MLB Predictions Contest and Discussion

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Major League Baseball - Playoff Predictions Contest

The MLB playoffs are set to start this Wednesday after a crazy, down to the wire regular season. This thread is where we can discuss the playoffs and make predictions, as well as having a little fun.

The predictions contest will be limited to 10 participants. To sign up, there is a thread in the GSD.

To play, here's what you do:

Each round, predict who will win each series and in how many games. Please give an explanation as to why each team will win or what your prediction for the series is. Non-spam, of course. Example:

Yankees over Twins in 5 games. The Yankees seem to own the Twins, though the gap this year is closed. The Yanks can run CC Sabbathia out twice, but the rest of their rotation is suspect. They still have the best October closer in history with Mo Rivera, though, so the Yanks should survive in 5.

You must predict ALL series to play the game.

If you are correct with the team who wins, you earn a maximum of 5 points. For each game you are off in terms of the # of games it takes, you lose 1 point. For example, if you predict "Reds win in 4" and they win in 5, you get 4 points (5 -1 = 4). So in the later rounds, if you predict a sweep and it goes 7, you get 2 points. You get no points for predicitng the wrong team winning.

We will ask the participants to post each round. You must post predictions by the start of the 1st game for that round.

Good luck and have fun!

NLDS

Philadelphia Phillies defeat Cincinnati Reds in 3 games.

Reason: Reds have been the surprise team, but they run into the best team in the NL. The Phillies hold the advantage in my mind over the Reds in terms of pitching, hitting, and managering. The Phils have arguably the best 1-2-3 punch at the top of the rotation in H2O. It is a shame to see a Cinderella team like the Reds eliminated so quickly, but the Phillies have the experience and are looking for their 2nd WS win in 3 years.

San Francisco Giants defeat Atlanta Braves in 4 games.

Reason: Both teams need wins their last game to get in and they got it. Now they square off. Pitching is going to be the thing here. Giants were hot coming into the final series against the Padres, but cooled down. They got in and that is all that matters. Lincy, Cain, Sanchez vs. Lowe, Hudson, Hanson, pitching is obviously going to be the story in this series. The Braves offense is better, but I like the Giants staff to get it done and move on to the NLCS.

ALDS

Tampa Bay Rays defeat Texas Rangers in 4 games

Reason: The beginning of the year it seemed like people were sleeping on the Rays for the Sox or the Yanks, but they find themselves in the playoffs yet again as the AL East champs. Should be a good series full of offense, as these two can hit with anyone. In the end I gave it to the team with the better staff in my mind and that is the Tampa Bay Rays. Experience helps as well, as the Rays look to finally capture a WS victory.

Minnesota Twins defeat New York Yankees in 5 games

Reason: The Yanks have the Twins number in the playoffs, but the Twins have a new ballpark and the number has changed (lame joke). So the Yanks will be calling a non-existent number and the Twins finally get that series win over the Yanks. This will probably be the best series of the 4 and be filled with good pitching and good offenses. The question is which one will give? I like the Twins just a little bit more than the Bombers this year and that is why I'm picking them to go on to the ALCS in a full series.

Braves over Giants, 5 games

In the playoffs, I don't think you can overestimate the power of a veteran presence. The Giants lack that severely, whereas the Braves have playoff-tested guys like Chipper Jones and manager Bobby Cox. Plus, I think the Braves come in with built-in motivation to "go out a winner" for their retiring manager. The Giants have SICK young pitching - I worry about nerves and inexperience in the playoffs.

Phillies over Reds, 4 games

I'm with Theo in almost everything he said, though I can totally see the Reds getting to the 8th inning of a 0-0 game, having the starters both out of the game, and using the timely hitting of guys like Joey Votto to scratch out a 2-1 or 2-0 win. Overall, however, the Phils pitching and experience is WAY too much for the Reds to handle.

Yankees over Twins, 5 games

I explained why in my opening. The Twins are one of those teams that just cannot solve the Yankees, and there's nothing on the Twins that makes me think this is the year of the breakout. I love the Twins - Kirby Puckett is among my all time favorite players. I also hate the Yankees. But CC is nasty and Jeter is too experienced. Plus, the playoff monkey is off A-Rod's back and he's more relaxed than ever.

Rays over Rangers, 4 games

I like the Rangers. I LOVE the Rays. The pitching is so deep, they aren't one of those teams worried about running an ace out on short rest. The Rangers live and die with Cliff Lee, and probably get a CG win with him in game 1. From there, gotta hand it to the Rays, because it's timely hitting and deep pitching that wins in the playoffs. Rays have both.

Phillies over Reds in 4 games

The Phils are just the superior team top to bottom. I think Cincy can sneak in 1 game but no more then that.

Braves over Giants in 5 games

The Giants have the better pitching staff and probably the better overall team but like IC said the Braves have the experience. This is Bobby Cox's last go around and I say them pulling off the win in a close series.

Rays over Rangers in 4 games

The Rangers have a good team, the Rays are just better. Tampa struggled a bit late in the season but they won their last 2 in the regular season to clinch the top spot in the AL. Josh Hamilton has just returned for the Rangers but it won't be enough.

Yankees over Twins in 4 games

The Twins will sneak in one win but the Yankees have always given the Twins trouble and that won't change this year with Morneau out and Mauer coming off an injury that saw him miss 9 of the last 13 games for the Twins.

Braves over Giants in 5 Games,

I think that the Braves match up well with the Giants in the Starting Pitchers aspect but I would a give a slight edge to the Giants Staff. Offensively I think the Braves definitely have the edge here over the Giants. I think a key aspect of the series will be the Managing and the Veteran Experiencing of a Braves team lead by one of the best managers of all time Bobby Cox.

Phillies over the Reds in 4 Games

The Phillies are The Class of The NL and the favorites to make it to the World Series. The have the Best Rotation in The NL with Halladay, Oswalt, and Hammels and also The Best Lineup in The NL.

Yankees over Twins in 5 Games

Historically the Yankees have fared very well in the Post Season and I think that continues this Year. Yankees have been struggling in September but I think they are two good to Lose to the Twins. The Yankees have the Edge in Starting Pitching, Bullpen led by the Greatest Closer of All Time Mariano Rivera gives the the a Huge edge over the Twins, and the Yankees Offense is better two.

Rays over Rangers in 4 Games

The Rays are Really Deep when It comes to Pitching where as the Rangers only have Lee. Both teams are good Offensively but I think that the Pitching match ups favor The Rays and the Rays have a Clutch Hitting which will carry them in this series.

Phillies over the Red Legs in 5 games. I've seen first hand what this Cincy ball club can do, but with that said I've seen the Phils too. With Cincy lacking in the starting pitching department I can't see them taking this series.

Giants over the Braves in 5. Giants have the pitching and the Braves are lead by a rookie. It will be a sad day when the final out is called for Bobby Cox's career, sad because it won't be in the World Series.

Bold prediction here, but Twinkies over the Yanks in 5. New ballparks seem to equal World Series rings nowadays. I see the Yanks sleeping on the Twins and the M&M boys taking advantage in a slugfest of a series.

Edit: Just saw that Morneau is out of the playoffs. I'm taking Yanks over Twins in 5 now.

Rangers over the Rays in 5 also. I've never been huge on the Rays and have always been confident it what the Rangers can do so that's the reason behind this one. That and Josh Hamilton.

NLDS

San Francisco Giants over the Atlanta Braves in 4

This is potentially the pitching series of the first round. Two teams with solid pitching, with the Giants having arguably the best in baseball, and a very good rookie catcher in Buster Posey. The Braves have some very good players as well, especially Jason Heyward, and it looks like a better offense. But when it comes to playoff time, it is always pitching and defense that wins the games, not the offense. Should be some tight games, but I think the Giants win in 4.

Philadelphia Phillies over the Cincinatti Reds in 4

It's pretty difficult to argue against the Phils. I mean would you take a team who has been to back to back World Series or a team making the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. The Phils have the better offense and better pitching. I think the Reds will take one at home, but I can't see them winning over a World Series team that got better

ALDS

Tampa Bay Rays over the Texas Rangers in 4

I like some things about Texas, and a lot of things about the Rays. They are a very complete team with solid pitching and good offense. I'm not sure how Josh Hamilton will help out since he is just coming back from injuring his ribs, but even if he does swing the bat well I don't think he alone can beat the Rays.

Minnesota Twins over the New York Yankees in 5

I know this is a stretch, but I hope to fucking God the Twinkies can up end the Yankees this year. The Twins have had solid pitching all year long, and have done it without their normal closer and for the past 3 months without Justin Morneau. The Yankees pitching has been spotty as fuck all of September, and even with their records against the Twins in the past, you can't always count on that. Twins have better players in certain areas now which definitely helps them out. I just think the Twins play better ball and can surprise the Yanks.

N.L.D.S

Giants over Braves--- 4 Games

Pitching. That's what it boils down to. The Giants have the best pitching staff in the playoffs. The best starters and bullpen. They lead the majors in ERA with a 3.16. Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez and Bumgardner. All can throw quality innings, especially the Freak and Cain. Zito will pitch, I can guarantee that. And I know its not exactly the same, but the Giants have been playing playoff type baseball for the last month, so I'm sure they will be fine.

Phillies over Reds---4 Games

The Reds are a hot young team and will contend for years in the N.L. however, the Phillies are just the better team in every catergory. Pitching, hitting, defense. The Reds will sneak in a game, but no mas.

A.L.D.S

Rays over Rangers---5 Games

The only series in the D.S that will go 5 games. I think tghe Rangers hitting can help them make this a series, but in the end the Rays pitching will help get them past the Rangers. After Cliff Lee, the Rangers aren't as deep and that will be the reason they don't advance.

Yankees over Twins---4 Games

Hard to see the Twins beating the Yankees even if they had Morneau in the lineup. this is the Yankees and I haven't seen the Twins do much against them so why would it happen now without their best hitter in the lineup. I give them a game, although I'm torn between that and a sweep. A sweep wouldn't surprise me.

Phillies over Reds in 3

That's right, a clean sweep of the Reds, and imo the weakest team to make it to the post season. Philadelphia's pitching is just to much for the reds to handle with Holliday, Oswalt and Hamals. This ones over fast.

Giants over Braves in 4.

The Giants ripped my heart out Sunday, knocking my Padres out of the post season, and letting the braves slip in because Philly half assed it in the last game and went to the bullpen after 2 innings, by choice; but that doesn't excuse Sand Diego's inability to score runs. Anyways, Giants are hot and have the pitching to take care of the Braves.

Rangers over Rays in 5

I'm looking for Josh Hamilton to produce big time now that he's back and healthy. The Rangers have decent pitching and can slug it out with Tampa, all games will be close with the Rangers taking advantage of homefield.

Yankees over Twins in 3

Yankee's ownage of the Twins cannot be overlooked here. The Twins are the perfect example of the small market team build to make it to the playoffs and die in the first round, year after year. Twins manage to keep at least one game close, but this series is over fast.

ALDS

Tampa Bay Rays over the Texas Rangers in 5

Tampa Bay has been excellent and the Rangers have been suspect at times throughout the season. I'd like to see the Rays get some more innings out of their starters though. I still think Texas will be able to win some games and play fairly well.

New York Yankees over the Minnesota Twins in 5

New York's pitching and great offense will just plain overwhelm and otherwise solid Twins team. The twins have no match for CC and Mariano Rivera, those two guys just take it to a whole other level.

NLDS

San Francisco Giants over the Atlanta Braves in 4

The Braves started HOT but ever since then they've fallen off. San Francisco has gotten way better at the end of this season. I can definitely see them making a splash in the playoffs.

Philadelphia Phillies over the Cincinatti Reds in 5

The Phillies are just too much for the Redlegs. Sure, the Reds have had a great year, but the Phillies are consistent and they will win this one easy. I don't see the Reds putting up much of a fight, but they'll well.

Phillies over Reds in 4 Games C'mon, Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels? That's too tough. Only way I could see the Reds winning is if they take the mentality of teams like the 03 Marlins, 05 White Sox, 06 Tigers, and 08 Rays and not even worry about who's on the other side of the field and just play ball. I see them taking Game 3 at home before Halladay closes it out in Game 4.

Giants over Braves in 5 This will be coming down to who has the best pitcher. We don't know how Lincecum, Cain, or Sanchez will pitch in the postseason, but I think they'll do well. Obviously there's a lot on the line for the Braves as well, but think there'll be some timely hitting from Posey and Huff.

Rangers over Rays in 5 If this goes 5, Lee gets to start twice. Based on his track record and how he has pitched since coming off the DL (aka the best pitcher that he is) the Rays better hope to get just enough off Lee game 1, hope Price pitches well, and then take 2 of 3 in the middle games. But if it gets to game 5 with Lee again, I'd be very, very nervous if I was Tampa. CJ Wilson isn't a bad #2 as well.

Yankees over Twins in 4 The Yankees have owned the Twins lately, and the only reason why I see it going 4 is because they're one of the best home teams in baseball. The Yankees will take both games at home, even with their shaky rotation.

National League:
Phillies vs. Reds: Phillies in 3.
Why: The Phillies have the best 3-man pitching rotation in the Major Leagues. In a 5 game series, Pitching is what wins, and the Reds can't compete with Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels.

Braves vs. Giants: Giants in 3
Why: Much like the Phillies, the Giants have better pitching. The Braves MAY be able to get one, but I don't think they have the pitching to outpitch the Giants, or the offense to hit the Giants pitching.

American League
Rays vs. Rangers:
Rays in 5
Why: This is going to easily be the most contested of the 4 DS's. I really see both these teams being equal, and the only reason I picked the Rays is because even though Hamilton came back, he likely isn't 100%, and I think that will be their downfall. It doesn't hurt either that I want this to be a highly contested series so that the team that wins will have exhausted themselves for when they face the Yankees

Twins vs. Yankees:
Yankees in 3
Why: The Yankees have OWNED the Twins in the Postseason (and to a lesser extent in the regular season too). Also, the Twins are without their second best offensive player Justin Morneau. If you look at this series, the Yankees have the edge in hitting, and in the bullpen (especially closer, where no team can even come close to Rivera). The one area that would be closer is the rotation. CC Sabathia has been dominant, but there are questions about the others. Hughes fell off some after the All Star Break (likely because the Yankees limited his innings by skipping a start here or there). AJ Burnett has been consistent (consistently BAD), and Pettitte is coming off an injury. Thankfully in a 5 game series teams can get away with a 3 man rotation, and the Yanks will likely go with CC, Pettitte, and Hughes, and hope Burnett can figure it out for a potential ALCS Start.

Phillies over Reds in 5

This will be the toughest series in my opinion out of the four. I'm curious to see how Roy Halladay does in his first ever postseason and Votto will be good enough to win one game and they will win another one to tie the series up at 2 but the Phillies would be too much in Game 5 and they will win.

Braves over Giants in 4

The Braves will be determined to win the World Series for Cox and while I like the Giants' pitching and Buster Posey, I just don't think they can consisently produce runs. The Braves have some decent pitching as well. Honestly, I don't see either team scoring more than 5 runs in any game but the Braves come out on top.

Rays over Rangers in 5

The Rays have great pitching and Cliff Lee will get the Rangers two wins. I would have picked the Rays in 4 but they struggle producing runs as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Lee throws a one-hitter or a no hitter. I don't believe Hamilton will be healthy enough because if he were, I would have picked the Rangers. Lee win will the first game and the Rays will win the next two which most likely will force Lee to start Game 4.

Twins over Yankees in 5

I bet the Twins would be licking their chops if Burnett was in the rotation because of how bad he's been but he's not. The Yankees just haven't looked like the team they were last year and it worries me. The Twins are in a new stadium and I believe more than any other year that this is their time and they've been dreadful in the playoffs but bad things have to turn around sometime and this is it. Don't let me down.

Phillies in 4

The Phillies may very well have the best rotation in the playoffs, and their lineup is good as well. The Reds looked good this year, but I really can't see them overcoming the Phils.

Giants in 5

The Braves have looked good, but I can't see them overcoming Buster Posey and the Giants. The emotion of Bobby Cox's retirement will help carry the Braves, but they will end up 1 win short.

Rays in 4

Tampa Bay is a very good team and Texas is struggling with injuries. Cliff Lee can't go out and start all the games, and he is their strongest player right now.

Yankees in 4

Twins don't have Morneau, so their offense takes a big hit, and the Yankees drop the dead weight from their rotation. Yanks will have little trouble toppling the Twins.

Phillies in 3

I just don't see Cinci getting a win with the big three pitching for Philly, yeah it's Halladay's first post season start but he'll do fine. With the Phillies bats heating up right at the end of the season, Cinci will be in a lot of trouble.

Braves in 4

This will come down to pitching as the Braves have the better batting without question. Both pitching staffs have had an up and down season. Lowe and Lincecum have been lights out pitching down the stretch. I think the problem lies with Cain and Sanchez. Hudson has been great all year, Hanson a little shaky but some of his losses were win Braves bats struggled when he pitched great games. Plus with it being Cox's last go, Braves will play their hearts out for him.

Yankees in 4

Both teams have been shaky down the stretch at the end of the season. Have to give the nod to N.Y. especially since they announced Burnett is out of the rotation. If A-Rod plays like he did last post season then this might end in three games. Add in how the Yankees beat up on the Twins in previous years, also makes it an easy choice.

Rays in 5

To many injuries for Texas for them to beat Tampa, even if they were healthy I think Tampa still has the way better pitching staff to win. Like others have said Cliff Lee will not be able to start every game for them but with him starting they should get 2 wins.

I'm not sure if/when I.C was going to list the standings so I'll just take care of it. Here are the standings after the Divisional Round:

1. SSC---20 points (Perfect Score)

2. Megatron---16 points

3. Blue Cardinal---15 points

4. Stormtrooper---14 points

5. People's Champ---13 points

6. Thriller---12 points

7. Big Black Crock---11 points

8. Theo---10 points

9. Buffalo Dave---9 points

9. CH David---9 points

11. Big Sexy---8 points

12. I.C 25---7 points

12. Joe's---7 points

14. LJL---3 points

Just a quick look at the picks showed that what hurt a lot of us was picking the Rays over the Rangers. Most had them winning in 5 so we would have gotten full points, except they didn't win so we got 0. For most, it was just off by a game or so. Then of course there were those who tried to go upset and pick the Twins and that hurt them in the standings.

And SSC deserves his own little paragraph here as he was the only one to correctly pick each of the series'. So congrats there.

Yankees Over Rangers in 7

Yankees have the better Pitching Rotation Offense and the better bullpen than the Rangers. The Rays and Rangers series going 5 really helped the Yankees because they don't have to face Lee until Game 3. This should be a really good series.

Phillies Over Giants 7

Phillies have a clear edge in offense, the pitching matchup is close but I think that the Phillies have a slight edge with Halladay, Oswalt , and Hamels over the Giants with Lincecum, Cain, and Sanchez or Bumgarner. Should be a really good series.

ALCS: New York Yankees vs. Texas Rangers:
Result:
Yankees in 6
Why:
Thanks to the Rays/Rangers going 5 games, Cliff Lee will not start until game 3, which means he won't pitch again until Game 7 (if necessary). CJ Wilson has been pretty good this year, but the combination of CC/Hughes/Pettitte should be able to win 4 games before Lee gets a chance to pitch twice. The Yankees have a better offense and better pitching outside of the Ace, so I can't see the Yankees losing.

NLCS:San Fransisco Giants vs. Philadelphia Phillies
Result: Phillies in 5
Why: For me, it all comes down to the fact that the Phillies look to be better in virtually every area of the game. They have better starting pitching (it's close, bu Philly is better), better offense, and better defense. I see this series going 3-0, then Lincicum going on short rest to win game 4, and then the Phils winning game 5.

Yankees over Rangers in 6- The Rangers have a good club and will get at least one win because of Cliff Lee but after him they don't have the most impressive starting pitching. That's what allowed Tampa back in the series and that's what will allow the Yankees to win this series.

Phillies over Giants in 4- Lincecum won't beat Halladay and the Phillies are just the better team in every category imaginable. This Philadelphia team at their best is the top team in all of baseball and I see the Giants run ending here,

Rangers over Yankees in 7 I really, REALLY like this team. Even with Lee not going till Game 3 (and possibly game 7), I think these guys are like some teams who haven't been in the postseason lately and aren't afraid of the Yankees (e.g. 06 Tigers, 03 Marlins, 01 D-Backs). Lee is, for my money, the best postseason pitcher on any team. He'll win Game 3. And if it goes Sabathia/Hughes/Pettitte/Burnett (like I think it will, possibly other way around, not sure) then I could see them taking 3 of those 4. Sabathia wasn't great against Minny, even if he only allowed 4. Wilson looked great against a better O and will be at home. Lee will win against either of Pettitte or Hughes (whoever he's against) and Burnett I still think is garbage. Hunter and Lewis will have to step up, clearly, but if they can take one, Wilson can get one, Lee will finish out the other two. Plus, the Rangers have an almost comparable O to the Yankees. Should be a great series to watch.

Phillies over Giants in 6 This will be more of a pitching series then the other, but I don't know how the Giants are gonna be able to beat Halladay/Oswalt/Hamels/Blanton 4 times. Halladay is great, Hamels looked good too. I think Blanton will lose, but this team has the experience and knows how to get there. Still, 2-1 and 3-2 games should be expected. If the Giants split games 1 and 2, I think they might have the momentum.

Man, quite an interesting list of series. I love MLB postseason.

EDIT: Saw Petitte will go Game 2, with Hughes going against Lee. Staying with my prediction, though.

Rangers over Yankees in 7

This looks like the team of destiny this year. Lee was dominant in his starts, and the rest of the team looked good as well. The Yankees will be a challenge, but I really think the Rangers have the skill to win plus fate seems to be on their side.

Phillies over Giants in 5

Giants are a two player team, with those players being Lincecum and Posey. If they get past Lincecum's start unharmed, the Phillies will have clear sailing into the World Series.

Yanks over the Rangers in 5. I just don't see the Rangers having enough pitching to deal with the Bombers. Yanks have their killer line-up plus a few good starters and Rivera.

Phillies over Giants in 7. While I'm pulling for the Giants, I don't see them having enough to top the Phils rotation and heavy hitters. Looking at the Phillies roster, it's hard to believe they didn't win more games.

Giants over Phillies---6 Games

I pretty sure, in fact I'm about 100% positive I'm the only one who will pick the Giants to win this series. The starters are as close as you can get, and I think the Giants staff will be better. Everyone keeps talking about Halladay's no hitter, but don't forget Lincecum threw a two hit shutout with 14 strikeouts in his first playoff game. Sanchez went 7 strong with 11 Ks. Again, I don't expect anyone to pick them, but I feel we have it. I know the Phillies offense is strong, but I like our staff to take care of business. These games are going to be tight, but I think we can pull these off.

Rangers over Yankees---7 Games

It seems like the Rangers are suppose to be here. They almost had a big collapse, but they pulled it off. I think their staff is good enough to get 2 wins for them, with the other 2 coming from Cliff Lee. I think they have the hitting to beat the Yanks in 7.

Phillies in 5

I like the pitching match ups, but the Phillies have the way better batting than the Giants, so I'm not to sure Sanchez and Cain will be able to be as dominant like they were versus Atlanta. Giants struggled to put up runs against Atlanta, with the Phillies having a better pitching staff, I think they will be able to take it.

Yankees in 6

Alright so the injuries weren't really a problem for Texas as I thought they would be. Yankees will take it with their pitching staff. Not to sound like a broken record, but Lee can't start every game for the Rangers, the rest of their pitchers will not be able to hold of the N.Y. bats.

NLCS

Philadelphia Phillies defeat San Francisco Giants in 6 games.

Reason: The Giants are the only NL team that their pitching staff can come close to competing with the Phillies. However the Phillies offense is leaps above the Giants and I think that will be enough to carry the Phils through this series. This will definitely be a battle and if the Giants can pull out an early win they could break the series, but I like the Phils experience and overall team moreso than the Giants.

ALCS

New York Yankees defeat Texas Rangers in 7 games.

Reason: This will be the best CS series. Cliff Lee not pitching until game 3 worries me for the Rangers, which sets him up for a game 7 match for him. However I think the short rest could hurt Lee. He has pitched great against the Yanks and I don't wanna count him out, but I like the Yanks a little bit more and to get us a repeat of last years World Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back