• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Marquardt Vs. Henderson?

Marquis

Marquardt staked his claim to a title shot last night with a 21 second KO of Demian Maia in a fight that was to determine which of them would earn a title contention spot.

A source told Fighters Only last night that a meeting between Marquardt and Henderson at UFC 105 “is one of the options being considered” for the headline bout of the event.

Henderson had already been linked with a UFC 105 appearance when it was rumoured last week that a middleweight title challenge against Anderson Silva might headline the November card, which takes place in the UK.

Speaking to Joe Rogan in the Octagon immediately after the KO win, Marquardt said, “I want that belt and I don’t know who’s gonna get the next shot, but if you want someone who’s gonna kick Anderson Silva’s butt, you’re gonna give that shot to me.”

But at the post-UFC 102 press conference, Marquardt said he was open to fighting Henderson to determine a number one contender.

“I don’t really care who I fight next. I want to fight the best opponents and I fell like I will get my shot when it is my time,” he said. “[Silva] doesn’t have to be next. I would be glad if it was, but whatever’s next I am excited for.”

A lightweight title fight between BJ Penn and Diego Sanchez was also rumoured to be headlining UFC 105, but that fight may be taking place on an as-yet-unannounced third November event, which the UFC is trying to get a network TV deal for.

That show would counter Strikeforce’s November event, in which Fedor Emelianenko will make his debut for the organisation.

However, if the UFC cannot reach a network TV deal for the one-off show then it is still possible that Penn v Sanchez may headline UFC 105.

Penn, like many fighters whose wages includes a cut of PPV revenue, is known to be reluctant to fight in the UK again as the PPV revenues for British shows are lower than US shows.

But Spike TV - which will be airing UFC 105 - has made money available to make up the difference of lower PPV revenue, which makes the fight economically viable for the likes of Penn.

After UFC 101, where Silva dismantled Forrest Griffin at 205, White indicated that Silva’s next bout would likely be a drop back down to 185 to defend his belt against Dan Henderson. That would be a rematch of their first bout of a year-and-a-half ago, when Silva won with a decisive second round submission.

Soares isn’t so sure that Henderson is the person that deserves the next middleweight title shot.

Since losing to Silva at UFC 82, Henderson has three straight victories: a unanimous decision over Rousimar Palhares at 185, a split decision win over Rich Franklin at light heavyweight, and a middleweight knockout victory over Michael Bisping.

“Does that really make him a number one contender? I feel a true number one opponent (at 185) would be if Henderson fought the winner of Nate Marquardt and Damian Maia,” Soares told MMAWeekly.com. “That would produce a true number one contender... we could take another fight at 205 or a catchweight fight (in the meantime).”

As for his client’s future, nothing has changed.

“I’ve always said the same thing, he wants the biggest fights possible, whether it’s at 205 or 185.”
So it looks like this match might go down to determine who the real number 1 contender is for the middleweight belt. Marquardt is fine with the match up of him versus Henderson for the title shot, and Anderson's manager Ed Soares also wants the match up, but Henderson has stated that he refuses to fight Marquardt cause he thinks he deserves the title shot now, and that if the UFC has this match up they will be left with no future opponents for Anderson.

I'm a big fan of Hendo's, but I have to disagree with him. While I do have them both deserving of a title shot, although Henderson beat more top opponents in my eyes, Marquardt did just beat Maia who was running through the middleweight division in 20 seconds via KO. So Marquardt also has a great case for why he deserves the title shot, which should be be resolved if him and Henderson square off, but Hendo doesn't want that. Hendo in my opinion needs to take this fight. Anderson has 3 fights left on his contract if I remember correctly. I really doubt Dana is gonna waste 2 of those fights on Anderson defending his middleweight belt against 2 people he has beaten before. It would be a dumb move on Dana's part since that would take away a possible superfight for Anderson and the UFC at light heavyweight or heavyweight, wherever he decides to fight. Now Henderson has said if the UFC approaches him with the Marquardt fight, he would pass it up and move to light heavyweight. And although I do want to see Henderson Vs. Silva 2, unless Henderson decides to take the fight against Marquardt which he should, he will most likely have to move up. There will always be contenders at middleweight after Silva defends his belt against either Henderson or Marquardt. It will probably be Anderson's last middleweight defense before he retires. So Henderson shouldn't really care about future opponents, which there are in Okami and Belfort, or Maia if he bounces back.

So what do you think? Should Henderson get a title shot? Or should he fight Marquardt for number 1 contender?

So what do you think? Should Henderson get a title shot? Or should he fight Marquardt for number 1 contender?

Hendo should most definitely fight Marquardt.

I've always respected the hell out of Hendo as a fighter, but as a personality, I've always been indifferent. But this right here really rubs me the wrong fucking way. He's acting like a real bitch, in fact. Seriously, just fight Marquardt and PROVE you're the second best Middleweight fighter in the World. It's not that hard to figure out.

I mean, really... what has Hendo done recently to deserve a fight for the UFC Middleweight Championship? Hmmm.... let's see: Beat a no-name by unanimous decision, won a VERY close split decision against Rich Franklin (a guy who Anderson Silva has defeated twice by KO in the 2nd Round), and beat a guy by doing nothing but throw overhand right after overhand right. Yeah, umm... that doesn't sound like someone who deserves a shot at a Championship to me. However, you add a win to Nate Marquardt to those accomplishments, then yes... he would then deserve a shot at Anderson Silva and his title.

Hendo needs to do what's right here and earn his title shot, instead of politic for it. Hopefully, he comes through with that.

I would love to see Hendo fight Marquardt and I think it is kind of shitty that he says he wont fight him because he wants a title shot. But on the other side Hendo has been on a roll and I think a rematch with Anderson would be great. Hendo took it to Anderson in their first fight and in my opinion won the first round. He just got outclassed by a better fighter the rest of the way and got beat. I think Silva/Hendo 2 could be different and could the most competetive fight yet for Silva. Alas I guess only time will tell. Either fight is really a win win for the fans.

I would love to see Hendo fight Marquardt and I think it is kind of shitty that he says he wont fight him because he wants a title shot.

Actually, I read yesterday that Heno hasn't taken this fight simply because he currently is a free agent and negotiating with the UFC on the terms of a new contract. He feels he deserves more money, and I'd have to side with him on this, whereas before I thought he was just being a douche. However, Hendo definitely deserves what he's asking for here. In just a couple of years, he's done so much for the company; headlined a few shows (one in England), coached on the Ultimate Fighter, present himself to the media in a very classy, respectable way, and trained countless other UFC fighters at his gym, including Rashad Evans.

Dana and the UFC should definitely give him his money, and after that... hopefully Hendo will be a man of his word (which I'm sure he is) and fight Nate Marquardt.

Well hot damn I had no idea about him being a free agent and hopefully the UFC meets what he wants because your right he has done a lot in such a small amount of time for them. And I would truly love to see him fight either Marquardt or Silva. Both fights look very good on paper, at least to me. Thanks for the update on all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back