Michael Vick Hopes to Own a Dog Again One Day...

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=345736

If you ask me, Vick doesn't deserve an animal again in his life, unless it's to be thrown to the fucking wolves.

He may have "paid his price to society" by completing his prison sentence, but that doesn't make him any less a killer. His past is still there, and I don't care how "rehabilitated" you think he is, the monster still lives inside him.

Child molesters who get out of jail (but serve their sentences) don't get to be around children, , so why the fuck should you get to be around another dog, Vick, you piece of shit?

Thoughts on this? Do you think Vick should ever be allowed to own an animal again? Why or why not?

If he feels it's a part of the rehabilitation process which I certainly see that, then I don't have a problem with him owning a dog. If he goes to Goodell with it, I'm sure Goodell will look at it carefully and if he allows him to, he would monitor Vick like he has in the past.

Yes he should own a dog again, it will do nothing but good. You have the biggest criminal to dogs in recent history trying to prove that he's not a monster. This can all be good press so I don't see the issue, you know he's never even going to lok at that dog funny for fear of repeating his offenses. When the president of the Humane Society says you should own a dog I think it's safe to say he's rehabbed enough to own a dog.

I'm a little skeptical about this too. Vick would still be running dog fights if he hadn't gotten caught, so why in the world would you want to put him in a position where he could even be tempted to do so? It would be like a recovering alcoholic going to a liquor store just to look at it. It's simply not a good idea. Being around dogs is probably not a good idea for him at all so no, this probably isn't a good idea at all.

If he feels it's a part of the rehabilitation process which I certainly see that, then I don't have a problem with him owning a dog. If he goes to Goodell with it, I'm sure Goodell will look at it carefully and if he allows him to, he would monitor Vick like he has in the past.

So then you'd let convicted child molesters run baby-sitting rings or adopt children after they were let out, to show they were "rehabilitated" too?

If he wants to show his rehabilitation, let him donate to shelters, or start his own foundation —*there is no need or reason to have him own a dog again ever in his life. None.

Dog fighting and fondling young children are most definitely on different levels.

Owning one animal as a pet is different that having a kennel full of pitbulls, and I get the feeling it's gonna be tough for Vick to get any kind of underground crime circle going.

We do live in the nation of second chances, and I'm willing to give Vick a second chance. Just because he was involved in dog fighting doesn't mean he still didn't care about his dogs, and from everything I've read Vick has always "loved" animals. He may have been brought up thinking that Dog Fighting was a normal part of life, but that doesn't mean he still can't care for an animal.

Dog fighting and fondling young children are most definitely on different levels.

Owning one animal as a pet is different that having a kennel full of pitbulls, and I get the feeling it's gonna be tough for Vick to get any kind of underground crime circle going.

We do live in the nation of second chances, and I'm willing to give Vick a second chance. Just because he was involved in dog fighting doesn't mean he still didn't care about his dogs, and from everything I've read Vick has always "loved" animals. He may have been brought up thinking that Dog Fighting was a normal part of life, but that doesn't mean he still can't care for an animal.

No one is disputing that, but they are comparable in this case, and the reason for the correlation is relevant.

As difficult as it may be for him to return to his old ways, he wasn't convicted of simply running the fighting ring — he was convicted of brutalizing the animals. He hung dogs with extension cords, beat their bodies, electrocuted them and drowned losers in a shallow pit of water by using his own body weight to hold them under — there's a degree of severity you are not taking into account here that matters very much. He brutalized these animals, which tells me that something in his brain found pleasure in torturing animals. The number of them is irrelevant, as he could possibly be just as brutal and savage to one as he was to dozens, especially living with it on his own in his own home.

Vick has his second chance already — it's called his life. There's no reason to start giving the man the same privileges he'd have had prior to his conviction, just as there's no reason to do so for ChoMo's.

No one is disputing that, but they are comparable in this case, and the reason for the correlation is relevant.

As difficult as it may be, he wasn't convicted of simply running the ring — he was convicted of brutalizing the animals. He hung dogs with extension cords, beat their bodies, electrocuted them and drowned losers in a shallow pit of water by using his own body weight to hold them under — there's a degree of severity you are not taking into account here that matters here. He brutalized these animals, which tells me that something in his brain found pleasure in torturing animals. The number of them is irrelevant, as he could possibly just as brutal and savage to one as he was to dozens, especially living with it on his own in his own home.

Vick has his second chance already — it's called his life. There's no reason to start giving the man the same privileges he'd have had prior to his conviction, just as there's no reason to do so for ChoMo's.

While I'm familiar with methods of torture that Vick was convicted of, he has multiple accomplice's in his dog fighting ring, and I remember during the trial there was a dispute as to who actually tortured and murdered these dogs. I don't truly believe that Vick was responsible for all the torture and all the murders. While obviously he funded the whole thing, and is in turn responsible for what I happened, I have my doubts that he preformed all those acts.

None of us really know what happened, we've been given a general idea, but that's about it. Vick was made out to be a scapegoat in that trial, and whenever a judge decides to make a name for himself by convicting someone famous I usually find it hard to digest all the "facts" as being completely truthful.

The United States has a very high double standard when it comes to Animal cruelty, the government seems like they could really care less about it, and only act when things are brought to their attention.

We slaughter millions of animals on an almost daily basis, and we are always hearing stories of animal cruelty at farms, yet most of these are brushed by the doorside. As long as the animals are killed and the food stores get there's than the government seems to care less how the animals are killed, or if they're kept in respectable living condition. The government is an absolute joke when it comes to animal cruelty, which is why I take the Vick trial with a grain of salt.

On top of this, there are certain nationalities that consume Dog on a regular basis, and there aloud to do so (not legally) but there's nobody stopping them.

The government could have done so much more by going after corrupt farmers or one of the many other form of animal cruelty that take place everyday, but instead they went after a celebrity's small time ring. That way it looks like they're doing something when in fact they could care less about Animal Cruelty.

Blam. I see where the comparison comes from, but they are two entirely different types of inappropriate and harmful conduct, and to attempt to draw any parallel between the two to make a point is foolish. It's like when homophobes try to justify not allowing gays to marry because they claim it would open the door to legal incest/bestiality/etc.

He's never going to get the kind of time and privacy to even attempt something like that again if he ever had another dog as a pet. Seriously, does anything think the media wouldn't (pardon the term) hound him anytime he so much as took the dog out to piss and shit? I think a lot of people need to investigate what he was charged with and what he was guilty of, because he's not going to be able to start an underground dog fight crime circle off of one dog.

Agreed. His crimes were reprehensible, and they will follow him for the rest of his career and his lifetime, and rightfully so. But he's not some Chester Molester, hiding out in his van by the neighborhood park, struggling to contain his urge to go snatch up a child. At worst, give him some court-appointed dog training and handling classes or something. I see no immediate danger to one dog under his care that any other dog in any other home in America would be subject to.

No, they aren't. We'll get back to this at the end.

As difficult as it may be for him to return to his old ways, he wasn't convicted of simply running the fighting ring — he was convicted of brutalizing the animals. He hung dogs with extension cords, beat their bodies, electrocuted them and drowned losers in a shallow pit of water by using his own body weight to hold them under — there's a degree of severity you are not taking into account here that matters very much. He brutalized these animals, which tells me that something in his brain found pleasure in torturing animals. The number of them is irrelevant, as he could possibly be just as brutal and savage to one as he was to dozens, especially living with it on his own in his own home.

So now your emotional reaction and conclusion to the situation is grounds to determine the liberties of another? For the record, the "official" stats given are 6-8 dogs hung or drown tallied up to Vick personally. There is no mention of his being present during the day-to-day handling of the dogs, and much of his end of the operation was in the funding and in the promotion. There is no mention of him being present during the "training" off the dogs; Tony Taylor was found to be the man who ran operations and led in training both the animals and the other defendants. Permits and licenses had to be obtained for any of them to set up the kind of operation they had in place to start with. I don't think he's going to be able to obtain those in the future, so I don't see how there's any risk, as starting a dog fighting ring in your living room would be pointless (no proper equipment, no opportunity to make any money off of it) and stupid (goodbye living room, and then some).

Funny, I don't recall those being privileges that were ever officially taken away.

Anyway, back to why "ChoMo's" are a different situation. Vick wasn't a serial murderer of dogs, as per the legal definition of a serial killer. He wasn't a mass murderer either. His objective very clearly wasn't to set out and start torturing animals for fun; his goal was to be in on a business for profit. That's not to say that I think running a dog fighting ring and/or animal cruelty in any shape or form is acceptable, but I don't think you should be classifying him as an uncontrollable predator (the comparison you are trying to make with Child Abusers) when really his actions are closer to that of "standard" homicide associated with underground business and gang/mafia type situations. Detestable all the same, but not much in common enough to warrant comparison beyond that. Convicted murderers are and have been legally allowed to raise children, but oddly those situations don't draw as much national attention an scorn as when a public figure is involved. Are we really reacting with fairness and justice in mind, or are we just looking for an easy target?

I'm a little skeptical about this too. Vick would still be running dog fights if he hadn't gotten caught, so why in the world would you want to put him in a position where he could even be tempted to do so? It would be like a recovering alcoholic going to a liquor store just to look at it. It's simply not a good idea. Being around dogs is probably not a good idea for him at all so no, this probably isn't a good idea at all.

I always got the feeling that Vick participated in it as a way to go along with the crowd, not as something he got his jollies off doing.

I'm pretty sure Vick doesn't surround himself with people like that anymore, so I highly doubt he would get that urge to fight dogs were he to own one.

Anyways, I have no problem with Vick owning a dog. I love dogs as much as anyone here, but what Vick did can be redeemable, and I think for him to truly feel what he did was wrong, he needs to experience the love a dog can bring to someone. Right now I bet there's still a part of him that doesn't understand why people like us love dogs as much as we do, and he'll never understand that until he loves a dog himself. So, why not try it out?

I understand why some would be outraged, but in reality, its hard to imagine that what he did would happen again. Listening to his comments and thoughts have told me he never really understood what he was doing was wrong. He grew up in that culture-and while its not an excuse-is something that can't just be dismissed. As was mentioned by others, there would be no chance he ever gets an opportunity to start it all up again. I'm sure he doesn't hang around those same people, and he would never be allowed to own that many dogs, nor do I think he would try. He would never lose the public's eye.

Another thing to consider is the fact that he's not stupid. You honestly believe he would risk it all again after what it cost him the first time? This man is still in huge debt, that he's trying to pay off. Would he risk earning a lot of money just so he fight dogs? I highly doubt it. He has been given a second chance. He knows that. I also believe he understands-to an extent-the issues people had with his actions. He's been able to look at it and see the wrong.

One final thing is that this isn't so much for him as it is his family. He said so himself in his comments. His kids want a pet and ask about it. Unfortunately for them, they have to wait until his probation is done. But come on, you think he's going to bring a pitbull as a pet? That he's going to get the urge to want to kill them or fight? Extremely doubtful. After everything he's been through, I'm sure Vick understand the opportunity he has been given and wouldn't risk it for dog fighting.

I actually am going to agree with IDR on this. Why does Vick think he needs to have a dog to redeem himself? Whether he did that sick thing because he was truly sick, or if he did that just to go along with 'peer pressure' which would be even more heinous as well, that's just sick. Sadly, no matter what Vick does can redeem himself. As much sadness and deplorable acts he's caused in the name of 'trying to be a big shot' with this sick animal cruelty behind his name, I don't think karma should ever let him have a second chance with this. I know some people think I may be going a little overboard with this, but that's okay, animals can't speak for themselves, its disgusting what he did, as someone who's volunteered and worked in a rescue shelter and seen the animals from these places, your heart breaks and to see firsthand what these animals have been through when someone sees profit in living beings that love unconditionally, it makes you realize that someone has no soul. If a woman was being beaten by her man, and he goes and gets 'rehabbed' no one would really be in a rush to have her go back to him. I think he can just better prove himself by just donating money or time volunteering. I'm sorry, but I'll always be a skeptic when it comes to someone taking their agression out on the helpless.

What wait? Vick hopes to own a DOG one day? You mean, the same animal that he was went to prison for torturing and participating in brutal deaths of? As much as the thought sickens me, I can easily make a case for WHY he should be allowed to own a dog again.

Where Vick grew up, this was an inate part of his culture. In other words, it was as normal as playing a game of backyard hoops, or tackle football. It was a learned behavior based upon the society and culture from which he grew up in. Im not justifying that it was a good learned behavior, quite the opposite. But it's not the typical antisocial behavior you see from people who get off on that sort of thing.

If it is indeed a learned behavior, then its a behavior that can be unlearned. Im sure 19 months in jail gave him plenty of time for him to grasp how wrong this behavior truly is. He deserved the prision sentence, as you can't use a "culture" issue as justification for a horrendous action. But using the same logic, having spent that time no doubt "rehabilitating", he likely spent every day facing the reality as to WHY he was in the mess he was in. That's usually a powerful way of producing effective change in a human being.

But the man paid the price for his actions. From all accounts, he's come out a better person, and has an new perspective on life. Not all infedils remain unfaithful forever. Not every person who commits spousal abuse continues down that road. Not every alcoholic or drug addict remains hooked forever. All of those people are given second chances, both at life, but in the similar situations they were in before. Why shouldnt Vick be allowed the same freedom? He paid his debt to society, so how is it any of our concern whether he wants to get a dog or not? It isn't.

As an animal lover myself, and one whose still coping with the accidental death of my own dog three weeks ago, its hard for me to give him the benefit of the doubt. My dog was like a child to me, and its still very heartbreaking knowing she died in my arms. While Vick may have every right to get a dog as is his freedom, he's got nothing to prove in this case. He's had his chance to truly love an animal, which I think is a quality all of us are born with. For anyone whose lost a pet they've adored, Im sure they would agree that it's hard to comprehend giving a man who brutalized that same animal another one. But it's his right, and while I don't like the idea, Im certainly not one to make a prememptive judgment as to what would happen if he did get a dog again.

In the culture Vick grew up in dog fighting was seen as a sport and not as a bad thing. Vick obviously knew what he was doing wrong but it's hard to change the culture you grew up in. However, he is now a completely different person and has been rehabilitated through his jail time and suspension. He has done tons of charity work and made a lot of donations for animal shelters. He wasn't some serial killer out there torturing dogs for fun, it was part of the "business" he was in so to speak. It doesn't excuse it but don't act like he is some crazy psychopath.

The man has kids and like any kids they want a dog. It's not like he's going to be buying 50 pit bulls and keep them in kennels. He wants to get a pet, just a family dog for his kids. Once his probation is over he should and will certainly be able to get a dog.

.... I get the feeling it's gonna be tough for Vick to get any kind of underground crime circle going.

That's true. Honestly, I don't think he tortured dogs because he has an innate hatred of them. It's just that he was a rich, arrogant, pampered celebrity who was allowed (and even encouraged) to do whatever the hell he wanted in life. If his buddies suggested he front a dogfighting ring, he elected to do it because he didn't give a damn about anyone but himself. That said, I think it would be okay for him to have a dog now.....because it would be the most cared for pet that ever lived. Vick wouldn't dare mistreat it, and it would have a great life because he knows what would happen if it didn't.

He may have been brought up thinking that Dog Fighting was a normal part of life...

I'd just like to point out that the reason the NFL punished him so severely wasn't just because of the dogfighting. When the story first broke, Roger Goodell called Vick in and told him: "We'll back you 100% if you swear to me you had nothing to do with this."

Well, Vick swore to it and I think his problems stem as much from his telling his employer a bald-faced lie as much as what he did to the dogs. It's the arrogance of believing they can get away with absolutely anything that gets these guys in trouble. If he's truly learned to curb that arrogance, he's a much better person for it. But none of us really knows if he's reformed or if he's just saying the right things when the cameras are rolling.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=345736

If you ask me, Vick doesn't deserve an animal again in his life, unless it's to be thrown to the fucking wolves.

He may have "paid his price to society" by completing his prison sentence, but that doesn't make him any less a killer. His past is still there, and I don't care how "rehabilitated" you think he is, the monster still lives inside him.

If a person kills another person due to drunk driving, or even an accidental homicide, they aren't banned from driving for the rest of their life. Once a rapist gets put back into society, they aren't subjected to only find a job with same-sex co-workers. The lists could go on; but the overall point is with all of that being known - why is this such a big deal that the guy is saying he'd like to own a Dog?

He made a lot of mistakes in his life, and since being reformed and released he's since turned a corner. At least from a media standpoint, anyways.

Yes, he did a horrible thing and to be honest I think Vick saying this was a mistake because all he's done by saying such a thing is drawn drama and bad attention to him. People (like you, for example) don't care how many corners he's turned or how reformed he'll ever be. The past is something some people can move on from; but when you're a celeb trying to escape it and rebuild yourself for the better.. all the public cares about are the mistakes you've made, regardless of the good you're now doing.

In my opinion, Vick has done nothing since being released to prove he doesn't deserve another opportunity to own a pet/dog. Anyone who feels he shouldn't own one is simply not wanting to forget or forgive him for his past mistakes. And while that's fine, to not want to forgive or forget - it's not our place to determine whether or not he deserves another chance. Afterall, no one's perfect and everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Micheal Vick was never actually shown on any peice of video tape murdering or troturing a damn fucking thing. Some guys who faced either major jail time if they didnt talk, or basically nothing if they blamed it al on Vick, said he did. Just saying.

So fucking what. If the man wats to adopt a farm full of those little fucks and give them good lives, then let him. Hurts nothing, effects nothing. A positive if anything. The past is the past.

There are two incontrovertible facts that put this entire thing to rest.

1. Michael Vick would dare do anything wrong to the dog because if he did, he'd be crucified. He'd be watched so closely it's sick.

2. Chances are, he wants a dog to make ammends both with the public as well as to cope with his own guilt.

That's that.

Come onnnn Vick! People were just starting to warm up to you, now you say some outlandish shit like this. I am up in the air about this personally. I think if they watched him incredibly closely, which pretty much comes without question, he MIGHT be able to own a dog. I just can't see them letting him own another dog. Not after what he's done. Then again, like NorCal said, they never had any video proof, just word of mouth. Sooo..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back