• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Mick Foley put my ass in this seat" - The forgotten hero of the attitude era

jpfizzle

Pre-Show Stalwart
Along with the golden age, and perhaps even surpassing it, the Attitude era is one of the most famed and popular eras in proffesional wrestling history. With an unprecidented amount of competition between WCW and WWF, the likes of which has never been repeated, many see the attitude era as the one thing that gave WWF the edge. The breif period of time (about 5 years depending on who you ask) further drove WWF home as the single biggest company ever seen in proffesional wrestling.

So who where it's stars??

Easy, Stone Cold Steve Austin, the biggest baddest son of a bitch on the planet and the biggest name in wrestling since Hulk Hogan! The Undertaker, the phenom, and what a phenom he was, one of the single most frightning characters ever whitnessed on television. The Rock, the most electrifying man in sports entertainment, one of the most popular and well recieved stars ever! HHH, a man so familiar with the main event scene he is close to being recognised as one of the most celebrated athletes of all time.... Now to the crux of my article, I put it to you that all of these names would be half of what they where if it wasn't for one man... Mick Foley. Therefore by this logic, the attitude era would never have been as succesful or over without the presence of perhaps the most under appreciated gems ever signed by Vince McMahon.

I take you to January the 4th 1999, smack bang in the middle of the attitude era and right in the epicentre of the monday night wars. This night a show, pre-recorded the week before would feature the Rock taking on Mankind in a WWF title match, a rareity for free TV and a move that in hind-sight could be seen as a desperation match for the WWE who where falling behind in the ratings to the live show WCW. On WCW's show that night, comentator Tony Shiavone anounced to the world that Mick Foley would win the match, he then sneeringly remarked "like that would put bums on seats." Oh Tony, Tony, Tony; if only you knew how right you where. That night, WCW's main event, Hogan Vs. Nash and the eventual conclusion of the reformation of the nWo LOST 500,000 viewers imediately! That's huge numbers showing that Mick Foley is a major draw. Moreover, I'd like to further emphasise my point that Mick Foley made the attitude era, not just by getting his own gimmick over but by driveing everyone else around hims gimmicks to the moon!

Starting with the Undertaker, when the time was right for the phenom to step away from Paul Bearer, it was Mankind who made the storyline realistic. He was deranged and scary and this combined with the fear generated by the Undertaker created one of the most watchable feuds the WWF have ever produced, and this is just scrapeing the barrel. Lets go back to the 1998 King of The Ring, Steve Austin vs Kane in a first blood match where Austin lost the title, but that was overshadowed and forgoten about almost in relation to another match on the card, arguably the most talked about match in WWF history... Undertaker vs Mankind in the third ever hell in a cell. For wrestling purists there wasn't much suplexes or mat wrestling, but it provided the two most iconic bumps I as a wrestling fan have ever whitnesses. Firstly, Undertaker grabbed Foley and threw him off of the !2 ft Cell and THROUGH the Spanish anounce table. This alone cermented Undertaker as a vicious, monsterous, inhumane character who we all remember him for in the attitude era, but Foley wasn't done, he wanted to make this match one that would be remembered well beyond his and the undertakers respective careers... he climbed back up the cell and was then chokeslamed through the cell and then through the ring below! A chair falling on him knocking him unconcious and costing him a tooth! Well, Undertaker would always be remembered as the man who nearly killed Mick Foley, but it was Foley taking the bumps, it was Foley who helped make the Undertaker such a remarkable success in the attitude. Without Mick Foley the Undertaker would never have been who he was, MICK FOLEY SHAPED THE UNDERTAKER!

The Rock, does it matter that he would never have been half of the wreslter he is if it wasn't for Foley...for once yes it does matter... Mick Foley made the Rock... Mick Foley was being aided by Vince McMahon, who foley was looking up to as a farther figure at the time to the finals of a tournament for the vacant WWF title at Survivor Series, he met the Rock in the final and remarkably Vinny Mac turned on Foley meaning the Rock turned on the people and joined the corporation! No one saw this coming and the consequences meant it cemented Foley as the company's second biggest face yet the rock had just become the biggest heel the company had seen since Andre the Ginat turned. To cement the Rock as a huge heel, let us fast forward to the Royal Rumble of 1999 where the two met in an I quit match, unlike in the hell in the cell match, The Rock, Foley's opponent took his fair share of bumps but none of them surpassed the abuse Foley took in order to get the Rock over. These included 11 un-protected chair shots, that right there is dedication and the Rock reaped the benefits. I could stop here and still claim Foley made the Rock, but I am still scraping the tip of the ice-berg... I know fast forward us to August 1999 and the introduction of one of the most popular tag teams in Wrestling history: The Rock and Sock connection. Did this help the Rock??? Hell yeah, the rock and sock connection spawned the higest rated segment in RAW history when Mick Foley provided the Rock with a very special "this is your life." Yet another example of Mick Foley helping out another main-eventer who reaped the rewards with Foley getting little back in return, in my opinion, the rock and sock connection helped the rock a hundred fold more than it helped Foley. The Rock wouldn't nearly have been as succesful in the attitude era without Mick Foley and as AGAIN the Rock was one of the eras biggest stars, I put it forward that FOLEY MADE THE ATTITUDE ERA!

Further proof? Triple H and the McMahon helmsley era.... they would not have been anywhere near as important if it wasn't for Mick Foley. Mick Foley getting fired and rehired and then fired again before headlining Wrestlemania, all of this wasn't helping Foley, it was the McMahon-Helmsleys who where reaping the benefits as they're characters of ruthless dictators who where prepared to just dispatch of over talent as and when they pleased worked like a charm...BECAUSE OF FOLEY.

Foley has even helped to shape the two top heels of today, the rated R superstar edge, and last years PWI wrestler of the year Randy Orton, it is Foley's feuds with these two that helped cement them as ruthless heels. Randy has his monnicker of the legend killer largely in part to MICK FOLEY!

What else do we think of the attitude era for other than the stars? I tell you..chair shots, tables, ladders, two-by-fours wrapped in barbed wire on fire, thumb-tacks? YUP, you name it and the attitude era had it as a weapon. May I remind you that Mick Foley was in the first ever Hardcore match on WWF tv AND later was the winner of the famed hardcore championship? Mick Foley bought his hardcore style of wresling over to the WWF and when the attitude era embraced this style it went over like a charm...

So next time you see a discussion on the attitude era and why it was a success, remember, keep your Austins, Rocks, Takers and H's.... There is just one man the attitude era could not have done without and that is Mick Foley.

I've been Jpfizzle, credit to Shocky and Wikepedia, Goodnight.

Damn straight Fizzle, one of the better articles I've ever read.

I mark out hard for Mick Foley. People like to bash his style, particularly Flair fans that drink the old Bastards Kool-Aid like it was water with the, "oh he's just a glorified stuntman" crap. Fine, you can think that way, but Foley said it best a few years later, and I'll paraphrase because I don't have the exact quote. Flair is jealous of Foley, for all the 60 Minute Iron Man Matches, for all of the World Titles, more people will remember Mick Foley because he got thrown off of a cage then they will Ric Flair. So True.

If there was ever an MVP of the WWF/E, and especially of the last 12 years, it's Mick Foley. Randy Savage in my opinion was the WWF's MVP from 87 until 94, then Bret Hart took that role. Randy Savage was responsible for making so many people look great in the ring because of how amazing of a worker he was.

Mick Foley was great because the he bumps and sells like no other. Without Mick Foley, The Undertaker would have been the slow stale monster he was in the mid-90's. Mick Foley brought out a certain aggression within the Deadman. Made him wrestle a more violent style. Triple H, I could go on for an hour on why that man owes Mick Foley not once, but twice, for making his career worth a damn. Likewise with the Rock. There was a reason that the WWF decided to put Mick Foley against Steve Austin at the beginning of the Austin Era, because Mick Foley makes people look damn good.

Like he said, Randy Orton and Edge are arguably the two biggest heels in the business today, and none of them would be where they were if it wasn't for Mick Folely making them pay their dues, and then him selling like a mother fucker to make them look incredible in the ring.

And I could go on about Mick Foley. But why, I've named a half a dozen of the biggest names in the business the last dozen years that owe a huge chunk of their careers to Mick Foley. I could go on about promo ability. I honestly believe that Mick Foley cuts the best promos in the history of the business. Mick Foley is still better on the mic then probably anyone in the WWE, and I daresay he was better then Austin, Rock, Flair and even Hogan when it came down to cutting promos with intelligence and substance.

A well written article, but I'm going to have to disagree with certain parts. While I'm incredibly thankful to Foley for making The Undertaker the wrestler he is today - despite occasional relapses - and for giving The Rock and Triple the best matches and segments they'll ever have, I feel the line must be drawn somewhere.

That line is this. The Attitude Era could have been done without Mick Foley. Am I saying Foley wasn't monumentally important to the Attitude Era? No, I'm not. Am I saying that he wasn't the most important component? Yes I am. That title goes to Stone Cold Steve Austin, Vince McMahon being a close second. The coat of polish Foley helped apply to The Rock also means that, ironically, he's got to duke it out with the great one for third spot.

As for Orton and Edge. I agree that Foley gave them the gift of much needed credibility, Edge in particular. However, I will say that, like the Attitude Era, both could have functioned without him.

Other than that, I'm totally in agreement. Foley doesn't get nearly enough credit for what he's done for the world of wrestling, and the landscape of it today would be vastly different (probably worse) without him. I'm just surprised you didn't dedicate more to the hardcore style, which, in my opinion, he perfected. He's not the most brutal hardcore wrestler, but he's certainly the best. Oddly enough, he wasn't involved in my favourite No DQ match though.

Well, I can say that I am quite famuliar with the night that you are reffering to. I was watching Nitro that night, and to tell you the truth, it was easily the worst show they had with Goldberg in it ever. Having him arrested for sexually assaulting Elizabeth? Easily one of the worst storylines of ECW during that time. I also recorded RAW that night and can say that it was much better than WCW was. I was a huge WCW fan, but that night is one of those where the company started to lose me. I was fetting irritated and just lost with what they were doing.
As for Foley? Foley is the man, and wherever he is working, I will tune in. I have been watching his carreer for years, going back to WCW even. Either way, I was one of those guys that was not happy to see Cactus leave ECW and Mankind did take awhile to grow on me as I was a huge Cactus Jack fan. In the end though, Foley made Mankind a great character and that was what mattered. I'll watch him wherever he goes. Could the Attitude era have still happened without Foley? Yes. Would it have been as fun though? Nope, not really.

A nice artitvcle, and Foley doesnt get the credit that he deserves . But the Attitude era would have gone ahead without him. Sure, he helped make Taker popular again and helped with the rise of Triple Nose and The Rock. But The Rock was heading for greatness anyway, he just needed some sort of push thatw asnt forced upon the fans.

If there is one manw ho doesnt get the credit for the attitude era, it has to be Heyman, followed by Vince and Bischoff. Those three guys made wrestling what it is today, with sex and swearing (Heyman), reinvigorating the careers of old timers (Bischoff with Hoan, Svage wetc) and for Vince for taking the Heyman forumla, putting it behind believable characters and the wwf took off"

The "glorified stuntman" arguement can only go so far when it comes to his legacy. He's obviously not one of the most technically sound in the business, but he always delivered in his big-time matches, and gave some of the greatest promos I've ever seen. I mean shit, he gave the promo of the year thus far 2 weeks ago. He was willing to put his body through anything just to get a guy over, and that means more to me than the egomaniacs of the business who've won 20 titles.

While we're on the subject of him, rumors are swirling that he won't be returning to the commentary booth on Friday Nights. All I can say is that if that promo was the last act he does in WWE, atleast he went out with a bang. Or I guess you could call it a Bang Bang, Yeah!

Ok lets get some things straight.

1. Mick Foley did not make Undertaker popular in the Attitude Era, Undertaker was already behind Austin in popularity before then. If anything Undertaker made him more popular than he was.

2. Mick Foley did not make The Rock popular, The Rock was already over as a heel and for 2 months as a face was getting crowd reactions near Austin's level until Survivor Series 1998. Same thing as Undertaker, if anything Rock got Foley more over than he was because of Rock's heel turn.

Probably the one person that Foley helped out was HHH. Foley and The Rock put HHH over a lot more in 1999 than Austin and Undertaker did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back