Los Matadores: Why?

MartialHorror

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I'd have to say that this group is probably worse than the New Day, who occasionally can be amusing and have decent spots. It's a stupid gimmick that's also kind of racist, but doesn't even make sense as they should be trying to kill el Torito. Maybe it would work if they acted the parts during their matches, having more spots where they swiftly evade enemies like a matador does a bull. I mean, it probably wouldn't get them over, but it would at least make sense. Otherwise, what does bull fighting have to do with wrestling?

But since late 2013- when I started watching again- they have NEVER been over with any of the crowds on Raw, Smackdown or PPV's. El Torito briefly got over during his program with Hornswoggle, but once WWE started forcing them down our throats, the crowds reacted with "This is stupid!". And it was.

Whenever WWE tries to make them into Tag Team competitors, they always cop out and add more teams into the mix because no one cares about Los Matadores on their own. So at best, they're padding so that every Tag Team Championship matches isn't "Uso's Vs heels".

As for their in-ring abilities, they're athletic but it always seems like they move too fast. The timing from their opponents always seems off, so their moves look awkward. Yet this might not be their fault as their matches aren't very long and they might just be trying to get in as much as possible. But I've yet to see them tear down the house. I'm not a big fan of the Uso's, but they are capable of providing awesome matches. I've also seen awesome matches from the less athletic Dust Brothers and even Miz/Dow. The match quality from Los Matadores tend to be more mediocre, even though it seems like they can do better.

So...why is Vince sticking with this gimmick? Are they really popular in Mexico? Would Mexicans really appreciate such a stereotypical gimmick? I think they should split up, have one retain the gimmick but start teaming up with El Torito- who can sometimes impress audiences but doesn't wrestle enough. They'd be comedy jobbers, but at least they'd be a little bit more interesting if Torito became a full time competitor. The other one can get another gimmick. Although maybe both will be released in the next wave. With the Lucha Dragons appearing on the main roster, it doesn't look good for them.

But what do you guys think? Is there any way they can get over? Should they be repackaged? Why won't Vince let this go?

They don't need to "get over". They serve their own purpose which is to cater to a youthful market which they probably are over with, the children. They aren't likely to win a Tag Team title at this rate and fill a spot in the tag team division. They aren't doing anything to upset the crowd to the point of booing them. Until more NXT tag teams are ready, they are fine in the division to put over other tag teams with the occasional victory to keep them relatively strong.

They need to be repackaged if they want to be taken seriously. They can just amuse the kids with their high flying moves. No need to dumb down for kids.

not all wrestlers make an impact from the crowd. most of them failed. right now bryan, ziggler, ambrose, Rollins (some times), mizdow (bcoz of miz), are only fan favorite. who ever against cena and roman are temperory fan favorite.
so most of wrestlers are sucks. it doesnt mean they failed.

These guys are painful to watch from an IWC perspective, but as poster above mentioned, they cater to the kids. They're job is to go out there, do there little shtick for 5-8 minutes, take a loss, and plug El Torito. They're never going to win the Tag Titles (hopefully), but I think they'll be in the tag scene for at least another year... As horribly boring as I find them as well, I can deal with them on my TV scree for 10 minutes a week.

Diego and Fernando are decent wrestlers- as Primo and Epico they are former WWE Tag Team Champions, and are members of the Colon wrestling dynasty. Apparently, this whole Los Matadores gimmick was their idea, as they were fed up with not being on TV and thought this would be a way of getting them more TV time, which it is proving to be.

However, I've said numerous times I think the whole gimmick is awful. It's really not to my tastes, although it does seem to be quite popular with kids. I just think its a waste of 2 talented guys, who are more than capable of being a respected tag team again, either as "Primo" and "Epico" or under their real names of "Eddie Colon" and "Orlando Colon". This "Inter-species tag match" we saw recently was embarassing to me as a wrestling fan. I don't see how putting them with a midget and sticking stupid masks on them makes them more entertaining.

If they are to be jobbers, so be it...but get rid of the stupid gimmick Vince, please!

Are they really popular in Mexico? Would Mexicans really appreciate such a stereotypical gimmick?

I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Nationalism runs high and pro wrestling is a great place to put it on stage. It works in the U.S. too, where we see "cowboys" who are supposed to represent the American west, and we cheer for them because they're "ours." Nationalism is the same reason we boo Russians, no?

I thought Los Matadores were going to replace 3MB as a "joke" tag team, and was surprised when they started winning a few matches. But it's good; these guys are terrific workers and really know their way around the ring. I like the way they've combined high-flying tactics with some classic ring wrestling.

These days, we're asking for some variety in the tag team division, yet pro wrestling seems to find it difficult to find real teams, rather than two people just thrown together and calling themselves a tag team. I think the Matadores are a genuine team and they make an impact......although I wouldn't mind them toning down the stereotypical ("Ole!") stuff.

At the last house show I was at a month or so ago, Los Matadores was there with the little bull. It was the first time I had seen them live, and while they are good in the ring, not great but good, the little bull got more cheers than they did.

As a matter of fact the crowd was rather dead for them, even that stupid "Ole" chant the do every two minutes. That was kind of surprising because they cheer everyone at house shows. I appreciate the athleticism of some of the moves they do, and they are very athletic, but the whole gimmick is just kind of well, ridiculous.

The tag team division isn't that great, and we've just lost the Dust Brothers, Harper and Rowan, so losing another team isn't a fantastic idea. Repackage them, God knows Vince has a great mind of stupid ideas, and release them to the public again. Better than getting rid of a good tag team anyway.

They serve a purpose which is to be mildly entertaining enough to be 'faces' and then job to heel tag teams.

It's pretty easy heat if a heel tag team attacks the bull and there's nothing really wrong with a little cheap heat while a tag team is building momentum.

I understand why they got repackaged as masked bull fighters because as Primo and Epico they were former tag champs and were seen as too 'boring' to be appreciated as faces.

What I don't get is why they don't wear red in every attire they have and why they don't have a red flag they pull out and make their opponents miss them by sidestepping them like they would in a bull fight. That would make more sense and I'm sure be a little more entertaining.

WWE often forgets to care about the little things and characters if they don't see them as very important.

Los Matadores will probably stay for another year because, like I said, they serve a purpose that people often forget IS NEEDED in Pro Wrestling. You NEED mid-card jobbers who are only mildly entertaining because if you want to build a team like Cesaro & Kidd they have to occasionally beat a mid-card jobbing team so you aren't giving away Cesaro & Kidd vs Sin Cara & Kalisto on free TV all the time.

They can keep them around as jobbers if they want,but whatever spot they filled seriously now belongs to the Lucha Dragons. Torito should also join the Lucha Dragons as he is a fantastic liittle lucha and should be with "his kind"(talented luchas), not a couple of go-nowhere jobbers. They could make him a sweet little dragon outfit....

Keep the gimmick, start a feud between them and the Can-Swiss Connection. Then have em win the belts, then start a feud with the Wreste Dragons, and drop the belts to them. Then Dragons vs CanSwiss feud.

Make em do promos in Spanish with subtitles on the screen for the dummies who don't understand. They deserve a title run, they are good wrestlers.

OMG. These guys are hilarious. Come on. They are meant to not be taking serious. They are a couple of El Matadors, that could be related to Tito Santana (I'll bet my only 20 peso... they are not, that does spots that look dangerous. Do you really want Primo and Epico to not have the Colons name in there title again?

In the words of Carly Colon... "That wouldn't be cool."

It's the cheap looking masks that annoy me .... they need to take them off and just be primo & epic.

They could turn heel and beat up El Torito for stealing the spotlight.
They could also go as far as saying that the Colon Dynasty gets no respect compared to the Samoan Dynasty. This would instantly set up a feud with the Usos. I know for sure the matches that they would put on would be great!

El Torito could be the next Hornswoggle....or send him to Lucha Underground

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back