Machinima

Ferbian

Has Returned.
First, just for those who don't know what Machinima is, let's have a little definition.

Machinima (pronounced /məˈʃiːnɨmə/ or /məˈʃɪnɨmə/) is the use of real-time graphics rendering engines (a game engine), mostly three-dimensional (3-D), to generate computer animation. The term also refers to works that incorporate this animation technique.

So now that we got that out of the way, Machinima is something that have been around for quite a bit of time. Most popularly made into small mini series with the use of the games Halo, as well as World of Warcraft, as well as many more. Machinima have been the technique behind a lot of popular series like Red vs Blue, the ever popular South Park version of World of Warcraft (Make Love, Not Warcraft).

So basically the technique of creating Machinima videos, are pretty much movie-making with the use of 3-D animations, and that's pretty much what part of this thread will be about, which I'll get back to later on.

Machinima have showed a complete new aspect of the video gaming world, or maybe not so much the gaming aspect, but more of the film-directing aspect of it, something that Machinima, while still being somewhat of an advanced technique, simplifies in the way that it obviously doesn't take as much to create a Machinima movie, as it does to create a real movie, that being in the production department when it comes to budgets, cast (Which is still needed, but obviously it allows for anybody with a voice to be in it).

But of course Machinima in itself has some limitations. At least when we look at it from a genre aspect. You can always do something about the usage of Fraps, or what other video recording program you can implement into, for example a RTS game, or a general FPS game. Which are also popular as ever, however there's always gonna be a limitation in the way that Machinima most likely wouldn't be as popular, or as successful within a game-play of the likes of Warcraft 3, Age of Empire etc. Where as the game-play of Halo, Battlefield, Counter-Strike, World of Warcraft, etc. automatically creates for a much more watchable, as well as enjoyable production.

With this in mind, I'll get down to the questions.

Do you think Machinima could become a bright part of the future movie-making techniques in regular cinematic movies compared to simply Youtube uploaded movies?

What is your general thought about Machinima? Any personal experiences perhaps?
[/LIST]

You raise a good question on it's techniques being capitalized on within the actual film industry, but I'm going to be completely honest with this question by saying that Hollywood will most likely not ever use Machinima techniques for films. Basically a Machinima is a video game animation in it's own right. People move game characters around to make funny little videos for the internet. I don't see it being used outside of the internet. Unless they actually used the game to make a movie on the game they're using Machinima techniques for, but if you reslly think about it would probably flop on it's ass. These techniques will remain for internet video makers to satisfy their hobbies and nothing more.

My general thoughts on Machinima are that they are generally fun videos to watch. The creativity of some of these people and their choices of games they use are at times phenomenal. Their writing usually quite superb for such simple videos as well, and this also benefits if you have a series because the great stories used in each epsiode will draw those viewers back. I first got into Machinima when I found Shippidge's channel on YouTube, he currently makes my favorite Machinima "Smashtasm" which uses Super Smash Bros. Brawl as the game they use for it's production. I'm also a fan of any Machimas that use Garry's Mod, they always provide some great laughs and skit providing what you can do in that sandbox environment of that game. If I were to pick a favorite Garry's Mod Machinimator though it would have to DasBoSchitt he seems to be the best at making episodes with it, you can check him out on YouTube. All in all it's great for internet video makers to excel on YouTube and other media sharing sites, but it would most likely never catch on in the film making industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back