title match.

More realistically Big Show, Morrison, Kofi. But how cool would a match with say MORRISON as IC champ vs TAKER as Heavyweight Champ title vs title be. With Taker winning of course... and that would even give Morrison a heavy-weight title shot!!!

In my opinion, i think it will be Christian. I think he has been sat on ECW waiting for an oppourtunity and i think he is a dark horse for the Rumble. When compared to Kingston and Morrison, Christian doesn't appear as flashy but i suppose this is his appeal. He's a grafter and i think his superior mic skills make him the most likely to win the big one in the near future.
As for people needing the IC title, i don't see any of those guys stepping down to get it. Guys like Batista and Taker are desperately needed for the M.E on SD! and i don't see them fighting over the IC belt and John Morrison and CM Punk headlining PPVs... yet.

Christian's future is sadly bound to that of his best bud/fake bro...

If Edge is struggling with his Achillies injury to the extent it is reported... never will he get the belt...

If he and Edge can go at it full on for the title... it's a lock... it's the first and arguably only true money feud he could have...

Show is most likely, he has never shyed away from lower level belts... in fact he makes them better by holding them... he made Cena for the US, was great as a Hardcore champ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back