Mirko Cro Cop's next fight

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
As all of us know, Pride legend and one of the most beloved fighters of all time in Mirko Cro Cop has recently retired from MMA. This however doesn't mean he is done in combat sports. Mirko is confirmed to be fighting Ray Sefo in a K-1 match on March 10th. This comes as a shock to me considering Cro Cop is a mere shadow of his former self in every regard, but it will be an entertaining fight so i'm not complaining.

Ray Sefo is a big name in the K-1 industry. He's fought the best kickboxer's in the world in Badr Hari, Tyrone Spong, Peter Aerts and much more. He's getting up there in age, but I don't see how he loses to Cro Cop. Now, Sefo hasn't fought since 2010 and is getting older so maybe Cro Cop has a chance, but I just don't see it. I'm predicting a big KO by Sefo to hopefully send Cro Cop into retirement. Cro Cop's striking isn't anywhere near what it once was nor is his chin. This is an extremely tough fight for Cro Cop to have in his return to K-1.

What are your thoughts and predictions on the fight and Cro Cop's choice to continue his career?

I don't see how Cro Cop wins this one either. He just hasn't been the same since Gabe Gonzaga damn near killed him. I get that kickboxing uses big pillows as compared to mma and that Sefo has never been a big KO guy, but Mirko simply doesn't have "it' anymore.

He should have retired from combat sports period when he got that gift of a win over Pat Barry.

I think you guys are gonna be surprised by CroCop. Lets not forget that all CC has to deal with is striking in K1. There will be no fear of being taken down or submitted. This is what CC broke into combat sports as, and I think seeing as he is a pure striker he stands a much better chance in this sort of fight then anything right now. Now, I don't know if he will win or not, the CC fan in me certainly wants him to win, but as has been pointed out, he is not nearly the same fighter today as he was when he first competed in K1. Regardless, I will be cheering him on and hopefully we will get to see some right leg, hospital, left leg, cemetery.

I think you guys are gonna be surprised by CroCop. Lets not forget that all CC has to deal with is striking in K1. There will be no fear of being taken down or submitted. This is what CC broke into combat sports as, and I think seeing as he is a pure striker he stands a much better chance in this sort of fight then anything right now. Now, I don't know if he will win or not, the CC fan in me certainly wants him to win, but as has been pointed out, he is not nearly the same fighter today as he was when he first competed in K1. Regardless, I will be cheering him on and hopefully we will get to see some right leg, hospital, left leg, cemetery.

The threat of no takedown makes things even worse for him. The strikes will be coming straight for the kill as opposed to setting up for the takedown. Not to mention he hasn't kickboxed for a decade, and his timing won't be anywhere near where it should for a pure kickboxing fight.

He should have stayed retired.

He didn't have to worry about a ground game against Pat Barry and that led to him getting knocked down two times inside a round. Barry is a far inferior striker to Sefo. Add in the fact that Cro Cop hasn't fought a K-1 fight in almost nine years and it really doesn't look good for him. I'd favor the Cro Cop that beat Aerts and Bonjasky against Sefo, but he is FAR from the same fighter. I'm not saying he can't win. Sefo is older than Cro Cop, but i'd say Cro Cop has more mileage as a fighter on him. It should be a good fight, but I don't see Cro Cop winning.

Well, if Cro Cop is going to continue his career, then I'm glad it against guys who are around his age, rather than up-and-coming lions. Not only does his chances in winning go up heavily, but there's no shame in losing to guy the stature of Ray Sefo in a stand-up fight.

That said, I don't like Cro Cop chances in this one. The fact of the matter is, "takedown threats" or not, Cro Cop doesn't kick anymore, and without that his biggest weapon is gone. His kicks not only cause severe damage, but they leave openings for his punches. Without them, he's just a shitty boxer. With them, however, he is one of the greatest and most deadly stand-up fighters in MMA and Kickboxing history.

Not to mention that by this point Cro Cop's chin is completely shot. Combine that with the fact he doesn't kick, and that Ray Sefo is one of the hardest hitters around even at his age, Cro Cop will most likely get knocked out in this fight. I hope not, but like I said... if he does, then there's no shame in it happening against someone like Ray Sefo.

Anyways, I don't fault Cro Cop for trying to end his career on a high note, and if it doesn't pan out, then at least then he'll know for sure that the fight game has passed him by.

I always hate seeing fighters I look up to try to push on and keep going when they are obviously past their prime, but at the same time I could imagine being in his shoes and not wanting to go out on such a crappy note. I do give him a shot here but I'm not expecting much from him here, it'll be nice to see him fight a guy at the same point of his career as Mirko. I hope whether he wins or loses he hangs it up after this, the guy is one of my idols but I dont want to see him go out there and get beat up any more.

Mirko has been gunshy since 2007. Yes, the KO loss to Gonzaga was a determining factor with that, but it really gets down to Mirko's body just falling apart due to years of abuse. His run in the 2006 OWGP was the last glimmer of his once dominant explosiveness and speed. Unfortunately for Mirko, his athleticism and acumen for MMA happen to both reach their apex at a time when he ran smack dab into Fedor.

Everyone tends to forget that Mirko's shelf-life was going to be limited in MMA due to his career in kickboxing (it started when he was 16) tearing up his frame for years before he ever stepped into a Pride ring. It's the same situation with Wandy. He can still see the openings in his fights, but he can no longer pull the trigger. Sefo still has some explosiveness and has shown it in the last few years in a few of the K-1 preliminary events in Europe. His spinning backfist is still a thing if beauty and his hooks are nothing to sleep on, either. Regardless of whether Hippolyte prepares Mirko, I think his best days are behind him...especially where straight-up kickboxing is concerned. It's a funny thing, because there was a time when guys like Fabricio Werdum went to Croatia to train with Mirko for standup, but now? Werdum would probably tool him standing as would someone like Nogueira, who Mirko once nearly decapitated with a headkick and whose only chance to beat Mirko was pulling a sub out of nowhere. What a difference five years makes in an unforgiving sport.

I think that Ray takes this one, and if Mirko doesn't use leg kicks and distance to drag it out? Ray is going to put him out cold. Top level kickboxing isn't the kind of sport you dabble in. Ask Ray Mercer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back