• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Maxed out gameplay

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
One of the greatest feelings in the world is to have your characters in a video game be as strong as they can possibly be, and then go pick on the weakest enemies of that game. For some people it's probably not worth all the time it takes putting in on making yourself powerful without the use of cheat codes though. Here is an example of what maxed out gameplay is like, for those who have never gotten there, from a game that should look a bit familiar to anyone who has ever read my posts. ;)

[YOUTUBE]f7B35kic90E[/YOUTUBE]

So here are some questions for discussion.

1. Have you ever had a game where you got to the point where your characters were completely maxed out? (This doesn't have to be an RPG, it could be any type of game.)

2. What was it like to be able to use the most powerful skills at the most powerful strength level?

3. Was it worth taking all the time to power up and reach that point? (Or did you used a cheat device to get there?) Why?

4. Should there be some sort of incentive for reaching a maxed out strength level in more video games? Some award you with an achievement if you get there. What about an optional quest/level of some sorts that is not unlocked unless you get maxed out? Why or why not?

I am very interested in seeing what each of you have to say. Just remember to include your reasons for why in the last 2 questions, as this is a non-spam section.

EDIT: The video should work now. I had forgotten to tell youtube that it's ok to embed it or play on phones.

1. Have you ever had a game where you got to the point where your characters were completely maxed out? (This doesn't have to be an RPG, it could be any type of game.)

Yes, I've had games where I've cheated to max out. But, I've also had games where I actually worked hard to max out. Most notably, Megaman Battle Network 2, or a DBZ Game for the Gameboy Advance.

2. What was it like to be able to use the most powerful skills at the most powerful strength level?

Fucking awesome. Especially when there was still stuff to do like in Megaman. Even after I maxed out, there were still various places on the net that I still had never been to. There were bosses I had never fought, and missions I had never completed. Being maxed out made it easier for me.

3. Was it worth taking all the time to power up and reach that point? (Or did you used a cheat device to get there?) Why?

Like I said, I've used both. I've only used a cheat device for a game like Pokemon. But for Megaman and DBZ, it was definitely worth taking the time to get to that point.

4. Should there be some sort of incentive for reaching a maxed out strength level in more video games? Some award you with an achievement if you get there. What about an optional quest/level of some sorts that is not unlocked unless you get maxed out? Why or why not?

Oh definitely. That would just add to a game that you obviously like. I wouldve like to see something in the DBZ games where you can actually start a new story mode with one of the bosses. I actually think that not having a bonus after maxing out is a problem in many games. Once you max out in some of them, there's really nothing left to do. So you're pretty much forced to just walk around doing nothing.

1. Have you ever had a game where you got to the point where your characters were completely maxed out? (This doesn't have to be an RPG, it could be any type of game.

Yeah, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on Xbox 360. I played that game soooo much, that it's actually got to the point where I can't play it anymore. There's nothing to do without starting an entirely new game; which is something I'm never going to do. I don't want to go through all of 2 months work for the exact same results again.

HAAA, 'twas epic. Now that I think about it, I actually spent a few years playing Runescape online and got to quite a nice level on that. I never cracked 100 Combat though, I was 94 I think. I think i had 2 99 levels and about 60M in cash. Took me absolutely ages to get all my levels, money, items, armor etc.

When I was playing Oblivion on Xbox 360, I deffenitly thought it was worth all the time I spent. I felt incredibly proud once I'd got everything I'd set out to get since the start of the game. Wicked run. I have cheated before aswell, I used an emulator on the PC for Pokémon Gold (which I'd already completed twice over, years previously on GB and GBA) getting the best Pokémon to at least Level 50 to start with, making it incredibly easy by the time I'd got to the 4th gym leader. Gameshark codes work wonders. I used a DS Action Replay for my second run through Pokémon Diamond aswell. I ended up with a Dragonite, Rayquaza and Charizard as my 3 starter Pokémon, and yes; I got all three of them.

I only really used the gameshark's and stuff as a first time thing though. Just to see what they were like, y'know? They turned out to be really fun. Nothing like having a 'shiny' legendary Pokémon, even though it's orange. xD

Yeah, I definitely think that there should be some more stuff to do once you're at the maxed out level; it'd definitely make the game that much better once you've 'completed' it. Maybe even if you had to wait a few in-game days after doing everything for another quest to appear or something, that'd still be pretty awesome. I suppose that's what the DLC stuff are for nowa'days though..

Great thread as always, DD. :)

One of my own maxed out gameplay stories would be the first time I used a cheat device to max out in Final Fantasy 6 back in 1994. I was curious to see who had the most Health Points out of the characters at level 99 so I put in the Game Genie (yeah, goin OLDSCHOOL here!) and got everyone maxed out after the three scenarios arc. I had my answer, Edgar and Sabin had the highest health. Then I decided to keep playing, just for fun. I ended up re-playing the whole first half of the game that same night, breezed right through it destroying every boss in one or two turns. It was an amazing feeling. Granted I did use cheat codes that time, but knowing what to expect afterwards it made it worth it to level up to maximum strength in other games without cheating. I've enjoyed picking on weak monsters with maxed out characters ever since. I like the idea of having an optional quest in a game that the requirement is you being maxed out, you'd HAVE to be maxed out in order to even stand a chance against the optional boss waiting at the end. You know, one of those Omega Weapon type bosses who could obliterate the world even faster than the main villain if he wanted to, but would rather hide in some temple until some bored gamer finds him? Yeah, one of those. Having it be required to max out before facing a boss like that one would be a great idea because it would get more people to go through the trouble of grinding or seeking out the cheat codes.

On another note.... I fixed the video in the first post, so if anyone missed it do check it out. It's me picking on monsters that have 6 Health Points while I'm at a maxed out level. :)

Most definitely. When I play games (generally old school games), I'm the guy spending hours on end trying to find hidden power ups, extra lives, and more ways to make my character the biggest badass the game has ever seen.

I did this in the DBZ: Legacy of Goku (1 & 2 on GBA), Earthbound (SNES), Chrono Trigger (also SNES), and of course every Pokemon game that was worth a crap.

Only Immortal can really be used to describe that feeling where you know you can't be killed, and you get to decide which poor sap is going to meet their god.

As mentioned, I am that guy that spends forever looking for a means to make my dude indestructible. The goal is to win for me, not by the skin of my teeth I hate that. So to me at least it is all worth it.

I don't agree with special achievements. That gets more people doing what I already am. If they're not smart enough to figure out you're character gets stronger the more time you spend killing off the weak, then I don't know how they manage to win anything. I know that's a rather selfish thought, but it's video games. I am a tyrant.

As for a special quest/level for maxing out, I can support that. Would be nice to know there is more to do after the fact you have proclaimed yourself king.

I did this on Kingdom Hearts and it presented a problem: the game was WAY too easy afterwards. When you max out, nothing can hurt you for the most part and there is zero challenge. Sephiroth, the hardest opponent on the game, was more or less no match for me anymore as a few shots would defeat him and I had equipped spells that would allow me to refuel on magic for every shot I took which would allow me to use a spell to give myself full health again. More or less I was unhurtable and I didn't die after reaching the top level. The game got boring and there was little to no point to playing anymore. And I didn't use cheat codes.

Shin Megami Tensei:Devils Survivor is awesome this way.First playthrough yea cool but then at day 7(you have 6 days before this)you make a choice to take a characters route and there are seven routes able to unlock.So after you beat the game you get new game+ and can start the game again with your main characters at lvl 1 but you have all your money, and your endgame demons with you.I'm still going onto the 5th route.ANd there is a lvl 99 boss demon I havent beaten yet.Grinding to get to him but even grinding isnt that hard.

Personally myself the only game i've ever done this in was the poke'mon series. I've been playing for years and on the orginals i'd have like 35 to 40 hours to get one pokemon to lvl 100. Thats cool and all, but now with the advent of the Wifi battle system its awsome.

I started out having a full team of 100's on sapphire. I maxed out my Dexx and then got a full team to 100. I took me 165 hours to do it. Basically over the span of time between the new enstalment of games. With Diamond a Peral I did the same thing, but in less time. I ended up having a team of 100's in 90 hours. Trust me thats not an easy feat, as the gameplay could take you anyware from 20-30 hours just to beat the elite 4.

I decided to go out and get one of the new games here in may. As of now I've beaten the whole game, and I'm working on getting all the new and old ones traded over to this game to max out my dexx. I have a full team of lvl 100's and then I have 10 extra lvl 100.I've never cheated or used a game hacking system.

I'm not acually that into the game I just really play it before bed for about an hour or two. I beat the gameplay in 12 hours and then got a full team to lvl 100 around 45. I've just really been playing around now.

As of right now I have 155 pokemon, 77 hours played, and a group of lvl 100's to battle with. I also if needed have 10 lvl 100's in the bank to play around with.

I have never really maxed out in any game by myself. The only thing I maxed out was a Kadabra on Pokemon Emerald. I got him to lv. 100 on my own. I got disappointed that I didn't have another gameboy to evolve him earlier.

I think it wasn't worth it. I wasted a lot of time on that and I pretty much stopped playing it. I get bored of those games where it takes you a long ass time to max out. Maybe Fire Emblem counts. I maxed out a few characters for the one on the Gamecube and Wii.

It felt cool to use some of them in Fire Emblem, but in other games like Pokemon it just made the games boring. I used rare candies though gameshark on some of the games.

Yeah, Residental Evil 5. When I was playing it through to get the achievements for having beaten the game on all 3 levels, I had upgraded every gun I had, as well had acquired infinite ammo. I had so much health built up that it made me impossible to kill.

I won't lie, it felt really good. I had battled hard at the lower levels just to defeat the major bosses, so to defeat them with ease later, at a harder stage, was nice. Knowing I had put the time and energy into it with a payoff was a good feeling.

It was worth it, because I genuinely enjoyed the game. I had gotten my butt handed to me so many times in trying to build my character up that when I finally got there, it felt really good. The replay value of the game was good too, so it was highly worth it.

I think this is an excellent idea. I think when you scratch, claw and fight your way to beating the game on every level, an extra, previously unlockable level would be awesome. With Resident Evil 5, for example, they gave you the "professional" level if you beat every board and maxed out with "A" grades based on accuracy, time, and kills. The problem was, professional was impossible to beat. One hit, and your dead. That's not exactly a great payoff for working through all the previous boards at an elite level. Having that extra level or quest to play for would be an ideal alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back