• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater

Holy Shit...

Well, my first thought is that I am totally fucked. My wife was telling me the other night that she bets Portnoy ditches Dream Theatre and goes with A7X, because she now is convinced they are the next Metallica. I told her she was nuts. Now I'll get kicked in mine.

Mark this - Mike Portnoy is the greatest drummer in rock history whom 80% of mainstream rock fans couldn't name or pick put of a lineup. The man is a drum-God. That being said, his talents started being wasted by Dream Theatre. Amazing band with a niche following - they took him as far as they good, and now his talents have overstayed their potential.

A7X can absolutely benefit here. Portnoy seemed to really like working with them. Incidentally, Portnoy is friends with Chris Jericho, and as much as I like Fozzy's drummer (got to hang out with him a few times, genuine great guy and talented drummer), I wouldn't mind seeing MP at least do a guest spot with Fozzy.

Dream Theatre will move on without him and have marginally less success. It will really not be a blip on the radar. This isn't Van Halen losing DLR - so they'll survive and continue a career as amazing unknown artists.

It's interesting because I had not heard of Mike Portnoy or Dream Theater till I learned he was filling in for The Rev.

As IC25 said, he's one of the greatest modern drummers that not many rock fans know of. Perhaps this is him wanting a bit more attention for his druming capabilities and he feels he's not going to get it staying with Dream Theater. Maybe he feels his interests have deviated from the other members of DT and he wants to work with people who's interests are a lot more like his???

I'd like to see him carry on with Avenged Sevenfold, he fits that band like a glove. (they were influenced by him and Dream Theater) And it would be hard for A7X to find a good replacement drummer anyway they might as well stick with Portnoy.

I really hope he sticks with AX7. He was great replacing the Rev, and his talents fit the band. At first he didn't commit long term because of DT, so this could be a huge break for AX7 nation if he decides to stay on as the official drummer.

I wouldn't mind seeing Joey Jordinson drumming for them? I mean didn't slipknots founding member die? But Joey would be a nice addition to dream theater. a lot of bands these days would turn into super groups lol.

But in all honesty thank god they are continuing on. I love DT and MP a lot!

Got more news for ya Portnoy's fans! I've just read the first interview of Mike since he left DT. And guess who is the man that interviewed Portnoy, non other than the metal genius Eddie Trunk! Here's the link:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145872

I support completely Mike's decision. He is going to take a break from DT, a year or two. So, apparently, Portnoy ISN'T a member of A7X. I think that it is bs! It's a matter of time (like the DT song ;)) before he says it!

As always your thoughts....

I wouldn't mind seeing Joey Jordinson drumming for them? I mean didn't slipknots founding member die? But Joey would be a nice addition to dream theater. a lot of bands these days would turn into super groups lol.

But in all honesty thank god they are continuing on. I love DT and MP a lot!

I hope they don't take Joey, as i really hope Slipknot can continue after the tragic death of Paul Gray. I've seen Slipknot live twice and Joey is an immense drummer, and i've seen Dream Theater at Donnington '09 and would have to say Portnoy is a great drummer too so it would be a god replacement but theres no need to butcher one band to save another. That's why i'm not happy about Portnoy going to A7X. Why take from a great band like DT to save A7X?

That's why i'm not happy about Portnoy going to A7X. Why take from a great band like DT to save A7X?

What the hell are you talking about? I mean I love me some DT, but they are no where near mainstream while Sevenfold is about as mainstream as you can get. You honestly think A7X needs saving? They are an absolutely awesome band who has had major success with all their albums. Seriously you don't think they'd be able to find another great drummer to fill Revs spot? Fuck yes they'd be able to. Like IC said DT took him as far as he could go. Time to move onto a better band, and time to move onto bigger and better things.

Seriously you don't think they'd be able to find another great drummer to fill Revs spot? Fuck yes they'd be able to. QUOTE]

just so you guys know, the Rev wasn't JUST a7x's drummer. he wrote probably more than half of their songs. (afterlife, a little piece of heaven, brompton cocktail). he was essential to the band. i would love to see Portnoy stay with Avenged Sevenfold.

Although The Rev will never be able to be "replaced." Mike Portnoy is a great addition if there was to be anyone filling in for The Rev. They couldn't have picked a better person for it than Portnoy, and I personally hope Portnoy stays with A7X and continue making amazing music.

just so you guys know, the Rev wasn't JUST a7x's drummer. he wrote probably more than half of their songs. (afterlife, a little piece of heaven, brompton cocktail). he was essential to the band. i would love to see Portnoy stay with Avenged Sevenfold.

Believe me. I know. Just based on that fact though doesn't mean they can't go on without him. Believe me I absolutely loved Rev. Him and Joey Jordinson are my favorite drummers. I just believe they can get along without him. The entire band is just so talented, and with an addition like Portnoy they can be just as good as before. Rev was a huge part to the band, but he wasn't the whole band. It's not like he held the band together by making all of the songs. Sure he was an absolutely amazing talent, and I will never try to discredit his skills in anyway. They can still make kickass songs without Rev. Every one of the band members are talented as hell, and I have faith that even without Rev they will kick major ass.

Thing is Mike Portnoy is the biggist name in Dream Theater (he's the only one I know) mainly because he is A. an exceptional drummer and B. doing work with other bands (like Avenged Sevenfold) Outside of hardcore DT fans very few people are likely to care about a new DT album if Mike Portnoy isn't on it.

Thing is Mike Portnoy is the biggist name in Dream Theater (he's the only one I know) mainly because he is A. an exceptional drummer and B. doing work with other bands (like Avenged Sevenfold) Outside of hardcore DT fans very few people are likely to care about a new DT album if Mike Portnoy isn't on it.

Probably Alex, however you have to take in mind the fact that MP is an essential part of DT. Nop, I mean not only in drums, but as a composer. As he said once, his dad gave the name of Dream Theater!:lmao:

Anyway, DT is his baby, even if he has more succes with A7X (wich I doubt), he will miss DT too much.

PS: Just noticed your sig, Alex you included the Rev!! SWEET!:worship:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back