Master P & the No Limit Soldiers in WCW

CM Steel

A REAL American
The WWE just recently signed Omen & Rachelle St. Claire to contracts to the E coming off the indy promotion No Limit Wrestling. That in mind had me think back to when WCW "signed" rapper & mogul Master P to their promotion. The big press confrence in Atlanta, the rap show on monday night Nitro, to WCW superstars like Rey Mysterio, Konnan, and even Brad Armstrong (R.I.P.) being apart of the No Limit soldiers in WCW.

Master P was all over the place that year in '99. And WCW wanted a piece of P & No Limit records. I still remember on Nitro when Master P's brother Silkk the Shocker went up side Curt Henning's head with a birthday cake in the middle of the Nitro ring on Silkk's birthday in New Orleans that night. Good shit!

But will the No Limit soldiers be something to remember in wrestling history during those years of "The Monday Night Wars" between WCW and the WWF/E?

Awful. Everything about that angle was awful. One of the most overlooked failures in WCW because frankly, there were tons of other bigger ones. This one was spared all of the ridicule because nobody remembers it.

I watched Nitro religiously with a friend of mine who was a huge fan of WCW. I was always a WWF person but still watched all of the WCW shows. I have to be honest. I don't remember anything about this angle other than we made fun of it everytime it was on. I I kinda think we blocked it out. I would have to watch some of that stuff over again to really have an opinion now, but it held no significance for us then.

This is back in 99, right? I hated everything about The No Limit Soldiers. I remember my friends and I making fun of them with that "Hoody hoo" crap.

Another thing I remember was their feud with The West Texas Rednecks. I believe that's where the song "Rap Is Crap" came from. I was a huge fan of Hennig and the Rednecks, but the No Limit Soldiers were pretty forgettable. I'd have to watch that stuff again to refresh my memory on it.

This was an example of what I think REALLY led to WCW's demise and money flow issues. Signing people like Master P who had no purpose in the promotion I feel was far worse than guys like Hogan and Nash winning the WCW Title multiple times. The only amusing part of this time in WCW was when Curt Hennig formed the West Texas Rednecks to go against Master P and the No Limit Soldiers.

I only vaguely remember this and mostly because of the "Rap is crap" reference someone mentioned above and the West Texas Rednecks.

But now that you mention it, I also remember the "Hoody hooooooo" thing as well. And you're right, this is a perfect example of what brought WCW down. Wasting far too much money on worthless roster additions such as this one.

That was pretty horrible. The late Curt Hennig and Bobby Duncam Jr. vs. The No Limit Soldiers. I'm not much of a rap fan, but Master P was prrtty decent, and back then, he seemed to be involved with pretty much everything and it seemed as though every other week No Limit records was releasing an album by one of Master P's no talent brothers or cousins.

This was an example of what I think REALLY led to WCW's demise and money flow issues. Signing people like Master P who had no purpose in the promotion I feel was far worse than guys like Hogan and Nash winning the WCW Title multiple times. The only amusing part of this time in WCW was when Curt Hennig formed the West Texas Rednecks to go against Master P and the No Limit Soldiers.

Yep this was just one of many of ATM Eric's musical brainfarts around then. It seemed like they were trying to catch lightning in a bottle and do something like when WWE was working with Cyndi Lauper.

It was a bad idea. But I think they were trying to pull some of the storylines from the whole DOA, Los Boricuas and The Nation. They just tried to use more of a celebrity approach. But yea it was a horrible idea.

The West Texas Rednecks were formed as a heel stable to feud with the babyface No Limit Soldiers. Ironically, and amusingly, the audiences were cheering on the Rednecks so much to the point of them becoming more popular than the babyfaces. All that money that WCW splashed on Master P went right down the drain.

I vaguely remember The No Limit Soldiers, and as previous posters mentioned it is because of The West Texas Rednecks and "Rap is Crap". I had that song stuck in my head for weeks and even made my own version at work as a teenager (cook at a chicken restaurant) to mock a coworker who was talking trash about me.... I think it went something like this "I like cooking chicken, I like cooking ribs, I like making potpies, and don't forget about spits, but there's this one guy that I hate and he is really fat, I hate **** " . Was it a horrible angle , probably, but it obviously one that had an impact on me that has stuck for 14 years, so I think it did it's job

Master P & No Limit were the biggest music label during 96-00 dude was worth like $600 million he could of bought WCW if he wanted but it was one of them things that WCW tried that would pay off big or fail and it failed badly

I understand why WCW did it. They were trying to make WCW more hip and edgy. This is going along with Savage (stupidly) slapping G. George and Lenny and Lodi etc. They were trying to attract the WWF crowd, or keep the first hour fans tuned in.

The problem is that they unveiled Master P in the south. The demographics just weren't there. So obviously the West Texas Rednecks would be more popular. The feud was actually fairly short-lived and not all bad. You could WCW struggling, not sure whether or not to make Master P a face or heel or a tweener. Also, Master P came up with some of the stuff. He did not understand wrestling audiences and it showed as he was often booed.

This was a classic example of WCW simply not understanding their audience. Their core audience was fans in the South. People who essentially were West Texas Rednecks. People who in the late 90's simply did not like rap. They were never going to cheer a group of rappers... especially over a group of guys that was close to who they all were.

Throw in the fact that they had Barry Windham, who had huge nostalgia cred in the area as a guy the fans really didn't want to boo anymore, and a catchy song in "Rap is Crap" that was more along to tastes of their fans... and anyone who thought that the No Limit Soldiers would be anything but heels just didn't have a clue.

But will the No Limit soldiers be something to remember in wrestling history during those years of "The Monday Night Wars" between WCW and the WWF/E?

The short answer is no, the angle lasted only about 5-6 weeks and was extremely forgettable. Had 4x4 stepped into the ring it might have changed that (that guy was huge) but we will never know if the guy could wrestle because there was no wrestling involved really with that angle that I can remember. I can't remember any of them actually getting in the ring and working a match? They might have but if they did I missed it. I remember them running around yelling hoody hoo but beyond that and a little trash talking the angle was basically a waste of time. It did get the West Texas Rednecks off the ground and they were some what entertaining as they had some good in ring talent. I remember getting a good heel rise out of Curt at the Nitro taping one night as they were walking out and I yelled... Rap is crap but country sucks!... He turned and was rather menacing lol In the big picture though Master P and and the no limit posse was a massive waste of time.

The two things I remember from this mess was the catchy "Rap is crap" song that me and my buddy used to sing along to, and the guy that I think did a match or two called Swoll, he looked like a giant couch with arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back