Matches that mean much more in retrospect than they did at the time?

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
I watched Bret Hart vs. The Rock from March 1997. Bret was already a 20-year vet and legend, but Rock was, at least in my opinion, a failing mid card babyface who they'd thrown the IC title on in the hopes of getting him over; the guy was getting "Rocky sucks" chants at best, and dead air at worst. Just another match.

Looking back 17 years later, it's a meeting of two all-time legends. Time and what's happened to Rock since have made the match mean something, when it really meant very little at the time and was just something for Bret Hart to do one night.

Any matches you think mean more now than then?

The biggest match I can think of recently would be the WrestleMania 19 match with Austin vs. The Rock. It was unofficially Austin's last match that we the fans didn't know at the time. Austin had just been hospitalized the night before Mania and it was the last big match The Rock had before he went permanently back to Hollywood. Also, it was one of the last times that The Rock was really The Rock. That match was epic and in retrospect, was the end of an era. It was the last time Austin would meet The Rock at WrestleMania or any other event and was a fitting end to such a legendary rivalry.

Oh man, Macho Man v. Ultimate Warrior WMVII. Watching Macho Man, and rewatching his psychology, and his talent. I look back on not really the technical piece of that match, cause let's be honest, Warrior wasn't a technical in ring worker, but really watching the way that Macho handled that match, and then Miss Elizabeth and he reuniting. Then, their reunion kicked off the wedding storyline, which kicked off the Jake Roberts line, which culminated with the Jake v. Undertaker stuff. So, from this match we have the incredible talent of Macho. We have the end result that is the Undertaker getting the solid rub from being paired with Jake and a giant face turn. We have the wedding angle, which if you were a kid in the 80s and 90s, you freaking remember this storyline. It just all worked so well.

The writing was just infinitely better back then. The wrestlers were cheesy and gimmicky. The whole thing was hokey as shit. But the psychology of the stories were amazing.

For me, and I realize this is drawing from a pretty recent moment in pro-wrestling history, was when Daniel Bryan took on Batista as a member of the first NXT cast.

There was mad heat directed toward Miz and especially toward the WWE by the IWC regarding Bryan Danielson debuting as the "rookie" Daniel Bryan especially when compared to The Miz. The WWE baited those fans by having Michael Cole constantly mock Daniel Bryan and by having Daniel Bryan go on an initial losing streak against the rest of his cast members.

Daniel Bryan was tasked to face Batista. Batista at the time had an ultra-cocky persona and this played right into the hands of WWE creative. Miz asked Daniel to please not lose right away, to which Daniel stated that he would make Batista tap-out. The match was absolutely amazing, I honestly didn't expect Batista to give up nearly as many spots as he did. There were moments during the match where Batista was struggling desperately to reach the ropes when caught in one of many submission attempts made by Daniel Bryan. In the end, Batista won clean. The match itself sent echoes through the minds of fans that had never experienced Daniel Bryan's talents outside of a WWE ring.

It would prove even more symbolic when Daniel Bryan would make Batista tap-out as the finish for the main event of Wrestlemania XXX.

A Match that will be forever remebered now and then would be undertaker vs brock lesnar, but for a match that is important long after it was done and not so important at the time doesn't really ring any bells for me.

Perhaps Sami Zayn vs Cesaro it was a epic match but it's not that big of a deal give it a few years and if sami or cesaro are huge stars people will look back on that match as a huge deal.

And for WWE Cm punk Cashing in on Jeff Hardy for the whc, at the time nobody really expected cm punk to become as big as he is now or at least was before he left, and its just interesting to go back and watch both cash ins hardy was my fav though cause it was the start of punk turning heel, and that led to the epic 2011 summer of punk.

Ric Flair vs Sting at Clash I. Sting at the time was barely two years in the business, not well known. They did get a Main Event on a nationally televised card but few people expected much from Sting. Lex Luger had been on the main stage a full year longer, had just quit The Four Horsemen, and was clearly being groomed as the next top star. Barry Whyndam was extremely popular and well established and Dusty Rhodes was still on the scene. At the time, though Sting had obvious athletic talent, he really didnt fit in the top tier of stars, hadnt been around long enough to be well known to fans, and wasnt really expected to get much from the match itself. The fact the match now is universally pointed to as the 'turning point' of Sting's career makes it an obvious choice

Another good example is Brett Hart-Shawn Michaels from Survivor Series 92.

At the time, HBK was just a few months into his singles career and the transformation from teeny bopper tag team Rock & Roll Express rip off guy to legit main event caliber star. Although Michaels initial heel turn and singles career got off to a great, well orchestrated start, he was languishing in a comedy feud with Rick Martel. His IC Title win over a heavily pushed British Bulldog seemed like a swerve, an unexpected upset. Hart was barely two months in his 1st run as World Champ, basically getting the title with no set up (despite a very well drawn rise up the card over the previous two years) due to Ultimate Warrior's firing & Ric Flair's injury (caused by Warrior). Though S-Series was a premiere event and the match was for the World Title, the set up and storyline was an after thought compared to the "other " main event, a tag match featuring Scott Hall (in the midst of a major push after signing from WCW), Flair (returning to after a 6 week injury related abscence), Randy Savage (who spent much of the year as World Champ) and Curt Henning (in his 1st match in over 2 yrs after a near career ending back injury). Considering all those factors, this bout, the first major tilt between these two, didnt at the time look on paper like it would be anything more than an entertaining but not historically important match.

The match was definately entertaining, and it showed that HBK's character could be a very effective heel, more than the comedy act he and Martel were doing previously on the mid card. More than that, this was the first major tilt in what would become the defining feud of both men's HOF careers, a near decade long battle on TV, at the house shows, and behind the scenes. Looking back, this bout stands as one the most important in the creation of their rivalry as well as HBK's ascension to the top tier of WWE, Getting the audience to take him seriously in that role. Given how this match looked and was promoted at the time, this is an excellent example of a match that became far more important historically than it was initially.

Two matches that debuted on supplemental programming before moving to main event years later:

HHH vs. Undertaker on Shotgun Saturday Night

John Cena vs. Bryan Danielson on Velocity

I think we all can tell how the rematches went years later.

Flair-Michaels 91

I believe it was on Prime Time Wrestling. Shawn was still tagging with Marty but was given a chance to shine in a singles match with the man himself, his childhood hero Ric Flair.
I havent heard Shawn discuss this particular match in a shoot or anything...but I would love to hear his thoughts. Must of been a dream come true.

He stepped up big time that night and I remember Lord Alfred Hayes say something along the lines of, "It would be great to see Shawn Michaels in more singles matches as he is a tremendous talent." Oh he definitely got his wish.

Its on youtube and I highly suggest you check it out.

Didnt mean much back in the day but looking back at it now...damn. 2 of the greatest of all time who would meet 16 years later in Flairs retirement match, well in the WWE anyway.

A pretty good example of this would be the Survivor Series team elimination match from 1990 between Dusty Rhodes/Koko B. Ware/Hart Foundation vs. Million Dollar Man/Undertaker/Rhythm & Blues.

The big example of this is obviously the fact that the Undertaker debuted. While the match was meant to be a big deal as this match was designed to debut a brand new character that was gonna get pushed. But I doubt even Vince and Co. had any idea that Undertaker would go on to become the greatest gimmick character in WWE history, and the man behind the gimmick, Mark Calloway would become one of the greatest wrestlers in WWE history. So the Undertaker's legacy and stature in wrestling history made this match even more important than it was meant to be.

Everyone knows about the Undertaker's debut making this match significant, but the other aspect of the match that made this significant was the final "mini-match" at the end between Bret Hart and Ted Dibiase. This match was also Bret's first "coming out party" as a singles wrestler. For the first time on ppv and national television and at a big event, fans finally got to see what Bret could do in the ring on his own as a singles talent and he delivered as he got the crowd really behind him before losing to Ted Dibiase. Bret would go on to become another one of the greatest stars in WWE history. And this match was the real beginning for Bret's rise as a singles star.

Not to mention that the very first wrestler that Taker fought in the match was none other than Bret Hart. The two biggest stars of the WWE between the Hogan era and the Attitude Era.

So this match turned out to be much more significant than it was meant to be as it was Taker's debut, and also the first real singles showing for Bret Hart at a major event.

Flair-Michaels 91

I believe it was on Prime Time Wrestling. Shawn was still tagging with Marty but was given a chance to shine in a singles match with the man himself, his childhood hero Ric Flair.
I havent heard Shawn discuss this particular match in a shoot or anything...but I would love to hear his thoughts. Must of been a dream come true.

He stepped up big time that night and I remember Lord Alfred Hayes say something along the lines of, "It would be great to see Shawn Michaels in more singles matches as he is a tremendous talent." Oh he definitely got his wish.

Its on youtube and I highly suggest you check it out.

Didnt mean much back in the day but looking back at it now...damn. 2 of the greatest of all time who would meet 16 years later in Flairs retirement match, well in the WWE anyway.

Both Michaels and Flair have talked about the match. It was aired on the Monday Prime Time Wrestling program, right before Royal Rumble 92. Flair was on a major win streak and this match at first looked like it was a throw away to continue his winning, making him a legit threat in the upcoming Rumble.

This was when WWE first started teasing a Rockers break up and the start of Michaels' singles career. In fact, the end result (Michaels is hurt outside the ring, Jannetty throws him in the ring to save him from being counted out but Flair immediately rolls him up for the pin) was the storyline catalyst for the team's final break up/launch pad of HBK's solo career (Michaels blamed Jannetty for the loss, bragging about how he dominated the match prior to Jannetty's "help", and used this as the last straw between them seguing into the famous Barber Shop moment).

As for both men's opinions of the match, both were upset they were only given 10 minutes to work with. Flair felt they could have had a much longer and more competitive match (HBK basically thrashes him for about 9 minutes, misses a move outside the ring when Flair suckers him and moves out of the way, injures himself, and Flair gets the pin) that would have been a better showcase for HBK (the way the match was drawn it basically made Shawn look inexperienced and dumb, Flair easily withstood his initial assault and outsmarted him for the win). TV restrictions at the time didn't allow that. HBK also thought they could have had a much better and longer match, but again TV time restrictions didn't allow, so Flair basically let HBK show as much offense as possible before the finish to give him the best showcase in the short time they had.

Considering that the match was the starting point of HBK's singles career, the catalyst for the end of the Rockers and creation of The Heartbreak Kid character, in retrospect it is a much bigger match historically than originally thought when it first occurred when it seemed like a nice filler match to keep Flair winning heading into the Rumble.

I agree with all the mentioned matches here. Another hidden gems for me:

-Sting (c) vs Mean Mark Callous for the NWA WHC (1 September 1990): possibly the only match these 2 ever had, at least the most relevant one.

-Royal Rumble 2003 match: in 2003 nobody could imagine Lesnar going undefeated in the rumble for 11 years minimum.

-Honky Tonk Man vs Ricky Steamboat (c) for the IC on Superstars (13 June 1987): an unceremonious match which started the longest IC reign in history.

One that sticks out for me even though it may have been somewhat big at the time was Lesnar beating Take in Hell In Cell at No Mercy 2002. When I look back at the many ways Taker put over Brock back in the day it made it no surprise that he ended up beating the streak at wrestlemania.

nWo vs. The Rock & Stone Cold - It was a big deal at the time but it means so much more now cause it's the closest we ever got to Austin vs. Hogan.

Goldberg, Shawn Michaels & Rob Van Dam vs. Randy Orton, Batista & Kane - Not sure if anybody realized it at the time, no one made any mention of it, but this was the first time a WWE, WCW & ECW guy teamed together in a match. And these weren't just any 3 WWE, WCW & ECW guys, these were the companies' 3 most popular superstars.

Bret Hart vs. Hollywood Hogan - The match they had on Nitro was an abomination. It was short and just a trap Hogan had set for Sting, but this was the first and only time these two legends have ever met in the ring.

Seth Rollins vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Leakee (Roman Reigns) - Discovered this baby a few days ago. They're bound to face each other again one of these days, but if you had told these 3 guys at the time that they would team up to form the best wrestling stable going today, they would've thought you were crazier than a shithouse rat.

Here's their Triple Threat match from FCW if you want to watch it.

[youtube]HDel3yUXK-w[/youtube]

I don't think these really get at the heart of the question, but maybe I'm wrong? Most of the matches listed in this thread don't really mean much now. Rocky Maivia vs Bret Hart is not some lost classic now.

My feeling is that the OP meant matches that weren't considered that big of a deal at the time that are now a really big deal to people. The majority of the matches listed in here are matches people don't really care about now.

So, I'll throw a few potential ones out.

Goldberg vs Hugh Morrus: A total throwaway match obviously, it was Goldberg's "debut." Nobody realized at the time that it was the beginning of the streak, and the match is now remembered for being the one that started it all.

Bret Hart vs Steve Austin, WM 13: Yeah this was a hyped match, it was an undercard match at Wrestlemania 13. Nobody knew at the time that it was going to end up on the short list for greatest matches ever, or that the match would change both men's career paths.

Lex Luger vs Hogan, Nitro 1997: OK so it's hard to say a World Title match belongs on this list, but Luger vs Hogan was seemingly the feud that was only there to stall until Sting could get Hogan at Starrcade. Nobody expected Luger to win the title, particularly when the nWo had been dominating everyone for over a year. Yet it happened, and the match that was just a main event that was probably going to end with a DQ or something (or worse, the infamous Nitro "We are out of time!!!") ended with Luger holding the World Title in what might be his career highlight.

Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Jr, Halloween Havoc 1997: Nobody went to this match expecting it to make the list for greatest of all time, but it did. Many think this was the perfectly worked match and was the crowing achievement for both men. It was a brilliant match in the undercard that certainly stole the show.

I agree, I thought the original intent was to find matches that today are viewed as very important historically but at the time not so much. Brett Hart vs Rocky Maivia really has no historical importance at all other than it was an early match between two major stars. I always felt one of the best Nitro matches ever was the April 1996 tilt between Flair & Eddie Guerrero but in terms of historical significance it really has none. It was definitely entertaining, but other than being the first time a rising star Guerrero got a televised match against a legend (nice for his his own career) it didn't add much to wrestling history. The fued it was supposed to enhance had very little to do with Eddie (Flair vs Savage) and in fact that fued was winding down anyway, not ramping up to a major title change, etc.

Off the top of my head I'm going with Nick Bockwinkel vs Hulk Hogan at AWA Super Sunday from 1983. Hogan had been chasing the AWA title for 2 years. This heavily promoted card drew a sell out crowd as fans wanted to see Hogan win the title. Hogan lost on a DQ reversed decision. At the time fans probably thought Hogan would keep chasing the title and eventually win it. The rematches never happened as Hogan went to the WWF. Wrestling history would of been altered if Hogan won the AWA title that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back