MMA June - Ain't That 'Bout a Fitch

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Calendar
Literally Something UFC Related Everyday on FuelTV if you have it.

6/8 - UFC on Fuel - Nogueira vs. Werdum II
6/14 - WSOF 3 - Fitch vs. Burkman II
6/15 - UFC 161 - Barao vs. Wineland
6/19 - Bellator 96 - Chandler vs. Jansen

Essential Websites:
http://www.mma.ly
http://www.ufc.com

Visit At Your Own Peril:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.sherdog.net
The Underground

Useful Links:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com

Noteworthy/Discussion Topics:
  • Shane Carwin has retired.
  • Forrest Griffin has retired.
  • Pat Healy is an idiot.
  • Nate Diaz is an idiot.
  • Brian Caraway is also an idiot, and a woman beater.
  • Cat Zingano out of TUF 18 with a torn ACL, Miesha Tate in, and will get armbarred again when it's all said and done.
  • Josh Barnett vs. Frank Mir will be awesome.
  • TJ Grant is a stone cold killer.

UFC 161 just got a whole hell of a lot more interesting... Lil' Nog is out against Shogun due to injury, and CHAEL SONNEN is in!

Shogun's not what he once was, but he's still Shogun Rua, an all time top 5 favorite of mine. I've come to like Chael, but I'm wishing Shogun nothing but the best for this fight and I do think he stands a good chance in beating him. While it's commendable for Chael to take this fight on short notice, I think he's going to regret it.

I was not going to buy UFC 161 because the card was rather average. It's all changed now and they can take all my money because Chael Sonnen is on the card. I'm excited to see Shogun and Sonnen fight because both guys need a win. It should be a fun fight between two big name fighters and hopefully Chael Sonnen can pull off a victory.

Go Chael!

EDIT: It appears that Machida is out of the title picture once again and he'll instead fight Phil Davis. Could this mean that Jones vs. Gustafsson is on the horizon and will be the next fight to happen? I sure hope so! Much more exciting fight than the rematch with Machida. Things are looking up around the UFC today.

To be honest, I had fallen out of love with the UFC over the last year or so since and haven't really been committing myself to siting down and watching anything produced from the company. That was until a couple of weeks ago when I inadvertently happened across UFC 160 and gave it some of my time. Truth be told, I thought it was an excellent event that had everything; great submissions, brutal knockouts and some quality matches. What's more, it made me realize how much I actually missed this company.

So I had every intention of watching UFC 161 anyway. But to say that I was excited would be a little beyond reality.

However, now that Chael Sonnen is on the card, I really have found a reason to watch the event. I like a lot of the names on the card too but, truth be told, I don't recognize many of them due to my sabbatical from the company and the sport. That said, it still looks like a good card that will make for good viewing (I hope).

The two main events of the show look really interesting and, in my eyes, could go either way. I just can't see past Rua on such short notice. Really admirable for Chael to step in though. It just shows you how willing he is to get in the octagon. He really is a good example of how if you make yourself available, big things will happen for you.

UFC 161 just got a whole hell of a lot more interesting... Lil' Nog is out against Shogun due to injury, and CHAEL SONNEN is in!

Shogun's not what he once was, but he's still Shogun Rua, an all time top 5 favorite of mine. I've come to like Chael, but I'm wishing Shogun nothing but the best for this fight and I do think he stands a good chance in beating him. While it's commendable for Chael to take this fight on short notice, I think he's going to regret it.

Shogun is screwed. He's been preparing for a striker the entire time. Sonnen represents a much more dangerous challenge for Shogun and I don't think Shogun is going to be able to deal with the pressure. Sonnen is an excellent fighter who would be champion in either division if Silva or Jones didn't exist. Shogun gasses pretty easily, and his BJJ isn't good enough to pose a challenge to Chael. Furthermore, his knees probably won't allow him to throw up a triangle anyway.

Sonnen by decision.

Well, Chael couldn't get a work visa due to being a felon. So Sonnen vs. Shogun is off. It is my gain though as rumor has it that fight will get moved to the Boston card.

Big Country vs. Stipe Miocic is your new co-main event for UFC 161. LOL.

Yeah...

I'd like to say sorry to the UFC at this time for promising them my money but now I will be taking that offer back. Without Chael and Shogun on the card I have no interest in watching it. I love to watch Hendo fight but after his last fight I don't feel like throwing down $44 to watch him main event.

I love that the Sonnen/Shogun fight is still on though. The main concern I have about the Boston rumour is that Chael was already confirmed to be in the studio doing the post fight show. I'm sure Dana would have no problem pulling Chael from that and throwing in Rashad as he usually covers for Sonnen anyway. Should be an interesting couple of days for the fans and hopefully this gets sorted and Shogun vs. Sonnen is made official for UFC on Fox Sports 1.

Sonnen vs. Shogun is OFFICIAL for UFC on Fox Sports 1, in Boston. Another fighter I really like, Urijah Faber, is also booked vs. Yuri Alcantara.

This is the pinnacle for me as an MMA fan, with my favorite fighter fighting on a card I'll be buying tickets to next week. I really, really hope we get Jones vs. Gustafsson. I wouldn't mind seeing Bendo vs. Grant, but, Dana promised that this would be the biggest TV card he's ever put on, and I don't think Bendo/Grant is a bigger fight than Bendo/Melendez.

Edit: Sonnen vs. Shogun will be the main event. Another awesome fight - Michael McDonald vs. Brad Pickett has been booked for the card.

Lastly, BJ Penn wants to return to the Octagon at 155. IF his head is on straight, I think he could still make a run.

Finally a fight that Chael Sonnen can win has arrived and it could not come at a better time. I was pumped to see the debut on the new channel before but now it's going to be huge. Chael Sonnen vs. Shogun in the main event is going to be awesome. Chael sells tickets and the event is going to be huge. It's free so that's a huge plus and Chael should get a win.

It's been a hard year for me as all my favourites have lost but things will picked up once Chael and Shogun go one on one inside the cage. So excited for this fight and I can't wait to see the event.

Great show tonight.

I really wish the UFC wasn't so quick to make Cain vs. JDS 3. I think Werdum is far more deserving and a much more intriguing match-up for Cain than JDS is. I know Nog is passed his prime, but he's still a very good HW and Werdum beat him in every aspect tonight... on the feet, and then tapped his ass out on the ground. It was very impressive.

Feijao may have the worst gas tank I've ever seen. Dude looked awesome the first minute of the fight, but then gassed and Thiago took full advantage of it. It was absolutely pathetic.

And Erick fucking Silva. Man, what a performance. Very much forward to seeing more of him. I would LOVE to see Erick Silva vs. Rory MacDonald next.

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson booked for UFC 165 on Sept. 21 in Toronto!

WOW! This is so much better than Jones fighting Machida again. I can't wait to see these guys fight as I'm sure it'll be exciting and that Alexander can give Jones a challenge. So happy that this fight was announced because the idea of Machida going for the belt again wasn't high on my wish list.

Cain Velasquez vs. Junior dos Santos 3 trilogy fight porbably taking place at UFC 166 in October. I very excited to see this fight as I'm a fan of both of these fighters. The two other times they have fought have been very exciting and I expect much of the same here.

Georges St. Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks title fight targeted for November. Another major title fight and I can't wait for GSP to beat Hendricks.

Jose Aldo vs. Korean Zombie is the fight I wanted all along. I'm way more excited for this than the Pettis fight. Pettis vs. Aldo should happen when Aldo moves up to 155. It was lame as fuck for Pettis to go down to 145 for one title fight and then abandon the division all together, win or lose. I strongly believe we'll still get Aldo/Pettis in the future, but this may have been our only shot to get KZ/Aldo. Can't wait! WAR Zombie!!!

For those of you who didn't stay up last night to watch Jon Fitch's first fight since being cut from the UFC, here it is. I will post my reaction to it down below so not to spoil it for you...

[YOUTUBE]uzoj-GxWC68[/YOUTUBE]

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I guess Jon Fitch IS submittable, eh? Haha... this guy now belongs in the "Worst chins in MMA" category. He barely got tapped and he was lights out basically. He's already crying for a rematch, and I'm sure if Burkman doesn't go to the UFC, he'll get one. But, I think the UFC should snag Burkman away while he's on such a hot streak. 5 wins in a row and beating Fitch like it was nothing... very impressive.

A few thoughts:

1.) Requesting thread title change to "Ain't That 'Bout a Fitch"

2.) Mazzagatti might be the worst ref in MMA. Good on Burkman to recognize that Fitch was asleep. Most guys would have held on until the ref broke it up and that had the potential to get real ugly.

3.) How about Burkman becoming a competent fighter again? He's 8-1 in his last nine, and has three legit wins in a row, taking out Gerald Harris, Aaron Simpson, and now Fitch. The only loss during that time was to Jordan Mein, who is a pretty good fighter. Furthermore, he was able to do something not even Demian Maia and BJ Penn could do, and submit Fitch, who left the UFC with the greatest submission defense in the company's history.

4.) Burkman's career resurgence is even more improbable than Cub Swanson's current run.

5.) Fitch's steep decline is as depressing as Chuck Liddell's was.

Told you guys not to sleep on Stipe, good shit from him. I'd like to see what he can do against someone who's been making noise in the Heavyweight division now. I know when I saw his stuff from Naafs he was pretty good, and he did great last night. But he needs another test.

Well, I was pulling for Hendo but knew if he couldn't detonate the H-Bomb in the first round then the fight would suck and Rashad would pick up the win. He's one of my favorites but Hendo might be done. His gameplan has devolved into trying to land the H-Bomb and gassing himself out, badly.

Rashad's back in the picture, but who cares?

Big ups to Stipe Miocic. Nobody gave him a shot and he dominated Nelson from beginning to end. Nelson basically is a fat version of Hendo and if you institute the right gameplan, he's very beatable. Once again, Nelson must have taken 100+ shots to the head in a major loss. Nelson only loses to top guys, which begs the question: Is Miocic a top guy and was the Struve loss a fluke, or was this just a really bad night for Big Country? Anyway, too bad for him, with a win he would have gotten that new contract he turned down and would have maybe been one fight away from a title shot. Right now he's a free agent and to be honest, I could see him making the jump to Bellator as it's clear he'll never be a UFC Champion.

That's all I really saw from the card. The rest seems like it's not worth going out of my way to watch. Let's forget this card happened and let's look forward to UFC 162 and the crowning of a new champion.

Awful show overall. It was every bit as bad as it looked on paper.

I'm happy Jake Shields won, even if it was boring as shit. I thought the decision was fair, too.

Pat Barry vs. Shawn Jordan was a disgrace. Pat Barry just does not show up to fight whenever he's in there with someone he's friends with or admires. I hope Shawn Jordan continues to improve, though. LSU!!

The chick fight was beyond awful. Holy shit.

Igor fought like a pussy but Jimmo should be ashamed of his performance. He had Igor beat in the 2nd but instead of letting the guy back up so he could finish him off, Jimmo just went to the ground and laid on top of him for the rest of the fight. It was mind-boggling.

Roy Nelson was exposed, badly. Just circle to your right and you'll be fine against him. Pathetic showing from Roy. Stipe gave a good performance but I still don't think he's going to wind up being anything special.

And Hendo/Rashad was meh. Hendo couldn't land the big right and Rashad picked his shots carefully throughout the whole fight, as expected. It was nothing special. I would have liked to have seen the fight scored a draw myself, but I wouldn't have bitched with either guy winning.

Lastly, after last night's result I would like to see Hendo vs. Wandy 3 next.

I'm on board with that as long as it is a retirement fight for both guys.

Lol... you know it'd be more of a "Loser Leaves Town" match. You know hardly any MMA fighter can retire with a win. Chris Lytle and Fedor are the only two I can think of right now, and even they can return at any time.

Lol... you know it'd be more of a "Loser Leaves Town" match. You know hardly any MMA fighter can retire with a win. Chris Lytle and Fedor are the only two I can think of right now, and even they can return at any time.

Absolutely. Whenever they pick up a win it just ends up serving as a confidence booster; fighters cling to what little bit of juice they have in the tank until they lose decisively, most of the time. Even then, you have guys like BJ Penn, who still wants to fight, and Chuck Liddell, who basically had to be forced out -- fighters don't know when to quit.

I'm actually more shocked that Forrest ultimately retired with a win, though it was not by choice.

I always figured he would have gone out being hilariously KO'ed by Glover Teixiera or Hendo.

I hate to see him go, dude had always been my favorite, but I'm glad he went out on a win. You are right though, I expected him to get KOed silly and then retire. Both Lytle and Forrest were two of my all times favorites and both went out with a W. I really do hope that Lytle doesn't come out of retirement for the Indiana card. As much as I would love to see him fight live, I don't want to see him lose.

Here is something I was thinking about. With Mir scheduled to face Barnett at 164, any chance he gets cut with a loss? It would be a third straight loss and he has one of the higher salaries in the company.

Nah, Mir is a UFC lifer. It seems a lot of guys are safe these days after three or even four losses in a row.

However, I do think that if Mir loses to Barnett, that Dana will have "the talk" with him, like he talks about having with BJ, Forrest, Wandy, etc... and be "encouraged" to walk away with a cushy administrative job like Chuck and Matt Hughes have.

I think they will put him behind the booth. He is a very knowledgeable guy and he has expressed interest in being a commentator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back