• Anderson Silva

• Georges St. Pierre

• Demetrious Johnson

• Johny Hendricks

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
2012 is coming to a close. And despite all the injuries that occurred, forcing the cancellation of many fights, we were still given some great fights and treated to some great performances.

Which fighter this year put on the all-around best performance and stood above the rest?

Here are 9 choices. The 10th position on the poll will be reserved for "Other".

1.) Ronda Rousey

Ronda Rousey had a meteoric rise in 2012. In Rousey, women's MMA has a true personality who is also extremely attractive and has world class credentials. In 2012, she had a feud with Miesha Tate over the Strikeforce Women's Bantamweight Title that turned personal. In a Fight of the Year candidate, she submitted Tate via armbar in the first round. She went on to finish former champion Sarah Kaufman, again, via armbar, in under a minute. Pure domination by Rousey in 2012.

2.) Benson Henderson

In February, Bendo captured the Lightweight Championship from Frankie Edgar in a close fight. He then dispatched of "Frankie Two-Times" again later on in the year, in another extremely close fight. People thought Henderson was skating by as his third fight of the year against Nate Diaz drew near. Bendo saved the best for last as he put on an absolutely dominant performance against Diaz. He closed out 2012 with an extremely impressive 3-0 in the UFC's deepest division.

3.) Cain Velasquez

Cain rebounded from a devastating first round KO by Junior Dos Santos in a big way at UFC 146 by dominating Bigfoot Silva to the point where it looked like a murder had occurred in the Octagon with all of the blood he lost. Velasquez earned another shot against Junior Dos Santos and absolutely dominated for all five rounds, regaining the Heavyweight Championship. They say a picture says a thousand words. Well, here you go.

jdsface.gif

4.) Jon Jones

With the controversy surrounding the events of UFC 151, plus the controversy surrounding the drunk driving incident, it's hard to forget that Jon Jones again, had a very good year professionally. In April, he ended his extremely personal feud with Rashad Evans with a dominant performance. In September, he took on Vitor Belfort. Vitor almost submitted Jones in the first round. It was the first time Jones truly faced adversity in the Octagon. Jones was extremely resilient and came back to finish him with an Americana in the fourth.

5.) Renan Barao

He defeated an extremely tough Scott Jorgensen at UFC 143. He then took his 29 fight win-streak to Calgary against Urijah Faber for the Interim Bantamweight Title. Faber had nothing for Barao, who ended 2012 as the Interim Bantamweight Champion, and he stands alone at the top of the division with Dominick Cruz out until the end of 2013.

6.) Anderson Silva

Silva ended the feud with Chael Sonnen once and for all with a vicious knockout at UFC 148. He then saved UFC 153 as the card fell apart with injuries and took on Stephan Bonnar at Light Heavyweight. He retired Bonnar after a devastating knee to the solo-plexus. He ended 2012 by signing an unprecedented 10 fight extension with the UFC.

7.) Georges St. Pierre

He came back from a torn ACL and did not miss a beat against Carlos Condit, absolutely dominating him for five rounds. GSP is back.

8.) Demetrious Johnson

Mighty Mouse fought Ian McCall to a draw to begin his year, but there wasn't any question who won the second fight as he absolutely dominated en route to a decision win. He moved on to the finals of the Flyweight Championship Tournament and he defeated Joseph Benavidez in an extremely close bout.

9.) Johny Hendricks

If you go back to December 30, 2011, that is when Hendricks disposed of the notoriously difficult to finish Jon Fitch in 12 seconds. He went on to defeat Josh Koscheck via decision, and then he defeated Martin Kampmann in 46 seconds. That's three Top 5 Light Heavyweights he's defeated this year.

While I'm not a huge follower of MMA, I'll go with GSP. Returning from a torn ACL is no small feat, and doing so in a dominating fashion in front of the home town fans makes it even more special. Sure, he missed a lot of time this year, but he certainly made the most of what time he was around for.

I'm picking Cain.

That was an absolutely brutal beatdown that he gave Bigfoot Silva, who is an extremely tough opponent and definitely not a slouch.

He then went on to destroy Junior Dos Santos, who looked unbeatable. The same guy who he lost to in just over a minute 13 months ago. Velasquez was absolutely dominant in both of his fights this year and he brutalized his opponents, looking like a man possessed.

I have to go with Benson Henderson.

Two wins over Frankie Edgar and a complete domination victory over Nate Diaz. People can bitch all they want about his wins over Edgar being controversial decisions, but they're two wins regardless and it was against a guy who was steam rolling over everyone else in the division and considered a top 5 pound for pound fighter in the World. And the dominance over Nate Diaz was simply awe-inspiring and something many people never saw coming, including myself. Not to mention Bendo did all of this with a TOOTHPICK in his mouth, lol.

Bendo was just unreal this year, and I see 2013 even being better for him.

I've got to go Bendo as well. I wanted to give it to Cain for turning JDS into Sloth over the course of 25 minutes, but Bendo was at the top of his game all year. He beats Edgar in a good, close fight, but one he did win. Frankie got a rematch I feel he didn't deserve, but Ben won again, this time in a more convincing fashion. Then he dominated Nate for 25 minutes. I expected him to win, but not in such easy fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back