Mick Foley in...Nostalgia: The Story of One Man and His Sock

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
Alright, as we all saw on Monday, Mick Foley returned to declare his interest in winning the 2012 Royal Rumble. He was cut-off by Dolph Ziggler during this promo and in essence, laid the groundwork for a potential feud with the young upstart. Now, Mick's known for putting over young, future/present main event talent. Triple H, Edge, Randy Orton and so on. Dolph Ziggler appears to be next in line, but is that all Mick's here for? Is it just for the one more WrestleMania programme?

Mick could feud with Dolph and he would put the brash, young superstar over as only Mick Foley could. Hell, the match wouldn't even need to be blood-bath (though I think Foley would try and force the issue as I've heard him praise the use of blood in these type of matches before). But Mick doesn't have to disappear afterwards. Oh no. He could very easily stick around.

In 1996, Jake Roberts did a very similar thing to Mick Foley. He returned for the Royal Rumble that year and went on to work at WrestleMania XII...oh and he put some dude named Steve Austin over in the King of the Ring final. Don't remember what happened to him. Anyway, Jake remained with the company until he relapsed into his old drug and alcohol problems in 1997. Why bring this up? Well, why not use Mick Foley in a similar capacity? Mick works his programme with Dolph, but maybe, just maybe, he impresses a higher up (Vince, HHH, Teddy Long, maybe even Johnny Ace) who hires him on as a regular talent.

Mick would progress from Dolph to perhaps Jack Swagger, an ally of Ziggler's. Lord knows Jack needs someone to take him aside and work with him on his mic skills which have somehow relapsed into the child-like state they were before his World Heavyweight Championship run. Anyway, the point is, Mick is a useful guy to have around. He was useful in 2000 when he was putting guys over as the Commissioner after he retired from in-the-ring.

He was useful in 2004 when he put Evolution over. He was useful in 2006 when he had a solid 6 month run with Edge and Ric Flair. He can be useful again. He looked a little sluggish sure, but who wouldn't love to see Mick wrestle a hand-full of matches again throughout this year. It helps further Mick's legacy as a brilliant talent even more, it helps the younger talent both on screen and in the back and it helps the process of creating new stars.

Oh, and one more thing, this thread was 100% D-Man approved.

Im not to thrilled about seeing another Mick Foley return to the ring. If you watched him in TNA you can tell that his age and injuries are catching up with him. With WWEs restrictions we probably wont be able to see a crazy hardcore match that hes known for. I mean there no blood, no chair shots to the head, no thumb tacks, no fire. If they do decide to do Foley vs Ziggler I would keep it short in sweet. Put in the middle of the card and have Foley job in 10 minutes.

Personally, he just doesn't look fit enough to go with a young guy. He could barely walk, or run. When he ran down to the ring and across it later he looked awful. Saying that, his DDT was quite good, so who knows.

I fully agree that Mick Foley could be very useful in helping put over some of the younger talent such as Dolph or Cody, heck he could even help revive Drew McIntyre's career since it seems to be going nowhere. Mick Foley has helped get younger talent over where ever he has been whether it was TNA or WWE last time he was there which is more than you can say about Triple H who seems to squash any young superstar's push unless it is too big for him to stop ie. John Cena or Randy Orton. Mick does not need to be a full time performer again but used in a 2-3 month program to help get someone over would be nothing but positive for the WWE in building up the superstars of tomorrow.

Oh, and one more thing, this thread was 100% D-Man approved.

You're dead to me.

It's already been noted that Mick Foley didn't come alone on Monday night. Oh no, he brought two new friends with him - Booby Smith and Jugs McCoy. That's right; Mrs. Foley isn't the only one with a fabulous pair of knockers - her baby boy now has his very own pair! He's only been off screen for, like, two months. Where's he been all this time, Burger King?

I'm in the camp that says Foley can be used in more than a one-off match, or more than a one-off match and five minutes in the Royal Rumble. If there's one thing I believe in, it's ol' One-ear. Foley's style never relied on athleticism, speed or agility, so age and weight has never been as big a problem for Foley as it has for many of his colleagues. But - and this is a big butt - he really does need to hit a treadmill; maybe go to Subway instead of Burger King. Focus on the cardio and slim down to his familiar pudgy frame that we all know and love.

Then? Sure. I'm strapped in and ready for the biggest comeback since Hulkamania was resuscitated in 2002. That, and I'm out of fat jokes.

I wouldn't mind the idea. It's universally known that Foley has the midas touch for putting people over and Ziggler is on the cusp of main event status just as Edge and Orton were when they went toe to toe with Foley and his sock. If done right it could be a big summer for Ziggler on the back of wrestling a great hardcore match with Foley, i think it's safe to assume it's going to be a hardcore match given Foley's new gimmick as the jumbotron.

Foley's size is a concern though, i was watching his hardcore match with Orton at Backlash this morning and he looked like an olympian athlete compared to the Foley we saw jiggling around the ring on Monday. I think he could just about get through a match at wrestlemania with Ziggler but i would be hesitant on having him wrestle anymore after that given his physical limitations unless it was in another hardcore match. Just have him run around the Nevada desert in a black bin bag to help him shed some of that excess weight first though.

Yah Foley doesnt look good at all hes put on alot of weight as of lately!! I mean Foley has never been the most fittest person but at least he could go!! If I was in charge of the E i wouldnt let foley step foot in the ring for his own safety!! If he does go against Ziggler i keep it around the five minute mark!!!

Foley has always been good at putting people over as others have noted. But he has gotten rather large as of late and should go on a diet before he gets back in the ring. But all in all I would love to see him and ziggles in a hardcore match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back