MLB bans intentional home plate collisions

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
The new rule, which hopes to eliminate serious injuries that can occur at home plate, ”will prohibit the most egregious collisions.”If the umpire determines a runner purposely goes after the catcher and tries to initiate contact, the runner will be called out even if the catcher loses the ball. Additionally, if the umpire feels the catcher is intentionally blocking the plate without possession of the ball, the runner will be called safe.

http://nesn.com/2014/02/vote-do-you-agree-with-baseballs-new-home-plate-collision-rule/

So this was sort of expected as of the last few months. We knew that they were trying to push this through. I'm honestly surprised that the players committee let it go through so easily. Basically what it's saying is you're no longer allowed to intentionally collide with the catcher at home plate. If you're forced to do it then that's alright, but if it seems intentional it's going to cost you.

I personally have a mixed opinion on this. I don't think the rule change is going to be that huge, and it is only for intentional collisions, but at the same time I just don't like the direction of it. I can't complain about the league trying to make things safer for the players, but at the same time I definitely don't want to see baseball go down that same drastic route like the NFL has. If this is the first step in that happening then it's going to become a very bad decade for the game of baseball.

The NFL has already become watered down enough as far as the rule changes go. I just don't like when things change the aspect of the entire game. It's one thing to add positive changes to the league such as expansion teams, draft rules, instant replay. But when you're changing the actual way the game is played that's when I think a line is crossed.

I'm not saying this is happening here yet, but what I'm afraid of is this may be the first step in the MLB going down that road. I don't want to see them go down the same path that the NFL is going down, and I don't think they will. But with Bud Selig stepping down, who knows what kind of man is going to take his place. The positive thing is I think the MLB has a much stronger, and more stubborn players union that will not allow big changes like that to happen.

So anyway what do you think of this new rule change? For better or for worse? Do you think the MLB will continue to change to game in favor of player safety?

I like the idea of the change, but the umps will screw it up big time anyway. There have been plenty of times when those collisions happen when they don't need to, so I like the thought behind the change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back