Louis Theroux on wrestling

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Watched his documentary from 98 on wrestling. Was interesting to notice a few things:

- Macho Man blanks him completly.
- Goldberg does an interview and tells him about the Power Plant.
- Piper seems a genuinely nice bloke who took pride in talking to Louis despite "Just walking through the door".
- Sarge from the Power Plant seems a dick, he misinterpreted something Louis said and then singled him out during training.
- Pistol Pez Whatley seemed to get what Louis was trying to do and had a huge level of respect for him.

Piper just knew how to reach around journalists. Sarge has short man syndrome. Raven expecting Theroux to know who he was didn't seem so unlikely in 1998.

Piper just knew how to reach around journalists. Sarge has short man syndrome. Raven expecting Theroux to know who he was didn't seem so unlikely in 1998.

Yeah that was pretty funny.

Goldberg was the one that impressed me the most.

He was really sound actually. Talked to Louis and not in a defensive way, told him about the Power Plant.

My fav bit is the part when he notes about Flair being taken away to a mental hospital as part of the storyline.

I haven't seen this for a while but I suspect that Theroux actually knew much more than he let on, and sort of plays the willing rube and asks the sort of questions that the average outsider thinks at home. My only real evidence for this is the episode where he meets various Dirty South rappers and appears shocked at the lengths they'll go to seem legit - except he used to write letters to The Source under the pseudonym The King Lou E and is generally a humongous rap fan.

DeWayne Bruce came across like a complete turd is my only lasting impression of the entire episode. It would be nice if someone could make a populist and popularising documentary about contemporary wrestling that comes at it with a bit of knowledge, but then again I think the workers might close ranks to protect the business. Wrestlers can be a bit like Christian conservatives, assuming that the media is out to mock them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back