Mosh or "Hardcore Dance"

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Which do you prefer to do? I'd go into explainging each, but I don't know how to describe "hxc dancing" without calling them a bunch of emo **** that need a hug from momm punching the ground.

If you can't tell by now, I'm more of a mosher, if I get in the pit at all. At most shows, I like to enjoy myself, and just kind of dance on my own, and headbang like crazy. If I get in the pit, I'm pretty old school. I'll mosh, get tossed around, and have fun. If someone falls down, you help them up. It's not about hurting someone, it's about having fun.

In a pit where people are "hardcore dancing", I'll go in, just so I can run over people much smaller than myself, and laugh at them as they cry. The point of those is just to pretend you know kung fu, while doing little more than re-creating the 3a infomercials for Billy Blanks.

Why did I make this thread? I'm bored. There's nothing else going on around here, and I wanted a chance to laugh at "hardcore dancers".

Well, when I am at a show I do a bit of both. I could take it offensivley when you call hardcore dancers or as I know them "slam dancers" emo ****. I really don't think that comment was needed. Hardcore dancing is mostly a way of getting into the music in a non-violent way.

I can see however how a lot of people have a dislike for hardcore dancers. I remember a while back about 3 years ago when I went to my first show I found the "slam dancers" to pretty much be ignorant assholes. I would be towards the front standing at the edge of the open pit. I found it annoying that they got in the way of the music you were trying to avoid, and that you had to constantly watch out for their fists flying about in the air. However, over time as I went to more shows, I started getting involved in what they were doing. Most shows I go to around my area have a lack of moshing for whatever reason, "slam dancing" is by far more common so I got involved. Overall, I like moshing better, but theres the lack of it.

And just wondering NSL, what kind of shows do you usually go to?

Hardcore dancing is mostly a way of getting into the music in a non-violent way.

I'll apologize for the comment, and also :lmao: at that one. Please find me a video of people hardcore dancing, that isn't violent.

And just wondering NSL, what kind of shows do you usually go to?

I go to rock/metal shows. Lamb Of God, Five Finger Death Punch, Bury Your Dead, Rob Zombie, and such. I've been to close to 100 shows, and I'd say the last 90 have been marred with "hardcore dancing". At MayhemFest last year, Suicide Silence was on stage, and must've asked for an old school circle pit about 20 times. Not once did anyone look like they had a clue what they were talking about. So, they went about flailing their fists, trying to perform spinkicks, and generally bashing each other in the face.

When I go to a show, and want to get in the pit, I want to have fun. I'm not going so I can take part in an MMA fight.

I think we may just be thinking of two different kinds of hardcore dancing then. At least, in the type of shows I go to (Hardcore punk/Punk) hardcore dancing is intended to be non-violent.

Here's a video, you can see in it that the hardcore dancers do not make any physical contact with eachother, which I think is non-violent.

[youtube]XMS3Q-HuaAk[/youtube]

Which do you prefer to do? I'd go into explainging each, but I don't know how to describe "hxc dancing" without calling them a bunch of emo **** that need a hug from momm punching the ground.

If you can't tell by now, I'm more of a mosher, if I get in the pit at all. At most shows, I like to enjoy myself, and just kind of dance on my own, and headbang like crazy. If I get in the pit, I'm pretty old school. I'll mosh, get tossed around, and have fun. If someone falls down, you help them up. It's not about hurting someone, it's about having fun.

In a pit where people are "hardcore dancing", I'll go in, just so I can run over people much smaller than myself, and laugh at them as they cry. The point of those is just to pretend you know kung fu, while doing little more than re-creating the 3a infomercials for Billy Blanks.

Why did I make this thread? I'm bored. There's nothing else going on around here, and I wanted a chance to laugh at "hardcore dancers".

Right on my man. I prefer the older style moshing. I hate all this "look at me I'm a ninja" stuff that goes on these days. Like any scene that has been around for so long, it all become a sort of self-parody. Anyone remember the really old days of "slam dancing" and "pogo-ing"

Few years back, I sometimes worked security type duty and on a case by case basis stopped the shit before it started. Too many times it would breed enough stupidity as to cause real fights.

I prefer hardcore dancing at shows. Why? I don't know, I just find it more fun to do and to watch than normal moshing. At a lot of the shows I go to, people who mosh usually get beat down. I would rather hardcore dance and have a chance of getting hit, than mosh and know I'm going to get hit. I've never gotten hurt hardcore dancing, but I have by people moshing. People who dance keep it in an organized space and they clear out the part of the floor they're going to use. Moshers just start pushing each other and it carries over into other parts of the crowd who do not want to take part in it.

And in response to someone who said a band asked for a circle pit and nobody knew what it was, were those kids idiots? The name describes what to do.

moshing in a massive group or slam dancing in an equally massive circle pit... why not both? :D

brisbane soundwave 09 = best day ever

In Flames: mosh
DevilDriver: circle pit
36 CrazyFists: WALL OF DEATH!!! >_<

its all good as long as you bring your Mosh Manners. Someone falls down? Help them the fuck up... not hard

but overall... I'M THE DEVIL, I LOVE METAL! \,,/ (>_<) \,,/

moshing in a massive group or slam dancing in an equally massive circle pit... why not both? :D

brisbane soundwave 09 = best day ever

In Flames: mosh
DevilDriver: circle pit
36 CrazyFists: WALL OF DEATH!!! >_<

its all good as long as you bring your Mosh Manners. Someone falls down? Help them the fuck up... not hard

but overall... I'M THE DEVIL, I LOVE METAL! \,,/ (>_<) \,,/

First, mosh pit manners. This is exactly what I mean. Most people forget these, and that's how people get trampled, and end up with broken bones and fights break out, and then security kills the party. Mosh pits are extremely safe, if people just remember that they're there to have a good time, not hurt someone.

As far as 36 Crazyfists' Wall of Death, it must've been epic. I've seen them twice, and both times it got crazy. The first time was in a small club, and the Wall Of Death scared security right out of the pit :lmao:

The second one was at Ozzfest, and security was in on it. There's a video somewhere, where you can see yellow shirts running with the crowd.

Okay, I will definitely get heat for this one. But Hardcore dancing loses friggin ridiculous, and is just plain stupid to me.

Moshing has been around forever, and is probrably just as annoying. When I go to a show, Im there for the performers, NOT to get a black eye by some teeny bopper with aggression issues.

I think depending on where you are, Moshing is very appropriate. At a Slayer concert, Yes, At buckethead (Which I have been to) NO

It ruins shows, and now is not a freedom of expression anymore, Its just cliched.

There's really no difference whatsoever between "moshing" and "hardcore dancing". They're both just fancy terms for slamdancing, or as it was originally called the "HB Strut" (Huntington Beach, huge punk scene that spawned moshing/slamdancing in the early 80s). Infact, to actually differentiate the two and make fun of the one while adhering to the other is pretty idiotic.

The moshing/slamdancing I do usually ends up with me tired as a motherfucker within half an hour and in dire, dire need of a Jack & Coke. Nothing like the manic moshing that takes place at a hardcore punk show, not even death metal can rival the energy and insanity that takes place in those pits. I've seen 12 year old kids thrown across the floor and 7 foot tall body buildings on their knees clutching their bloody faces. It's always worth it though, every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back