• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most heartbreaking moments?

jmt225

Global Moderator
Other than of course someone you love dying, and getting dumped/cheated on/whatever by someone you’ve been in a relationship with for a while, is there anything more heartbreaking than giving your heart and soul to a team just to see him come up short? To me, there is not. And I'm sure to the sports fans on this forum and in general, it's the same way for you and them. So, let's hear about the times where your heart was shred to pieces due to something sports related.

My ultimate heartbreak was the 2002 Western Conference Finals, without a doubt. Honest to God, to this day, I get upset just thinking about it. You have to understand... I was the biggest Chris Webber fan of the planet and had been since I was a kid. I don't know why, but he has always been my all time favorite sports figure. But fuck... he could never get the big one. I got the chance of meeting him just in April 2002 at a Rockets game and he couldn't have been more polite. So after that of course, my fandom was as big as ever and I was certain that was the year where he would finally get his championship. But man oh man, due to HORRIBLE officiating and other problems (Peja being injured and playing like shit his return, and Hedo not contributing at all, and missed free throw opportunities in Game 7), the Kings lost to the Lakers. I watched Game 7 with my entire family, and after it was over, I went in a room all by myself and just cried like a little bitch for what had to be a good five minutes. I was 15 at the time, and that was the last time I bawled like that. But a part of me still isn't over that loss. The Kings got cheated over and over again in that series. From Samaki Walker's three that shouldn't have counted in game 4 (Kings only lost that game by 1 due to a buzzer beater by Horry), game 6 ending up to be the worst officiating game in not just NBA history, but sports history period (look at video below for proof of that), and in Game 7, towards the end of the game when it's tied, Kobe Bryant runs into Vlade, yet Vlade is called for the foul and Kobe gets two free throws, thus sending the game into Overtime. Losing is one thing, but getting deliberately cheated is on a whole other level.

[youtube]db6_GJ3gsC0[/youtube]

That will always be first and foremost. But man, being a Saints fan my entire life hasn't been easy either. When I was a kid, around six and seven, the Saints had some EXCELLENT regular seasons led by Bobby Hebert, but could never win a Playoff Game. In fact, in the playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles in 1992 I think, the Saints had a 20-7 lead at the start of the 4th Quarter. However, the Eagles fucking scored 29 unanswered points and beat the Saints 36-20. I still can’t believe that one and that’s probably my father’s most heartbreaking moment in sports, thinking about it.

Another tough loss from the Saints was their 2000 Playoff loss to the Vikings, because I knew the Saints were the better team (just like they were better than the Bears in 2006, only to blow that fucking game, too). So those two were hard to swallow. However, nothing in the Saints history gets to me more than there 2004 Season. The Saints started off 4-8, but then won 4 straight to finish 8-8 for the season, but what kills me and pisses me off to this day is that they didn't make the playoffs. And I don't understand why the fuck they didn't. I mean, the last team to make it was the St. Louis Rams, who finished 8-8 just like the Saints, but here's the thing, not only did they have the same record overall, but they had the same record Division wise also. So, since the Saints BEAT THEM IN THE REGULAR SEASON, shouldn't they have gotten that Playoff birth? I never fucking understood that and it pissed me off because that 2004 team was phenomenal and on a big fucking roll. If they would have made the playoffs like they should have, there's no tellin' what could have happened. But it sucks hard they never got that opportunity.

Anyway, that's it for me. Let me hear your stories...

I don't want to really go into the details, but the 2007 college football season was a heartbreaker for me.

The Oregon Ducks were far and away the best team in all of college football. They were posting 30-40+ points every game, just lighting up the defenses of other teams. I poured everything in to that team. I loved them more for 2-3 months than I've ever loved anything, ever. When Dennis Dixon went down with a leg injury and never returned, I was devastated. I cried that night. We went on to get shut out in the next game, not having a solid quarter back (we were using our fifth string guy at the end of the year do to injuries), then another loss followed by losing a close Civil War game on our home field.

Now, not many of you know much about the Oregon Ducks. The Civil War may not seem all that important to you, but let me tell you, it is the single most important day in the entire year in Oregon. I was so pumped for that game, hoping to salvage the season in to something respectable. Poor coaching lost us that game. There were about 12 seconds left and we were down by 2 points. We tried to rush the kicking team onto the field, rather than spike the ball. Needless to say, we weren't able to get a quality kick off. I still haven't heard the last of it from that game. We went on to dominate USF in the... I forget the bowl. We scored over 50 on them, though. But, that was our year. It was Dixon's year for the Heisman and it was our year to CRUSH Ohio State in the Championship.

Where to start?

Any of the Eagles playoff losses. I don't want to be spammy, but for obvious reasons I've been left very heartbroken. 2001/02 vs the Rams, they were considered the best team in the NFL, and after taking them to OT in week 1, we had the lead on them in the NFCCG and let it slip through our fingers. We were by no means a worse team. Heartbroken.

2002/03 was a little easier to take with the injured Donovan, but then you look at it and see the Raiders team on the other side and you see a Super Bowl you would've won.

The Panthers game was the worst. We didn't show up, the defense was run over, and Todd Pinkston/James Thrash's terrible performances haunted me for months.

But most recently the Cardinals game. We came out, laid a stinker, but then came all the way back on Donovan's shoulders, which epitomized the entire season, and boom goes the dynamite.

I wish I hadn't entered this thread. I'm very lethargic now.

Probably the Stanley Cup Playoffs last year. Caps vs Flyers. 3-3 in the series and Caps have home. It's 2-2 and we're in overtime. We really shouldn't be in overtime because one of the Flyer players legit pushed our goalie out of the way and the other dude scored. Which is not cool and Caps got a goal called back a few games before that FOR that reason. So, that was NOT fair.

Anyway, Caps have the whole City on their feet. The 'Skins suck, the Nationals suck, and the Wizards suck. We all had our minds set on the Caps turning the city around and bringing the Stanley cup to DC. That didn't happen. With 6 minutes left of OT, Flyers scored. Caps got screwed over bigtime.

For some reason, that game killed me. I literally was in tears because they had come so far that year. They went from being the suckiest team in the NHL to being SouthEast Division Champions.

I was quite young when it happened, but the impact of the one event caused changes in my life, the city's life, and the way we look at sports. The heartbreak I talk about happened in the sport we Canadians love the most, and that is hockey. I am sure NSL at this very moment if he is reading this knows of what I am talking about.

Like I said, I was young. I had just turned seven months before this event. My team, the Vancouver Canucks were pulling something miraculous. After being in bottom team entering the playoffs, there was little but a small hope for my team. Being down 3-1 in the first round against a very good Calgary Flames team proved just how bad it had been. But the Canucks never died. They were led by their young Russian star Pavel Bure in games 5 and 6, finally, in game seven, Vancouver blinded everyone, by advancing to the next round.

The momentum of this series led Vancouver to easily take down the Dallas Stars and Toronto Maple Leafs as they strolled into Madison Square Garden to take on the New York Rangers.

The series itself looked familiar to Vancouver. After winning game one, they fell behind in the series and were now facing elimination. However, like with the Flames in round one, the Canucks came back and took the next two to force a Game Seven for the Stanley Cup. The game fell out of hands early for the Canucks, facing a two goal deficit early, but behind their Captain, young Trevor Linden, the hero was able to add two goals to make it a close game. However, the Rangers still led the game 3-2 at this point. However, Richter broke the people of Vancouver's and my hearts as he made some incredible saves and dispatched the Canucks, as the Rangers broke the drought and won the Stanley Cup.

What happened after wards could either be supportive or negative in different people's view. The city of Vancouver erupted as 50,000 people hit the streets in the infamous Vancouver Riots.

[youtube]2Il3UlV2ars[/youtube]

Joe Carter hitting the home run off of Mitch Williams in the 93 World Series. I cried. I loved that Phillies team and would gladly trade the 2008 WS championship for the 1993 one any day. The guys on that 93 team was a great cast of characters.

You want torture? I'll recap my last 2 years of fan-dom. I am a NJ Devils, Green Bay Packers, NY Mets, and Kentucky Wildcats Basketball fan.

The Devils lose game 4 of the 2009 playoffs to the Canes when the Canes score a goal with 0.2 seconds left in regulation. The score had been tied at 3-3, but this goal knotted the series at 2 games apeice. The Devils had been down 3-0 and roared back to tie it. When Brodeur made almost 50 saves to win game 5 and push the Canes one game from elimination, the Canes won game 6 by a score of 4-0. Game 7 in NJ, the Devils were winning 3-2 with a minute remaining, with the best goalie in history in net. The Canes scored twice in the final 60 seconds, winning the game and series 4-3 in one of the most heartbreaking collapses in NHL history.

The Packers, in what would be Favre's last year in Green Bay, dominate in the regular season en route to a division crown and get home-field advantage in the NFC Title Game against the Giants. Of course, with the game in OT, the Pack wins the toss. And the final pass of Favre's career in Green Bay? An interception. Moments later, a game winning field goal ices it for New York, and the best Packers team since 1997 goes home.

The Mets, despite being a first place team for MOST of the last two regular seasons, have choked away the playoffs on the final day of the regular season two straight years now, both times to abysmal teams - the Florida Marlins and Washington Nationals. Both times a "win and you're in" scenario, both times a season ending loss and no playoffs.

And Kentucky Basketball misses its first NCAA Tournament in decades in 2009. Thank God for our new coach!

Joe Carter hitting the home run off of Mitch Williams in the 93 World Series. I cried. I loved that Phillies team and would gladly trade the 2008 WS championship for the 1993 one any day. The guys on that 93 team was a great cast of characters.

One of my favourite memories as a kid:). Watching the World Series with my Uncle Dog wearing my Blue Jays hat. Getting to see the Blue Jays win Back to Back championships. One of your worst memories is one of my best!

I gotta go with the 2005 NBA Finals. My Detroit Pistons had 2 chance to win the series. The first was game 5 when they could have gone up 3-2 and basically locked up the series, but instead Rasheed Wallace thought it would be a good idea to double team Ginobili in the corner and leave Robert fucking Horry wide open for 3 to put the Spurs ahead with a few seconds left.

Then in game 7 the Pistons had the lead going into the 4th quarter and the officials decided to make some calls in the corner that didn't exactly favor Detroit and cost them the game. Denying the Pistons of their repeat.

Im a Boston sports fan, so you know where I'm going. The Patriots losing to the Giants. It wouldn't have been so bad if all my friends weren't Giants fans. It was brutal, but I got over it in like an hour, since they had already won a few. Plus, they may go back this year. But they were down, so I sort of saw it coming. With Baseball and basketball, theres always the chance of a last second shot, or a walk-off. The most devastating thing I ever saw was game 7 of the 2003 ALCS, when Arron Boone hit the walk off homer. There was so much much hope, and we had gotten so far, then boom!, in an instant its gone. That was tough.

I got 2 words for you: Scotty Reynolds. This was the year that Pitt had enough talent to finally make it to the Final Four. Levance Fields and Sam Young were both Seniors and playing great. DeJuan Blair was a beast inside. We had a legitimate chance at a national title.

In the Elite 8 we're facing a Villanova team that we're clearly better than. It takes a minor miracle for Levance Fields to tie it with 2 free throws, but we let Reynolds get behind us on the inbound play with 3 seconds left and he hits a shot at the buzzer. That was just brutal.

To make it worst, we lost 4 starters, including Big East Player of the Year Dejuan Blair, so we may not have another oppurtunity like this for awhile.

Everytime England got knocked out of a football tournament pre 1998, after 1998 I came to realise that we are an overhyped mess when it comes to international football, also I got older. It's still annoying, just I am used to it.

The reason for this is I dont give a fuck who wins and loses in club football, never have, never will. I watch it, I watch as many games as I can, I love it, I just dont support any teams. England on the other hand I do support, because I am English and it would be rude not to, that and the World Cup only comes around every 4 years so it's a long old wait to lose again.

Being born and bred in Pittsburgh, the 90's were a tough time to be a Pittsburgh sports fan.

I still remeber crying for hours after Atlanta Braves pinch hitter, Francisco Cabrera lined a single to left field and Sid Bream managed to score from second base with a bum hip and send the Pirates home in the National League Championship Series. I still say Mike Lavalliere blocked the plate and Barry Bonds' throw nailed him.

Then, I tell Cleveland Browns fans all the time that it is much tougher to watch your team lose a Super Bowl then to never experience it at all. Watching Neil O'Donnell throw SB 30 to the Cowboys was a sinking feeling. But after our last two rings, it doesn't hurt quite as bad anymore.

In all honesty, I would give my left nut for the Pirates to go to the World Series. I love the Stillers, but baseball is the greatest game ever played !!

On a happier note -- FUCKING GO PENGUINS !!!!!!!! BEAT THE RED WINGS !!!!!!!!

Reactions: gd
Seeing Chauncey Billups be his inconsistent self when it mattered most reminded me of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals.

In my first post, I share the love I have for Chris Webber. Well, the year after he was cheated in the 2002 Western Conference Finals, he had 34 points going into the 4th Quarter against the Dallas Mavericks in Game 2 of the Semi-Western Conference Finals. And, well, any one who was following saw him go up for an Alley Hoop, but instead of jumping off the ground, he just fell onto the floor. He suffered a knee injury that would require microfracture surgery, the type of surgery that ruined the careers of Penny Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn, and Allen Houston. However, even with just one leg practically, Webber remained a 20-10 guy. But he was still nowhere near as good as he was in 2002 and before.

Anyway, with Webber's injury, the Kings just can't get over the hump. They trade Webber to the Sixers, who actually had a pretty good team at the time. But in his first year there, they lost to the Detroit Pistons in the first round of the playoffs. The Sixers played great, but Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince just would not fucking miss (keep this in mind). The next year, the Sixers fail to make the playoffs under new head coach Maurice Cheeks (he seems like a nice enough guy, but he’s a terrible NBA coach). The season after that, Iverson gets traded very early on and the Sixers get off to a horrible start. Webber, knowing his days were numbered, wanted out of his contract so he could go to a contender. And the Sixers granted him his wish. Webber got released, and went on to sign with the Detroit Pistons.

All season long, the Pistons played fantastically with Webber. They ended up being the first seed in the playoffs, and I just knew this was going to be the year Webber would finally get his championship. But fuck was I wrong.

In the first round, Detroit swept a very good Orlando Magic team. So, great start. In the second round, they go up 3-0 on the Chicago Bulls. But then, something fucking happened. I don't know what, but Billups and Tayshaun Prince went on the worst run I've ever seen two really good players ever go on. The Pistons would drop 2 straight to the Bulls because of this, and would win Game 6 due to the Bulls just playing like shit.

Now, the Pistons would play the Cleveland Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference Finals. The Pistons won the first two games at home in some of the worst basketball ever played in a Conference Final. Both games were really fucking sloppy, and the Pistons were very fortunate to get the two wins. Sheed, Hamilton, and Webber were all doing their parts, but Billups and Prince just could not get out of their funk. But since Cleveland played like absolute trash, the Pistons were able to take care of business at home. However, on the road... that would not be the case. They drop 2 straight on the road, with once again, Tayshaun and Billups playing like crap. And come game 5... well, we all know what happened there. While LeBron did indeed put on one of the greatest performances in NBA Playoff history, he should've thanked Flip Saunders after the game for letting him put on that performance. The fact of the matter is, after LeBron hits a couple of shots in a row, it's time to fucking double team him. But for whatever reason, Flip kept the defense man-to-man and LeBron fucked over Tayshaun to score 25 straight points for his team.

And in Game 6, it was Boobie Gibson who was killing up with WIDE OPEN threes all day fucking long. And who was leaving him wide open you say? Chauncey Billups, that’s who. So not only was this motherfucker not hitting his shots on the Offensive end, he quit playing defense, too.

And I saw the same thing tonight against the Lakers. I like Chauncey Billups, I really do... but after the 2004 Championship, the dude has lost his fire. I hear the announcers constantly say how he's such a great leader and that he gets on his teammates when they make a mistake like he's the coach... well, he needs to start getting on himfuckingself. For 3 straight years now he has choked in the Conference Finals. What...the...fuck? He is too talented to play like such a bitch. He can post up ANY point guard in the league, and he can get to the basket whenever he wants to, but he settles for fucking threes all days long, even when he's missing them. It pisses me off and him pulling that shit these last two games reminded me of the heartbreak of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals where Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince cost my favorite player of all time a shot to get to the finals due their shitty play.

One of my favourite memories as a kid:). Watching the World Series with my Uncle Dog wearing my Blue Jays hat. Getting to see the Blue Jays win Back to Back championships. One of your worst memories is one of my best!

TM.....*shakes head*.....I am gonna side with CowboyFromHell on this one. I am not a Phillies fan (I'm an Orioles fan, as if that's not heartbreaking enough), however, the '93 captured my heart. I'm live in the Philadelphia area so they were on just about every night of the week. Mitch Williams was the center of my attention. In fact, he inspired me to be a pitcher (I was always a 2nd baseman). Watching Joe Carter hit that homerun was devistating. I cried. To this day, I still feel sadness for Mitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back