Microsoft's New Tablet Strategy

Ty Burna

Getting Noticed By Management
With the announcement of Windows 8 and the new Metro user interface focusing more on touch, Microsoft has decided to integrate their various devices and systems under one roof. Along with finally integrating all systems under one roof comes a new device sold directly from Microsoft with the Surface Tablet. What is interesting about this is that Microsoft has never been in the business of selling devices strictly marked with the Microsoft logo. They have sold peripherals such as keyboards and mice, and of course their gaming console with the XBox 360, but this is a major change of pace for the company, one that could be brilliant or could hurt their core business.

Why you ask? Microsoft is nearly the only provider of Operating Systems for notebooks for the major OEM manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc. Linux is an option but not one a standard user will look towards. Not only this but a number of companies will be looking to use Windows 8 (also known as Windows RT for tablets) as the operating system of choice for their own products. One can easily point out that Microsoft seems to be mimicking Apple's strategy of keeping hardware and software in house, and most would agree that to be the case. However, let's take a look at Google's latest strategy. They recently released the Nexus 7, a 7" tablet designed to mostly compete with the Amazon Kindle Fire, a table that just so happens to run Google's own Android OS, and also to try and pry people away from buying an iPad by offering a more inexpensive option for a tablet. At the same time, Google also leaves their Android OS as an open source piece of software, meaning many manufacturers use it for their own tablets. So while Google allows companies to use their operating system, they also put out a competing product at the same time. This is similar to what Microsoft is doing. They will have their own Microsoft branded tablet as well as OEM manufacturers licensing out Windows RT/8 for their own products. MIcrosoft and Google will both make money on their own product as well as the products they are seemingly competing with.

I believe the main reason for the Microsoft Surface, is for it to be the key selling product for their self branded stores (As much as I hate Apple products, I'm seeing a trend here in copying their marketing techniques). This allows Microsoft to use the Surface Tablet as a direct competitor to the iPad. Microsoft is seeing that the future is in mobile devices with touch screen capability and in order to compete they need to move in that direction. However my main issue with this strategy is it seems with Windows 8 they are alienating those that still rely on standard laptops and desktops for their computing needs. Windows 8 will have a very difficult time in the business world from what I've seen with the consumer preview I've tested. As an IT Tech, I have about 15 windows open at a minimum at all times, and I need to be able to switch between then relatively quickly. The standard desktop setup is what works best for that, and with Windows 8 business users will struggle if they multi task such as I do. I believe Microsoft should take another page out of Apple's playbook if they're going down the same route, and develop a standard OS or keep Windows 7, while also developing and pushing a more mobile OS. Apple has the Mac OS for Desktops and Macbooks, while utilizing their iOS system for iPods, iPads, and iPhones.

So comes the questions, is it smart for Microsoft to try and compete directly with Apple by copying exactly how Apple sells their products? Should Microsoft focus only on touch screen devices with Windows 8? Will Microsoft's Surface Tablet be a success or a major flop for the company? And finally, if you had a choice of a 10" tablet, would you choose one with Windows 8, an Apple iPad, or one with Android on it?

In THEORY, all of this is tremendous.

I would love to access my PC's desktop on my tablet or smartphone (for the purpose of this post, pretend I have either of those), manage files from my Xbox 8, and access things like Netflix from all of them and being able to transfer what screen I'm watching on if I needed to.

However, everything I've heard about this venture gives me no faith that this will be a success. Windows 8 seems like a failure waiting to happen just based on what I've heard from the PC side of development. It's an OS optimized for a touch interface PC's generally don't have. So many things people are used to and trained to use have been changed or taken out with no option to put them back, like the Start menu or Programs List.

I fear that the "integration" we're being promised will work just about like the Media Center Sync does now, which means it will be pointless and not what I want.

Add to the fact that this only really will help you if you NEED all that cross-device streaming, and you have all those devices in your home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back