• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Match of the Month: October

The Brain

King Of The Ring
Well it’s a new month so here I am with my second installment of match of the month. What’s your favorite match from all the Octobers of years gone by? As I stated in September I’m a WWF/E guy so almost all of my choices will be from there. List as many matches as you want from any promotion, but try to save the best for last. Here’s my list in chronological order except the best is last. I haven’t seen many of these matches for quite a while. It’s all from memory from years ago. I’m sure I’ll forget some and I’m sure some people will make me aware of some I haven’t seen.

Randy Savage vs. The Honky Tonk Man 1987: I love this match. It wasn’t a technical masterpiece by any means, but it sure had a lot of drama. I had been watching wrestling for about a year at this time, but it was this match that got me hooked for life. The hatred Savage had for Honky seemed so real. Honky shoving Elizabeth down was such a heinous act at the time. Savage took a brutal guitar shot. Elizabeth bringing Hogan down for the save was awesome. The two biggest stars finally putting their differences aside and shaking hands was the coolest thing this 8 year old had ever seen. This will always be a special match to me.

Bret Hart vs. Ric Flair 1992: The only time we would see these two legends hook up during their primes. Hart’s title win was so unexpected at the time. Both have done better, but this was still very good.

Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio 1997: I know I said I’m a WWE guy, but I remember this one from WCW. This was quite a match. We were starting to see guys do a lot of crazy spots toward the end of the 90’s, but this match had moves I’d never seen before. For a match that had so many crazy spots, it’s amazing these two pulled it off flawlessly that night.

Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boys 1999: The first tag team ladder match. We all know the precedent these four set that night.

Triple H vs. Chris Benoit 2000: This seems to be a forgotten match. Solid technical match between two greats. One of the better matches of the year 2000.

The Rock vs. Chris Jericho 2001: This is my favorite Rock match. I’ve always felt the Rock did too much punching and kicking. When he tried to go technical it was often sloppy. I think this was his best match. This was a great match and my favorite match of 2001.

Edge & Rey Mysterio vs. Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit 2002: I came very close to picking this as my #1 match. I may change my mind by tomorrow and call it #1. This match was simply awesome. This may be the best tag match I’ve ever seen. Perfection.

Chris Benoit vs. William Regal 2006: A pleasant surprise with the return of Benoit. Solid match between two seasoned vets.

My #1 match for the month of October:

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker 1997: This should come as no surprise. Being the first ever Hell in a Cell made this special. This match had the magical “big fight atmosphere” that I love so much. Two all time greats giving their all in a new stipulation match. Classic.

That’s my list for October. Turns out the October has produced some pretty good matches. I’m looking forward to some replies. What did I leave out? I’m sure a lot of people think Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho from last year should be on this list. That’s probably true. I only saw this match once. It was in a crowded bar as it happened. I need to give this match another look before I can judge it properly.

Definitely Michaels vs. Jericho from No Mercy '08. Go buy it on DVD and watch it again in the comfort of your own house. :p The match had so many amazing spots including Michaels reversing a suplex through a table and a tug of war ending where Jericho finally pulled through I grabbed the title. A ***** match in my book.

I'm gonna have to go ahead and trump both of you. We all know was not only the greatest match, but greatest series of moments in wrestling history was.

Let's go back to Halloween Havok, i believe the year was 1995. Hulk Hogan was making his impact in WCW and Kevin Sullivan formed the alliance to end Hulkamania. At Halloween Havok, he sicked The Giant on Hogan. Not only in a wrestling match for the ages, but A MONSTER TRUCK SUMO FIGHT OF A LIFETIME!

Hogan won the sumo fight, Giant got mad. Hogan accidentally pushed The Giant off the top of the roof of Cobo Hall in Detroit, MI. Was this really the end of The Giant?

Hells no! Somehow, he survives this 100ft+ fall from grace. And he walks to the ring. Hogan slams him. Jimmy Hart turns on Hogan, and of course. The MUMMY!!!

If anyone else remembers this... I feel really bad for you.

On a serious note. Hell in a Cell Michaels vs Taker best HIAC ever.

My Favoruite matchs of October would include, in no order untill the last match

Rikishi Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin: I was pretty young at the time about..9 or 10 but i understood what was going on..Rikishi ran down Austin..Austin wanted revenge, the match itself as expected wasnt a wrestling classic..but it was sure a slobber knocker and it sure felt personal

Randy Orton and Bob Orton vs Undertaker in a casket match: At the time i couldnt see 'Taker losing this match..and it kept me guessing the whole way through..but the ortons won and "Killed" off undertaker..for a month haha

And My Favoruite match os the month of October is..

Brock Lesnar vs Undertaker Hell in the Cell: These two had feuded for 2 months and the month before their match ended in DQ so at the time this match seemed like a logical choice, and what a match it was, lots of back and forth action, 'Taker had entered the cell with a broken hand which added to tension and Paul heymen even gets busted open, a true edge of your seat match...thought 'Taker had it won when he got lesnar up for a tombstone but Lesnar pulled off one of the most amazing counters for the tombstone..even to this day into the F5..as michael cole called it "a career altering event" it really was..really enjoyable match:)

Hope yous enjoyed reading my favourite matchs of October.:)

My favorite match from October, is easliy HBK vs. The Undertaker (Badd Blood 97) That match was awesome. My second favorite, is Lesnar vs. Taker ( No Mercy 2002). I loved that match.

Hells no! Somehow, he survives this 100ft+ fall from grace. And he walks to the ring. Hogan slams him. Jimmy Hart turns on Hogan, and of course. The MUMMY!!!

If anyone else remembers this... I feel really bad for you.

Sadly I remember it so well, that I remember it wasn't the Mummy...it was the Yeti!

Michaels vs. 'Taker from Oct.1997, the very first, and BEST. PERIOD! Hell in the Cell match! Just what a story these two told, two master performers at the top of there game, and really just giving it all they have and so much more!

Goldberg vs. DDP from Oct.1998, is another one I like quite a bit! This is how you make the most of a short match, if only 'Taker/Punk were this good at "Breaking Point". Personal opinions about DDP & Goldberg aside, for some reason, I enjoyed this match quite a bit, and still do!

Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff, SNME 1986. The first televised meeting between the two, was as intense and hate-filled as any one of Hogan's rivalries before or after. The match itself, was not what I'd call a 5-star classic but still an entertainer to the max.

Shawn Michaels vs. Stone Cold, Raw 1996. IIRC this was indeed the first televised meeting between these two! And it's sadly overlooked due to the fact, it was during the down time for the WWF! I really wish Shawn's work would get more praise in this time perioids, outside of his memorable PPV bouts at this time.

Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs. Ric Flair (10/12/92). Being a Bret mark, I just have to put this in here! And while the two men have no fondness of the match, I really didn't see what was wrong with it! Sure, it could've been better, but there was nothing techinicall wrong with it in my eyes! Plus a huge moment for the Hitman, and one of those moments, that will forever be etched in the minds of his fans.

Chris Jericho vs. The Rock (No Mercy '01). This was Jericho's ultimate "fuck you" to Eric Bischoff, winning the WCW title. As a mark for both these guys, I enjoyed watching this from begining to end, IMO the two had really good chemistry together, both on the mic and in the ring, and had enough energy to sell a Wrestlemania if built properly. Even though that never happened, I did enjoy the feud between the two in late 2001, on into 2002, and there matches, had tremendous energy.

Eddie vs. Rey (Oct.1997: Halloween Havoc). In my eyes, this is what truly put Mysterio on the map as a legit fan favourite superstar. Just too bad WCW dropped the ball! Either way, this just goes to show you, how passion and hard work really pays off, and waht happens when you're focused! You get a match like this...

Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit (10/4/99, Nitro). The Owen Hart tribute match! This was more than just a tribute match, these were two master technicians, giving us a true showcase, of pure-raw-full on wrestling!

i don't remember what year it was but the title vs mask match between eddie guerrero and rey mysterio at halloween havoc was one of the best matches of all time.

im going to say the matches and rate them but wont talk about them
with that said these are the best matches in my opinion from the month of october:

The Rock vs Angle (No DQ) No Mercy 00- ****1\4

Edge vs Angle 3\10\02 on smackdown- ****1\4

Cena vs Angle No Mercy 03- ****1\4

HHH vs Orton (LMS) No Mercy 07- ****1\4

Y2J vs The Rock No Mercy 01- ****1\2

Y2J vs HBK (Ladder Match) No Mercy 08- ****1\2

Matt Hardy/Jeff Hardy vs. Edge/Christian (Ladder) No Mercy 99 ****1\2

Honerable Mentions For Match Of The Month Of October:

- Edge\Rey vs Angle\Benoit No Mercy 02- ****3\4

- Rey vs Eddie Hallowen Havoc 97- ****3\4

- Foley vs Vader (Texas Deathmatch) Hallowen Havoc 93- ****3\4

Match Of The Month Of October:

HBK vs Taker (Hell In A Cell) In Your House 97-*****

The best has got to be the:

No Mercy 99 - Teri Invitational Tournament Finals: $100,000 Ladder Match
Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz/New Brood

The rest are just a list of great matches and some personal favorites of my own:

No Mercy 99 - Chyna vs. Jeff Jarrett - Good Housekeeping IC Title Match

Gotta say I really liked this match, I thought the rule reversal was a nice touch, since Jarrett won his first IC Title that way and he did Chyna a big favor.

No Mercy 00 - Triple H vs. Chris Benoit - Great match, technically spectacular.

No Mercy 00 - Kurt Angle vs. The Rock - NO DQ World Title Match - Angle wins his first World Title and deservingly so.

IYH: Buried Alive - Mankind vs. The Undertaker - Buried Alive Match

Badd Blood 97 - HBK vs. The Undertaker - Hell In A Cell World Title Match

Judgement Day 98 - Ken Shamrock vs. Mankind - IC Title Match : Mankind put the mandible claw on himself, I really love this match.

Judgement Day 98 - X-Pac vs. D' Lo Brown - European Championship

Judgement Day 98 - Christian vs. Taka Michinoku - Light Heavyweight Championship

No Mercy 2002 - Brock Lesnar vs. The Undertaker - Hell In A Cell World Title Match

No Mercy 2002 - Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit vs. Edge & Rey Mysterio - WWE Tag Team Championship Match

No Mercy 2004 - Billy Kidman vs. Paul London

No Mercy 2007 - Triple H vs. Randy Orton - Last Man Standing World Title Match

No Mercy 2001 - Edge vs. Christian for the IC Championship. Great match. One of my favorite ladder matches. I prefer one on one ladder matches and this saw a lot of great moments that hadn't been done before. It felt fresh.

RVD vs. Jericho - IC Title Steel Cage Match on RAW

Jeff Hardy beating Johnny Nitro on RAW for the IC Title

I'm probably forgetting a lot of matches....

One that should be on the list is No Mercy 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship Ladder Match - HBK vs. Chris Jericho, any match involving these two is a great match. They have great chemesty! It was the last match they had during 2008 too.

One that should be on the list is No Mercy 2008 - World Heavyweight Championship Ladder Match - HBK vs. Chris Jericho, any match involving these two is a great match. They have great chemesty! It was the last match they had during 2008 too.

Their last 2008 match was in November on RAW.

Match Of The Month: Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker Hell In A Cell Badd Blood. (*****)

2nd would be the tag team match from No Mercy 02.

Bret Hart vs. Chris Benoit (10/4/99, Nitro). The Owen Hart tribute match! This was more than just a tribute match, these were two master technicians, giving us a true showcase, of pure-raw-full on wrestling!

Good call. That was a good match. I don't have the same knowledge about WCW that I do WWE. I overlooked this one and didn't realize it was in October.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back