Meltzer: Cena's Mania match "won't be celebrated" and "isn't good news".

Discussion in 'Wrestlemania XXXIII' started by The Life Of Pablo Ren, Jan 31, 2017.

1. The Life Of Pablo Ren

The Life Of Pablo Ren I know my name/avi/sig don't match.

I'm not sure if this conflicts too much with the thread JH made about Orton/Cena so of it is, feel free to merge but yeah.

According to Meltzer, he's reporting that the impression is that Cena's WrestleMania match "wouldn't be celebrated" and that it's "not necessarily good news," according to a source.

This can be taken one of two ways in my opinion:

The first being, it won't be that high profiled of a match. We might get something like Miz and Maryse vs. Cena and Nikki, which I guess wouldn't be horrible but it would be a far cry from what was reportedly set in stone just a month ago and other rumors that we've heard.

OR

Cena vs. Orton... I don't think many would celebrate that and could be considered to be "not good news".

Of course as always, take this with a grain of salt.

2. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

And the grain of salt has been taken, because there's literally nothing to go on with what Meltzer said. I'd chalk this up to sensationalism. Cena vs. Joe could be considered "not necessarily good news" since it's neither a championship bout or as high profile as his feud with AJ Styles has been. We can spin this any way we want. "Wouldn't be celebrated" could be Reigns vs. Cena because Roman Reigns is the drizzling shits as a face character if they decide to do that for some reason. Maybe he fights Ambrose for the Intercontinental Championship, a farcry from eclipsing Flair's record like many of us want/believe to happen.

Not enough to go on here. I still think Orton/Cena is highly unlikely.

Xemmy likes this.
  3. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Not celebrated, I think it means that it won't be a high profile match.

Not good news. I don't know what to make out of this. Good news to who? Vince? Cena? Us? There's a big difference there :p

4. THTRobtaylor

THTRobtaylor Once & Future Wrestlezone Columnist

Hasn't Cena just signed up for a new movie? That's probably what this means... the 16th title is the beginning of his "disappearance".

Personally I take it to mean we're not gonna get what we want to happen with Orton/Wyatt... people will be cussing if Cena v Orton is the match rather than Wyatt v Orton.

I get the sense they're going with a Reigns/Taker/Strowman triple threat, you've got Shaq v Show to fit in... Owens, Jericho, Possibly Balor, Ambrose, Rollins v Trips... Goldberg v Brock... there's not many places they can put Cena.

5. bnn52

bnn52 Occasional Pre-Show

I am calling Cena has a mid-card match at Mania with Baron Corbin. The feud can be set up at EC and continued on the Road to WM.

Thad had a match a few weeks back that was a pretty good match and teased more to come in the future. Cena can win the match at Mania and not hurt Corbin at all.

6. The Life Of Pablo Ren

Do you really think that was a good match? I thought they made Corbin look like a fool especially after they had done such a good job with him in the previous few weeks. I can't remember the last time I saw Cena hit his comeback, 5 Knuckle Shuffle and AA all in succession without any problems to win a match let alone to win a match against somebody that was supposedly credible.

7. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

I for one would like to see a real Ambrose vs Cena feud. These two always bring out som much intensity in their promos. I always wanted to see something between them since 2014 and their short programm this past year made me want to see more.

Ambrose will likely do nothing important at WM, Cena seems to be in for a midcard match, why not Ambrose vs Cena? The build-up will be great and both guys will be on the line as to who might turn heel.

Ambrose also needs some sort of redemption after that failed Lesnar match.

8. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I read about that earlier today and there's not remotely enough information given for me to have any clear idea one way or the other.

I don't see Cena vs. Orton for the title happening and reasons for why the match shouldn't happen have all been preached from on high for the past couple of days. If Cena's match won't "be celebrated", then I see that meaning he drops the title at EC, gets his rematch on SmackDown Live, fails to regain the title and doesn't have the usual high profile bout we've come to expect from Cena.

The past few days, I'm wondering if Cena's 16th World Championship win was rushed/moved up because he won't be around much after WrestleMania. I mean, you'd think that there'd be some sort of big celebration or something with Cena tying Ric Flair's officially recognized World Championship runs. Fireworks goin' off, confetti raining down, maybe Ric Flair himself coming out to give Cena a hug, etc. but none of that happened. Maybe they're saving it for tonight or maybe they're not treating it like a huge deal because it's going to be a short run. If that's the case, I'd have just let Styles retain. If that's the case, I'd have just let Styles retain.

9. wwe fan2009

wwe fan2009 Pre-Show Stalwart

Ugh I bet its Cena Vs Orton. I mean unless there is a title change on SD do you really see him dropping the title in 2 weeks at EC its the only SD ppv before WM

10. The Life Of Pablo Ren

I just listened to WOR to see if there was any more and Meltzer said that it wouldn't be something that he (meaning Meltzer himself) or anyone would else would be celebrating. So I guess he was referring to us.

11. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

He hasn't been a big deal at Mania in four years and that was a rematch from the prior year. Goldberg/Lesnar, Vince's son in law, and UT's corpse seem to be Vince's selling points for this Mania. I would not be surprised if Cena went on in hour 14 of this 27 hour extravaganza.

12. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

That's good to some extent. Cena will be back on the selling attractions of WM after UT, Lesnar and HHH retire which could happen pretty soon.

13. WorstWrestlingExcrement

WorstWrestlingExcrement Getting Noticed By Management

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/801...n-video-of-cena-and-harper-vs-wyatt-and-orton

Proof is in the pudding Randy Orton will be beating john cena for the title once and for all as he said he is going for 13 and hoping he will lose it a few times this year to tie or beat cena record over. T here is no celebration cause Randy is winning it and this guy deserves it more than anyone else who has been left with a shoulder injury over 6 months and meaningless feuds that got him nowhere!

WM33

John cena vs Randy Orton vs AJ Styles WHC

14. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

Why does Nick Paglino have the grammar of a gradeschooler? I call bullshit on this article. Did somebody steal his account or has he always been subpar? Inquiring minds would like to know.

It's still sensationalism. And the article says nothing about Orton winning, let alone any concrete evidence of the dumbest possible match to add to Wrestlemania. People are interested in the Wyatt/Orton pairing, because the characters are perfect foil for one another while also finding commonality. When they blow up, as is custom, it will make for fun television. Tickets will sell and asses will be seated.

But with that being said, your proposed Triple Threat isn't all that bad.

15. Tsunaru

Tsunaru Occasional Pre-Show

This was actually GOOD for Nicky boy. Glad to see he's actually being productive for a change and working on improving his writing rather than just deleting my comments that call him out on shit and pretending it never happened.

On topic, I'm guessing Cena vs Orton will in fact end up being the Mania match. It seems the most likely to disappoint fans due to it being so overdone (if Meltzer's words are indeed true). Either that or he ends up facing off against/completely destroying some mid-level talent that the fans really like.

16. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No disrespect to meltzer or anything because he's one of the most respected dirtsheet reporter out there but that just what he his, a dirtsheet reporter and he reports things on what he heard from somebody that's not in their in the booking meeting.

Personally, the way the mania card is shaping up, I don't see where you would put cena on the card that would mean something. I for one, if his match is a throwaway match, I would love to see him face ziggler, I think these 2 would have a great match for this show.

17. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

If Cena eliminates Styles at the Rumble, their overall score in their battles becomes 3-3.
    MITB: Styles
    Battleground: Cena
    SS: Styles
    No Mercy: Styles
    RR: Cena
    EC: Cena

So why not, have Styles attack John Cena after he's eliminated? Then Bray can become the WWE Champion by pinning Cena last. This of course leads to a big and final showdown between Cena and Styles, more personal than ever before.

I find this way more "draw-ish", than throwing Cena in a midcard match and Styles against Shane O'Mac.

What better way to end the Styles vs Cena saga, other than a final chapter at Wrestlemania?

18. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Rumours making the rounds are that the match will be John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. The Miz & Maryse. Not to sound like a dirt-sheet writer myself, but speculation suggests that this is happening because Nikki's neck problems are actually forcing her to retire sooner rather than later (I.E. at/after Mania) and as a result Cena has personally requested this match. WWE aren't really in a position to deny Cena favours and as such the match is reportedly a go.

If this is indeed the case, that would fit in with Meltzer's line of thinking and his 'won't be celebrated' and 'isn't good news' comments. Having said that, I think it's a perfectly serviceable match, paying off Miz's great work since the brand split and possibly even bringing his angle with Daniel Bryan to a close (given Bryan's connection to both Cena and Nikki). It's also an actual story for the midcard which is always welcome.

Of course this is all merely speculation and could very well be revealed to be utter nonsense, but hey, it actually makes sense and would work for both its male combatants and the female ones too.

19. The Life Of Pablo Ren

Where did this originally come from? Because I saw it too but I was under the impression that it was originally suggested by some nobody and that it just started to gain some steam because, "Oh yeah, that makes sense I could definitely see that".

After watching Smackdown last night, and I'm gonna channel my inner John Campea for this... I got the vibe that they're either gonna do Cena vs. Harper or... Cena vs. Orton. Forgetting AJ cuz I'm almost certain he'll be with Shane, I think the rest of the top of Smackdown's card is gonna be filled out with those four guys in some sort of combination. I don't think they're 100% set with Orton vs. Wyatt for WrestleMania. I think it's highly likely, like a 90% chance but I do think that Orton vs. Cena happening next week has a purpose, and that's to see the crowd/fan reaction. If it's overwhelmingly positive, I wouldn't be surprised if they went through with that for Mania and then had Bray go against Luke Harper. If they do Orton/Wyatt (which again ultimately I think they will) then I think Cena loses the title in the Chamber due to Luke Harper's interference and we find out that his break up from the Wyatt's was all a ruse and we get Cena vs. Harper for WrestleMania. I think that would fit with Meltzer's report too.

20. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

Not really sure where it originates from but a variety of relatively sizable sites carrying it. I mean the part of me that wants AJ/Shane to be just a crap rumour really did ponder the possibility of them running Styles/Orton for the title, Wyatt/Harper and this tag match as a pretty solid SmackDown line-up, but I think that's probably fantasy land booking and we're more likely to see Orton/Wyatt, AJ/Shane and something with Cena.

Versus Harper would interest me as I think he's a massively undervalued talent and such a high profile encounter would delight me personally. Sadly I would imagine he'll be relegated to either the ARMBAR or be in whatever cluster-much they concoct for the IC title. Given that Taker/Cena was taken off the table because Vince wants to 'help build the future' (I recall a report that said that somewhere), it's possible we see Cena and Corbin mix it up, but I think I'm siding with the tag match for the time being.

21. OYDK

OYDK King Of The Ring

That's what I was thinking. The guy faced Bray Wyatt, Rusev, and nobody over the past 3 years. It's not like Cena has been in mega-matches lately.

John Cena can face anybody at Mania and it will be considered a main event caliber match. That's the beauty of John Cena. The only match I can think of that fits Meltzer's criteria is Cena/Orton and even than I wouldn't complain. Even Miz/Maryse vs Nikki/John is good enough for me. Than again, I'm relatively easy to please.

22. roipdh123

roipdh123 Getting Noticed By Management

I would be all in for either Cena vs Miz or Cena vs Styles.

23. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Rumor going around is that it will indeed be Cena/Nikki vs Miz/Maryse. It will be Nikki's last match and the company wanted something big for her, plus there's a notion that Cena might propose to Nikki after the match..

I don't really care. It makes sense for the Bryan/Miz feud to end with Bryan's family involved and quite frankly Miz and Cena will do an amazing work in the build up.

24. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

There is really no reason to be worked over this year's Wrestlemania. The talent pool is immense. Okay sure, this might be the worst combination they could come up with given their talent, but I get the bussiness notion behind of this and the card will still be good.

25. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

I maybe wrong here.

But last time I actually saw Cena's last moves in succession without any blockage was against Lord Tensai at Raw or Smackdown. I was even shocked that Tensai didn't reverse any last move of Cena. I haven't seen it anytime else.

As for Cena/Bella Vs. Miz/Maryse, I guess that there's no doubt that Nikki and Cena will win if it happens as rumored. About the match, it would take 10-15 minutes and I'll probably skip this match even though the wrestlers are talented here. The Miz had the best year of his career and a match against Cena of all people isn't bad. Not my cup of tea/water/coffee though.