Middleweight Rankings

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
The top ten rankings for Middleweights are those of Sherdog.com, and do not neccesarilly reflect the opinions of Wrestlezone.com, Wrestlezone Forms, IrishCanadian25, the Santino Marella Fan-a-Club, or its affiliates. Comments after each fighter are those of the thread starter, however.

1. Anderson Silva, 24-4. The UFC Middleweight Champ, he's so good right now he has to go up a weight class to fight Griffin just for competition. Criticized recently for "taking a fight off" against Leites. This guy's knee strikes are as lethal as I've ever seen.

2. Yushin Okami, 23-4. This Japanese beast has a big-ticket fight coming up with Patrick Cote, another solid Middleweight. It remains to be seen if Okami is in line for a shot at The Spider.

3. Nate Marquardt, 28-8-2. The very definition of the word "beast." Nate the Great is a physical marvel, and one of the hardest workers in UFC. Pick up the latest issue of Muscle & Fitness with Nate on the cover, and look at his workout. The biggest strike against him right now is that he's already lost to Anderson Silva, but first he has to get by Demian Maia at UFC 102.

4. Dan Henderson, 24-7. Has a weird, fucked up face that belies a UFC contender. This recent TUF 9 coach has a huge fight at UFC 100 against Michael Bisping. If he wins convincingly, he may be in line for a title shot.

5. Demian Maia, 10-0. His last 2 years have defined "hot streak." If he can get by Nate Marquardt, he's almost a shoe-in to be the #1 contender for the title.

6. Jorge Santiago, 21-7. Huge fight coming up at Affliction against the ninth-ranked Belfort, he is the Sengoku Middleweight champ in Japan.

7. Thales Leites, 14-2. After the debacle that was his fight with anderson Silva, Leites is now set to fight an unranked Alessio Sakara at UFC 101. If Leites loses that fight, he's as good as off the top 10, as well he should be.

8. Robbie Lawler, 16-5. A member of Strikeforce fresh off a shocking tap out loss to Jake Sheilds. It's uncertain what direction Lawler is going in, but he's barely clinging to this top-10 spot.

9. Vitor Belfort, 18-8. Trapped in top-10 limbo, Belfort gets Jorge Santiago on August 1st.

10. Chael Sonnen, 23-10-1. Sonnen doesn't get a lot of credit, but he defeated highly-rated Dan Miller at UFC 98, and now awaits his next opponent. For Chael to make waves, it has to be against someone on this list.

Thoughts...

This division is "Anderson Silva...and then everybody else."

Michael Bisping catapults himself onto the list if he upsets Dan Henderson.

Patrick Cote is better than Belfort or Sonnen, I think. He needs a big win.

Frank Trigg is technically still around. He's sick of being GSP's bitch.

This division is "Anderson Silva...and then everybody else."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Michael Bisping catapults himself onto the list if he upsets Dan Henderson.

He should already be up there. What fighters do in other divisions before they enter one should count. And Bisping had some very impressive fights at LHW, and he has won all his MW fights thus far against some tough competition. The fact he's not on there is beyond ridiculous, in my opinion.

Patrick Cote is better than Belfort or Sonnen, I think. He needs a big win.

Whoa, whoa, whoa IC... that's a very bold statement my friend; one I feel has a little Canadian bias to it. First of all, Cote is injured and will remain so for quite sometime, so that really hurts him in the rankings. But let's say he wasn't injured, what has he done to make you think he should be ranked over Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen?

Frank Trigg is technically still around. He's sick of being GSP's bitch.

Yeah, he's around and he's never going to make an impact in any division, let alone the Middleweight Division, lol.

Anyway, Yushin Okami being that high on the list is a bit of a joke. First of all, the guy is one of the most boring fighters in MMA, but also.. he really hasn't beaten anyone (please no one mention Anderson Silva because Okami was getting his ass handed to him before the Disqualification). And when he got in there with a main eventer in Rich Franklin, he lost. Plus, he's injured currently. I don't mind him being in the top 10, but being #2 makes no sense whatsoever. People just cling on to that DQ victory over Silva and it's ridiculous.

And just want to say that I hope by this time next year, Ed Herman and Kendall Grove are both on that list. I really like them both and I think they're about to go on a huge run.

I still can't find that goddamn Trigg/Hughes fight. One video that I know exists breaks down after two seconds. Which is a shame, because his MMA match with AJ Styles was shit. Trigg, I mean. And I called him the next Kurt Angle.

But yeah, Silva does seem far, far, far above everyone else in this division. They should just start doing freak show fights with him. First up - The Big Show.

He should already be up there. What fighters do in other divisions before they enter one should count. And Bisping had some very impressive fights at LHW, and he has won all his MW fights thus far against some tough competition. The fact he's not on there is beyond ridiculous, in my opinion.

Agreed. He was a coach on TUF 9 for a reason.

Whoa, whoa, whoa IC... that's a very bold statement my friend; one I feel has a little Canadian bias to it. First of all, Cote is injured and will remain so for quite sometime, so that really hurts him in the rankings. But let's say he wasn't injured, what has he done to make you think he should be ranked over Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen?

Maybe it is bias, I don't know. I am not even sure I can defend that one. Maybe it's just personal preference. But you know, Cote is out injured, but Karo is out suspended. He's still ranked highly. It's a weird system.

Yeah, he's around and he's never going to make an impact in any division, let alone the Middleweight Division, lol

See also : Sean Sherk.

And just want to say that I hope by this time next year, Ed Herman and Kendall Grove are both on that list. I really like them both and I think they're about to go on a huge run.

I love Kendall Grove. Tito Ortiz brought out something really special in that kid, and he's got Anderson Silva's style with the use of his height to pump lethal knees into an opponent's face. He's dangerous and in shape. Although I think he needs a different nickname. He's called "The Spider." That's Anderson's nickname.

Update as of August 12:

1. Anderson Silva (25-4)
In one of the most impressive performances of his career, MMA’s middleweight king moved up to 205 pounds and blew away former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin in a horrifically lopsided affair. The brilliant performance has already sparked talk of “The Spider” vacating his middleweight mantle and moving up to 205 pounds permanently.

2. Yushin Okami (23-4)
Inopportune injuries have slowed Okami’s bid to earn a rematch with middleweight king Silva. A healthy Okami will have the chance to solidify himself as a top contender on Oct. 24 when he takes on Chael Sonnen at UFC 104.

3. Nate Marquardt (28-8-2)
Marquardt wants another crack at the UFC middleweight title. However, in order to get another chance at 185-pound glory, he will need to take out his biggest challenge since his bout with Silva two years ago -- undefeated Brazilian jiu-jitsu king Demian Maia at UFC 102 on Aug. 29.

4. Dan Henderson (25-7)
Henderson put an exclamation point on the end of “The Ultimate Fighter 9” at UFC 100 by brutally starching rival coach Michael Bisping in the second frame. For the former two-division champion of Pride, getting another crack at the UFC middleweight championship could depend on the Aug. 29 bout between fellow top contenders Marquardt and Maia.

5. Demian Maia (10-0)
Few fighters, if any, have been as impressive as Maia over the last 14 months. His road to a shot at the UFC middleweight title now runs through Marquardt at UFC 102 on Aug. 29.

6. Jorge Santiago (21-7)
Perhaps the most unfortunate victim of Affliciton’s demise, Santiago was left without a clear direction after the cancellation of his match with Vitor Belfort. While he expects to defend his Sengoku middleweight title sometime in the near future, the surging Brazilian now looks at a clean calendar with no fights.

7. Robbie Lawler (16-5, 1 NC)
Lawler appeared to be in control on the feet in his June 6 bout with Jake Shields. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was tapping out to a Shields guillotine choke, leaving his next move in Strikeforce’s middleweight division uncertain.

8. Vitor Belfort (18-8)
The fall of Affliction killed Belfort’s anticipated bout with fellow Brazilian Santiago, but “The Phenom” will not be on the sidelines for long. The former UFC light heavyweight champion will return to the Octagon at UFC 103 on Sept. 19 to meet Rich Franklin at a 195-pound catchweight.

9. Chael Sonnen (23-10-1)
After grinding out a nice win over former International Fight League middleweight champion Dan Miller in May, Sonnen’s climb up the 185-pound ladder will only get more difficult. The Team Quest product will take on Okami at UFC 104 on Oct. 24.

10. Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-1, 2 NC)
It was not his best performance, but Akiyama gritted through a split decision verdict over a game Alan Belcher at UFC 100 in July and has thrown himself into the UFC’s deepening middleweight mix.

Other contenders: Michael Bisping, Patrick Cote, Paulo Filho, Dan Miller, Frank Trigg.

I still highly disagree with Okami being #2. The guy hasn't fought in what seems like 2 fucking years now, but keeps that second spot nevertheless. It's ridiculous. Dan Henderson should be there, in my opinion. And Okami should be bumped down behind Marquardt and Maia.

But other than that huge complaint, almost agree with the rest of the list. I would have Ronaldo Souza around #10 or #9 (with the winner of his next fight between he and Mayhem jump up a few notches), and I would bump up Belfort and Sexyama past Lawler and maybe even Okami if he were #5 like I suggested, but that's about it.

At this point, I don't think that being number 2 in the middle weight division is all that good of a thing. Because at some point... you're gonna have to get kneed in the face by Anderson Silva. God help the LH Division.

Update as of September 3rd:

1. Anderson Silva (25-4)
With Dan Henderson's brutal KO of Michael Bisping and Nate Marquardt's quick smashing of Demian Maia, Silva now has two former victims prime for rematches. Even if Marquardt and Henderson aren't next for "The Spider," there is still the option of another alluring superfight at light heavyweight.

2. Nate Marquardt (29-8-2)
In what was arguably the most stirring victory in a sterling career, Marquardt blew away unbeaten jiu-jitsu phenom Demian Maia in just 21 seconds at UFC 102. He has gained much popular support in his bid to rematch divisional king Anderson Silva, who defeated Marquardt in July 2007.

3. Yushin Okami (23-4)
Inopportune injuries have slowed Okami’s bid to earn a rematch with middleweight king Silva. A healthy Okami will have the chance to solidify himself as a top contender on Oct. 24 when he takes on Chael Sonnen at UFC 104.

4. Dan Henderson (25-7)
There is still no clear winner in the Anderson Silva sweepstakes between Henderson and the recently victorious Nate Marquardt. Regardless of whether Henderson gets his second chance at Silva next, the former two-division Pride titlist will have another elite middleweight or light heavyweight across the Octagon from him the next time he fights.

5. Demian Maia (10-1)
In a fight that could have earned him a crack at middleweight overlord Anderson Silva, Maia found out just what competition is like at the top of the 185-pound division. Nate Marquardt blew him away with a single right hand in just 21 seconds at UFC 102.

6. Jorge Santiago (21-7)
Perhaps the most unfortunate victim of Affliction’s demise, Santiago was left without a clear direction after the cancellation of his match with Vitor Belfort. While he expects to defend his Sengoku middleweight title sometime in the near future, the surging Brazilian now looks at a clean calendar with no fights.

7. Vitor Belfort (18-8)
The fall of Affliction killed Belfort’s anticipated bout with fellow Brazilian Santiago, but “The Phenom” will not be on the sidelines for long. The former UFC light heavyweight champion will return to the Octagon at UFC 103 on Sept. 19 to meet Rich Franklin at a 195-pound catchweight.

8. Robbie Lawler (16-5, 1 NC)
Lawler appeared to be in control on the feet in his June 6 bout with Jake Shields. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was tapping out to a Shields guillotine choke, leaving his next move in Strikeforce’s middleweight division uncertain.

9. Chael Sonnen (23-10-1)
After grinding out a nice win over former International Fight League middleweight champion Dan Miller in May, Sonnen’s climb up the 185-pound ladder will only get more difficult. The Team Quest product will take on Okami at UFC 104 on Oct. 24.

10. Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-1, 2 NC)
It was not his best performance, but Akiyama gritted through a split decision verdict over a game Alan Belcher at UFC 100 in July and has thrown himself into the UFC’s deepening middleweight mix.

Other contenders: Michael Bisping, Patrick Cote, Paulo Filho, Dan Miller, Frank Trigg.

After his incredible knockout over Damien Maia, Nate Marquardt shoots up to #2. While it's good to see someone else there for a change other than someone who hasn't fought in what seems like forever, I still think Dan Henderson should be in front of Okami AND Marquardt. Henderson defeated way better and more high profile names than both of those guys put together since his win streak, and I don't feel he's getting the recognition he deserves from these rankings.

But other than that and what I bitched about in my last post, no complaints. However, I do fail to see why Bisping isn't #10 or #9. You look at his record (18-2) and the fact that his two losses came to two of the best fighters in the sport, in which one of the losses could have easily gone the other way with a different judge, I don't understand how anyone could consider him not a top 10 fighter for his division.

Update as of November 25th:

1. Anderson Silva (25-4)
Silva was originally set to headline UFC 108 on Jan. 2, defending his middleweight crown against Vitor Belfort. However, the recovery of his enigmatic elbow injury, though reportedly ahead of schedule, will not allow him to fight on that date, postponing the Belfort bout until later in 2010.

2. Nate Marquardt (29-8-2)
As Dan Henderson's negotiations with Zuffa have decayed, the highly appealing Marquardt-Henderson bout has fallen by the wayside. Instead, Marquardt will meet another outstanding wrestler on Feb. 6 at UFC 109 when he takes on Chael Sonnen.

3. Dan Henderson (25-7)
With Zuffa not interested in paying Henderson the money he seeks, the former two-division Pride champion is now MMA's most prized free agent given his name value, aggressive style and two-division flexibility.

4. Demian Maia (11-1)
After his deflating loss to Nate Marquardt in August, Maia will return to action at UFC 109 on Feb. 6. In opposition, the BJJ world champion will find himself against another savvy grappler in former IFL champion Dan Miller.

5. Vitor Belfort (19-8)
Though "The Phenom" will still likely be the next man to bid for Anderson Silva's middleweight mantle, he'll have to wait a bit longer than expected. Silva's elbow injury will not be healed in time to allow for a Jan. 2 meeting between the two at UFC 108.

6. Chael Sonnen (24-10-1)
Quietly having knocked off a string of strong competitors, Sonnen has been granted his moment to prove he's a serious middleweight contender rather than an opportunistic wrestler. The Team Quest product is slated to take on Nate Marquardt in a bout with major UFC title implications Feb. 6 at UFC 109.

7. Jake Shields (24-4-1)
Shields earned the vacant Strikeforce middleweight title by taking a workmanlike five-round unanimous decision over Jason "Mayhem" Miller on the promotion's Nov. 7 network television debut. With the likes of Cung Le, Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, Matt Lindland and others filling into Strikeforce's middleweight division, Shields' road only gets tougher from here.

8. Yushin Okami (23-5)
The fervor for Okami to be granted a UFC middleweight title shot has likely died following the Japanese export's unanimous decision loss to Chael Sonnen at UFC 104. It'll be a long road back to acclaim for the polarizing Okami.

9. Mamed Khalidov (20-3-1)
In the biggest bout of his career, the starchild of Poland's MMA scene came through in the clutch by halting Sengoku middleweight champion Jorge Santiago in the first round. Unfortunately, the non-title status of the bout meant that Khalidov's breakthrough win didn't come with a title belt.

10. Jorge Santiago (21-8)
The slipper finally fell on Santiago's muscular 9-0 run with nine stoppages, as the Brazilian's shaky chin was again exposed by hot Polish prospect Mamed Khalidov on Nov. 7. Santiago's Sengoku middleweight title was not at stake in the bout, therefore complicating the promotion's middleweight scenario heading into New Year's Eve.

Other contenders: Yoshihiro Akiyama, Paulo Filho, Robbie Lawler, Dan Miller, Kazuo Misaki.

No really huge updates here, outside of Yushin Okami bumping down after his loss to Chael Sonnen, and Jake Shields moving to the 7th spot on the list, after months and months spending time in the top 5 of the top 10 Welterweight rankings.

Anyway, no huge changes on my end, but I would move Vitor up a spot, and put Jake Shields right behind him. Damien Maia's last loss to Marquardt was just too embarrassing for him to be ranked as high as he is (and before then he hadn't beat any real top names in the MW Division, anyway), and Chael Sonnen has never really impressed me. Also, I would put Mayhem Miller in the contender's spot, as I think he'll stay at Middleweight for quite some time.

I think Vitor and Shields should both be ahead of Maia and that Marquardt should be moved to third or fourth. I would put Henderson at number two and Belfort at 3. Marquardt at 4 and Shields at 5 (lets give the man a little credit for being a champion, please). Other then that the rankings dont please me or make me want to punch a puppy. Sonnen has been hot as of late, Maia got knocked out and Okami finally showed that he is overrated. I would also probably put Akiyama at 10 and drop Santiago.

1. Anderson Silva (26-4)
At UFC 112, Silva turned in another performance that drew the ire of the MMA public, as he danced and sporadically fought his way to a unanimous decision over Demian Maia. With the post-fight histrionics having subsided, “The Spider” figures to meet Chael Sonnen in August in his next title defense.

2. Chael Sonnen (24-10-1)
Sonnen’s combination of stirring trash talk and surprising performances has finally paid off. The Republican politician-cum-prizefighter has been tentatively slated as the next to challenge Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight crown in August.

3. Jake Shields (25-4-1)
Despite entering his April 17 meeting with Dan Henderson as a considerable underdog -- and taking a first-round beating -- Shields dominated the two-time Olympian for the last four rounds, earning a unanimous decision. The question for the Cesar Gracie product now is whether he will remain in Strikeforce or head to the UFC.

4. Nate Marquardt (29-9-2)
Marquardt’s UFC 109 bout with Chael Sonnen was supposed to serve as a perfunctory setup for another UFC middleweight title shot. Instead, Sonnen’s takedowns were far too much for Marquardt, who dropped a unanimous decision and will have to wait for a second crack at the UFC 185-pound crown.

5. Dan Henderson (25-8)
Henderson looked every bit the heavy favorite in round one of his Strikeforce title fight with Jake Shields. However, for the next four rounds, the former two-division Pride champion was dominated on the ground and lost a unanimous decision in his promotional debut.

6. Demian Maia (12-2)
Maia was embarrassed and badly beaten by Anderson Silva in his April 10 title bout. However, with Silva’s in-cage antics and Maia’s throwing caution to the wind late in the fight in an attempt to win, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu star emerged as the bigger fan favorite after UFC 112.

7. Vitor Belfort (19-8)
Belfort was scheduled to get the next crack at pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva’s middleweight throne. However, a shoulder injury and subsequent surgery has bumped “The Phenom” out of a title shot in an intensifying 185-pound division, with no guarantees he will get another chance to face Silva.

8. Yushin Okami (24-5)
Okami was expected to beat Lucio Linhares in their March 31 affair. However, he took the extra step normally absent in his bouts and really put on a show, as he bashed Linhares’ face, forced a second-round stoppage and offered a more enjoyable fight to the lay fan.

9. Jorge Santiago (22-8)
Santiago was one of MMA’s hottest fighters heading into November, when he was embarrassed in his non-title bout with Mamed Khalidov. However, Santiago put on a champion’s performance in the rematch, winning a well-appointed unanimous decision over five rounds to avenge his humbling defeat to the Chechen.

10. Mamed Khalidov (20-4-1)
After whacking Jorge Santiago in their non-title affair in November, many expected the native Chechen to walk away with Sengoku’s middleweight crown on March 7. Instead, Santiago used his grappling ability to ground and outlast Khalidov, as he retained his title.

Other contenders: Yoshihiro Akiyama, Michael Bisping, Paulo Filho, Robbie Lawler, Wanderlei Silva.

I surprisingly agree with Sherdog here in how they ranked the Middleweights here. Chael is the definite #2 and has earned it with how he's performed over the last year. He's now staring a title shot in the face and he has a legitimate shot at becoming UFC Middleweight Champion. Jake Shields earned being #3 with an impressive win over Dan Henderson. The rest are all straightforward and I don't know anything about the bottom two guys, but they've done enough lately to get ranked over Sexyama, Bisping, and Wanderlei.

While I agree with all the names on the list, I do not agree with the placings. Obviously Anderson Silva is number one and I would also agree with Chael Sonnen being number two considering what he has done in the last year to put himself in a title position. However, I firmly believe that Vitor Belfort should be sitting at the 3 spot right now. Though his fight with Rich Franklin was controversial he did win, and he has been on a tear as of late, just watch his destruction of Matt Lindland among others. He is clearly the number 3.

Im not seeing any real changes here also, except why Belfort is on the list at all. He's ony had two fights at MW and hes ranked 7th? The fight with Franklin was at a catch weight at 195 so not a real MW fight. If anything I would put him at 10 and move the other three up in same order. Or just put Lawler in the 10 spot and still move the other three up like I said with Belfort.

Chael is the definite #2 and has earned it with how he's performed over the last year.

I completely disagree with that, man.

Jake Shields' DOMINANCE over Dan Henderson and his wins over Robbie Lawler and Mayhem Miller are way more impressive than anything Chael did throughout that last year you brought up.

Jake Shields, in my opinion, is without a doubt the 2nd Best Middleweight in the World right now, and he deserves to be ranked that on everybody's list.

That said, I would rank Chael Sonnen #3, and the only other thing I would change is add Mayhem Miller and Jacare on to the list Both of them are MUCH better than some of the bums listed on there. Mayhem put up a much more valiant fight against Shields than Henderson did, and outside of his fights with Jacare, he's done extremely well since 2007. And as far as Jacare... why the fuck isn't he on there to begin with? He's beaten some great names, and his one loss since 2004 was a fluke against a natural Light Heavyweight who was ranked in the top 10 of his own division at the time.

Update Middleweight rankings: Again this is before Sat. Strikeforce event so keep it in mind while looking, and before you comment on it.

1. Anderson Silva (27-4)
In the seventh defense of the UFC middleweight title, Silva was dominated for 23 minutes by Chael Sonnen’s ground-and-pound attack. With the clock ticking on his middleweight supremacy, Silva -- who carried a rib injury into the bout -- locked up a fight-ending triangle armbar to complete a thrilling comeback victory for the ages and hang onto the 185-pound mantle.

2. Chael Sonnen (25-11-1)
For the better part of five rounds against Anderson Silva, Sonnen looked like exactly the kind of fighter he told the world he was. Sonnen dominated “The Spider” for round after round until his familiar Achilles’ heel -- his submission defense -- reared its head in the fifth round. Sonnen, the sport’s preeminent trash talker, succumbed to a triangle armbar in thrilling-but-heartbreaking fashion.

3. Jake Shields (25-4-1)
After the expiration of his Strikeforce contract, the Octagon was the obvious next step for Shields. The two-division stalwart will make his UFC debut at 170 pounds, as he drops back to welterweight to challenge tough Dane Martin Kampmann at UFC 121 on Oct. 23.

4. Nate Marquardt (29-9-2)
Marquardt expected to face powerful Brazilian grappler Rousimar “Toquinho” Palhares on Aug. 28, when the UFC rolled into Boston for UFC 118. However, the dissolution of a bout between Demian Maia and Alan Belcher slated to main event UFC Fight Night 22 on Sept. 15 in Austin, Texas, prompted the relocation of the Marquardt-Palhares match to the Lone Star State in September.

5. Dan Henderson (25-8)
Henderson looked every bit the heavy favorite in round one of his Strikeforce title fight with Jake Shields on April 17. However, for the next four rounds, the former two-division Pride champion was dominated on the ground and lost a unanimous decision in his promotional debut.

6. Demian Maia (12-2)
Maia expected to main event UFC Fight Night 22 against fellow middleweight contender Alan Belcher on Sept. 15. However, a detached retina for Belcher scuttled the bout, and Maia will now meet the once-beaten Mario Miranda at UFC 118 on Aug. 28.

7. Vitor Belfort (19-8)
It’s a tough time to be Belfort. After losing a UFC middleweight title shot due to injury, Belfort expected to face the winner of the Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen bout later this year. After Sonnen’s spirited effort, Belfort may be forced to beg for consideration, with a growing cry for a Silva-Sonnen rematch.

8. Yushin Okami (25-5)
Okami continued to get back into the UFC middleweight title hunt on Aug. 1 in San Diego. The Japanese veteran jabbed and sprawled to a well-deserved decision win over Mark Munoz in a fight that was not particularly contentious, despite judge Cecil Peoples’ dubious 29-28 scorecard for Munoz.

9. Jorge Santiago (22-8)
In January 2009, Santiago claimed Sengoku’s middleweight crown with a rousing come-from-behind fifth-round submission against Kazuo Misaki. To hang onto his title, Santiago will need to beat Misaki once again, as they meet in a rematch at Sengoku 14 on Aug. 22.

10. Ronaldo Souza (12-2, 1 NC)
With a plethora of Brazilian jiu-jitsu and no-gi grappling laurels, Souza will have the chance to add his first significant piece of MMA hardware to his trophy case on Aug. 21. “Jacare” will meet Tim Kennedy in Houston to vie for the vacant Strikeforce middleweight crown.

Other contenders: Alan Belcher, Michael Bisping, Chris Leben, Hector Lombard, Wanderlei Silva.

Well I remember JMT having a problem with Sonnen at number 2 the last time these were posted. I'm not sure if he will now as he took at to the MW king, Anderson Silva for 4 1/2 rounds. Plus his pick Shields is dropping down to Welterweight, so not sure if he qualifies to still be ranked in the Middleweight division. If that is the case where you take Shields down then I guess move everyone up one and put Leben there. He has looked really good his past two fights.

I'd also switch around Jacare and Belfort, Belfort hasn't fought in a year and who knows when he will again. Jacare has been doing great, and did just win the SF Middleweight title.

What the heck is Belfort doing in there? He hasn't fought one match at middleweight. Hell his match agaisnt Franklin was a catchweight bought. He needs to beat someone credible in that division before he's in the rankings. I had high hopes for Alan Belcher, shame he got injuried. I wish Jake Shields stayed at Middleweight I feel he could give Silva a similar run for his money like Sonnen did.

Anderson through Henderson is about as correct as this list is going to get before getting into controversies. Jacare definitely deserves a big bump up the list considering he just won the title. In fact, he could be swapped with Hendo with no real argument from me, but for now I will keep it the way it is. Okami has been very good since his loss to Sonnen and deserves to be 7, same goes for Santiago. Maia is coming off a loss to the champ and Belfort has been inactive and hasn't even officially fought at 185 yet, however, I still think he deserves a spot on the list. The only other thing I can think of right now is maybe take Belfort off the list and put Chris Leben on, but the guys on this list are about as correct as we are going to get for now.

1. Anderson
2. Sonnen
3. Shields
4. Marquardt
5. Henderson
6. Jacare
7. Okami
8. Santiago
9. Maia
10. Belfort

Well I remember JMT having a problem with Sonnen at number 2 the last time these were posted. I'm not sure if he will now as he took at to the MW king, Anderson Silva for 4 1/2 rounds.

No, I don't. For two reasons:

1. For the point you brought up about him dominating Anderson for 23 minutes.

2. Jake Shields isn't even a Middleweight anymore.

My biggest problem last time was ranking Chael over Shields, when none of Chael's victories were as impressive as Shields' wins over Dan Henderson, Mayhem Miller, and Robbie Lawler. However, since Shields is now back at Welterweight, he doesn't deserve to even be on this list.

As far as the rest of the list... Belfort shouldn't be there, and Yushin Okami and Jacare should be higher.

Vitor Belfort hasn't even fought at 185 in the UFC as of yet, so what the fuck is he doing on there? If you could neglect putting Nick Diaz on the Welterweight Top 10 List for so long just because he fought a few fights at Middleweight, then why doesn't Belfort get the same treatment?

And as far as Okami and Jacare goes... it's obvious. Okami is 9-2 in the UFC, with those two losses being against Rich Franklin (a fight he almost won) and Chael Sonnen. He's easily the 3rd ranked UFC Middleweight in my book. And Jacare... while I wasn't too impressed with his latest performance, dude still has an impressive record that speaks for itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back