• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Matt Striker

"Cool Guy" Jensen

Undertaker for Champ!
So, I've been watching NXT for the past, uh, since it's debut. I've come to notice that a particular pro and rookie tandem has been uniting themselves for one purpose. In the past 2 weeks of NXT, Cody Rhodes and his rookie, Husky Harris has took it upon themselves to make an example out of Matt Striker. For no reason, other than to "make an impact", both Rhodes and Harris attacks Matt Striker.

When asked to talk about the situation on-screen, he simply doesn't want to get involved and just shrugs it off. What if there is more to it?

Just a couple years ago, Matt Striker retired from in-ring competition and has since been a commentator for WWE programming. I agree that he is the best commentator in WWE today. However, what if these attacks continue? What if Cody Rhodes and Husky Harris continue to attack Matt Striker? Can it result in Matt Striker's in-ring return?

Striker wasn't the best wrestler, or the worst. Would like to see Striker return to the ring? Is this going to lead to his return to the ring or am I looking too much into this? I personally think Matt Sriker would do quite good as a part-time wrestler and commentator. Thoughts?

I also noticed this and started thinking about the possibility of him returning as a result of these attacks. Remember that it started with the NXT rookies making their first impact on RAW against John Cena and CM Punk. During that moment, Matt Striker was attacked for the first time. I think we could see him return to the ring for a brief time just to settle some matters with NXT rookies or Cody Rhodes himself. It could be interesting. I've always liked seeing Striker's reverse overdrive. On a side note, I feel that it's still way too early for Striker to retire from in-ring competition. He's not injured and unless he really doesn't have the desire to wrestle anymore, I don't see why he should continue hanging up the boots at 35 in favour of solely commentating (as much as that may be his strength).

Would it be so impossible for Striker to return? I think not. There are so many others who take the extended leave and then return to the ring whether its for a good run or not. Granted, we don't know where this could lead, I think it would have to wait and see where this all plays out. Unfortunately 9 out of 10 times those persons who come back from a self imposed retirement/hiatus usually are on their way out.
Take a look at the JBL treatment when he got back in the ring during his last tenure with WWE, and I hate to bring up a tna group of people, but only because they are WWE alum, but you have to also figure Hogan and Flair's current attempts at wrestling right now. Their re-instatement into wrestling is more show than what it used to be. As talented and intellectual as I think Striker is, I do think it would best suit him to remain a vocal piece and stay as an announcer/manager role. If not for the entertainment, but maybe for the longevity of his career.

I doubt it will lead to a full time return. Matt Striker was only OK in the ring, and is a 10 times better commentator then he ever was a wrestler. When JBL returned, he was a former Worlds champion, and a very mega-over heel. Striker was always just a lower mid-card wrestler at best, whom became almost exclusively a manager (Big Daddy V) before becoming a full-time commentator.

All that aside, I could see Matt Striker doing something like Jerry The King Lawler does, and occasionally wrestling a match on WWE TV. Maybe Matt Striker will Tag with someone to face Husky Rhodes in a 1-off, or even a mini-feud, while being a commentator as well. The only problem with that is the fact that Cody Rhodes is a heel, and Husky Harris seems to be following suit. With Matt Striker also being a Heel, that would lead to an all-heel match, which tends to not go over well with the fans.

Interesting topic. I wouldn't think Matt Striker would come back to wrestle. Plus, I love his commentary. His comments on commentary are so unique and entertaining. I fucking hate Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole. Cole just talks about boring stuff and makes a big deal out of everything. Jerry Lawler barely says anything, he was only good with Jim Ross. And if Matt Striker turns back to being a wrestler... well just look at JBL, great commentator, but the man wasn`t the same afterwards in wrestling then before. I would hate to lose the best commentator in WWE.

Good topic.

My friends used to poke fun at me for liking Matt Striker back when he was a lower midcarder wrestler, but I tend to take a shining to underrated talent. I think if you've got it (WWE), use it. He should definitely remaining in his role as announcer as he's probably the best ring announcer in wrestling since Joey Styles was reallocated to WWE.com, but if the guy can legitimately wrestle, why not use him in a storyline every once in a while where he gets to lace up his boots. Jeez, Lawler does it two or three times a year just to prove he still has one of the best right hands in the business.

I highly doubt it. With Vince basically paying JR to not commentate anymore and him seeming to love Striker, there's little chance. The guy is host of NXT, color guy on SmackDown, and the third man on PPV broadcasts. He has a lot going for him, there's no reason for him to go back to the ring where he wasn't that good to begin with.

I'll be interested to see how they go with it as well.

If you remember the WWE has featured many Jerry Lawler feuds over the past decade since his semi retirement. Yes he's most known as the color commentator but King gets involved with a feud just about every year. I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same with Striker. It looks like he's kept himself in good enough shape to get back in there.

I wonder what his finisher will be since he gave Ryder his.

matt stryker is an awesome commentator but as far as being a wrestler, he never got over. It would be cool to see him work a few more matches but I doubt that will happen but if it does I'd watch, it would be different.

If Striker were to get back into the ring now I think he'd have a better chance of getting over. He'd be a good tweener, some people love him like me, most can't stand him. what I'd really love to see is King and Striker tag against Husky and Rhodes leaving the laptop and Daniel Bryans bitch to do commentary. Then mid match he heads over to the announce table and does some bias color commentary calling himself the Professor of Pain or something else only he would say while kicking the crap out of someone outside the ring. It wouldn't go over well live but at home and on the net it should be an instant hit.Should make for good tv, you know cole would spend the match burying striker.

It might lead to a "One Night Only" return to the ring, but nothing more. When Matt Striker was a wrestler, he was rarely used on television, and when he was, he was nothing more than a jobber. At this point in his career, being an announcer is what's best for him. Not only is he very good at it, I will go so far as to say he is the best announcer in the WWE right now.

Again, if Striker does make an in-ring return, it will be on an episode of NXT against either Rhodes or Husky Harris, and it will be dubbed as a "One Night Only" gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back