• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Made In Canada

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
I wanted a thread to discuss Canadian music from the 60s to today. There have been many great bands that have come out of Canada, and some that well... are like Nickleback. But I just want to discuss some of those bands, and maybe spread some knowledge about them. Every so often Ill post something but you can go ahead and talk about some stuff in here. In Canada, music radio stations are required to play 35% Canadian content, so that makes Canadians aware of their music.

One of my favourite bands of all time is a Canadian band, I enjoy their music, which are filled with many Canadianisms. That band is the Tragically Hip. Never heard of them? Well here is your chance.

The first song I would like to put up is one of their New Orleans recordings, called Little Bones. I am not a huge fan of it, but I still enjoy it. It is about a local cab driver there, so that is neat.

Their next song I will show you comes from their 1989 album, Up To Here, which is on of their more successful albums. It is called 38 Years Old. This album was fantastic, so I advise you to check out Blow at High Dough (Opening song for the TV series that inspired the name of this thread), and New Orleans is Sinking (Song that was banned from the radio after Katrina).

Their 92 album was also incredible, entitled Fully Completely, which feature sgreat songs such as 50 Mission Cap, Wheat Kings, and this song I will play for you known as At The Hundredth Meridian, which is a song about the Prairies.

They followed up with that with Day for Night, another successful album in Canada, which featured one of their most played songs, Nautical Disaster, and I will follow suit, playing it here.

Now Tragically Hip are one of out prized positions in Canada, and guess what. Their next album did well as well (They have released 8 albums that went to number 1 here). This song is one of their crown jewels, not my favourite by them, but its their biggest song some would say. It is called Ahead By A Century

I will finish up the rest of their successful career, which is ongoing later. So this is them from their start up until 1996.

Steppenwolf may have opened some serious doors for Canadian Rock. They brought it out in the open before many other bands were learning their first chords. One of the reasons I really were interested in them is the fact, that they were my dad's first album. I thought that was neat, him remembering that at the age of 11, he went and got their vinyl (TM's first tap had a picture of a naked baby in a pool). I am sure you know of them, so I will just put up three songs by them, two of them you should know, as they made it big in the US (For the Americans), and the other one made it semi big in the UK, and Canada.

Born to be Wild

Magic Carpet Ride

Rock Me

I cant think of many Canadian bands personally, but I really do like Anvil. Their an awesome Heavy Metal band, and are seriously underrated. It since their documentary Anvil: The Anvil Sotry, has been released, they have gained more recognition, hopefully, they will finally do well.

Well I only listen to about 2 bands from Canada really, even though I am Canadian myself: Finger Eleven, who I love and have attained decent success, and Cancer Bats, an awesome hardcore punk band. Other than that I don't listen to it, but there have been some great bands from the great white north for fans of older music, like The Guess Who, BTO, etc.

I just fuckin' LOVE me some Canadian music, TM! My favorite band of all times is a little band by the name of Kittie. They've got it all: talent, agression, looks, and that adorable way you Canadians say "aboot". Here's an example of their style, in the form of their newest music video:

[YOUTUBE]rsuTuAVJrF8[/YOUTUBE]

I also noticed you, like me, enjoy the Hip. Great band, and it's a shame they never got over in the States outside of border cities. What are your thoughts on their new record? I've not been able to find it anywhere, and was wondering if it's worth the importing?

Oh, well. Some other bands from my friendly neighbors to the north, which I enjoy, include:

LiveonRelease- For the same reasons as Kittie, apart from the agression.

BTO (Bachman-Turner Overdrive)- These guys are just legends. Lenny Kravitz should be arrested for his cover of American Woman. That was just a crime against humanity.

Tal Bachman- I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for the mid-90's sensitive guy rock. For my money, She's So High is one of the best songs from that movement.

Len- Let's face it, when you hear the chit-chat opening to Steal My Sunshine, and hear that wind-up, you're gonna start dancing.

I'm sure there's more, but my girlfriend is giving me that " Get off your laptop, and watch this fuckin' show with me, or else we're not going to the bar!" look.

We don't say aboot...

Silly Americans and leaving out "u" in words.

The next band I would like to look at is Our Lady Peace.

Now I am only going to do one album from them, and anyone reading this can fill in the rest. That is because it is only one album of their work that I actually love, and with few exceptions stand for the most part.

That album is Clumsy. It came out when I was a wee lad in 1997. I thought, and still think that this is one of the greatest Canadians albums of all time. The raw grit in the vocals inspired me, as well as the pretty good lyrics with their independent themes. Their album would go on to produce five singles, and be one of the first CD's I would buy.

Clumsy

The title track of the album is easily one of the first songs that broke Our Lady Peace through the door. I still remember the music video, and just when I found it again, a rush of memories rushed into my head. The gritty voice is really obvious here in this slow sad song.

Automatic Flowers

Probably one of the best put together songs on the entire album, it never reached the popularity of some of the other singles here in Canada, but it was still a great song.

Superman's Dead

The first song I ever head by the band. I really think that this is one of my favourite songs of my youth. This is actually the song that made me buy their album, so maybe if you have never heard the band, or even this album, give it a try.

Carnival

The least popular of the singles, I hardly remember it is a single. I think if anything, this game just reminds me of Twisted Metal:Black, because I used to listen to it a lot playing that game.

4am

If I really had to pick a song as my favourite song on the album it would be this song. I once had to preform it, and just love to sing along to it.

A band I used to like a lot when they were around was a great Canadian band known as The Tea Party. They had a middle eastern sound mixed with progressive rock. Their biggest hit was a great song known as Heaven's Coming Down that came out 10 years ago. I am not sure if it was nearly as big in America or elsewhere than it was here, but I thought you should all give it a listen and judge its quality.

If you liked this song, I have a few more songs that I think you should listen to. The next sound is The Messenger which did well here as well.

Another song that did well, with a bit more of a rock edge to it is the song Temptation.

Lastly, I thought I would throw up a cover they did of The Rolling Stones's Paint It Black, just as a bribery tool to get you to listen.

TM i appreciate you mentiond our lady peace. I love this band, they are the soul reason i even got into music. The song supermans dead was the first song i heard from them and is my favorite from the band, even favorite song of all time. Its sad to see that you dont like their other albums as much as clumsy, i personally thought clumsy was one of the weaker albums.but ironicly enough it was the first i heard from them.

I love this band for the simple reason that their music is so unique in there sound. there not just about driving power chords and rely souly one one sound. there music can rang from raw and insperational, to soothing and political. Every album brings a different sound, covers different and various themes and topics. Every album sounds different and thats why they have been able to stay fresh to me for so many years. I hate how bands are afraid to tweek their sound. and constantly releasing rehase albums that just sound like the last 3 they put out. Our Lady Peace is a band that isent afraid to explore and experienment with new sounds, they have evolved, not just as a band but as people and musicians and their music has ways of touching you that you never thought music could do. Theres nothing a band cant do if their actually willing to make the effort to do it. A very talent band with very talent musicians.

They have already been mentioned, but my favorite Canadian band is Bachman–Turner Overdrive. I used to own a CD of their greatest hits, unfortunately I don't have it anymore.... I think I might consider trying to find a copy of that CD again, if anything then for this song:

[YOUTUBE]zieau9uzodk&feature=fvw[/YOUTUBE]

"Find Out About Love" was my favorite Bachman–Turner Overdrive song because it's one of those songs that fits great with any given moment, not many songs are like that. It's an awesome song, by an awesome Canadian band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back